Author Topic: Why do you think NWR's forums rarely get active new members?  (Read 129856 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Why do you think NWR's forums rarely get active new members?
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2016, 03:41:43 PM »
That used to be true, but then I annoyed Aaron enough times asking him to change stuff that he gave me admin powers. I can make changes like a lot of the ones proposed here, I'm just not sure how much of an effect they'd have. I don't want to just wholesale delete sections of the forums, but I'd be open to reorganizing things. I thought I'd already hidden most of the child boards, but if you guys are still seeing them I can go back and figure out how that didn't work.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Online Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2016, 04:55:21 PM »
I've got a re-organization proposal going on in my head since discussing this. Give me a day or so to celebrate the Cubs World Series win and then I'll post it here for others to provide their feedback and for you to mull over.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2016, 10:14:08 PM »
Hey giving me and Khush mod powers is the best thing that has ever happened! :D ;)
Made you look ****.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2016, 05:48:30 PM »
I've got a re-organization proposal going on in my head since discussing this. Give me a day or so to celebrate the Cubs World Series win and then I'll post it here for others to provide their feedback and for you to mull over.

Probably forgot about this, which is 100% A-OK, but any ideas on improvements to the forums?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2016, 06:21:27 PM »
No, I keep telling myself I should post this but haven't worked up the energy yet. I know it's going to be a bit of a lengthy post and lengthy posts take time to type.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2016, 06:24:34 PM »
That's me when I try to will myself to do a long post on my blog. I put it off, and put it off, and put it off. haha No worries, Khush!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2016, 02:03:58 PM »
That's me when I try to make a post that's more than one sentence.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2016, 01:59:43 AM »
Bringing this ultra-important crossroads for the NWR forums up!

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2016, 03:23:19 PM »
Alright, since I have a bit more time to post on these forums, let me throw out some potential forum update pitches and see what the reaction is.

At the top of the forum, we have a no-name section with the topic of Announcements. I propose some slight expansion of this section. Name it "Forum Info" (Or "Forum Information" if you want to get fancy and formal).

The first subforum for it would be titled "Forum Rules" or "Forum Code of Conduct". The only thing in it would be the Forum Rules and it would be a Reply Only forum although if wanted to lock the thread and prevent any replies to keep it static that might be best to prevent the spambot menace from entering there. Plus, if people do have questions about forum rules, there is the NWR Feedback Forum to ask them.

The second subforum would be "Introduce Yourself" or "New Member Introductions". For this forum, we move the Introduce Yourself thread in General Chat into it and Rename it if necessary to the new Forum name used to house it. (Or just lock the old thread. Unsticky it in General Chat and start a new one by a moderator to prevent a S-U-P-E-R type situation of hijacking the thread by the original poster. Although, I don't think we have to worry too much about a sageprotector threat) It would be the only thread in this subforum and it would also be a Reply Only forum for new users to post their hello message and other users to reply hello back if they wish.

The last subforum would be the current Announcements Forum as the usual way to alert forum users on any news they may find significant although its usage seems to be decreasing. However, a forum revamp would definitely be a good way to get some activity in it again. ;)

After that section of the forums, the next more radical idea would be to then move the NWR Interactive section above the Gaming Forums. For the most part, this subsection would still be the same with Talkback followed by Podcast Discussion and then NWR Feedback. Reader Reviews would be removed from it, however, and moved to the Gaming Forums subsection where it really should be.

The only possible change or expansion that may be of benefit is to divide up the Podcast Discussion forum in between Talkback and Feedback. Maybe it might be useful to users if there is a RFN Forum, a Radio Trivia Forum and a Famicast section for better ease of use / cataloguing. Replacing the Reader Review's section, it might be an interesting idea to create a subforum after the different Podcast forums with an "Forum User's Podcasts" or "Forum User's Content" section. This would provide a spot for the Radio Free Nintendo podcasts to go and be easily collected/grouped. I've always thought it a bit of an awkward fit for them to be grouped in the General Chat forum. This "Forum User's (Something)" forum would be an open forum unlike the other Podcast forum(s) and Talkback which are Reply Only. This way, if other members want to create a podcast, they have a vehicle/section to promote and place them. Plus, we sometimes get a person creating an account here to make a topic in General Chat or Console gaming in order to promote a YouTube video/channel they have or website they've created only to disappear after. Now those lowbrow marketing attempts could be moved over to this subforum and help keep the other forums free of it. As well, if our users want to link or post things like websites they've created, YouTube videos/channels they have or Let's Play links/videos along with Podcasts, this would be the section for it. That's why User Content might be a better catch-all name for it but it is just hypothetical at the moment.

After the NWR Interactive Subsection, we would have the Gaming Forums subsection. The usual three would be at the top of Nintendo Console, Nintendo Handheld and General Gaming. Now, with the talk of the Switch being a hybrid, there has been some question of whether the Console and Handheld forums should be blended. Right now, I'm leaning against that because right now, Nintendo is still committed to keeping the 3DS alive for awhile alongside the Switch. While the Switch is portable, it is still Nintendo's next console offering. If one wanted to update the names to be super-specific like Switch Forum and 3DS forum with the description underneath detailing that past consoles could also be discussed in the Switch Forum and past handhelds in the 3DS forum to clarify things, I don't see the harm in that. If the 3DS ends and there is no handheld successor moving forward but Nintendo sticks with hybrid systems moving forward, then a merging may be warranted although Nintendo is dipping their toes into the Mobile gaming market so that might still be considered Handheld. And on the subject of renaming, perhaps General Gaming should officially become Non-Nintendo Gaming as a better catch all for that forum.

(Stay Tuned. More to come.)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2016, 04:47:28 PM »
Good thoughts Khush, I like the general order you have in mind. Also agree that we should keep Console and Handheld separate for now. Even once the 3DS ends, there will still be the apps, which best fit into the handheld catagory (maybe rename it to mobile or portable?)

I especially like the movement of the introductions threat to the top. It is not prominently displayed and people may miss it buried in a sub-forum. You should also add the Birthday thread to the Introduction sub as that is a welcoming feature for new folks looking to connect. I believe it drew several people out of lurker status when Maxi wished them a happy birthday.

Something we should also consider building into this reorg is all of the "networking" threads. Gamertags, NNIDs, Friend Codes, maybe unify it all, or just place the "master" thread in a prominent place linking to each different type of specific tag group.

Lastly, we should look at having a place for online matchmaking and smaktalk further up, so more people use it. I would also hope we begin trying to get some new tournaments going as well, which could go with the smaktalk thread.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 04:50:19 PM by Stratos »
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2016, 05:48:35 PM »
Alright. Continuing on, after being so rudely interrupted by Stratos (  >:(  ;) ), from the main 3 Gaming subforums mentioned (Console, Handheld, General,) I was thinking that would be the spot to put the Reader Reviews forum. Follow that with Matchmaking/Smack Talk. However, take the Wii and DS Friend Code child boards and stick them in this subforum now. Or just move all those threads into the forum and delete the child boards. We don't really need them anymore but if you don't want to lose that bit of forum history right now, that would be the perfect spot to stick them. I was also thinking that you may want to move NNID and 3DS Friend code threads to this forum and sticky them at the top of it there freeing up space in the Console/Handheld forums. Conversely, if we wish to broaden out the purpose of the forum a bit, it might be worth renaming the thread to something like "Online Connectivity" or "Internet Gaming Matchmaking" and allow for any kind of Network ID trading and meeting on other systems besides Nintendo which could mean moving the Xbox Live and PSN code threads to this forum as well. In any case, it might be worth losing the Smack Talk part of the name at this point too.

Although, Stratos's comment has me wondering now about the placement of that forum. If it is going to contain all the Friend Codes / ID Codes for connecting users on various systems, maybe it should be the first forum in order of the Gaming subforum. Yet, Console Gaming is still the biggest and more popular forum on here and I don't want to bury it too low or make it hard to find. As such, I think it should keep its spot at the top of the Gaming Subforum but it is something to mull over. Due to the fact that user connectivity on these forums isn't that big a situation right now despite some recent efforts to jump start it, I do think it's lower placement is still correct. It's just a matter of keeping new users from posting their ID Codes in the Console forum because they don't see the "Matchmaking" forum right away.

Finally, the much discussed merger of the Gameplay Strategy and Hardware/Wi-Fi Support forums could happen. I would just name the new forum the "Gaming Support" forum with the description "Stuck in a game? Need help with your hardware? Looking for the right bra size? Post here to get some support." (Ok. Maybe not the bra part. That one's just a joke.) It's probably not going to see much posting anyways but at least it combines that stuff into one unobtrusive forum at the bottom of the Gaming subforum instead of two forums.

This brings us to the hidden gems of the Forums, the Community Forums. Not much would change here. The order is still good. However, perhaps some addition should be done here as well. I've floated the idea of adding a Movie Forum and a TV Forum to this section. Now, those could be shown on the Forum index between General Chat and the Funhouse or they could be done as child boards within the General Chat forum. It's something I'd really like to see and other users have commented on it as well. There have been times I was trading some pm's with Dan Laser as we discussed a couple shows and Dan Laser wished my idea of a TV forum would get implemented. I think they are popular enough topics to warrant their own space these days.

Finally, there is one more forum that might be worth adding. Whether you'd want to add it to the Community Forum or create another subforum for it altogether is your call but it would be the very bottom and last forum. I'd call it something like NWR History or Previous NWR Content. This forum would be a static forum. No topics created or replies allowed. The point of it is to just toss threads / concepts no longer relevant on NWR but that the site may not want to lose the history on. For instance, the March Madness child board attached to Talkback could be tossed here. Remember Hot Topic? To my knowledge, all those threads were deleted when that forum eventually ended. If we had this Previous Content forum, the threads could have all just been tossed into here. If you don't want to toss the old Wii and DS Friend Code child boards into the Matchmaking forum, here's the place to toss them. This way, these old concepts or outdated applications can still be kept around without cluttering up and bogging down the other forums.

And that is my current state of my mind on forum reorganization. I resisted the urge to include a "Post Why Khushrenada is Great" forum because I realized that's what all these subforums do already ;). And although Steefosaurus started this re-organization conversation a bit on the idea of decreasing the number of subforums, my plan is going in the opposite direction with the intent of increasing them albeit I recognize that some of these new forums aren't really designed for much user by users and to better categorize and organize some of the content we have here.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 05:51:45 PM by Khushrenada »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2016, 06:28:58 PM »
I resisted the urge to include a "Post Why Khushrenada is Great" forum

We've got enough forum sections nobody's posted regularly in for years as it is.

J.P. Corbran

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2016, 06:29:46 PM »
Oh, good! You read my post all the ways through. ;)

And we both know I'd be regularly posting in that forum so it would stay active!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2016, 06:41:35 PM »
I did. There are some good ideas in there. I don't agree with all of it, particularly the way you drew up the Forum Info section, which seems overly complicated and unnecessary, but merging Hardware/Gameplay Strategy makes a lot of sense, and sticking the friend code boards in Matchmaking is a good idea.

I'm hesitant to mess with Talkback and Podcast Discussion because I don't want to screw up anything with how site articles are automatically posted in there. Having Aaron around for this would be great, as he knows the technical side of these forums better than anyone. I also think having them below the gaming boards is a good thing, because it draws attention to the gaming boards, which should ideally be the focus of these forums. Talkback and Podcast Discussion are probably the most active boards, but they're also available directly in the articles on the front page.

In regard to splitting up the community boards, I'm not sure. I think it might just make more sense to decentralize the TV megathread we have right now a bit, and have separate threads for prominent shows that generate a lot of discussion but still within the existing General Chat board. Adding an entire board just for that seems like overkill.

J.P. Corbran

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2016, 08:05:48 PM »
I did. There are some good ideas in there. I don't agree with all of it, particularly the way you drew up the Forum Info section, which seems overly complicated and unnecessary, but merging Hardware/Gameplay Strategy makes a lot of sense, and sticking the friend code boards in Matchmaking is a good idea.

Yeah, the "Forum Info" subsection was one I wrestled in how that should look and work. I guess the way to best describe it is much like how in many of the forums like Console Gaming or Podcast Discussion we have stickied threads at the top of the first forum page. Well, the Forum Info subsection would act like the stickied threads at the top of the Main Forum Index. Hence why the Rules, Introduce Yourself and Announcements are all separated like that and the first two are kept very basic. However, if that seems overly complicated or unnecessary (and I do think the Introduce Yourself thread is rather unnecessary these days but that could change depending on the Switch's success which might draw more people here) then perhaps just a change to the Announcements forum into "Forum Rules and Introductions" with the description that it is the Forum for new users to introduce themselves, read the rules and where staff will make any announcements about the forums themselves for all users.

I'm hesitant to mess with Talkback and Podcast Discussion because I don't want to screw up anything with how site articles are automatically posted in there. Having Aaron around for this would be great, as he knows the technical side of these forums better than anyone. I also think having them below the gaming boards is a good thing, because it draws attention to the gaming boards, which should ideally be the focus of these forums. Talkback and Podcast Discussion are probably the most active boards, but they're also available directly in the articles on the front page.

I forgot about the links to the articles. My plan didn't really involve any re-organization on Talkback aside from moving the March Madness Child Board. With Podcasts, you may have more of an issue. However, if you look at the link to any thread, you will notice that it never contains the name of the subforum it is in. It references the main index and gives the thread a number at the end like 50711 for this thread. Thus, I don't think re-organizing the Podcasts into specific forums for them would ruin the main links because those links will still contain the thread number that thread has been designated with.

I mentioned the NWR Interactive as being moved above the Gaming Forums because I was viewing it as following the order as listed by the main page of Home to News to Previews to Editorials to Podcasts to Forums. (I skipped a couple subheadings in between.) Thus, the Main Index would then follow that pattern a bit of Home - Announcements, News - Talkback, Podcasts - Podcast Discussions and then Forums - Gaming and Community Forums. However, if Gaming Forums are to be the focus than I can understand wanting to leave them at the top of the Forum Index. With my idea of the User Content Forum, part of me wonders if this isn't going to be more of the future for sites and forums like ours so trying to jump ahead of the curve was another reason for maybe moving that subsection ahead but I could be completely wrong on the popularity of such an idea too.

In regard to splitting up the community boards, I'm not sure. I think it might just make more sense to decentralize the TV megathread we have right now a bit, and have separate threads for prominent shows that generate a lot of discussion but still within the existing General Chat board. Adding an entire board just for that seems like overkill.

I don't think it is overkill at all. Let's say we shut down the TV Show Megathread or start slicing and dicing it. We could have topics then for WestWorld, The Flash, Arrow, Agents of Shield, Mr. Robot, Legends of Tomorrow, Supergirl, The Walking Dead, Stranger Things, Sherlock (New Season coming up) and Game of Thrones. I'm sure we'd see those all sprout up right away. So, we'd have all those threads jostling around along with different sports threads, the movie thread, previews thread, cellphone thread, music thread, Marvel thread, DC Thread. It's going to become a bit of a traffic jam. Moreover, with just those 11 shows listed, if they've all got threads and are hanging out on the first page of General Chat, the forum is just going to look like a TV Chat forum anyways. If we are going to start creating threads by TV Shows, how long before we see people posting about some classic stuff like The Office, Futurama, Breaking Bad, The Wire and others?

That's why I think a subdivision is the way to go whether it be a child board or forum of their own. A TV forum and Movie forum would probably see more life and activity in them in one year than the Gameplay and Hardware support forums combined have seen over their entire lifespan on these forums. At least by number of posts. Thread titles created may take longer. It's an experiment I consider worth trying. If after 3-4 months it appears to be a low activity board and the threads would be fine on their own in General Chat, I'll take on the work of moving them all into General Chat and you can just delete the forum but I'd be shocked if that was the outcome.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 08:37:15 PM by Khushrenada »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2016, 08:23:25 PM »
Maybe I misread your proposal for Forum Info. I thought you were suggesting separate boards for all those things as a part of it, which is what I was calling overly complicated and unnecessary. Accomplishing it through stickied threads is a lot more doable.

TV as a child board of General Chat might work, just to keep everything organized. I'm still not sure it's necessary, though.

I'd like to hear more feedback on this, so anyone who could bring themselves to read everything Khush posted there and has thoughts about his proposals or ideas of their own, please share them here.

J.P. Corbran

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2016, 08:35:36 PM »
Maybe I misread your proposal for Forum Info. I thought you were suggesting separate boards for all those things as a part of it, which is what I was calling overly complicated and unnecessary. Accomplishing it through stickied threads is a lot more doable.

No, you read it right. I was suggesting separate boards for those parts but was comparing them to the principle of stickied threads in a forum as if those separate boards were stickied threads for the Main Forum Index. However, I also amended that in my reply to you by stating that if it seemed unwieldy or more complicated then to just re-do / rename the Announcements thread to include all those things in one with the Forum Rules and Introduce Yourself threads stickied to the top which seems to be the way you would go if you were to update the Main Index Page.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2016, 07:18:15 PM »
Since someone thought necessary to spam my mailbox... figured I'd reply.

I'm for merging Console/Handheld forums.  Have a Nintendo Gaming and a General Gaming forum.  We're low-end activity, so nothing would be lost by combining them and it'd open up the ability to create mega threads when things like Mario Maker, Hyrule Warriors, Smash 4, and Yarn Yoshi get cross-ported. And Swiitch, of course.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2016, 03:03:52 AM »
How did I miss this thread?

Make the forums great again! I vote in favor of consolidation.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2016, 03:44:00 AM »
Finally all caught up.

I am in agreement we need less sub-forums/consolidation. The original concept for the forums was designed for *A lot* more traffic. What the freak is March Madness?

Gameplay, tech support merge into general support. Match making is comatose, maybe change it to "Other" other gaming like dice games, ccg and the like if you don't want to kill it.

The Friend Code child boards should go away replaced by the sticky in their respective sub-forums.

Podcast and Talkback is ripe to merge although that looks likely to break the site.

NWR feedback should be a child of Announcements/rules which stay as is.

Keep the 3 game sub-forums as is.

All 3 of the community forums stay as is. You could child Mafia to the funhaus.

Reader reviews is a weird one. While it is nice having it's own space, I can't remember the last time I have gone in there for a review. If I did read a review in the it was in the "what are you playing" thread or the "Last gaming purchase".

You could re-purpose it into a writer's testing ground where people can post their reviews like they do now, but if it is good enough it gets posted on to the main site under guest reviews. If the quality goes up I might read them for fun/curiosity. if they are really good you can bring them in as staff.

There isn't enough material to make dedicated sub-forums for TV and movies. The current mega threads cover it pretty well and diluting that would just make me stop reading. Look how dead the anime thread is as an example.

Clean off some of the sticky. Why is the bloodworth thread doing at the top of the funhaus? It should be a Khushrenada thread

The forums as they are is as they are because it is gated by the small inconvenience of signing up which I am fine with. More people coming is balanced out by the fact you are going to have to deal with a lot more low effort people making a mess. As many people Steam forums, GameFAQ and the like has, it is bedlam.

The number of people we have here is a direct result to the traffic the main site gets. No amount of shuffling the forums or social engineering is going to change that. You want more forum members while keeping the quality of the community we have here? Get more site traffic while maintaining the quality of content as people will self select into the forums based on it.

One thing that might help site traffic but can take up a fair bit of work is doing short regular top#/list video regularly with a Nintendo related focus. People like them as it is bite sized chunks of very digestible information. It doesn't even have to be information, just Top # ways to die in mostly Nintendo video games. Please choose an arbitrary number other than 10 or don't have a fixed number at all for maximum flexibility.

A quick and dirty thing you can do is to export all the current podcasts onto youtube. Once you have done that for your future *casts you can have spilt screen talking heads if done live or add some related information on screen post edit. You can still have your podcast in audio files etc just that now you will have a much wider audience that you can filter to the site instead of hoping they will come to you randomly like I did because Big N got popular.

You have plenty of content on the main site, just very little visibility now days since you rely directly on Nintendo to be visible so directly. The primary problem NWR has is marketing, not content.

How did I miss this thread?

Make the forums great again! I vote in favor of consolidation.
*Visibly unsheathe knife.*
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2016, 07:26:33 AM »
I agree that combining handheld and console pages is probably a good idea. There is no real reason for them to be separate, especially now with the switch.
The only other place I go is talkback, so I have no opinion the rest of it.
I dont think a movies/tv/music/whatever group is worth it. Probably wouldnt be very active. This is a place for games.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2016, 08:15:48 AM »
I say we close it down. It's had a good run.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2016, 11:57:48 AM »
I agree that combining handheld and console pages is probably a good idea. There is no real reason for them to be separate, especially now with the switch.
The only other place I go is talkback, so I have no opinion the rest of it.
I dont think a movies/tv/music/whatever group is worth it. Probably wouldnt be very active. This is a place for games.

Lolmonade, the threads for movies and TV shows are some of the most active threads on the site. A lot of us old dogs have consolidated there because it seems to be one of the more unifying things we do outside of gaming. Some people are exclusive to these threads now.

Look at our activity numbers. Besides some of the ancient bastions of activity from the glory days, who stay in the top out of the sheer volume it used to do, and the current forum institutions of Sales data and the rumor mill, the most active and rising threads are about movies and TV shows.

That is also not counting the "spin-off" threads for the MCU, DCCU, and Star Wars, among others. I am for creating a new separate space for non-gaming media discussion.

Top 10 Topics (by Replies)                           
Official Sales Thread - 10785 (active)
The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt* - 8215 (active)
Wii U - e3 is over... now what? - 5975 (inactive)
Rate the last movie you've seen - 5397 (active)
Official Avatar Discussion - 4311 (inactive)
Rate the last TV show you've seen - 4031 (active)
Official Australian PGC visitors disscussion about anything thread - 4020 (inactive)
New Movies/TV Shows we should keep an eye out for! - 3652 (active)
Official Virtual Console Mondays Thread - 3462 (inactive)
Official DS Sales Thread - 3251 (inactive)

Top 10 Topics (by Views)
The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt* - 1369342 (active)
Official Sales Thread - 1346109 (active)
Wii U - e3 is over... now what? - 605727 (inactive)
Rate the last movie you've seen - 545496 (active)
Rate the last TV show you've seen - 419659 (active)
New Movies/TV Shows we should keep an eye out for! - 417946 (active)
Official DS Sales Thread - 365728 (inactive)
Official Virtual Console Mondays Thread - 350238 (inactive)
XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!! - 347597 (inactive)
Sony getting hit Hard lately - 343016 (inactive)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 12:05:14 PM by Stratos »
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2016, 03:16:21 PM »
"Reader reviews is a weird one. While it is nice having it's own space, I can't remember the last time I have gone in there for a review. If I did read a review in the it was in the "what are you playing" thread or the "Last gaming purchase".

You could re-purpose it into a writer's testing ground where people can post their reviews like they do now, but if it is good enough it gets posted on to the main site under guest reviews. If the quality goes up I might read them for fun/curiosity. if they are really good you can bring them in as staff."

Phil helps to keep that section active, but there's been an awesome Pokemon Moon topic in there recently.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2016, 04:58:37 PM »
Lolmonade, the threads for movies and TV shows are some of the most active threads on the site. A lot of us old dogs have consolidated there because it seems to be one of the more unifying things we do outside of gaming. Some people are exclusive to these threads now.

Honest mistake, Im sure, but Im not lolmonade.

Ok, you have proven me wrong, thats ok. Having those topics in the forum is perfectly fine, I just meant it probably doesnt need its own sub group.

To answer the question of the topic title, I think social media has killed forums almost everywhere. There was another gaming forum that I would post on all the time. It slowly got less and less active and then a bit over a month ago, the website shut down. That community moved onto a Discord chat and facebook group.
Thats part of the reason why I started posting here on NWR.