Author Topic: Apple Computer Cube<-->Nintendo GameCube  (Read 3826 times)

Offline mgcman

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Apple Computer Cube<-->Nintendo GameCube
« on: November 14, 2003, 02:48:46 AM »
Rumors are circulating that Apple's next iMac will have newly designed base in the shape of a cube (instead of a half-dome) and will be released next year around the same time as Nintendo's new console.  

The Mac<-->GameCube convergence is beginning.  See MacGameCube for the complete story

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
RE:Apple Computer Cube<-->Nintendo GameCube
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2003, 06:19:02 AM »
Interesting read, but i disagree with some of the comments.  Who the hell knows what theyre cooking up. This is as likely as any other rumor.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2003, 10:17:24 AM »
iMacs are not in production any more only eMac, apple notebooks,G4,G5.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Clock Nova

• View Profile
RE: Apple Computer Cube<-->Nintendo GameCube
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2003, 11:17:33 AM »
No, that's incorrect.  iMacs are very much in production, and are more popular than ever.  Perhaps you are confusing the termination of the old, gumdrop-shaped iMac in favor of the new, flat-screen iMacs?

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2003, 11:29:09 AM »
Bill Gates invested money in Apple just to keep it in business, so Microsoft wouldn't be considered a Monoply. That's how pathetic Mac really is.

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2003, 11:50:17 AM »
Existing thread

The concept is still ridiculous and this is the wrong forum. Take it to the existing thread.
"wow."

Offline the_zombie_luke

• Baron of Game On
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2003, 11:50:46 AM »

Originally posted by: Nintendo Gamecube
Bill Gates invested money in Apple just to keep it in business, so Microsoft wouldn't be considered a Monoply. That's how pathetic Mac really is.

That's the funniest post I've seen in awhile. I'm sure MS is paying for their competitors. That's the secret of their success.

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2003, 01:51:07 PM »
Macs are not pathetic. They work just fine. I've used Macs all my life and I have not once wished for a PC. I don't think Apple making the new iMac cube shaped means anything though. Now, if their new computers looked like what the N5 will look like, then they might be on to something.
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2003, 02:02:51 PM »
Hmm, I have said this in three threads already.

Investing in apple is beyond useless.  It would be like nintendo announcing that they are going to have Dell build their next console.  Listen to me once, and listen well, apple does not make any core parts or core perifferals anymore.  They haven't for several years.  Every part they have used in recent memory has been produced by another company.  

Lets look at Powermac G5

CPU (IBM PPC970)
Chipset (Designed by IBM)
Superdrive (name of company evades me, sorry, but it is a converted PC drive)
S ATA drive, once again bought
Memory, bought
Case, designed by Lian Li

Honestly the only parts I can even think of that might have been designed are the displays.  And as it is, they cost an arm and a leg, and wont see use in handheld and especially home consoles.

Offline scaryogre

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2003, 07:32:01 PM »
I have worked in the IT field for 12 years now out of college.  I agree that Macs used to suck.

However, if you haven't seen an Apple computer since Mac OS X was released then you are doing yourself a great disservice.  OS X is UNIX based and is the best operating system around bar none.  Go to a local Apple reseller (or Apple Store) and check it out for yourself.

I still have a Windows PC for games, but after OS X came out I bought THREE Macs.  One for my wife, and a 17" Widescreen iMac and Powerbook for me.  Trust me...I know where you are coming from, but things have really changed and I was the biggest skeptic around...

Now I use my Macs for everything with one exception...games.  That's why this Nintendo thing has me interested.  Nintendo and Apple are very similar companies in many respects.  They both have a fanatically loyal user base and they both focus on quality.  Have an open mind and give a look...I don't think you will be disappointed.

scaryogre  

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2003, 08:09:05 PM »
Eerr manunited4eva22 Apple has never made it's own parts. Thier hardware design projects have always been farmed out and as for hard drives and RAM there is no point developing any of our own when there is such a wide field to chosse from.

IBM has always been Apple's partner ever since the inception of the PowerMac. Montrola was there but has some what fallen out of the tech race against IBM.

I mean would you say the same thing to Nintendo if they had the same system? And yes they do you the same business model for thier hardware. Nintendo did farm out thier hardware needs. Same with everybody else out there. Microsoft does it. The difference is they don't have a direct hand in to the hardware design.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2003, 03:30:17 AM »
My point is why go through a useless middle man.  You don't waste money on a company that isn't going to get you what you want.  You go to the companies whose parts you specifically want.  

Remember, Nintendo didn't set up a contract with an outsourcing of IBM, nor ArtX, nor Factor 5.  It would have been pointless to hire another company to do a job they are perfectly capable of doing internally.

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2003, 03:48:48 AM »
Microsoft actually did invest in Apple, it was 10 percentish.  I believe the shares were sold by now.

Macs are quite good now, the OS is based on BSD and the gui looks a lot like KDE with a kicker.  The kick gets kind of annoying, but no big deal.  The big deal now is the price, definalty too expensive for a lot of people.  Especially when I can put together my own windows/linux based pc.  Definatly not a pathetic company though.

Offline Clock Nova

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2003, 04:17:07 PM »

Originally posted by: oohhboy
Eerr manunited4eva22 Apple has never made it's own parts. Thier hardware design projects have always been farmed out...

This is also incorrect.  Every computer Apple makes is designed in-house by their own industrial design team, headed by Jonathan Ive.  Much of the parts they use inside the box are third party, but the overall machine is Apple born and bred.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2003, 11:43:22 PM »
Thanks for the correction Nova.

Offline StRaNgE

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2003, 04:49:07 PM »

Originally posted by: Nintendo Gamecube

oh so that explains why "PC magazine" uses macs to create the layout of each issue?

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2003, 05:28:18 PM »
Ha ha! Where's the irony in THAT?  
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2003, 10:45:48 AM »
And thats why macs use microsoft word right?  The whole mac-pc arguement is a joke.

Mac's hardware team is so far behind when it comes to core peripherals.  The chipset for the G5 is almost identical to workstation boards designed by IBM.  That's more than a coincidence.

Offline ghostVi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2003, 11:28:32 AM »
It's actually G5 that pushed Xeon out of the 3rd place on the top 500 super-computers list...

http://www.top500.org/list/2003/11/

Offline babble

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2003, 02:48:37 PM »
I thought all PC trolls were dead. Guess I was wrong...
All consoles are great, but not all games.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2003, 03:29:38 PM »
Big Mac is a great accomplishment, there is no doubt on that.  Either way, what the supercomputer is used for is more important than the processor used.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2003, 11:16:30 PM »

Originally posted by: manunited4eva22
And thats why macs use microsoft word right?  The whole mac-pc arguement is a joke.

More like "Macs can use Microsoft word". You don't have to use it if you don't want to. Theres apple Works and then theres that open source one for MacOSX. Alibe Word(sp?) I believe.

Look manunited4eva22, normally I respect your posts, but your really getting out of hand here. But I don't blame you. I blame NintendoGamecube there for starting this mess in the first place.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2003, 07:04:42 AM »
My point was that the whole arguement is about as two faced of one as you can get, believe me I really don't care what you use.  The fact is, you can't claim one way or another very much about mac to pc, and even when you can, it always turns into a flame war.  

If thats where this is headed, I'm not going to be involved, I just want someone to show some earthly proof of this entirely BS claim.