Author Topic: It’s Happened Again...EA Hate Nintendo, Its happened Again!  (Read 6567 times)

Offline Baldspur78

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Yes, it’s happened again. EA hate (allegedly of course) Nintendo. Why do I say this? Well it all comes down to FIFA. FIFA 18 was a decent start for football on the Nintendo Switch and easily the best handheld FIFA for a long time. It even held up well on the big screen. FIFA 19 came along and apart from some minor tweaks, once again Nintendo football fans were insulted by EA. With the Wii and especially the DS consoles, EA put out the same game, added on the additional year and that was that. People kept buying the ‘new’ versions and EA kept taking the p1ss.
The DLC for FIFA 19 has been advertised for Nintendo Switch and just never materialised. Once again Nintendo fans treated as second rate gamers.

With the success and continued growth of the Switch, it is even more galling that EA refuse to make any effort to give fans a proper update. We know what the Switch is capable of in the right hands. Sadly EA can’t be bothered.

Maybe it’s time to bring back Pro Evo to Nintendo and consign EA to the dustbin forever where the big N is concerned. The Switch can survive without FIFA so why not just tell them to keep their cheap efforts and stop the yearly insults once and for all?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: It’s Happened Again...EA Hate Nintendo, Its happened Again!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 06:40:36 PM »
Dude, have you seen EA lately? They hate everyone, particularly their fans.

Feel fortunate that the Switch hasn't gotten some of the live service trash that EA dumped on everything else.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 05:58:49 AM »
I'd rather play a new Super Mario Strikers. I wish these sports organizations would stop giving EA exclusive licenses.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 06:01:07 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 03:17:29 PM »
I'm not sure what DLC you're talking about, I don't think FIFA 19 has DLC on any platform apart from roster updates, which the Switch version has gotten. Overall I've been pretty happy with FIFA 19 on Switch. It could still use some improvements to get it closer to the feature set of the other versions, but it's not just 18 with a new coat of paint.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Super KYTim89

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 06:50:50 PM »
Not having EA games on your system is actually a good thing.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 08:03:15 PM »
Not having EA games on your system is actually a good thing.

It's never a good thing for a major publisher to be ignoring your platform. I'm very happy to have FIFA available on Switch, and I'd really love to see Madden and other EA games on there as well.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Super KYTim89

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 08:33:39 PM »
EA is such a bad company that it might not be around in a few more years to support the Switch.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 10:55:50 PM »
Do you have a link to whatever article you have saying they're going bankrupt in a few years or whatever?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 10:59:00 PM »
It's not entirely out of possibility for such a huge company to suddenly tank. Though really hard to happen if you have a sports game monopoly.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 11:02:16 PM »
Or if you somehow still have the Star Wars license.

Offline Super KYTim89

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 11:09:46 PM »
Or if you somehow still have the Star Wars license.

They are running that license into the ground. If this new ani-loot box bill is passed then EA will lose a significant loss of revenue. Let's be honest, the ground is shrinking around Electronic Art's feet because all of their properties are tanking.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2019, 11:10:53 PM »
It was crazy when 3dfx went out of business. They were the top of the industry at the time and there weren't really any competitors yet. Then Suddenly it was NVIDIA and ATI to take its place.

buying the intellectual property of 3dfx by NVIDIA was a good idea.

Offline Super KYTim89

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2019, 11:57:15 PM »
Microsoft could end up buying the IPs and developers from the dead carcass of EA.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2019, 12:56:55 AM »
Implying that EA won't just shut down all their studios before they die out just to spite everyone.

It's important to remember that in general a major game publisher shutting down is a worst case scenario. Hundreds of developers will be out of work, their IPs will basically be in limbo, many of which would likely never see a new game again. For example, why would anyone buy the rights for Burnout when Need for Speed is also up for grabs.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2019, 09:47:37 PM »
I think EA would be able to sustain their sports franchises, if they had nothing else.  Plus, if they couldn't rely on lootboxes, it's more likely they'll shift their business model to something else for those franchises.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2019, 05:54:47 PM »
"Again"? When did they stop hating Nintendo?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2019, 06:35:22 PM »
I remember when Acclaim and THQ went under and it did not seem to be a very long transition from being a major player to declaring bankruptcy.  Was there any indication that THQ was in trouble before the uDraw disaster?

EA has Madden and Star Wars but those rely on a deal with another company.  These other companies can always decide when the contract is up to go with someone else.  Something like that is good as part of your business model but that can't be the deciding factor between success and failure.  EA needs loyal customers of EA brands.  If no one actually likes EA and is just buying their games because they have NFL exclusivity then what happens if the NFL switches to another publisher?  If the Madden customers are only EA customers to play an NFL game then those customers are gone.

But if the NFL is making good money from EA I don't see any reason why they would ever stop working with them.  EA would have to become such a negative brand that the NFL's image is damaged by association.  Or the quality dips so low that sales drop.  Or someone convinces the NFL that having multiple licencees would be more lucrative.  Or the NFL decides that being their own publisher for their own games will give them more of the revenue.  But the NFL doesn't give a damn if people complain that Madden sucks now while still buying the game every year.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2019, 10:04:34 AM »
I remember when Acclaim and THQ went under and it did not seem to be a very long transition from being a major player to declaring bankruptcy.  Was there any indication that THQ was in trouble before the uDraw disaster?

Yeah the THQ fiasco was very much a multi-faceted affair, and in fact the uDraw did fairly well on Wii at first in 2010, despite the relatively high price and cruddy software line up for it. Unfortunately THQ took those early sales figures as encouraging feedback, massively overproduced them for PS3/X360, and it became another massive albatross on their neck while they were closing studios left and right.

Earlier facets that led to their bankruptcy:
-THQ had always been big on licensed games, wrestling, ATV and biker games, etc. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say the bottom pretty much fell out of that market after the DS/Wii era. Cheap licensed games were moving towards browsers or free-to-play on mobile devices.
-2008 was the start of financial disaster for THQ (and the world economy, for that matter). They closed several studios doing licensed movie games and pivoted to 'core game titles' (aka moe expensive games).
-2009 did even worse with their Nickelodeon/Pixar/Dreamworks type games largely gone. They laid off 600 people and lost like a fifth of yearly revenue.
-2010 was a bit better, relatively speaking, due to some success with the uDraw. I think they sold those tablets for 60-80$ so they were okay moneymakers.
-2011 they doubled down on uDraw, making versions for X360 and PS3 which were a sales disasters. Reportedly there were like a million of these unsold in a warehouse somewhere. I bet they were really bummed about the Wii U tablet unveiling at E3 2011, too.
2011 also saw Homefront completely bomb, not sure if Call of Duty ate its lunch or people were just annoyed at that type of modern military shooter. Their stock dropped 26% when the reviews came out(!!!)
I think the Saint's Row game of that year might've been a success, but they closed the Red Faction studio, the people who did De Blob.
-2012 was more of the same, the CEO stepped down while they closed the Warhammer studios, sold the UFC rights to EA, and they began defaulting on loans.

So yeah, uDraw was a real boat anchor they were dragging along for sure, but I'm not sure it was the single reason of failure. THQ basically backed every wrong horse they could at this time; their licensed games business model was not future proof, they sold rights to their moneymakers (Warhammer, dirtbikes, wrestling, UFC) to others, and their pivot to 'core games' resulted in a string of over-budgeted flops (Homefront, Red Faction Armageddon, I'm not sure how Darksider 2 did) which Saint's Row just couldn't compensate for.

They were a mid-to-high tier publisher but just got squashed like so many other mid-tier companies in 2008-2012 were. Financial markets saw a real compression, where big players bought the remains of their bankrupt competitors for peanuts. Everywhere from banking to Hollywood to airlines saw mid-sized players collapse and become prey in cheap mergers for the market elite of their respective sectors.
In games this means the AA-titles pretty much evaporated in half a console generation, and I would argue this still holds today, where big publishers push out blockbusters and cheap phone cashgrabs only, while indie devs are starting to populate the lower-to-mid price tiers.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 10:10:57 AM by Steefosaurus »

Offline Tad59

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2019, 03:20:21 PM »
I don't think EA hate Nintendo. EA are sort of in a weird spot right now where apart from sports games, nothing else is really having the impact they want financially. It's self inflicted of course as they're very quick to close their own studios down and now they have nothing but the same pool of talent to go back too.

I imagine they can't even buy studios either because of their awful record on controlling them.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2019, 05:29:15 PM »
All it takes is a little push from the economy like some folks are predicting and their house could start collapsing. Lots of analysts and experts are saying we are over due for another market correction/crash similar (though not expected to be as bad as) the 2008 crash.

Couple that with something like Lucasfilm/Disney yanking the Star Wars license from them, maybe add in some other risks from licenses getting revoked and you can have that perfect storm.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2019, 12:21:26 AM »
You Americans are too hopeful. EA make an absolute killing on FIFA
https://www.trefis.com/stock/ea/model/trefis?easyAccessToken=PROVIDER_e8ec4c83fffd6e50346bc37b89c209e857fcf7d6
$2.4 billion in revenue on services. It's estimated 1.5 of that is FIFA Ultimate Team alone.
Just look at that whole graph, they're banking a billion dollars a year.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2019, 12:23:30 AM »
Once again, Soccer is proven to be the worst thing ever.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2019, 12:26:33 AM »
They're raking in billions but still can't afford to give us a real FIFA 20 on Switch, those bastards.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2019, 12:33:50 AM »
All it takes is another publisher offering enough to make FIFA or NFL agree to open up to non-exclusive licenses. Why take money from one publisher when they could get more from other studios? It all comes down to when those contracts are negotiated and if EA can pay enough when the time comes.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2019, 01:14:37 AM »
EA has had the FIFA licence for more than two decades. Konami are the only other publisher even in the soccer sim space.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.