Author Topic: 1-2-Switch = Nintendo's EPD = SPD + EAD  (Read 2379 times)

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
1-2-Switch = Nintendo's EPD = SPD + EAD
« on: February 18, 2017, 03:21:24 AM »
After watching Giant Bomb preview video about the game i realized that "1-2 Switch" game encapsulates the merge of Nintendo SPD (WarioWare, Rhythm Heaven, Tomodachi) and Nintendo EAD groups.

Also -- you've been lied to.

Main mode of 1-2 Switch is not minigames. The main mode is Team Battle which a board party game like Mario Party.

Structure of the each mini-game is like this: you pick a game, they you are shown a video that explains how to play and then you play it. Well that's pretty much copied from SPD's Rhythm Heaven.

But the bigger structure is that of a party game with two teams taking turns moving their pieces on a board, a-la Mario Party or Wii Party.

Actual mini-games are also reminiscent of SPD's signature manic crazyness. I want to present "Gorilla" minigame which would fit right in a Rhythm Heaven game. Runway minigame looks like taken straight from Wario Ware Smooth Moves with added competitive element.

Nintendo SPD was pretty much my favourite Nintendo studio and i love that their signature humour and style is very much present in new merged EPD team through games like 1-2 Switch.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
Re: 1-2-Switch = Nintendo's EPD = SPD + EAD
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 03:53:55 AM »
A brilliant juncture for Azeke chime in. I had a really negative view of this game based on the reveal and subsequent poo-pooing. I certainly hadn't thought about who made it or watched any coverage of it.

So one of the most frequent comments about this game relates to its price, which I couldn't fathom being justified from how it was initially presented. But as Azeke says, if you enjoy the Rhythm Heaven/Wario Ware style of presentation and interaction, this actually looks pretty clutch. Certainly it's more of a pure local multiplayer game, but you can see it excelling as such in that video.

And you can certainly see the budget; it looks like a karaoke Japanese game show.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 10:41:15 AM »
Thanks for the alternate take, I'll be more open minded about the game when it releases.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 01:46:26 AM »
If this is the latest successor to Mario Party then I'm sold.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 08:45:21 AM »
I saw that giant bomb video.  It does a good job of making the best case for why it'd be a fun party game, and after that video, I could legitimately see myself having a good time with it.  Problem is that I currently don't have enough parties or groups of people at my home to justify having a game like this currently, especially not at a $50 mark. 

That said, again, that game looks a lot more fun than I gave it credit for initially, so Kudos to Nintendo for that.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 12:33:25 PM »
Seems like a weakness of Nintendo's current "experiential" focused marketibg drip feed style that we didn't find out about this mode until now. Still, I'm a little burned out on Mario Party so this game looking like a sort of charades-esque Wario Party game isn't QUITE lighting a fire under me. However, I can now see it in context, and can consider it at a lower price...

Snipperclips is what I hope will take the place of 1, 2, Switch though in twrms of show-off-ability with random people.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.