Author Topic: Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/Wii U)  (Read 359601 times)

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U/NX) @ E3 2016
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2016, 05:31:17 PM »
I think folks are getting a little too het up about the Zelda continuity. Whatever reason Link was in stasis will be explained in-game, and I really really doubt they'll openly get into the split timeline hijinx. I sincerely doubt Nintendo really gives much of a **** about the meta-continuity of the series, nor should they. The Kokiri-evolved plant people show up, that implies this is after Wind Waker. We might get something on the level of the ruins of Kokiri village in WW, but that would be about the maximum reference I think there'll be in a game that isn't a direct sequel like Phantom Hourglass or Majora's Mask.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2016, 09:48:30 PM »
I really dont think the time like matters. The games are very loosely tied together.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2016, 10:41:19 PM »
The Zelda timeline doesn't matter to me because it's obvious that Nintendo didn't plan one, and by the time it bothered to put the games in a continuity, Zelda's canon was just a jumbled mess. The plots of Zelda games have never been that engaging either (or don't make sense like Skyward Sword) so I'm fine with ignoring them.

My hope for Breath of the Wild (based on the bits of Treehouse Live I've seen) is that it's a soft-reboot of the series. So everything that happened happened, but through some plot device, it's essentially starting over (similar to Star Trek or X-Men: Days of Future Past). Maybe the plot involves converging the timelines into one then moving forward, Nintendo just follows this continuity and it actually maps out a coherent storyline from here on out.

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2016, 11:00:05 PM »
The reason to think it's Link from a previous game is that they've said he's been asleep for 100 years prior to waking up in the beginning of Breath of the Wild. That's not any sort of confirmation (maybe it's a new Link and he was put to sleep because something or someone would prevent him from saving Hyrule in the past, among a number of other possibilities), but that bit of information does make it sound like it could very well be a Link that we're already familiar with.

Heh, sometimes I feel like this 100 years is a running joke in the Zelda series.  100 years... and became legend.  100 years is not a long time...

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2016, 11:06:19 PM »
The Zelda timeline doesn't matter to me because it's obvious that Nintendo didn't plan one, and by the time it bothered to put the games in a continuity, Zelda's canon was just a jumbled mess. The plots of Zelda games have never been that engaging either (or don't make sense like Skyward Sword) so I'm fine with ignoring them.

My hope for Breath of the Wild (based on the bits of Treehouse Live I've seen) is that it's a soft-reboot of the series. So everything that happened happened, but through some plot device, it's essentially starting over (similar to Star Trek or X-Men: Days of Future Past). Maybe the plot involves converging the timelines into one then moving forward, Nintendo just follows this continuity and it actually maps out a coherent storyline from here on out.

I doubt they'll bother with the "reboot with explanation", when like you and others have noted, they don't really care about making things work perfectly, because the timeline is a mess and the loose coupling is good enough.  So they might come up with a new story, that "reboots" things, but I wouldn't expect them to tie it back into the existing timeline(s).

At least that's what I would do if I was in their shoes.  I think the fans would be fine with it too if you just told them "hey, this has no connections to past stories" (or maybe I'm wrong and imagination is dead ;) )

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2016, 12:29:05 AM »
Not sure if it was talked about in Treehouse live but has there been any mention made as to the significance of the Master Sword looking beat-up and rusty in the logo and end of trailer?

Yeah! The master sword looked like trash. I think Ganon has been gone a long time.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2016, 05:06:01 AM »
speaking of. Here is some concept art from A link to the past

here is a screenshot from the new game

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2016, 08:38:19 AM »
I doubt they'll bother with the "reboot with explanation", when like you and others have noted, they don't really care about making things work perfectly, because the timeline is a mess and the loose coupling is good enough.  So they might come up with a new story, that "reboots" things, but I wouldn't expect them to tie it back into the existing timeline(s).
The fact that Nintendo even bothered to retroactively install a timeline is the entire reason I think it'll try to explain a reboot (if that comes to pass). Nintendo didn't do a good job of creating the timeline, and it may not do a good job of explaining a reboot, but I think it'll try.
At least that's what I would do if I was in their shoes.  I think the fans would be fine with it too if you just told them "hey, this has no connections to past stories" (or maybe I'm wrong and imagination is dead ;) )
Depends on the fan. Demand of a timeline was so great that Nintendo finally relented. No timeline or "same legend retold" theory were easier explanations, but fans insisted on an actual timeline so here we are.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2016, 03:29:29 PM »
Well if you go by the pedestal than this would be after a link to the past and after twilight princess.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2016, 03:33:55 PM »
This looks amazing.  I was initially skeptical when I heard about the new mechanics and features.

Then I saw the trailer.  Then I saw it again.  And again. 

I'm in.  I AM IN!

I just wish they didn't go cell shaded again.  I much prefer the look of TP but that's just me.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2016, 10:40:46 PM »
The fact that Nintendo even bothered to retroactively install a timeline is the entire reason I think it'll try to explain a reboot (if that comes to pass). Nintendo didn't do a good job of creating the timeline, and it may not do a good job of explaining a reboot, but I think it'll try.
Depends on the fan. Demand of a timeline was so great that Nintendo finally relented. No timeline or "same legend retold" theory were easier explanations, but fans insisted on an actual timeline so here we are.

Good point.  They may still try, although it would almost be impossible to do a good job given the state of things.  Especially to those fans that were demanding a timeline.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2016, 11:41:14 PM »
This looks amazing.  I was initially skeptical when I heard about the new mechanics and features.

Then I saw the trailer.  Then I saw it again.  And again. 

I'm in.  I AM IN!

I just wish they didn't go cell shaded again.  I much prefer the look of TP but that's just me.

I think the cel shaded style made Wind Waker's art style remain beautiful to this day, and I think with BotW's cel shaded style, this will do the same for that game. :)
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2016, 12:09:54 AM »
IGN named Breath of the Wild as their pick for Game of the Show for E3 2016, nice!

http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/06/17/igns-e3-2016-game-of-the-show-winner-is-
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2016, 02:28:39 AM »
Having watched more footage and .gifs and read more impressions, it's making more and more sense that Nintendo hinged the entire show on this game. It really does look like the first time a developer has married an expansive open world with an ahem Zelda-like level of tactility and interaction. I'm nonplussed about item degradation, and while I generally dislike physics-based puzzles in games, I really, really like everything I'm seeing here. Seems like an ideal marriage of environmental control and challenge design. Like the feeling of cutting up signs and finding little interactive secrets in Ocarina of Time x100. Who knows how accurate it is, but I read something that stated that most puzzles can be solved in multiple ways, hopefully an extreme 3D extension of the flexibility on display in parts of Link Between Worlds. I have no been as excited about a game in years.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2016, 06:07:41 PM »
Wouldn't it be interesting if this were a sequel to Ocarina of Time/Wind Waker? Remember the opening of WW stated that the Hero of Time never returned again to save the land. What if Adult Link got locked in the Temple of Time to return "when needed" but he was never called because the person with the key/song/MacGuffin to call him died or lost the item to call him, dooming the land to destruction.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2016, 10:43:29 PM »
Wouldn't it be interesting if this were a sequel to Ocarina of Time/Wind Waker? Remember the opening of WW stated that the Hero of Time never returned again to save the land. What if Adult Link got locked in the Temple of Time to return "when needed" but he was never called because the person with the key/song/MacGuffin to call him died or lost the item to call him, dooming the land to destruction.

Sounds like another fork of the timeline. ;)

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 18, 2016, 09:56:56 PM »
What's interesting is that there are Koroks in this game as well as a few other things that were in other time lines. It was all bs to begin with when they created the time line but since TP it seems Nintendo has been trying to keep up with the BS one way or another. This Zelda could be part of that hero fails jibberish and pitentially make all time lines come together and fix it. You know kind of like DC and that Infinity Crises or what ever the devil that was some time ago.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2016, 11:02:08 AM »
Digital Foundry analysed the Zelda footage.

- 720p/30fps.
- The game experiences drops, most notably during combat and when spreading fire, but it picks up quickly.
- Impressive visuals for the tech its using. Not really comparable to PS4/XB1 but still performs better than PS360 open-world games.
- Nintendo is known for locking its tech early in development, so who know how much performance will improve.
- Also things could be better for the NX version. -insert RFN NX alarm here-

« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 12:21:26 PM by Soren »
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2016, 12:00:30 PM »
Ocarina of Time runs at 20FPS max, so this is an improvement:/

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2016, 08:26:28 PM »
Wow, Kotaku is making the Wii U homebrew/piracy scene go mainstream.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2016, 02:56:20 AM »
Thats an interesting video. It makes me even more curious about the NX version, especially after those 4K screenshots

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2016, 10:36:20 PM »
I wonder how intentional it is that some of those areas look more out of Metroid than Zelda?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2016, 10:41:30 PM »
Game looks absolutely amazing...don't know if I mentioned that. Might end up getting it on both consoles.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2016, 04:18:38 AM »
Might end up getting it on both consoles.

Me too. The Wii U version will probably somewhat of a collector's item, like TP for Gamecube