Author Topic: Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/Wii U)  (Read 359631 times)

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/Wii U) Out now!
« Reply #350 on: March 06, 2017, 06:37:43 PM »
I really wish the weapons didnt break. Or at least didnt break so easily

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 06, 2017, 06:51:20 PM »
I swing back and forth on weapon breaking. It makes all weapons you find of interest even if they are weaker and makes me try new things or changes up combat. However, on the downside, I hate having to search for a weapon or having multiple weapons break in combat forcing me to cycle through and find something else mid-fight or lose a weapon I really like. My main weapon of choice has pretty much become the bow though. I just prefer sniping away at a safe distance than rushing around in close quarters combat. To me, that's survival mode. Keep your distance from the danger. I'll also throw bombs from a distance to since you can remote detonate them in this game. I love how the Moblins will towards the bombs to find out what the noise / movement is about. I can just keep blowing them up over and over until their health runs out.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 06, 2017, 09:22:58 PM »
I love how the Moblins will towards the bombs to find out what the noise / movement is about. I can just keep blowing them up over and over until their health runs out.

I was doing that yesterday too. It was one of those bases with the giant skull. I was standing in the  eye hole and throwing them down

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 06, 2017, 10:03:16 PM »
The combat really forces you out of your comfort zone. I've always been a sword and shield guy, but there isn't enough of that to go around so far. I've been using exploding barrels, luring enemies away and climbing to the high ground to pick them off, lots of Slate bombs and fire arrows. The bow and arrow is a much more valuable weapon than a sword in this game.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 06, 2017, 10:18:34 PM »
Love having a horse, but it may have hampered a bit of the "free-form exploration" as I don't want to stray too far from my ride. But I don't want to leave town without him for fear of needing him for some swift transportation. I refuse to the the warping feature and that just ruins the experience. I've only used it once in the snowy area when I was down to half a heart and no more warming food.

To all the bow lovers out there, how are you keeping in supply of arrows? I am always running out!
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: March 07, 2017, 12:43:54 AM »
When I started playing this game on Friday, I was so caught up in how great it looked on the Switch in handheld mode and how joyous it was to explore the world that it sort of slipped my mind how expansive this game is supposed to be. I spent hours exploring the Great Plateau, thinking it was so big, and it was only a few hours later when I zoomed out on the map that I saw how enormous the world was and remembered “oh yeah, this area that I think is huge is only supposed to be a tiny fraction of the entire game… whoa.” And, man, the world in this game really is gorgeous. I love the art style.

I’m still on the early journey to Kakariko Village to see Impa, so I don’t want to make too many bold claims yet. But so far, for me, Nintendo has delivered on the promise of making this a spectacular open world game and a true, worthwhile evolution of the Zelda formula. I’m really looking forward to playing a lot more of this game over the next month (and throughout the year) and getting much deeper into it.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 07, 2017, 12:52:43 AM »
On the issue of weapons breaking, that hasn't bothered me.  I mean, I just use the weaker weapons on the weaker enemies and even though they break easily, it's easy to get a lot of them.  Then I save my stronger weapons for stronger enemies and then they usually leave behind another strong weapon to use so it's not like I'm losing anything.  The more rare, really powerful ones you find hidden away I save those for Guardian fights or other overworld boss like creatures.  Yeah those ones suck to lose but the area's I've been to so far have spaced out the Guardian and boss like creature encounters pretty good so I usually find another really powerful weapon before the next big fight so far.

To all the bow lovers out there, how are you keeping in supply of arrows? I am always running out!

Well if you run into Beedle, you can buy around 30 from him.  I also make sure not to use my arrows on weaker enemies, just save them for stronger foes and even then, aim for the head then rush in for melee attacks.  Then I save the special arrows for emergency situations where I'm ambushed by several Moblins or Lizalfos at once.  That's been working for me so far.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 01:20:24 AM by Luigi Dude »
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 07, 2017, 01:33:50 AM »
I defeated my first (immobile) Guardian. It took about 45 minutes and many, many bombs. It wasn't worth it.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 07, 2017, 02:32:37 AM »
I also like the way they decided to handle weapon durability in this game. I do agree that there ought to be a few more slots for melee weapons, given their broad range of uses, but I like the idea of having to constantly cycle through an inventory of weapons and having to get creative when things don’t necessarily go your way. It makes for a lot of satisfying moments like hitting an enemy with a sword a bunch of times, getting the prompt telling you that your sword is badly damaged, throwing the sword and smashing it into the enemy’s face, and then picking up the enemy’s own weapon and finishing it off with that. There are times where I’ve had to scramble to change my approach in the middle of a battle, but I’ve never felt like I had a lack of options or that a fight was hopeless. The way they handle durability makes a lot of sense within the overall design of the game.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 07, 2017, 04:41:30 AM »
I defeated my first (immobile) Guardian. It took about 45 minutes and many, many bombs. It wasn't worth it.

Try deflecting their blast next time.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: March 07, 2017, 07:03:52 AM »
I have made two raids on Hyrule Castle and done everything there except fight Ganon. Which I will do later after I finish the other two dungeons, but anyways. This Hyrule Castle is probably the best designed final dungeon in the series. Hell, probably one of the best dungeons in the series. It's good to go there and get a stockpile of strong weapons and you can also get a Hylian Shield.

If you are having trouble with Guardians, go northeast to the Akkala region, find the other laboratory there and complete the quest there. You can start getting Ancient Arrows which take 1-3 shots to kill Guardians (headshots (eyeshots?) are one hit kills).

Amiibo equipment drops for classic tunics are random and you can save scum. Skyward Sword and Fierce Deity equipment are still unknown though. It isn't pay2win as the Champion's Tunic has better defense.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 07:06:50 AM by Triforce Hermit »
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 07, 2017, 07:13:23 AM »
There's certain shrine early on that only uses the motion controls for its puzzle. I like how the motion controls were put into the bow but this was just a pain in the ass. There was no way to reset the puzzle back to a neutral state and if you combined quick movements with more subtle movements you needed to hold the controller at a weird angle if you tried to reset manually. If you backed out of the puzzle it still kept the last position you put it in and I sure as hell didn't want to back out of the shrine completely. It just feels like a weird design choice to not have a reset button in that case. It just made the puzzle more annoying than fun because it's pretty simple but it required a lot more mechanical skill than was needed.

So what I ended up doing was I accidentally turned the entire puzzle upside down. The ball still dropped, only I didn't need to navigate through this stupid maze, I only needed to carefully aim it into the chute I mean, I like that the game gives you different ways of completing puzzles but I can't believe how easy it was to cheese. That's bad.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 07, 2017, 10:04:19 AM »
So, I'm gonna be frank here. I came into this game expecting to dislike it.

Don't get me wrong; I'm pleasantly surprised at how on point and amazing Breath of the wild has been. this is the Legend of Zelda game that has made me stop and truly question my blind love of the 2D Zelda games over the 3D ones, and my overall waning interest in the franchise since 2011. This game is SPECIAL. it should be remembered and celebrated for more reasons than I can name. Simply put, I'm having a blast in a way that I haven't with a video game in a LONG ass time.

That isn't to say I don't have criticisms. Far from it!

First and foremost, This game's soundtrack. Most of the time, it's simply just not present, or it's someone diddling a few notes on a piano, getting up, taking a sip of Oronamin C, going to a curry restaurant, taking a stay at a nap hotel, only to come back to the sound recording studio and tapping out a few more notes.

This soundtrack is good when it decides to get anthemic. as it is, it sounds royalty free and minecraft-y. Please never use this game for Radio trivia because I will never get it unless it's something that cribs on previous themes of the series or the music that plays when A Yiga tribe guy comes to ambush you

My other issue with this game is that HOLY **** they found a way to keep you in the inventory management screen for longer than they do in Link's Awakening. you CONSTANTLY have to pitch things or switch clothes for the situation or eat something or sit down for 15 minutes to cook all the crap you've accumulated or you're messing with map markers or photo management or unequipping crap because it's going to burn or get you zapped or SOMETHING and it's mega, MEGA tedious sometimes.

These are small peas though. This has got to be the first open world game I've played where I feel like the game feels really balanced, and that somehow Ragdolling doesn't cause horrible glitchiness... the only time I've really encountered a major issue was one time I got my huge ass horse caught in an underpass where I couldn't get on it's back and it couldn't move so I had to board it at the stable, but like... Everything is great. I'm LOVING This game SO much for just... subverting all my expectations and  being awesome in a way I could not have foreseen.

also, I have to give special shout-outs to the character design here, because usually there's NPCs in these 3D Zelda games or an enemy that gives me weird uncanny valley syndrome and that's not the case. It feels like every returning race in this game from another Zelda game is reprisented by the best versions of their designs throughout the years, and for ones that just... didn't work (The Rito in wind waker creep me the **** out for some reason and just are like... creepy people wearing duck bills on their faces) and things just... work. I even feel this is probably my favorite design for Impa, who is somewhere in the happy middle ground between something from a Miyazaki film, A Naruto Hokage, the original LoZ Impa, and Grandma from Wind Waker

Like.... EVERYTHING just looks good. even the Great Faries look good, and they're some of the most nightmare inducing things from Ocarina of Time.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 10:13:03 AM by ClexYoshi »

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 07, 2017, 11:49:02 AM »
It's really interesting hearing some of you say the music is underutilized.  I agree it's sparse, but I've loved how the game so far has used it to accent different moments in the game rather than have a background theme playing all the time based on what portion of the map you're in.

I suspect the dungeons will have background music, given the little trials have their own background music while you're in them.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 07, 2017, 12:06:12 PM »
There's certain shrine early on that only uses the motion controls for its puzzle. I like how the motion controls were put into the bow but this was just a pain in the ass. There was no way to reset the puzzle back to a neutral state and if you combined quick movements with more subtle movements you needed to hold the controller at a weird angle if you tried to reset manually. If you backed out of the puzzle it still kept the last position you put it in and I sure as hell didn't want to back out of the shrine completely. It just feels like a weird design choice to not have a reset button in that case. It just made the puzzle more annoying than fun because it's pretty simple but it required a lot more mechanical skill than was needed.

So what I ended up doing was I accidentally turned the entire puzzle upside down. The ball still dropped, only I didn't need to navigate through this stupid maze, I only needed to carefully aim it into the chute I mean, I like that the game gives you different ways of completing puzzles but I can't believe how easy it was to cheese. That's bad.

Yeah, I started getting pretty upset at that Shrine also. My problem was just flipping the ball onto the down ramp. So many times I got the ball to the middle and started the descent but the flip didn't work. The momentum would be cut short or my flip would turn the board and send it off direction. It was a royal pain. But I found you could reset the motion controls. When the board started to get off from my gamepad, I'd maneuver my game pad to make the board as level as possible and angled correctly then hit B to cancel playing the map returning the camera to Link. This allowed me to re-align the gamepad in my hands and then hit A to examine the Shrine structure that allows you maneuver the board and start again.

I was on IGN yesterday and saw they had some advice for this Shrine including the upside down method you listed. Another was to toss off the orb right away and then turn the board 90 degrees to the right and then angle it slightly toward yourself. In this way, when the ball drops again, it will just drop right down end alley so you don't have to maneuver it from the maze but just roll it down the alley and flip it over. Would have been nice to have thought of that instead of always realigning my Gamepad and wasting at least 20 minutes trying to flip that stupid orb 15 times or so.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 07, 2017, 12:37:40 PM »
One of my favorite moments of this game so far has been Eventide Island. Has anyone else been out there yet?

Last night I went through a couple frustrating battles. First, it was the Yagi Swordsman to unlock the second Shrine above Kakariko village and the second was a shrine about A Modest Test of Strength. I suck at combat. I know the principles and there are certain moves that can be done when timed right but I guess I need more practice because I would end up in a position of attacking the Swordsman and while landing flurries get a 1-hit KO or while trying to jump in the air and attack him get 1-hit KO'd. Finally just took him down with a lot of hit and run tactics and shooting some trick arrows at the end to keep my distance.

As for the shrine, I understood the patterns of the Guardian easy enough so I didn't have a problem with the attack. The issue there was that since it is a robot all my melee weapons got weak and broke over time. So, it was a real suck on my weapon inventory. Fortunately, near the end, the robot stays pretty stationary so I could just wear it down with bombs at the end since my worthwhile weapons were all depleted but it was a long battle of attrition over 3 attempts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 07, 2017, 01:36:35 PM »
I don't have any problems with the weapon durability because there are always weapons laying around everywhere. I think the mechanic works well to add variety since it forces me to switch around instead of just using the best one all the time. And I don't even save the "good" ones anymore since when I was doing that, I'd end up finding better stuff and never using the ones I'd saved.

while landing flurries get a 1-hit KO or while trying to jump in the air and attack him get 1-hit KO'd. Finally just took him down with a lot of hit and run tactics and shooting some trick arrows at the end to keep my distance.
Remember! Keep your hearts at full, and you can't be killed in one hit.

I felt a bit like Mop it up who mentioned giving the game a lower score than Neal's 9.5. However, with more playtime into it and advancement, I'm trending upwards in my critical take of the game. Guess we'll see how it plays out but, at this point, I'm not sure I ever want to go back to the old style of Zelda games.
The game's been getting better for me also, as I suspected it's more fun later on. However, I still prefer the best Zelda games over this one, but it's fun for what it is.

I wonder what sort of impact this game would have had on the Wii U. I can definitely see it boosting sales a bit but I think the perception of the Wii U still would have caused a lot of people to miss out on it.
  People say this about every Wii U game that came out in 2015 and beyond. The way I see it, if Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros did nothing to boost units, nothing was going to. The only way I could see Zelda changing anything is if it were a launch title, but that would have been impossible.

Offline Kwolf

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 07, 2017, 02:05:52 PM »
I have enjoyed this game so much, yet I have hardly progressed in the story at all.  I have spent most of my time just exploring and checking out so many sights.   I just this morning finally got the map filled in for every zone.  Yet I have just barely scratched many of them.  The world has just been a blast to explore.

Also yikes, I had no idea Wizrobes would be so daunting in my exploration and tower attempts.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 07, 2017, 04:51:53 PM »
while landing flurries get a 1-hit KO or while trying to jump in the air and attack him get 1-hit KO'd. Finally just took him down with a lot of hit and run tactics and shooting some trick arrows at the end to keep my distance.

I would pause the battle from time to time to eat a dish and fill up my hearts but there were still times where I was whacked by the sword and Link would end up rolling on the ground and groggy. My hearts were reduced to 1/4 of a piece and as he lay there or start to get up then that 1/4 would disappear. Unless he was getting injured a second time somehow and I just didn't see it, it looked to me like it was a 1-hit KO. That's what was getting to be frustrating about the fight. He'd land one good blow and I was toast.

I have enjoyed this game so much, yet I have hardly progressed in the story at all.  I have spent most of my time just exploring and checking out so many sights.   I just this morning finally got the map filled in for every zone.  Yet I have just barely scratched many of them.  The world has just been a blast to explore.

Also yikes, I had no idea Wizrobes would be so daunting in my exploration and tower attempts.

Nice. That's what I'm thinking I'm going to do now. It was kind of weird last night but I suddenly realized that the game had stopped giving me instructions of what to do next and is basically just leaving it in my hands now. I've got three quests - get my memories to unlock the story (which I'm really liking. This game reminds me a bit of Metroid Prime story telling with how optional it is for you to fill it in), get to the 4 dungeons/Divine Beasts and beat Ganon. However, it's giving me no instruction of any order to proceed or what would be the next best step. It is now in my hands to progress in whatever way I choose.

Up to this point, I had been trying to search each region I got a map for as thoroughly as possible before moving on but the divisions of the map are sometimes weird. For instance, the East Necluda map section that has Hateno village has most of the southeaster water included but there is a large strip at the bottom that gets filled in from the West Necluda side which seems strange to me as to why it got divided like that. It bugged me that there were surrounding things I couldn't accurately mark on my map because it wasn't filled in so I trekked off to get that filled just trying to travel through the area as quickly as possible to get directly to the tower without exploring too much. Something I'll come back to. Now, I'm thinking I might just book around Hyrule to all the towers and get them set up and then begin a more thorough search of the land being able to better mark things. When I think of how much I've seen and done so far and it's all been pretty confined to this small part of the map, I'm just astounded that there are still 3 more quadrants to explore.

I just don't know how the Zelda team tops this or follows it up.

And can I just say how it hit me last night when I was booting up the game at how the Zelda Team and Nintendo have subverted another longtime element of the franchise. The discarding of a green uniform. I don't think there has been a game where there wasn't a picture of Link (on one Link in the case of 4 Swords/Triforce Heroes) wearing his green tunic / outfit. It's the Blue Champion's shirt that's on the cover and I've seen no sign of a green uniform yet. It might still come up somewhere near the end. I know there are some green clothes that can be obtained by Amiibo but those bonuses aside the in game world and shops have had nothing resembling the traditional Hero's Outfit. When the very first short clip of BotW was released and Link was wearing this blue uniform, I just assumed that it was taken from the opening of the game with Link as part of a small humble village before he gets the call to be a hero and put on the garb like Wind Waker or Twilight Princess but that is not the case. In big and small instances, from advanced sci-fi tech to obtaining hearts and health, this game is really testing all manner of Zelda tropes and succeeding in my mind. It's consuming my free time and I love it. This is turning into one of those special games that re-energizes my love of video gaming. It's been awhile since I've played a game that has gotten me so pumped to be a gamer and pursue this hobby.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #369 on: March 07, 2017, 05:00:50 PM »

I would pause the battle from time to time to eat a dish and fill up my hearts but there were still times where I was whacked by the sword and Link would end up rolling on the ground and groggy. My hearts were reduced to 1/4 of a piece and as he lay there or start to get up then that 1/4 would disappear. Unless he was getting injured a second time somehow and I just didn't see it, it looked to me like it was a 1-hit KO. That's what was getting to be frustrating about the fight. He'd land one good blow and I was toast.

I've been noticing stuff like that too.  It seems rolling on the ground after getting hit incurs damage.  It's happened to me after not being OHKO'd.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 07, 2017, 05:50:56 PM »
Huh, that's weird. I haven't yet seen rolling on the ground take away that last quarter. Even if it does, can't you also pause and eat before that happens?

I just don't know how the Zelda team tops this or follows it up.
That one's easy: Just make another game like this but add at least 8 dungeons, plus some more Zelda elements. Then it would be the best Zelda yet! For me, anyway.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 07, 2017, 08:21:26 PM »
I am curious to see what a dungeon in this game is like. How complex and long they will be. Because if they don't take too long as has been rumoured or are kind of simple, you may be right about making much longer and complex dungeons as an addition for future games. Guess we'll see how it turns out. Majora's Mask had 4 dungeons but they weren't that hard or complex to solve because of the 3 day time limit. Not sure what it will be like in this game with no time limit but with scattered weapons about.

One thing that occurred to me yesterday and Sunday while I was playing is that I haven't seen any caves yet. Twilight Princess had some caves you could enter. Wind Waker sort of did too. Black holes you could drop into. I consider the shrines the equivalent of that. XCX had caves to explore on its world of Mira but so far my encounters of Hyrule have been cave free. Maybe there's another element that could be used for the next Zelda in 2022.

Huh, that's weird. I haven't yet seen rolling on the ground take away that last quarter. Even if it does, can't you also pause and eat before that happens?

Hmmm. I'm trying to remember now if I could or not. There were some times were I could get up and be alright and then pause and eat something but while lying on the ground, I think was too busy hitting A and trying to quickly move away before another strike occurred to think about hitting the pause button. My mind was focused on reacting to escape not looking for a quick replenishment.

That's why I mentioned being unsure about whether there was some other element inflicting damage at the same time or not. Like maybe Link was on fire at the same time and I didn't notice but sometimes I could get up and quickly restock and sometimes that quarter heart was taken away while lying on the ground and blinking red from low health. The worst part was that there was the cutscene I couldn't skip before the battle so I had to go through that like 8 or 9 times. Tried to save in battle to maybe save scum through the boss and skip the cutscene but wasn't allowed. Anyways, it's done although I'm not sure I really learned any lesson from it for future combat.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 07, 2017, 08:26:02 PM »
Alright so I just discovered that Guardians respawn after a few days like all the other enemies.  I literally happened right after I killed one that I walked a little ways and boom, the Blood Moon happened and there it was again.

I kind of wish I would have known that earlier since I've lost a lot of good weapons so far fighting them.  I thought since they were a special kind of enemy they would stay dead for good but nope, they respawn as well.  So yeah, anyone that's still early in the game like I am, don't waste your best weapons on Guardians since they'll just come back anyway and aren't worth the lose of strong weapons that are better used on other enemies.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 07, 2017, 08:33:34 PM »
Oh, so that's what the Blood Moon does. I didn't understand what the big deal about it was. I thought that maybe it was just making enemies tougher during that time or adding some extra enemies to the map but it restores them all back again. Ah. Makes sense now that I think about the cutscene that plays when it happens. Too bad. I could of wish enemies would stay down to seem like you are making progress in the game to remove all evil from the land instead of having to worry about refighting some of these enemies in the same spots. Might as well just avoid fighting enemies then since it's almost a waste of time aside from treasures you might collect from them.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 07, 2017, 08:39:15 PM »

I don't know. I keep staying pretty good in inventory. I'll get arrows from some of the defeated enemies and from various chests that I've opened in my search across the land. One thing that impresses me is arrows that miss a target can be picked up again and reused. It's kind of a smart thing that could happen in real life too. So, sometimes after an encounter with a few misses I can collect back some of those arrows. I don't really do a lot of hunting. For the most part, I haven't needed to cook much or carry many dishes with me unless I've had a long slog of a battle and used up a bit of food and want to make sure I've got some more backup. Catching fairies makes things a bit easier as well which I've now discovered. So, mostly my arrows are saved for battle and picking off the watchman enemies. I'm generally in the 30-50 range. Trick arrows I run out of a lot but regular arrows have been easy enough to come by in my travels that I haven't had to give them much thought.