Author Topic: 1080 Avalanche --- Talk about it here ! ! !  (Read 11473 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: 1080 Avalanche
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2003, 01:33:47 PM »
Unstable, like various parts of Rebel Strike.  It's 30fps or 60fps depending on particle activity.  If there's considerable particle/destruction activity (which is often) then it's almost surely 30fps.  Once the activity is off the screen, back to 60fps.  So far I've only played the first 2 circuits.  I can't remember if 60 occurs more often than 30, because I'm busy enjoying the downhill speed and the course activity.  Of course, framerate changes don't mean literal slow-down:  speed is consistent and movement is still accurate, it's just there's less frames per second being drawn at points.

If you pessimistically see the framerate mainly as 30fps, then you're basically watching "Wave Race: Snow Storm," which still moves well under some perspectives.  There's a variety of reasons why the framerate drops, and arguably they all boil down to advanced particle, animation, and texture systems (the snow *does* seem softer and powdery to *me*, unlike what I experienced in SSX3/PS2).
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2003, 04:16:40 PM »
I love you, Akari-chan.

You did so much better than Kaori.  You also speak english.

Offline mjbd

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:1080 Avalanche
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2003, 05:27:04 PM »
A constant 30fps is better than 60 to 30 back to 60fps.  Wave Race runs great at 30fps, but it never drops either.  NST probably should have been working for a locked 30fps rather than 60; due to time contraints.  
Formerly Known As Mike_OPN2000

Offline Anbesol

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2003, 07:55:07 AM »
well - speaking as someone who has completed most of teh games challenges - i should say this game is sheer genuis...  its the perfect sequel to the excellent 1080.  the tricks are slightly easier to pull off, and you have more of a jump than in the original, aside from that, all of teh amazingly solid gameplay mechanics have stayed in this game - if you ever even THOUGHT, had a minor IDEA of picking up this game, do yourself a favor adn pick it up, you will NOT be disappointed.

Offline Gilgamesh

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2003, 08:23:26 AM »
I guess it's a rental at best.

Didn't really do anything other board games aren't doing.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2003, 09:42:13 AM »
Besides the fact it's the best sim out there?
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Anbesol

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2003, 10:30:10 AM »
""Didn't really do anything other board games aren't doing. ""

WOAH!  Stop there son.

youre talking to the biggest snowboarding game fanatic out there.  right now, there are only 3 contenders for the trophy (cool boarders sucks my schlong)..  ssx obviously, amped, and 1080.  as a huge fan of all those games, and a player of each game in the series (ssx, tricky, ssx 3, amped, amped 2, 1080, 1080 avalanche).  1080 is the most realistic of them all.  first off - it has avalanches, like, SERIOUS avalanches - ssx 3 made an attempt at that, but didnt pull it off nearly as well as 1080.  then, lets look at the trick attack.  none of the games have an Air make, and everybody whos played 1080 knows how great that air make can be.

bagh, im ranting, i'll stop, lets just leave it at 1080 does a LOT of new things, adn does  a lot of things that arent new, but havent been done before in games.  its a realistic simulator, placing emphassis moer on speed than on tricks...

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2003, 05:41:14 PM »
I wish they kept Akari-chan's conceptual "red" costume instead of the violet-themed one she has now.  The old one was much cuter.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2003, 05:44:19 PM »
There are unlockable costumes, so maybe it's in there...

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2003, 06:44:03 PM »
No, unfortunately not.  But Akari-chan's unlockable costume does show her with less-than-a-sweater and she's got pretty nice hair.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2003, 07:29:05 PM »
Want some more weirdness?  Look at some early Screens.  There is this guy (who I believe is Ryota Hayami from WaveRace) with black pants and weird suspenders, which I guess was just fodder for the whole Wind-clothes-shaking deal (sorta like Tara's Hair), which I think is so neat.  Even the original had it, but you had to fall a long way.  But back on topic.  This guy isn't in the game... anywhere... ever.  Weird.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline CreedDBZ

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2003, 07:56:37 PM »
I've played 1080 and I must say I came away seriously disappointed.  For a while I had a debate over getting SSX3 or 1080.  All i have to say is that im glad i jumped at SSX3 when it dropped because that game is insane.  I can understand if you like realism, then you would probably go for 1080, but the fact is, half of the people buying these games have never even seen snow, so go for the fun and pick up SSX3.  Oh, and before you decide to jump down my back about the snow comment, yes i have seen snow, i live in the northeast.  In fact its snowing right now, and yes I do snowboard.  SSX3 ROCKS!!!
The Hunter is among us ...

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2003, 01:55:29 AM »
"half of the people buying these games have never even seen snow, "

I was born and raised in Winnipeg, Manitoba (the coldest average temperature of any city in the world with a pop of over 500K)
so I know snow, and really do hate the crap.
Now I think they should make a snow shovelling sim. You have a shovel that attaches to your gamecube and a driveway on the screen. When you start the game, you have 3 feet of snow in the dam driveway, you then shovel it. Then a plow drives by and creates a 2 foot wall of ice at the base of the driveway from clearing the street, you then spend a few backbreaking hours on it. Repeat untill you have a heart attack. This is why I dont like sims. Now who would play INSANE SHOVELING M'FER from rockstar????
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline yellowfellow

• I have become comfortably numb.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2003, 05:47:58 AM »
maybe your idea could be related to the "new innovative" product due int he spring... think about it... what do kids hate most around the home? chores... right? so they make a new pokemon-collecting-MMORPG-build-my-charizard-up-to-kill-your-bulbasaur game with an exercise/activity monitor... thus, when a kid does his chores or is active the monitor will take note and award "points" or something to the kid to use in the online world! this will be a huge seller... every parent around the world will buy this system game and accessories for their kids and finally get them to complete even the most tedious tasks like weeding the garden...

yes... i am so messed in the head... marketing here i come
procrastination and masturbation are fine, until you realize you're only screwing yourself

Offline Smashman

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2003, 11:59:43 AM »
I don't know about this. I dislike these, along with Tony Hawk, and virtually ALL sports games.
I am the one and only Smashman. Don't believe me? Well, then. I shall entomb you!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2003, 12:44:57 PM »
I hate all sports games besides 1080, SSX, and Mario Tennis, so you might like it...You never know until you try

Offline Molobert

• topo de oro
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2003, 03:42:53 PM »
I dislike sports games too, with the same exceptions as Bill, +Mario Golf. If you can, try out a demo at Best Buy or something, I did and really liked 1080 (even though the course was really short).  

Offline mjbd

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2003, 04:33:14 PM »
Anyone else looking forward to playing this one online?  I am getting 1080 for christmas, so just a few weeks to go.  I have just about everything I need to get online with warppipe, and hopefully I will be playing Mario Kart online by the end of the week.  But 1080 could be really sweet online, racing against others was my favorite part of 1080 on the N64, so hopefully warppipe gets 1080 running within the next few weeks.

Offline mjbd

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2003, 04:37:26 PM »
Anyone who has this game needs to get warppipe and play online.  1080 plays at full speed with a ping of about 50-60.  

Offline dalmation10k

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2003, 06:01:22 PM »
The original 1080 was the most enjoyable sports game I ever played, but I hear the 'avalanche' has lost most of the "leveling your board to match the angle of the terrain" mechanic. Which was where all the skill was involved, and the basis of the entire gameplay mechanics. How can it keep the challenge/fun if this is taken away?
Don't you want to know how we keep starting fires?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2003, 01:48:26 AM »
With good racing.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2003, 01:11:18 PM »
Errr...You do just as much "leveling" in this game as you did the last...

Offline animex

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2003, 01:50:21 PM »
i just beat hard avalanche, it was crazey, gonna beat expert mode now
http://SONY.PS(hit)2.PS(hit)P.MICROSOCKS.G(ay)BOX.HA(b)LO.HA(b)LO2.BILL.G(ay)TES

Offline panoramical

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2003, 05:06:07 AM »
1080 Avalanche = the best snowboarding game ever. FULL STOP.

It rips the crap off SSX3, i would suggest to anyone that they should go out and by 1080 now. NOW!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2003, 07:52:48 AM »
I like your attitude!