Author Topic: Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/Wii U)  (Read 356449 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/Wii U)
« Reply #1300 on: November 27, 2019, 03:12:50 AM »
Hooo boy. Personally, I'd put BotW ahead of Odyssey. I like Odyssey a lot but it's a smaller game than BotW. I didn't put in nearly the amount of time I did with BotW to basically complete Odyssey by getting all costumes and Power Moons. In addition, I was super addicted to BotW for the first couple months and was playing that constantly. Odyssey also got me hooked for awhile but by the time I'd kind of completed the story and unlocked all the worlds then I was more casual about it and could go between days of playing where as BotW was like an everyday obsession for sometime.

But, in a twist, I'd recommend playing Odyssey first. I think if you play that first then I don't think it will take much away from BotW compared to playing that first and then going into Odyssey.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: November 27, 2019, 03:51:41 AM »
They're both excellent games, but I think the main difference between them is that Odyssey is largely just a refinement of the existing 3D Mario formula, while Breath of the Wild is revolutionary to the Zelda series. I kind of agree with Khush that you'll probably enjoy Odyssey more if you play it before BotW.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1302 on: November 27, 2019, 04:41:42 AM »
Thanks for the advice.  I was leaning toward Odyssey because it seems like an more casual experience.  I am not a completionist so I don't need to get everything in both games.  But I do need something that I can play for 15 minutes or 30 minutes and put it down.  Maybe Breath of the Wild is that experience, but maybe it isn't.  I just know that Breath of the Wild is a super revolutionary game for Nintendo and Odyssey is the perfect refinement of the Super Mario 3D formula.  Thanks for the help. 

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: November 27, 2019, 02:42:15 PM »
The structure of Super Mario Odyssey definitely makes it better suited for smaller play sessions. I, personally, also think it's a much better game than The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and as such have played Odyssey a lot more. However, it isn't safe for me to get into that (especially here), so this is all I'm able to say.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: November 27, 2019, 06:54:07 PM »
Odyssey is definitely better for shorter bursts. I played it before BOTW, and liked to put in 30 minutes or so in the morning before work when I woke up especially early. BOTW was too involved for that, and it personally felt like you needed at least an hour to get anything meaningful done. Just firing it up to knock off a shrine or find a couple Koroks didn't seem appealing to me, especially given how naturally digressive the game is.

However, Odyssey is at the bottom of my list for 3D Marios (only like 3D land less, if that counts), and I think BOTW is incredible. Unlike the thought traitor above me.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: November 27, 2019, 07:45:30 PM »
I, personally, also think it's a much better game than The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and as such have played Odyssey a lot more. However, it isn't safe for me to get into that (especially here), so this is all I'm able to say.
However, Odyssey is at the bottom of my list for 3D Marios (only like 3D land less, if that counts), and I think BOTW is incredible. Unlike the thought traitor above me.

Hold up. I feel like I’m missing some critical details here.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: November 27, 2019, 08:50:38 PM »
Super Mario Odyssey ...a much better game than The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

I mean, I'll admit it is taking all my willpower not to ban Mop it up right now after that post.  ;)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: November 27, 2019, 08:55:09 PM »
I prefer Odyssey to Breath of the Wild too, and you can't ban me.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1308 on: November 27, 2019, 09:06:45 PM »
I have actually read several posts online saying Mario Odyssey is a better game than Breath of the Wild in structure, mechanics, and design...but Breath of the Wild is just so innovative.  I am kinda sad because Nintendo USA decided not to give us Odyssey at 30% discount so that is affecting my decision somewhat. 

I am curious why Magiccow thinks Odyssey is one of the worst 3D Mario games. 

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: November 27, 2019, 09:18:08 PM »
I like Breath of the Wild more, but I like both for different reasons. I loved getting lost in Breath of the Wild’s world. I’d start playing and suddenly it’d be 2:00 AM and I’d be totally F’d for work the next day. Because of that, I really liked how accomplished I’d feel playing Odyssey. I could definitely play for hours, but I could also pull myself away from the game far easier and still feel like I did a lot with that time.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: November 27, 2019, 09:40:43 PM »
I prefer Odyssey to Breath of the Wild too, and you can't ban me.

Yes and you like soccer too. You've made it abundantly clear with your choices that you've got no taste so that's why no bothers to ban you. There's no reason to take your opinion seriously on anything whether it be games, sports or the rules of conduct for posting here.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: November 27, 2019, 10:41:23 PM »
I am curious why Magiccow thinks Odyssey is one of the worst 3D Mario games. 

I kind of agree with that statement, but just because the 3D Mario games have almost all been amazing. The only one I would rate as less than great is Sunshine, and I'd put all but that and maybe one or two others above Odyssey, but Odyssey's still fantastic, it's just an incredibly high bar.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1312 on: November 27, 2019, 11:51:58 PM »
I understand the opinion of Sunshine but why Odyssey?  I know many complain about the number of moons and some of the tasks being too hard or obtuse.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1313 on: November 28, 2019, 12:08:04 AM »
Decided to go with the sell so Breathe of the Wild. Is the expansion content necessary or is it not really that big of a deal.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: November 28, 2019, 12:59:22 AM »
Decided to go with the sell so Breathe of the Wild. Is the expansion content necessary or is it not really that big of a deal.
You won’t know until you play the game and know how you feel about it. From what I’ve seen and heard, it’s a good amount of content and fun if you like to be challenged but not necessary in that the game feels incomplete without it or something.

I absolutely adored Breath of the Wild, and I still haven’t purchased the DLC. I was pretty content with what I played. I plan on replaying it eventually, and when I do, I’ll get the DLC.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1315 on: November 28, 2019, 01:50:49 AM »
Thanks for the advice all. You have been helpful.  I would have gotten Odyssey from your advice without the sale.  But Zelda is going to be fun.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: November 28, 2019, 02:49:54 AM »

Expansion is not necessary but I'll break it down later tomorrow for you as to what it adds and then you'll have a better idea if any of it is something you'd want now or later (or at all).

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: November 28, 2019, 07:59:36 PM »

If you're looking for a late game challenge then it's a must.  Breath of the Wild provides a great challenge early on but after a while when you get enough upgrades it losses it.  Now this a problem with all post NES Zelda games in general where by the end if you bothered to do most activities your insanely overpowered with no place to really test you anymore, but the DLC in Breath of the Wild does a good job of addressing it.  The DLC shines and dungeon also have some of the most complex puzzles in the game as well with by far the best boss fight at the end of it.

So it's not necessary since the main game is still loaded with content, but if you really like the game by the end, it provides some of the best content created for this game, especially if your looking for a challenge.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: November 29, 2019, 10:31:34 PM »
I understand the opinion of Sunshine but why Odyssey?  I know many complain about the number of moons and some of the tasks being too hard or obtuse.

I mainly think that about half the levels aren't particularly well-designed. It's a good game overall for sure, and basically the best 3D platformer of the generation by default, but there's something of a hollow core to it. I think I likened it somewhere else on here to eating a bunch of a candy instead of a nourishing meal. I actually like Sunshine better, warts and all.

As far as the BOTW DLC goes, the new shrines are very good, though the in-world activities around them aren't particularly interesting. I find the extra armor sets kind of out of place and junky. The culminating dungeon and boss are excellent (and the reward is quite fun to dick around with).

Still, the only essential component of the DLC I think is the progress tracker on the map. I used this constantly and would have had a much different experience without it. Really should have been patched into the base game.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1319 on: November 30, 2019, 08:23:41 AM »
Breath of the Wild is unapologetically hard at the beginning of the game.  It very much feels like the Original Zelda where every encounter (or screen) is dangerous and can kill you.  It is ruthless and exploring the unknown is dangerous.  It is fun, but because I haven't played this kind of action game in awhile, dodging and timing is tricky.  I have seen the game over screen an embarrassing number of times.  The experience is great though.  It is the first time I can truly say a 3D Zelda felt like the 2D Zelda's when it comes to exploring.  And getting from point A to point B can somewhat time consuming, a little frustrating, and perhaps dare say occasionally boring/work.  The world and experience is amazing so far.  I can see why it is such a brilliant and amazing game.  I can also see where some people see the faults.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1320 on: December 01, 2019, 06:25:28 PM »
Sorry I'm late, but Odyssey is definitely better for short bursts and is the best 3D Mario game.

Also, BotW DLC is only a must if you want to keep going after the story, but aren't interested in being a completionist (getting all korok seeds/photos/fully powered pants/etc).  So I would suggest if you think you'll only be playing BotW for a good while, but definitely wait.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1321 on: December 13, 2019, 12:39:03 AM »
I have been enjoying Breath of the Wild a lot, and actually this Zelda is pretty good for pick up and play short bursts.  Fast Travel with warping.  Short challenges with Shrines instead of temples.  The Combat takes some time to get used to though, and the game is definitely a challenge.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1322 on: December 29, 2019, 04:14:04 AM »
Finished Breath of the Wild, and I must say, I loved almost everything about it.  It really desires all the praise it got, and really is the future of the Zelda franchise.  There were things I didn't like, but understand their choices.  Things I think they could improve upon, but overall it was a wild ride. 

First, I understand the decision for weapons breaking as it forces the need to collect more weapons and experiment with weapons.  Though I think collecting and upgrading weapons of varying types without them breaking does the same thing.  So I understand the decision and fully support it, but also admit it doesn't feel like Zelda.

The thing I would improve upon is the lack of Zelda gadgets.  I would love to get the hookshot or double hookshot again.  Zelda having that "Metroid" feel of collecting items to further your progress and slowly get more power is a great feeling, and this game does give you that but at the same time doesn't.

The Stamina Bar is interesting, and overall I like the idea, but I think more standard way of upgrading it would be nice. 

The biggest lack was the traditional dungeons, especially themed dungeons.  I hope we get a fully realized more traditional Zelda experience merged with the Breath of the Wild structure.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1323 on: January 18, 2020, 01:49:29 AM »
Nintendo came out with a new video of doing 20 challenges in 20 minutes and it is bingo style. 

Here is the list that they were rolling with.

Defeat a Yiga Clan member
Collect a Korok seed
Fight a Hinox
Mount a wild deer or horse
Catch a fish
Ride a sand seal
Use only magnesis to defeat any enemy
Build a fire
Defeat an enemy without being spotted
Find a durian and make a dish
Fight a Lynel
Throw a chicken
Find a treasure chest
Hunt using a bow and arrow
Log ride down the river
Swim up a waterfall
Shield Surf
Defeat an enemy by throwing a weapon
Get yourself electrocruted
Reflect a blast from a guardian and defeat it.

For BnM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTFXq6AqQ4Q
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1324 on: April 08, 2021, 03:39:41 AM »
Bumping this topic since I am late to the party and I finally got Breath of the Wild.

I just spent maybe an hour and a half exploring the plateau to get all the runes and now I can either go fight Calamity Ganon or go and find Impa.  I am not a macochist so I will be finding Impa first and explore the world.

With my 4 spirit orbs I got the stamina upgrades since I want to explore a bit more.

The feel of the game is kinda stressful just exploring the worlds and coming across OP enemies like the Stone guys. Also knowing to be careful around guardian statues.   

I will have a read through this thread to see any tips or anything like that in the coming days.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.