Author Topic: Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/Wii U)  (Read 359590 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/Wii U) Out now!
« Reply #525 on: March 17, 2017, 02:39:24 PM »
Yeah, I could have entered from the correct entrance as well. I just wondered if I could just get right to the center without having to go through whatever it is the woods has a player do to get to the center from the entrance. Since I didn't actually want to start searching through a new territory and land while still having other areas I wanted to finish completely searching through first, I decided to just leave that spot alone for now. (Although I ended up searching and playing around Hyrule Castle the whole play session instead thus spending time in a new area anyways.)

I haven't played BotW for the past 3 days now and I am disappoint. Normally, this is the type of situation that can get me to start dropping a game or leave it half-finished and then wistfully ponder about going back and finally continuing on someday or completing it but BotW has such a hold on me right now that I know I'm getting right back into this game and am glad the weekend is here now for me to do some more long play sessions. Soon. Very soon.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 17, 2017, 07:08:57 PM »
If you have full hearts a one-hit-kills attack will always reduce you to a half/quarter heart, which is nice for saving your health real fast. I have made the mistake of forgetting to top off my hearts and then promptly die due to a single mistake.

I actually don't mind the ease of dying, as the auto save feature almost always allows me to restore just before the event that killed me.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 18, 2017, 01:34:09 PM »
After the first few hours, I haven't been killed. The food system is easy to exploit, so just stock up on meals. I also got 5 fairies from Kakariko when I first entered it, which makes for a safety net if I didn't pause and eat quickly enough for whatever reason. So just make sure you're stocked up on meals and fairies, and you have nothing to fear! Well, except maybe running out of weapons...

I also find that the counter + flurry rush maneuver is typically easy to activate as well, most things can be brought down by spamming that. For me, this is still an easy Zelda game after the beginning.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 18, 2017, 02:38:51 PM »
I will say this: the Hard/Hero mode coming in the summer needs to do two things in order to sell me on a revisit: double damage from enemies and the removal of flurry rush. It's just too low-risk, high-reward a mechanic to make the combat feel satisfying.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 18, 2017, 03:49:22 PM »
I'm not actually sure I know how to perform a flurry rush. Is that taught in one of the early shrines I might have missed?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 18, 2017, 04:25:28 PM »
I think the shrine in Kakariko Village mentioned it. What you do is dodge an attack at the right time, and then it goes into slow-mo and a Y-button prompt appears, then you mash Y to counter attack.

I will say this: the Hard/Hero mode coming in the summer needs to do two things in order to sell me on a revisit: double damage from enemies and the removal of flurry rush. It's just too low-risk, high-reward a mechanic to make the combat feel satisfying.
With the way health and food works, I don't think increasing damage output will amount to much. I'm curious if they will add new enemies and / or change up enemy behavior.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 18, 2017, 05:29:51 PM »
As I mentioned in my review, I do think that Skulltulas and Darknuts would be welcome additions to the current enemy ecosystem. Those hinted-at Leviathans would have also been a pretty cool feature. However, I highly doubt they'll put any more effort into adding enemy types. If enemies appear in larger groups, or elemental types are co-mingled a bit more, the game would become a bit more interesting.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 18, 2017, 05:51:29 PM »
I also find that the counter + flurry rush maneuver is typically easy to activate as well, most things can be brought down by spamming that. For me, this is still an easy Zelda game after the beginning.

I think the challenge of this game is learning how to approach encounters. there are still things that are horrible death in this game's early game if you don't have enough food. I actually didn't go to Kakariko village until MUCH later in my playthrough, and had to brute force my way through the likes of Thunderblight Ganon with pretty much no armor, no knowledge of flurry rush or how good the parry was, etc. I had to prepare a lot of lightning resist eats and extra heart eats, and even then, I barely eked out the victory there.

Sure, you may survive a hit from full hearts down to a quarter,  but often times the simple physics reaction of getting tossed and rolled about can deal that extra bit of damage to finish you.

That being said, I pretty much haven't died since I got the Master Sword and regularly farm some of Hyrule's most fearsome beasts. Savage Lynels are worth it alone because of how awesome their bows are.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 18, 2017, 06:04:31 PM »
Not learning about the game is more like an artificial challenge, ha ha. Then again, I guess the challenge of the game is to push the boundaries and see how far you can get. I never really did that, didn't interest me.

I find it interesting how many people skipped Kakariko for so long. I guess people have been getting sick and tired of Zelda games telling them what to do, ha ha. I went there as the game suggested since I figured there was still more it was going to tell me, and I'm glad I did since I was right.

Sure, you may survive a hit from full hearts down to a quarter,  but often times the simple physics reaction of getting tossed and rolled about can deal that extra bit of damage to finish you.
That's what carrying the five fairies is for like I mentioned, and even without that, you can pause and eat before Link starts to roll around like a moron.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 18, 2017, 08:43:57 PM »
Two things I imagine Hard mode is guaranteed to do since they're easy to implement are being at full health won't save you from being one shot by most attacks and limit the amount of food you can carry.  If an attack is suppose to do 5 hearts and you have 3, Hard mode will probably kill you instead of you being allowed a quarter heart to refill.  Same reason food will probably be limited so people can't just stock up to chomp chomp their way through all battles.

Doing that with what will probably be other easy to implement changes like more enemies, the stronger versions of enemies more common and bosses requiring more damage to kill would certainly give the game a substantial difficulty boast.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 18, 2017, 09:20:28 PM »
I'm not actually sure I know how to perform a flurry rush. Is that taught in one of the early shrines I might have missed?

As an enemy attacks, you dodge by jumping left/right/backwards.  If you did it right, everything will slow down and it'll button prompt you to spam the attack button, and you'll get several hits in before the flurry rush breaks. 

I want to say one of the shrines I ran across in game does sort of give you a brief tutorial, but I had learned of it prior to finding that shrine.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 18, 2017, 10:45:42 PM »
Okay I beat that boss I was having trouble with... barely.  Quite a rush since it seemed obvious about halfway through that I would run out of arrows which I assume I required to defeat him.  Had maybe three arrows left with a badly damaged bow when he went down.  A big problem is that I have not been getting extra bow slots because it seemed I never needed them.  Suddenly I'm in a situation where I do and my bows were breaking and I was nearly **** out of luck.  I have to get better at the fights in this game.  I don't tend to use the dodges much which I needed to be good at on the boss.  I had some times where I get the flurry attack and I'm pressing Y and Link doesn't do anything.  Is there some extra command I have to include?  I was really keeping my distance with this boss so maybe I was just outside of range as Link would auto-run towards the boss when the flurry attack worked.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 18, 2017, 11:31:42 PM »
I had some times where I get the flurry attack and I'm pressing Y and Link doesn't do anything.  Is there some extra command I have to include?  I was really keeping my distance with this boss so maybe I was just outside of range as Link would auto-run towards the boss when the flurry attack worked.

If you just keep rapidly pressing Y during the whole sequence Link should continue to attack.  I know one of the bosses has a pretty long reach and I activated Flurry Rush like right at the tip of it's reach and Link still ran right up to the boss to start attacking.  You also have to make sure you continue holding L down so the enemy is targeted.  I've had times where I've accidentally let go of L and the Flurry Rush stopped because they weren't targeted anymore.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 19, 2017, 02:17:51 AM »
Not learning about the game is more like an artificial challenge, ha ha. Then again, I guess the challenge of the game is to push the boundaries and see how far you can get. I never really did that, didn't interest me.

I find it interesting how many people skipped Kakariko for so long. I guess people have been getting sick and tired of Zelda games telling them what to do, ha ha. I went there as the game suggested since I figured there was still more it was going to tell me, and I'm glad I did since I was right.

That's what carrying the five fairies is for like I mentioned, and even without that, you can pause and eat before Link starts to roll around like a moron.
A great deal of the appeal of the game is being able to go anywhere. I spent about 4-6 hours after leaping off of the Plateau exploring before naturally coming upon Kakakiro, and it was an organic learning experience that helped me a great deal. The best thing about Breath of the Wild is that it has standard Zelda elements and progression intermingled with open-world exploration- if you're used to playing Zelda a certain way, you can follow all of the quest markers and learn about mechanics faster, but not everyone is going to do this. I'd argue people shouldn't do it, but that's just me being a free spirit.

Just because you have a better handle on the combat mechanics and you've overstocked on food and fairies doesn't make the game easy. In fact, taking the time to hunt and gather is a facet that shows you are rewarded for doing work in the game, and the method of making your hunting and gathering economic takes at least 4-6 hours to obtain. Enemies hit like a truck in this game, and the only way to make that less of a problem is by upgrading gear so that enemy attacks deal less damage. The first fairy spring is relatively easy to find, but the economy required in order to unlock tiers 2-4 is a large time-sink. Either you're constantly warping back to the Fairy Fountain to recover those fairies, or you're going out of your way to gather vast amounts of resources, or you're avoiding as many fights as possible. All of those options sound pretty bland to me, and that's why I don't utilize them, personally.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 19, 2017, 12:54:06 PM »
So I was up high near Lanayru Tower and across the valley on the other side is Quatta's shelf. I see a yellow beam of light shoot into the sky! I checked my map and I didn't have a marker or a stamp there.  Besides, it looked a little different than a marker, a little narrower. I was going to teleport over to Kakariko village and see what it was, then it disappeared! What the heck was that?

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #540 on: March 19, 2017, 01:19:46 PM »
That's a ball of Stardust, a rather rare material drop that randomly drops around midnight. There are a number of specific places you can camp in order to consistently see them land, but you have to reach them before the sun comes up, or they vanish.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: March 19, 2017, 01:23:48 PM »
ShyGuy, that is most likely a shooting star. Go to that spot to find a shooting star item. The star will disappear at dawn (5 AM), so you have to get there quickly.

You also have to make sure you continue holding L down so the enemy is targeted.  I've had times where I've accidentally let go of L and the Flurry Rush stopped because they weren't targeted anymore.
This isn't true, I let go of ZL all the time during the flurry rush and it doesn't stop.

The best thing about Breath of the Wild is that it has standard Zelda elements and progression
I disagree. The game directs the player to the first couple of villages, but after that, it's pretty much up to the player to figure out the majority of the game.

Either you're constantly warping back to the Fairy Fountain to recover those fairies, or you're going out of your way to gather vast amounts of resources, or you're avoiding as many fights as possible.
I haven't been doing any of these things after the first few hours on the Great Plateau. The world is filled to the brim with items, so I haven't had any trouble stocking up on meals, for example. I've come across a whole lot of stuff I needed just from "normal" exploration, or at least, normal for me.

That's the interesting thing about this game though, different players will have different experiences.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: March 19, 2017, 01:26:32 PM »
So I've played a fair bit more. I've now cleared 37 shrines and conquered my first Divine Beast at Zora's Domain. I love the nature of the dungeon itself in comparison of the shrines but I just love the variety of puzzles overall.

But even better than the dungeons are the crazy labyrinth shrines. I've cleared 2 of them so far and they've been the most satisfying experience in the game so far. To see these massive structures out in the world and then to actually go into these mazes and complete them is actually pretty fun. I do enjoy how the game gives so many variety to shrine design, and actually integrating them into the world in fun way.

Also, I found Spectacle Rock and had a laugh when I saw it on the map.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 19, 2017, 01:31:04 PM »
I agree Soren, those shrines you mentioned in spoilers were one of the best experiences I had in the game. However, I also immensely enjoyed a specific shrine off the coast of Eastern Hyrule that really tests your survival skills. I won't spoil it for those who haven't found it yet, but it's one of the coolest and most memorable in the game.

And I concede to you, Mop. You're just so much better at playing the game than I am.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: March 19, 2017, 01:48:43 PM »
But even better than the dungeons are the crazy labyrinth shrines. I've cleared 2 of them so far and they've been the most satisfying experience in the game so far. To see these massive structures out in the world and then to actually go into these mazes and complete them is actually pretty fun.
I was actually disappointed in those, because they're so easy to cheese by climbing the walls to the top. They're also mostly empty, with few enemies and no real traps or puzzles.

And I concede to you, Mop. You're just so much better at playing the game than I am.
That isn't what I'm saying, simply that I played the game differently and didn't seek out challenge. And also giving suggestions for anyone having some difficulty with it.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #545 on: March 19, 2017, 02:04:40 PM »
It sounds to me like you did a lot of cooking, Mop. While I was able to climb to the top of those with stamina boosting food, I was never really fond of that method, plus there's a few pretty good weapons hidden in secret passages and whatnot.

I am starting to see what you mean by not "seeking out challenge," but that's your own method of approach, and I guess that's the brilliance of the game, and also what made you think it was easy.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: March 19, 2017, 02:30:12 PM »
I cooked up a lot of my ingredients, yeah. I liked seeing the various results, plus selling meals was a decent way to get some cash. I enjoyed thoroughly exploring an area before moving on to another area, so I would pick up a lot of the items that were scattered around each area, plus also complete any shrines and quests I could. I also didn't try to venture into the far reaches of the world until later, and that seemed to be where stronger enemies were. Plus, the first "dungeon" I cleared happened to be the Zora one, so getting Mipha's Grace first certainly helped with survivability. I also couldn't beat the Lynel there and had to sneak around it, though it was more because I didn't have strong enough weapons when I tried to fight it.

I think I found the climbing gear (or parts of it) early on, so that made it easier to climb up higher places. I also focused more on stamina in the early goings, since I didn't find hearts all that useful until later.

Just to be clear here, I don't think my way of playing the game is better, or that anyone else's way of playing is worse. Just attempting to offer up another perspective on the game. This is a game that pretty much lets people play the way they want to play, and there's no wrong way to do that. The challenge level is very much tied into that as well, and I think the paths I chose were the easier ones, something I was probably downplaying with the way I was talking and I shouldn't have done that. I don't play games for challenge, so I wasn't looking for it.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #547 on: March 19, 2017, 02:38:48 PM »
I actually did that dungeon first, as well, but I still don't think a method of auto-resurrecting means the game isn't hard. It's always cool to hear how people attempted the game, though, and I think your method is just as valid as anyone else. Only started cooking much more when the environmental hazards required it, and then when I finally realized how expensive some of the late-game stuff was, I started selling some food.

Something to take note of, that I think people might find rather interesting, is that the number of shrines completed also scales the types of enemies spawned. I'm sure some people might have encountered Silver Bokoblins, Moblins, or Lizalfos at some point, but their spawn rate increases as you accomplish more in the game, which means you can get better material drops from killing them (Silver Bokoblins actually have a chance of dropping rare minerals) and you'll have to scavenge for better weapons, too. Fortunately, another interesting and awesome system is that weapons with better attributes have a higher rate of spawning as you complete more Shrines, as well.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 19, 2017, 03:37:39 PM »

So I finished Ganon a couple of days ago. 

Now that I've finished the game it is now firmly at number two in my list of favourite Zelda games.  Twilight Princess still reigns supreme by a great deal in my opinion.  And if BotW can't beat it then I don't imagine it's going to be surpassed any time soon.

This game was certainly looking to topple it until I got to the end.  I found the end boss and story conclusion so disappointing.  It caused the whole thing to fall flat.  I won't go into it yet as I see the vast majority here don't appear to have finished the game so I'll avoid posting any spoilers. 

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #549 on: March 19, 2017, 03:43:22 PM »
I know how you feel, but I still think that the moment-to-moment gameplay of Breath of the Wild far outshines Twilight Princess. The only thing TP does better is running and attacking at the same time.