Author Topic: Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/Wii U)  (Read 359929 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/Wii U) Out now!
« Reply #1250 on: February 17, 2018, 02:39:55 PM »
Overdue for a Zelda update.

I finally wandered into the Gerudo desert. I think this is one of the places I got close to early in the game but turned back since the Lizards were kicking my ass and electric bats were fucking me up on the regular (besides... I only had like 4 hearts, so I was almost dead on every slip up with not much in the way of being able to heal myself every 15 seconds LOL)

So what I've discovered while being in this barren sand box of an area is that 1) you can't get close to that damn Divine beast** even with a full leveled up Rubber suit on. You need a giant Sand Walrus to get around quickly because your horse will not go into the desert, the Gerudo are dead serious about that no "Voe" (man) rule, oh... and there is a giant sand Gator/shark out here.

I haven't figured out the best way to fight him yet, but I immediately see the inspiration from Tremors. LOL
I picture myself walrus surfing and leading this tremor to a bomb barrel that I then blow up right when he gets near it. I'm hoping that causes him to surface, where I can then hit him a few times with some shock/fire/bomb arrows before time locking him and doing it some more. then rinse/wash/repeat. Of course my first attempt didn't go anywhere neat as well as planned, but I did get maybe 1/10th off his life bar before he swallowed me up.

But back to the more important task.... I believe I need to get into Gerudo village before I can attack this Divine Beast. I know I'm supposed to wait on some dude that sneaks in looking like a girl.... and I assume that happens at night.

**But I also can't figure out how to get to the Ruta divine beast either.... I've talked to everyone I've ran into, climbed to the highest point, but I've obviously missed something somewhere.

and just for my own later recollection.... (Special Trades)
There is a guy that will trade 100 flint for 1000 rupeees in the (Ruta area)?
There is a guy that will trade 55 rushrooms for a diamond in the Gerudo area.
There is a guy that will trade 3x raw prime meat for $300 rupees in the hyrule castle area
and a lady that will trade specific ore for rupees in the Goron area.

anyone got hints on how to get to these Divine Beast? :)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: February 17, 2018, 05:43:10 PM »
The person you need to talk to is back at the Oasis. I found them up high.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: February 17, 2018, 05:52:45 PM »
Ah Gerudo. Though a bit barren, it is one of my favorite sections of the game. Allow me to give you all manner of advice. And if you are using a phone and want to read the spoilered text below than just hit the quote button for my post and you can read it all in your reply box that way.

As you know, there is a merchant that has been able to sneak in at night. So, you may have already triggered this person's appearance but to be safe you may want to go back to the entrance of Gerudo City again the next time nightfall occurs and talk to the merchants outside the city as one of them will mention about waiting for this person or knowing they make the trek from the Kara Kara Bazaar to Gerudo City at night. Once you've spoken with them, head back to the Kara Kara Bazaar. At the Bazaar, there is a tall building that sells arrows inside. Search around there.

As for getting to the Divine Beast, settle in. It will be awhile. Even when you finally gain entrance to Gerudo City, you are going to have to go on another mission first. The key to the Divine Beast is through Riju, the leader of the Gerudo. Also, Gerudo City is one of the 3 great towns in the game along with Kakariko and Hateno. There are a lot of people inside and there are a whole lotta sidequests that they've got for you and I do recommend completing them for one of my favorite rewards in the game. In any case, enjoy your time in Gerudo City because it is packed with all kinds of interesting characters and moments.

As for your Tremors Sand Beast Molduga, he's pretty easy but it took me a couple tries to figure him out. When I was watching my Hero Journey played out on the map, I was surprised at how much I died in the Gerudo region because I don't remember getting killed there much but, I guess all the Lizalfos and electric bats did do a number on me as well as the Sand Beast a couple times. Anyways, if you want the strategy I know (and I think is the only way to fight this beast), I would hurry over to a solid rock in the area that I can stand on since the beast is unable to come up from under one of them. Then I would get a round bomb via the Sheikah Slate and throw that onto the ground ahead of where the beast was moving. The beast would sense the bomb moving on the surface and jump up swallowing it. Once in his mouth and him in the air, I'd blow up the bomb. This would stun him for a bit allowing me to attack him for a little while before he got his senses. Once he was moving again, it was back to my rock and repeat until he was taken out.

As for the Rito Village Divine Beast, near the top of the village maybe about 3 or 4 huts down starting from the Village elder at the top, there should be a hut with a Rito lady who talks about her husband going to the Rito Target Practice Area just over in the Hebra region. The game would have cinematically focused on the spot you need to head to in order to find him. In any case, it isn't that far to go. Across the lake the village is surrounded on at the North side of the lake is a shrine and close to that shrine is the Target Practice Area. That should allow you to pick up the trail onwards to the Divine Beast.

Finally, if you are trying to do some rupee farming, one area I learned about early on when I was playing the game but only just recently got to last week is a place called Pondo's Lodge. A lot of people listed it as the best place to earn rupees fast. It's in the Hebra region which is a place I avoided to keep some areas fresh for exploration and because I was never in a hurry for rupees. I took my time exploring and collected a lot of gems and treasure chests so I didn't have to grind (or feel like I was grinding) for rupees but if you want to do that then this is probably the best place.

You don't have to go far in the Hebra region. Pondo's Lodge is right be the Sheikah Map Tower that displays the Hebra region on your map. It's a bowling minigame. You lift a snowball and throw it down a hill and try to knock down 10 pins. It costs 20 rupees a try but if you get a strike on your first throw then you get 300 rupees and can get 100 rupees if you make the spare. The tip that I knew of when coming to this area is that you have to throw the snowball from where Pondo is standing and looking when the minigame begins. I tried it from throwing behind him but then I found better success by standing Link right in front of Pondo and getting him to face / look in the same direction forward and then throwing the snowball. Doing this, I was able to figure out a spot geographically that I needed to aim and throw the snowball and could start getting strikes on my first throw with ease. I think if you go with this advice you should be able to figure it out too and could start racking up more rupees if you need them.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 05:54:21 PM by Linkle Link »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: February 17, 2018, 06:52:11 PM »
Throw some bombs to get the Molduga to surface, blow them up when he's in the air...attack, run, rinse and repeat. Awesome mini-boss, they can kill you easily, but they're also easy to beat without taking any damage.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: February 18, 2018, 02:16:06 PM »
All right gang I've stumbled upon a (presumably minor) snafu, and would like a bit of guidance!

I think the time has come to advance the main plot a bit further, so I wanna head towards Goron City/Death Mountain. Just scaled the Eldin Tower which is just on the cusp of where the volcanic heat becomes to much for Link to bear. I bought 3 elixirs, and just ran into a dude who wants me to collect salamanders to trade for fire-proof clothes.

That's neat and all, but I kinda wanna play this game without capturing animals if at all possible. Sooooo. What do? Is there fire-resistant armour somewhere for sale? Can I like, craft it, somehow? Or does this basically doom me to a life of fire elixirs from now on? Cause I'm a little short on cash after buying a completely empty house haha.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: February 18, 2018, 03:14:55 PM »
There is armor up ahead.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: February 18, 2018, 04:06:51 PM »
That said, if you want to upgrade the armor (or other armor sets) later on, there are times you will be required to provide animals to do so like salamanders or butterflies, for example. Hence, you may want to collect some now anyways or make the game more interesting with weaker stats.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: February 18, 2018, 04:58:27 PM »
You're playing the game in a very weird way. I'm Borderline triggered right now.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: February 18, 2018, 06:46:18 PM »
If you want a nice set of armor, you're going to have to capture some animals.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: February 19, 2018, 09:36:19 AM »
If you want a nice set of armor, you're going to have to capture some animals.

This is true, but you don't need the nicest sets of armor to be successful in the game. (It definitely does become harder without upgrading though.)

Keep pushing forward and I believe you can buy the heat-resistant armor at Goron City. Just don't waste time exploring in the hot areas before you get there if you are relying on potions to beat the heat.
NNID: ejamer

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/Wii U)
« Reply #1260 on: March 04, 2018, 02:15:22 AM »
Between major games at the moment, so I thought I'd go back to Breath of the Wild & play through the Champion's Ballad DLC.

Wow, that DLC is unbelievably terrible & lazy, even by the low standards of Breath of the Wild. The trailers & write-up beforehand hinted at playing as the other Champions, maybe playing out some of the actually-interesting backstory of the main game.  But no...just more shrines...on top of more shrines...on top of more shrines.

Because if there was one thing Breath of the Wild was definitely lacking in, it was fucking SHRINES! UGH...

And every 3 shrines, you get to fight one of the mediocre Divine Beast Ganon bosses again! Oh joy!

I still have to finish Daruk's 3 shrines, but so far this DLC's been a pretty big disappointment, since the story of what happened 100 years prior was what I considered the best part of Breath of the Wild.

Still, at least with the Ancient Bridle & Saddle I can make my horse actually moderately useful now by allowing it to Teleport, though you still can't use it in the Gerudo territory...because.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 02:18:32 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: March 04, 2018, 03:21:41 AM »
Well..... I guess now is as good a time as any for a Zelda update.

I haven't been playing as much lately, mostly letting my daughter handle the exploration... or whatever it is she likes to do (she did take out some small guardians and got really excited by it, she also took got the map and first "activated panel" in the Gerudo Divine Beast as well, so I was really proud of her)

But to back it up for a second.... I finally got inside the Yiga clan hideout. Took a few tries, but I mistakenly defeated them all stealthily and didn't get the blade the guards had, even though I did get it on previous attempts. The boss of the Yiga clan was embarrassingly easy. If I knew that was all there was to it, I would have handed the controller to my daughter and let her handle the fight.
But this lead me to the more important goal of being able to access the Divine Beast.

As I stated previously, my daughter handled the first 1/4 of the beast before she got stuck on how to manipulate the rotations to get where she wanted to go, and that even took me a minute before I figured out what I was trying to accomplish... and even then, if it wasn't for her pointing out something as simple as a ladder I didn't notice, and a chest I apparently didn't see and some guardians that were in the next room, I might not have solved it as quickly and completely as I did.

This then led to the 1 and done finish on the Sand Seal race time... 1:19.36 I think.

and then I took on the challenge of the Molduga.... why didn't anyone tell me that beating this thing was even easier than a squad of early game Bokoblins with clubs? (ok, maybe you guys did say it was easy... but come on. that was a lil too easy once you figure out the trick)
hint: TREMORS
you find the small circle rock in the middle of all the big platform rocks, and toss a bomb at the Molduga when it passes. it will come right to you. you blow up a bomb as soon as it jumps at you, and then you just go to town on it.... rinse wash repeat. no need to even move from your tiny rock. just throw another bomb to get it's attention, and then detonate another when it jumps. It literally just lays down and rolls over so you can kill it..... I was shocked to find out it could be that easy.

Quote from: Linkle Link
Also, Gerudo City is one of the 3 great towns in the game along with Kakariko and Hateno. There are a lot of people inside and there are a whole lotta sidequests that they've got for you and I do recommend completing them for one of my favorite rewards in the game. In any case, enjoy your time in Gerudo City because it is packed with all kinds of interesting characters and moments.

what reward is that?
because the chief asked if I wanted the Thunder Helm, and I opted to say I didn't need it, because I honestly don't know why I would need it, but what quest and reward are you talking about specifically, because I think I accomplished everything but figure out why I need to talk to the girl eating melons on top of the wall.

p.s. I still haven't found the bowling game.
and I've been to the target area... but I guess I never triggered anyone to meet me there for the Rito area....

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: March 04, 2018, 04:21:22 AM »
Alright, the new dungeon & boss in the Champion's Ballad is pretty alright. If more of the game had dungeons like that, I'd like the game a lot more than I do.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: March 04, 2018, 10:33:14 AM »
The final boss fight is fantastic. I wouldn't call the DLC lazy or terrible...it's just an expansion, and Nintendo said when it was announced (or shortly after) that it doesn't let you play as any other characters. The one thing that would have made it better is if it made the final Ganon battles (as in Hyrule castle) more challening, so that you actually needed the improved abilities.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: March 04, 2018, 10:51:55 AM »
Didn't know how easy it was to take out Molduga? That's practically what I told you to do! C'MON!! :D

Yes, Thunder Helm is the reward I'm talking about. You want to know why it's great? It makes you immune from lightning strikes if the weather is stormy. So you don't have to switch your swords, shield and bows to non-metal ones or carry weak non-metal items or drop the items or run and hide in a lightning storm. For me, the Gerudo region was something I beat early on in the game and then later when I was exploring the rest of Hyrule and there would be a bunch of lightning storms, I was so glad to just put on that helmet and continue about my business not caring about lightning. But I suppose the definition of a great reward can vary from person to person.

As for the Rito village, thinking about that some more, I assume you've talked with the village elder (Giant Owl). Hopefully you find the wife you need to talk to. I think she might be in hut or two by the girl that likes roasted apples. There's also a bird who's got a wing in a sling sitting in a hut. You may need to talk to him as well since he was a partner helping the Champion descendant you need to meet at the target range.

As for the Bowling game, if you are at the Hebra tower with all the big ice crystals below it, you should be able to see a small lodge / wood cabin right beside it to the East. That's where the bowling game is.

Here's a link to Imgur showing where to go and their suggestion of what to do: https://imgur.com/gallery/6LyMx
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 06:41:51 PM by Linkle Link »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: March 04, 2018, 11:54:42 AM »
Nice. thanks for the link.
I might go back and get that Thunder Helm... even though now that I've beaten the game on accident, most the rest of the stuff I'm chasing just seems irrelevant. LOL

But that's actually let me take a back seat and just more coach my daughter to complete more stuff. I even make her help me with puzzles, telling me what she would do, or what she thinks needs to be done to beat the puzzle. She had the back half of the Gerudo Divine Beast figured out... which was weird, because she made it seem like she already been up in the camel humps before I figured out how to get up there... (I'm trying not to think too hard about that.... but she almost knew where everything was, what enemies where up there, and what I needed to get by it.)

Oh, and yeah, everyone said the Molduga was easy... but seriously. I almost handed the controller to my 5yr old daughter to handle that fight... even while the Lizalfos ran up and tried to get in the mix, there was seriously no challenge to it once you find your perfect place for attack. Same with the Yiga clan boss. That fight was comic relief. LOL, especially the finishing blow. LMAO.

oh and whats the deal with the melon eating chick at the top of the wall in Gerudo town?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: March 04, 2018, 12:08:16 PM »
Thunder helm is great because you're lightning proof. Upgraded rubber armor makes you shock proof but you can still get hurt by lightning. Downside is it's pretty weak...but just swap it out when you're about to get struck in a battle and you're good.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: March 04, 2018, 01:33:12 PM »
Thunder helm is great because you're lightning proof. Upgraded rubber armor makes you shock proof but you can still get hurt by lightning.
No the Rubber Armor is shock and lightning proof.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: March 04, 2018, 01:56:13 PM »
I figured out Mulduga pretty easily since he reminded me of the Tremors films so I tried the strategy they did in those films (particularly the first one).
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: March 04, 2018, 02:51:01 PM »
Same with the Yiga clan boss. That fight was comic relief. LOL, especially the finishing blow. LMAO.

oh and whats the deal with the melon eating chick at the top of the wall in Gerudo town?

Yeah, the Yiga clan boss was surprising to me as well. There were a couple moments where I was trying to figure out what to do since it was an early boss I faced at the time but overall it was still quite easy. It was harder to sneak around and reach him than fight him. That said, I did kind of appreciate the humour of it all and I thought the Yiga clan was very neat to find and explore after running into their various agents throughout the world. That mission just helped make the Gerudo Divine Beast quest a lot more interesting than the others and, as my first Divine Beast, it took me awhile to figure out that shrine and solve it. It's definitely the hardest of the 4 beasts.

As for watermelon girl, I could spoil it and tell you directly what you have to do but for now, I'll just mention that there is someone in town you need to speak with who has a problem she is causing. If you just want me to be more specific than I'll tell you. By the way, have you ever been to the Voe and You class in Gerudo City?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: March 04, 2018, 04:45:31 PM »
Naw, it's good. I already got the helmet now. All is complete in Gerudo town itself.
Just need $10k now.... :/

So back to fund raising and attempting to complete the little side quest that I've wandered away from on the quest to start more side quest to wander away from. lol.

Time to sell meat. Visit the Vai in Goron City to sell minerals, collect more flint to sell, and rushrooms where ever possible to get those diamonds. And hopefully I come across the snow bowling so I can give that a shot, but no hurry on the fund raising. I still got about 15% of the map to explore including a 3rd maze we just spotted on the map.
I'm pretty sure I still have at least 200+ koroks to find and probably a dozen shrines to locate. (what's the maximum number of hearts you can get? and it is possible to max out both stamina and hearts? or do you have to swap between which one you want more of?)

Oh, and I sneak attacked all the Yiga guards, so I didn't get their wind cleaver. There is another place I can obtain one right? I fought them several times claiming that sword for my collection, but I never completed the mission on those attempts. I need that sword for the "weapon collector" side quest.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: March 04, 2018, 06:42:46 PM »
Ok I lied.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: March 05, 2018, 12:25:30 AM »
Max hearts.... I think it might be 26 but I have to double check that. I think you have to swap out stamina for all the hearts though but I haven't gotten all the shrines to know for sure. There are 120 shrines altogether before DLC so if you are warping somewhere and the black and white screen with tips comes on, you can check and see how many you've completed that way if you don't want to count all the ones on your map.

Also, Yiga swordsman will appear in areas and fight you so if you want a windcleaver you can probably get one that way. Pretty sure there is Swordsman that will appear at the end of Hylia Bridge by the end towers at the south close to the Hylia Tower. Also think there is one along the path between Lost Woods and the Stable on the north side of Hyrule Castle if I recall my encounters. There's plenty of other places too so chances are you'll run into one eventually if need. If you have you Sheikah Compendium complete with pictures or at least the entry for the Wind Cleaver, you could always try setting your Sheikah sensor to be on the lookout for windcleavers. It helped me find a weapon I needed for that quest. Sometimes you find windcleavers in treasure chests as well so be on the lookout for those.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: March 05, 2018, 01:08:21 PM »
Turns out I'm not done with the Gerudo town yet, as I went to the desert maze (LOL, I did it the hard way gliding in from the side thinking I was bypassing some actual maze, when all I did was get myself lost in it.... is there something special here besides the Shrine that was a straight shot from the entrance?) and from there I saw a shrine that I think I heard beeping when doing the divine beast.
Once I got there, there was a Gerudo lady there begging for a drink. So now that's the last Gerudo town business I think I have to do...

Also managed to take care of the Rito Divine Beast as well. that was a rather quick one to figure out, even though i almost gave up due to being in a rush since it was getting late (daughter was watching and she needed to go to bed, but I promised she could stay up and watch me beat it if it wasn't taking too long).

So I got all 4 lasers locked and loaded.
still got all sorts of little side quest to finish, about 10-15% map left to thoroughly explore, $10k to raise, a Fairy to activate, some armors to upgrade to the 4th level, Ancient Armor to obtain, all the little earrings and circlets in the Gerudo shop to get, and I then maybe the DLC... maybe.

(I really need to play some of my other games. Mario and Doom are both begging for some attention... Mario Kart also needs to have all it's secrets unlocked.)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: March 05, 2018, 03:21:24 PM »
Pretty sure you can get 30 hearts if you trade stamina wheels (or just don't maximize your stamina). It's not a good idea though, since you can always get temporary hearts.