Author Topic: Mario kart.....should I bother??  (Read 7754 times)

Offline Bobthecow2357

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Mario kart.....should I bother??
« on: November 12, 2003, 12:39:29 AM »
First off to get mario kart I would have to go and sell ROTK and Viewtiful Joe to a friend...do you guys think that mario kart DD would be woth it to get rid of those games?...I've beaten them both, but after reading ign.com's review of MKDD it doesnt seem like MKDD gonna be all that special. But I really need a good four player game to play with my siblings...so what do you guys think?

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
RE: Mario kart.....should I bother??
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2003, 01:06:42 AM »
Dont listen to that review. EVERY other review has given it over 90%, Mario Kart Double Dash is a brilliant game, theres something up with IGNs review. I think you dont need to worry about MKDD's quality, and if you really want to sell those two games, then by all means do it and get Mario kart.

Here is a much better review http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=53660

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Mario kart.....should I bother??
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2003, 02:58:53 AM »
Well, it was kind of hard for IGN to accurately review Mario Kart... considering their head is up Sony's ass...

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2003, 03:10:04 AM »
Just wait and see what a few more sites have to say, I personally think gamespot has the best reviews, even though I disagree with a few of them, overall they are the most consistant with my own feelings.  
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline babble

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2003, 04:48:17 AM »
I agree with my fellow posters. Something is up with IGN's review. I'm not one that cries when a game I like doesn't get all 10's. But, the negative way that IGN's reviewer talked about each point in the game is weird. He always starts each of his points by a negative approach to finally finish up and say that it's good or something. Look's like a newby critic for IGN who would like to get some recognition...
All consoles are great, but not all games.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2003, 05:17:13 AM »
Yeah, I usually blend IGN's and GS's reviews to get a more accurate rating myself.

Found that works the best.

Or you could just rent the game :0.  

Offline CaseyRyback

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2003, 05:46:55 AM »
I think its that Matt did not review the game and it was Mary Jane. Also they only got the US version like 2 days ago and the review went up yesterday. they should use Japanese version for previews but always review the Us version since there might be differences

In Gamespots preview they said it fixed all the faults there were in the game from Mario Kart 64, so if MK64 was flawed and the flaws are fixed I expect it to be fun

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2003, 05:59:47 AM »
I would not necessarily get rid of viewtiful joe and ROTK.  They are both exceptional games.  Try waiting until you have the money to get mario kart.  It is a must have, but if you can hold out until you can get more cash that would be better.  Im saying this because im sort of a collector.  Even if I dont play a game I keep it just to have it in my library(only great games of course).
How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2003, 06:41:41 AM »
I tend not to trust reviews in general, since my taste in games is often quite bizarre.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2003, 07:00:10 AM »
IGN didn't give Mario Kart a great review?  That's surprising.  They usually like everything.  Maybe they should have had the IGN Xbox guys review it since they give everything a 9.

Back when Super Mario Sunshine came out almost everybody gave it a very favourable review.  Then the general gaming population played it and felt that it wasn't as good as everyone said.  Critics were accused of falling for hype.  Therefore it's possible that IGN is giving Mario Kart a lower score than most people are so that if the same situation happens again then they don't have egg on their face.

Since most reviews these days are all over the place I never trust any one site.  I'm a big fan of gamerankings.com and I usually read several reviews for games I'm interested in.  Read a lot of reviews and you will usually be able to see what the general flaws of the game are and then decide if they're flaws you can deal with.

I think Mario Kart will be worth owning when these various tunneling projects are working and all of us are racing each other online.  Even if the game is a cookie-cutter sequel of Mario Kart 64 we certainly won't care then.

Offline VideoGamerX

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2003, 07:20:28 AM »
It wasn't Mary Jane who wrote the Double Dash review. Fran wrote it. Mary Jane just included her comments at the end. I for one think IGN did a comprehensive honest review of the game. They have legit complaints that I think will match our own.

That doesn't mean Mario Kart isn't a good game, but it's not the second coming.

Oh well. We can't have everything. We have F-Zero GX which turned out superb.

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2003, 07:36:47 AM »
While EGM's three reviewers gave it 10, 10, 9.5 and named it game of the month, Gamenow gave it an A+ and also game of the month.

Should I believe IGN over everyone else?

I played the Demo and found the game to be awesome, I didn't find any problem with any of the flaws that IGN said, the game is still one of the best racers on the Market and definetly the most fun.

So no I don't really agree that the review was fair and honest, if everyone gave MKD a low score than I'd agree but IGN is the only site giving it a low score.

Offline VideoGamerX

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2003, 07:44:45 AM »
Only time will tell.

I'll probably love the game, but that's because I didn't get to play Mario Kart 64. This will be totally new for me.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2003, 07:46:29 AM »
Never played Mario Kart 64?  Man, you're in for a pleasant surprise.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2003, 07:59:38 AM »
Did PGC get a review copy of the game already?  Could we expect a review any time soon or do you guys not get it until release date like the rest of us?
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2003, 08:05:06 AM »

Originally posted by: VideoGamerX
It wasn't Mary Jane who wrote the Double Dash review. Fran wrote it. Mary Jane just included her comments at the end. I for one think IGN did a comprehensive honest review of the game. They have legit complaints that I think will match our own.
No, they didn't...Fran constantly bitched about the things that weren't in the game, instead of concentrating on reviewing what was IN the game...And his complaint for lack of kart skins is the most asinine thing I have ever read in a review...Kudos, IGN, for making bigger d***s of yourselves than you already have...I didn't think it was possible...  
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2003, 08:15:02 AM »
Honestly, i didn't even read the whole fricken IGN review.  I think it is proof of why nintendo is soooo tight lipped about most things.  I guarantee if IGN didn't know about the 2 racers per kart thing so long ago, they would have actually noticed that that is something new in the game and the score would have gone up to above a 9.  Its almost like they read about the dual racer thing so much they just started thinking it was in MK64.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2003, 08:20:40 AM »
"And his complaint for lack of kart skins is the most asinine thing I have ever read in a review"

I know.  If Mario Kart 64 had skins or some other major kart racer that had changed the genre did then I could see complaining about the lack of that feature.  But that's something that has never been in a kart racing game to my knowledge and absolutely no fan has ever asked for that feature.  If you rate games poorly because of a lack of unrelated features than EVERY game sucks.

Gee in Metroid Prime I can't turn into a werewolf.  That game sucks.

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2003, 08:27:14 AM »
The truth is they have a problem with it being "kiddie" nothing else, if it featured more "Mature" characters they would have given it around a 10.

That and online play.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2003, 08:39:09 AM »
So basically they are saying if they took all the "Mario" out of Mario Kart it would have been good?  Now that's an interesting concept...

*shakes head in disgust*

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2003, 09:05:25 AM »
" So basically they are saying if they took all the "Mario" out of Mario Kart it would have been good? Now that's an interesting concept..."

No that isnt what THEY said, that is what  Avinash_Tyagi said in the post above you, it is an assumption. IGN and the reviewer simply gave an opinion, the person reviewing the game didnt care for it, who really cares? I dont understand why people get so worked up about these things.

No one here has played the finished version yet. So when they say the game is great, and that IGN is biased I cant help but laugh at the hypocricy behind comments like that.

PLay the game then decide. If you still hate the guy, so be it. Differing opinions, oh the tragedy.
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2003, 09:19:25 AM »
In case you didn't know, I was being sarcastic...

And the reason I'm getting worked up is that Fran is basing his "opinions" off things he thought should have been in the game(as stupid as they were)...He wanted skins for the karts, more unlockables(Hello!  This game has included the most unlockables of any MK to date!), and he complained that the graphics were too kiddy(This is a Mario game!)...It's as if he had never played a Mario or Mario Kart game before...

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2003, 09:26:13 AM »
IGN did give it a 7.9, which, considering how bad his review sounded, ended up being better than i thought.  While i was reading it, i swore i was going to see a 6 or something.  Anyway, its yet another reason i dont go by reviews.  
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Cap

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2003, 09:27:54 AM »
reading ign's review, they pretty much outline every problem that i thought the game would have. its seems that its just more of the same, and thats why i wasnt looking forward to mario kart at all. the only major addition to the gameplay are in the multiplayer modes. for someone like me who does mostly single player gaming, it doesnt seem like theres really a point. i'll rent the game before i make my final judgement, but igns review doesnt seem that bad to me.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2003, 10:22:52 AM »
Right, the only difference is in the multiplayer. Let's completely forget the whole deal about 2 riders per cart and the strategy you need to use them effectively. ::rollseyes:: Honestly, you guys put too much stock into reviews, especially negative ones among a plethora of positive ones.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill