Author Topic: Goblin Commander  (Read 3649 times)

Offline benomoth

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Goblin Commander
« on: November 12, 2003, 11:51:15 AM »
I just recently heard about this game and think it could be good. It has ex-Blizzard members also! I was wondering if anyone has read about or played a demo of this and how it plays
Be smooth

Offline babble

• View Profile
RE:Goblin Commander
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2003, 12:17:35 PM »
Yes. Same here. Just read about it. Finaly, a RTS game made for a console. This game should be great. There's no reason a strategy game made for a console coudn't be good. Just look at AW.
All consoles are great, but not all games.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2003, 09:55:02 AM »
The last RTS for a console was StarCraft 64 and i dont think anyone was raveing about that one.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Crono

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2003, 05:16:09 PM »
does it have lan? If it does that would be cool!
Current games im playing : Total Annihilation Kingdoms (PC) True Crime Streets Of LA. (GC) Soul Caliber II (GC) Xenogears (PSX)
Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II (GC)

Offline Rob91883

• (Bro Dude)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2003, 06:23:59 PM »
This game was made for consoles in mind, and the ex Blizzard talent just might to the trick to make this a fun game................maybe even......shall I dare......a AAA game.(maybe)
MINKA would say," Whooo iz numba wan!!!??"

Im from California, sorry if I say dude a lot.

Offline babble

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2003, 01:55:03 AM »

Originally posted by: Lord_die_seis
The last RTS for a console was StarCraft 64 and i dont think anyone was raveing about that one.

My point, SC64 was a port of a PC RTS. Now Gobling Commander is built from the ground up for consoles.
All consoles are great, but not all games.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2003, 11:50:20 AM »

Originally posted by: Lord_die_seis

Yeah, the last RTS except for all the others that have come out in the last several years.

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
RE: Goblin Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2003, 01:31:18 PM »
I've heard that this game is similar to Pikmin, can anyone verify that?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2003, 10:03:40 PM »
This game wasn't planned for the GC at first. Back when Sumguy pimped some of his stuff in that game over at Polycount, he said it was for PS2 and XB, when I asked him he said "Third party games don't sell on Gamecube". Maybe the pricedrop made them change their minds.

Offline Ocarina Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2003, 11:08:20 PM »
No, this game was announced for the GC before the price drop. It's gameplay is basicly a combat orientated RTS that was designed to work with console controllers. The twist is that the 'fog of war' can be avoided if you switch into first-person view of one of your commanders. That's what I remember reading from it's website a while ago, anyway.
Om mani padme hum.

Offline GameMaster132

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2004, 05:08:26 PM »
                         well, I've played this game and am still playing, and so far its a great game.  The Ex-Blizzard staff have succesfully made a good RTS for a console in my opinion.  It has fine graphics, 5 different goblin clans to choose from, and a single player campaign with a great storyline, which I'm on the verge of beating.  Also, the controls seem a little complicated at first, but if you play the first two missions (which are just an exxagerated tutorial) then you will understand them almost perfectly.  
                         Along with all these good features, Since it is on the gamecube, you have the option to take direct control of your goblin hordes, which adds even more on to this great gaming experience.  It has plenty of strategy, as all 5 of the different goblin clans have their unique advantages and disadvantages, and all the clans have their own titan, which is basically the ultimate unit on the battlefield.  
                        So if you are thinking about buying a game for the gamecube any time soon, I would strongly advise you to buy this game!
**Games that Rock**- Goblin Commander,Mario Kart Double Dash, Age of Empires, Starcraft, Simpsons Hit&Run.

Offline Ocarina_Jedi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2004, 01:04:18 PM »
I picked this game up eagerly because I've been drooling in anticipation for a console RTS since Starcraft 64.  After I got it I went back to Starcraft.  Don't get me wrong, this is the best console-designed RTS out there.   My main beef with the game is that in dumbing it down for RTS newbies, they made it too...limited.  True, there are five different clans to choose from, each with their own unique abilities, but you can only use three clans at a given time.  Plus, you are only allowed to have ten units per clan, and one titan.  Not one titan per clan, one titan at any given time.  In Starcraft, you had to build a buttload of buildings to get all of the available units and upgrades.  In Goblin, you have a clanhouse for each clan and one hall of titans for all your clans.  The clanhouse houses all your units and upgrades and the hall has each titan and defense turret for each clan.  And why are you allowed to build only three turrets?  That doesn't make sense at all.  Somewhere during the process of simplifying this game for consoles, they made it too easy for people who have played other RTS's before.  There isn't much strategy to it at all.  The only real choices you have to make are: "Will I send more ranged or melee units?" "If I bother to build turrets, where will I put them?" and "Should I use a Titan? If so, which one?"
The game is well-done though.  The graphics are good, and the difficulty progresses nicely along with the story.  The thing is, if you were expecting an RTS of Blizzard quality, you're not going to get it here.
I've gotta say what I've gotta say, and then I swear I'll go away, but I can't promise you'll enjoy the noise.

Offline GameMaster132

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2004, 03:37:32 PM »
I would have to disagree with some of that.  Yes, You may only be able to play 3 clans at once, but there really wouldn't be much strategy if each player could play all 5.  You have to combine the clans wisely (unless your playing the single player campaign, in which they choose your starting clans for you).  For example, you could have one melee clan, one ranged clan, and one effect clan, or you could have two ranged clans and a speed clan.  
               Also, If you could play all of your titans at once, that would be wothless, because you have to manually control each titan.  And about the turrets, if you could build as many as you wanted, there would be too much defense for the limited number of goblins to break through, and if they played as a ranged clan such as hellfire (my favorite :-) ) then you would spend all of those resources for nothing, because they could take out the turrets one by one, as their range is longer then the turrets.  
                And although you can only play 10 goblins at a time (and one titan), this adds to the strategy of the game.  You have to choose which of the 5 types of goblins under your command to put in your group of 10, which could alter the battle.  
**Games that Rock**- Goblin Commander,Mario Kart Double Dash, Age of Empires, Starcraft, Simpsons Hit&Run.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2004, 12:31:01 PM »
the game was headed by the producer of Starcraft, who left Blizzard and joined Jaleco with his brother who also used to work at Blizzard and was a key man in designing WC2

Offline Oldskool

• Maker of Fine Straitjackets since 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2004, 12:44:14 PM »
Lets just hope its not as simplistic as it looks. Although I shouldn't judge by the games's graphics.
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. Smells like victory!"

Proudly using my Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D laptop.

Offline Ocarina_Jedi

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2004, 12:51:12 PM »

Originally posted by: joeamis
the game was headed by the producer of Starcraft, who left Blizzard and joined Jaleco with his brother who also used to work at Blizzard and was a key man in designing WC2

Yes we know this.  That's why I was saying that it is not of the Blizzard quality people probably expected.  

Gamemaster, I know it would be impractical to have all of your titans in play at once, and to allow unlimited units and turrets.  Starcraft limited what you could build as well, but the limit was much higher.  During the single-player campaign, there was one part during the third (maybe fourth, I can't remeber) mission where my Hellfires had to penetrate through Plaguespitter territroy.  My forces were repeatedly defeated and pushed back because it was my one clan verses two Plaguespitter clans.  Was I dismayed at this disadvantage?  No.  Because I knew that I could simply pump out more units and send them to the battlefield as soon as the first ones died.  This might sound convienient, and really it is.  But it is devoid of challenge.  Oh, I long for the firefights between zerglings and marines...no matter who outnumbered who in those battles, you never knew who would emerge victorious...
I've gotta say what I've gotta say, and then I swear I'll go away, but I can't promise you'll enjoy the noise.

Offline Pinnacle

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2004, 01:43:30 PM »
I happen to like it alot but you don't like console style RTS games and are more into Pc style RTS then you may want to pass on it.