Author Topic: 1080 graphics > SSX3 and Amped 2 graphics?  (Read 6884 times)

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
1080 graphics > SSX3 and Amped 2 graphics?
« on: November 04, 2003, 11:55:27 AM »
The last couple of days, I've been reading a strange rumor buzzing around message boards and websites and the like, saying that 1080 has pulled what they called a "Metroid Prime" in which the final product blows away the previous builds. From what I've read they make it sound like the final version of 1080 Avalanche will make the recent demo version look like the N64 version... which would really be astounding.
Has anyone else heard about this? I'm sure it's just a stupid rumor, but...

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: 1080 graphics > SSX3 and Amped 2 graphics?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2003, 12:02:08 PM »
Well given NST's work with Wave Race: Blue Storm, it'd be hard for me to accept less than what those rumors say.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE:1080 graphics > SSX3 and Amped 2 graphics?
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2003, 12:07:18 PM »
I would not be surprised at all...Ninty said that they were listening to the complaints about the graphics at E3...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2003, 01:52:42 PM »
SSX 3 RULES ALL!!!!  (In other words, it's going to take a lot more than graphics to convince me.  But I will definately rent the game).
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Dynamitega

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2003, 03:30:31 PM »
Here's impressions from the 100% completed code from Jetsethero & Chandra Nair over at the GA forums (who both work for the euro-CUBE magazine) They are admittedly huge fans of SSX3, which makes these impressions that much more positive IMO.

1080º Avalanche
18 tracks, split into four difficulty levels (Novice, Hard, Expert and Extreme). Extreme opens after getting Gold on Expert.

The last track on each difficulty isn't a race against another player - it's a race against the avalanche. Screens shakes violently and you have to use all your skill just to stay upright.

Five characters (Tara Hunter, Rob Haywood, Kemen Vasquez, Akari Hayami, Ricki Winterborne with possible secret ones). Each has four boards but only one is available to start with. Others can be bought with Coins obtained from the Time Trial mode. In this mode there are five pieces of a Golden Coins hidden in each one of the 18 tracks. Find the five pieces to get one coin.

25 licensed music tracks from 8 bands. Really well sampled.

Gate Challenge is a slalom mode.

New additions to the gameplay:
Grinding: A balance meter comes up a la Tony Hawk's.
Stability: Lose your balance or hit a bump and you'll have to rotate the analogue stick like mad to regain your composure.
Power Bar: Pull of tricks to fill up your Power Bar. When full your character glows and has increased stats for a short period of time.
Short cuts: Open short-cuts by triggering events, e.g. smash barrels to set off an explosion and smash open an ice sheet that covers a cave entrance.

Multiplayer: 4-player split-screen, 8-player LAN
Framerate: Hangs around 60fps, does drop when there's lots going on but not so much that is bothers you. This is different to even the ECTS & demo disk versions, its been polished since then and looks stunning. The lighting effects are especially good looking.

Bear in mind that this is 100% completed code.
Graphics: Gorgeous, better than SSX3 and Amped 2

-Chandra Nair

Okay, just to clear a few things up:

I admit, Avalanche was looking well sketch. Thank God Nintendo gave it to NSTC 'cos Left Field had screwed it up big style.
NSTC did a great job of transforming it in the space of 12 months, but even the ECTS version wasn't as good as I would have liked.

I fully expected this finished version to be okay but nothing more. Thankfully this isn't the case. And just for the record, please don't judge the game on the current demo disc that's doing the rounds. The early courses on that demo ain't nothing compared to the Hard, Expert and Extreme courses. That's where it's really at.

Those later courses can get really exhilarating, especially when you're desperately trying to stay on a narrow powder snow-covered ledge, with 200 foot drops on either side.

To the people who still maintain it doesn't look all that... what can I say? I don't agree. Even the guys on our Xbox mags immediately said it looks better than SSX3 and Amped 2. All I can say is, I've played it for two days, you haven't. Ultimately I think that's what it comes down to.
I'm a huge SSX3 fan, and I wouldn't be able to choose between them both. They're both great and both very different games. I'd say that Avalanche is better than the original though... but so it should be after all these years.

Course Names

Novice:
Ski School, Tenderfoot Pass, Frosty Shadows

Hard:
Powder Treat, Tree-Top Trauma, Grits 'n' Gravy, Trestle Trouble

Expert:
Revolution Cliff, Midnigt City, Rotted Ridge, Diesel Disaster, No Way Out

Extreme:
Top Tree Mama, Treble Tussle, Evolution Riff, Sid's Night Midi, Dazzlin' Teaser, Wit's Thicket

Diesel Disaster: various landslides are causing havoc on the mountain roads, and as well as avoiding all the pile-ups, you also have cars skidding out of control at the most awkward moments.
Evolution Riff: At one point you are so high up that the camera zooms out above you so you can see the valley below you. The scenery draws out for miles.
No Way Out: The last track on Expert mode pits you against a huge avalanche. Worse still, the vibration is so intense that it sets off landslides all around you as you’re going along. The final set-piece requires you to jump off a cliff into the helicopter cockpit!

Offline mjbd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2003, 04:21:38 PM »
Cool, I am glad NST got the go ahead to create this one.  Anyone who owns Wave Race B.S. knows how good NST is.  Granted they havent been doing original stuff, but someone's got to make the sequels.  Wave Race B.S. was gorgeous, so it doesnt suprise me that 1080 has come along way.  I hope they locked the framerate at 30fps, they did it in Wave Race and eveything looks very smooth.  I am looking forward to this one.
Formerly Known As Mike_OPN2000

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2003, 05:44:28 PM »
i was SUPER disapointed with what it was looking like, but from what i hear now, this could blow everything out of the water. im not a huge snow boarding fan, but if its that good, i will rent it at least.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2003, 06:31:38 PM »
I am really glad about this but what did they have to say about the gameplay...all they went on about is the graphics.
"We ride together, We die together, Bad boys 4 life....

NOW CAN YOU DIG DAT SUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKAAAA

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2003, 06:49:43 PM »
Having played the demo, I think there's nothing to fear...It's a little difficult to get used to the balance meter, but overall it feels great...

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2003, 07:09:03 PM »
Bill, I am renting the game whenever it comes out based on your advice.  (too lazy to check right now).  I seriously doubt that it will be as good as SSX 3, but we shall see.  

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2003, 07:26:52 PM »
as good as SSX3 IN TERMS OF WHAT?

"They're ... both very different games."

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2003, 07:37:38 PM »
Yes, but they are both Snowboarding games, and I prefer SSX's style from what I've seen.    Which is why 1080 must be VERY VERY good for me to actually buy it.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2003, 08:45:07 PM »
Thanks for comparing apples to oranges.

Offline Kyosho

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2003, 09:38:38 PM »
That's great news!!!

I really like 1080 for N64.. i hope this is even better.  Can't wait till January or whenever it's suppose to come out.  I already have it pre-ordered

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2003, 09:42:04 PM »
I honestley feel that 1080 avalanche does not have as much attitude and style but it has 1 thing that i feel puts it above SSX3 and thats a nice , clean straight foward approach to each level.
"We ride together, We die together, Bad boys 4 life....

NOW CAN YOU DIG DAT SUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKAAAA

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2003, 10:20:13 PM »
i'll most likely get it regardless, 1080 on n64 was an absolute blast, it destroyed my green controller with mario party like spin mashing of the control stick, but it is still awsome funzilla gammera type fun, would be cool to have nintendo on top in the graphics department too, its that sort of triviality that draws in casual gamers

Offline Dynamitega

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2003, 10:44:47 PM »
Well, the demo I played last year at the Cube Club here in LA, it was a piece of junk really.  I'm glad they sat down with it for another year and produced something nice.  It sounds like it came together pretty well and I can't wait to tackle the extreme courses and see what they're all about.  1080 is more focused on racing, but not totally sim of course, it's got a good amount of arcade mixed in it.

For the record, I wasn't interested in it at all before I read those impressions.

Offline Dynamitega

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2003, 10:46:25 PM »

Originally posted by: mjbd
Cool, I am glad NST got the go ahead to create this one.  Anyone who owns Wave Race B.S. knows how good NST is.  Granted they havent been doing original stuff, but someone's got to make the sequels.  Wave Race B.S. was gorgeous, so it doesnt suprise me that 1080 has come along way.  I hope they locked the framerate at 30fps, they did it in Wave Race and eveything looks very smooth.  I am looking forward to this one.

They said it hangs around 60fps...

Offline StRaNgE

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2003, 03:42:39 AM »
i loved the original on the 64, i played it for ages.

i never liked the original ssx.

the other day i picked up SSX tricky and i gotta say  it has been amazingly fun.
the courses are extremely long or at least some of them are.
i can recall that  many times my 1st time through a level i would think to myself, ok the finish is gunna be right there , but that only ended up being halfway down a couse.

now i hear the new SSX has even longer runs on it.

from what i have seen  on 1080 the courses are about the same length as the original. i have no idea though if that has changed on the final version. hopefullly so.
gunna be a hard choice between the two.

Offline Sirmorphix

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2003, 08:40:29 AM »
I won't believe it until I see it.  1080 GCN has looked pretty crappy so far.  I hope this is true though because I was a huge fan of the 64 version.
---
Electronic Arts Canada
---

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2003, 08:45:42 AM »

Originally posted by: StRaNgE
gunna be a hard choice between the two.
If you have the money, I would definitely recommend both of them...  Both are insanely fun...but each in their own unique ways...  

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2003, 12:27:45 PM »
Comparing 1080 avalanche and ssx3 would be like comparing NBA Street to NBA 2k4(or NBA Live).  Yes, both are of the snowboarding genre, but each one brings something totally different to the table.  In case some of you dont already know, the SSX series leans heavily toward the arcady, flashy-tricks approach.  1080 tries, for the most part, to be a simulation.  Some prefer simulation games, some prefer the more over the top "wow look what I can do" approach to a game. comparing the two is somewhat unfair.   Personally I will buy 1080 because I loved the original.  I like SSX also just not as much as 1080.  
How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2003, 12:45:53 PM »
doesnt anyone find it weird that Nintendo take 2 years to make a sports game when the standard group of people make a new one each year.....and 1080º is kinda niché?(in other words its been so long since 1080º came out its been a forgotten series.  

lol macs have an easy and yet confusing way to input character codes.....i know alot of standard character codes on  pc....macs do them in a different way...its kinda convenient...the problem is i gota play around with it to find them.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2003, 12:50:59 PM »
Well remember, Ninty basically had to remake the game when they took it off of Left Field Studios...

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2003, 02:06:15 PM »
I don't think Nintendo had really planned on making a sequel to 1080 up until recently, and then, like Bill said, they had to restart on it after they dropped Left Field.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill