Author Topic: Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/Wii U)  (Read 362424 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/Wii U) Out now!
« Reply #1200 on: February 03, 2018, 10:57:15 AM »
You think that's crazy with Guardians, there is a place that's worse ;) I just had to run.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: February 03, 2018, 12:04:34 PM »
You think that's crazy with Guardians, there is a place that's worse ;) I just had to run.
I found ā€œthat placeā€ to be a lot more fun and less stressful, mostly because there are a lot more vertical levels to play with. The labyrinth is a bit less aggressive, and can be broken more easily because of it.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: February 03, 2018, 12:39:35 PM »
Quick update.

I took on the Blue Lynel at the end of bridge outside Kakariko and before Mount lanyaru
he was kicking my ass, but with several helpings of extra hearts and an attack booster, he was handled in a timely manner. I still need 1 more Lynel horn to upgrade a new helmet, but the Blood Moon just rose, so I'll head back over to Zora land where the red Lynel was a much easier kill :)
-The Hinox in this lil area, I actually managed to kill before it even saw who killed it. He had just made it to his feet and he was already dead. lol

But I also just ran up Mt. Lanyaru, the cold place.... and came to a revelation after using several cold beating meals.... if I just pull out my Flameblade, it keeps me warm... it also kills the Frozen Lizalfos with ease, but even if I don't use it to fight, I can run around the ice mountian w/o a time limit on my warmth.

p.s. Another Dragon!!
I was shocked when I saw the 1st one. surprised when I saw a second, and I was excited to have ran up on a 3rd... and able to get so close, until I realized why. took care of that quickly, and then was forced to give up the scale, but atleast I got another shrine.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: February 03, 2018, 01:12:52 PM »
Keep in mind there are some points where a flame blade won't prevent you from the cold.

Also, major bro-tip: if you want to avoid a Blood Moon, just warp to a shrine as soon as you notice the signs, go inside for a few mins (so it's after midnight when you exit) and you'll skip it. Although, I'm pretty sure this will trigger it again the next night, but you can keep doing it if you're on a big sidequest or something and are tired of fighting.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: February 03, 2018, 02:04:35 PM »
Well, I had on my warm tunic, and with the flameblade on my back, I was good to go for that mountain.

and Pro-Tip on fighting these Lynels (Yes, I feel confident taking them on now).
- Always start with the element of surprise - glide in with 2-3x arrow to the face to make him kneel. make sure you have plenty of stamina to ride him while slashing with your strongest weapon.

- Time Lock+ equipped. he's coming at you and you don't have time to dodge, or your last arrow to the face assault didn't make him kneel... time lock him up. get behind him and slash away. Since he's not facing you, this will buy you time to regroup your next attack or prepare for his next assault.

- Don't fear the flame breath. Just prevent it from hitting you (stand behind a tree) then ride the updraft.... see point #1 - 2-3x arrow to face

- try to stay close enough to prevent the Lynel from pulling out their bow and arrow. You can dodge the skyfall arrows if you keep moving, but the electric ones tend to have a radius where they can hit you even if they didn't touch you.

I'm gonna make my way back to that Black Lynel. I think I'm ready for him now.

p.s. Time Lock+ is also very useful in a field of "dead" guardians to identify which ones are just dormant. This did not become apparent to me until I went back in the Prison Maze basement to practice assassin mode against guardians... (this was a stupid idea BTW. I did kill one, but there was no path to singling out the 3 other immobile guardians without the other 2 putting lasers in your face).

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: February 03, 2018, 02:46:41 PM »
Get the Ancient Armor and upgrade the **** out of it. You're basically unstoppable at 54 with that set.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: February 03, 2018, 03:59:35 PM »
Get the Ancient Armor and upgrade the **** out of it. You're basically unstoppable at 54 with that set.

I just purchased and upgraded the Stealth suit. Ancient Armor was my next target, but that's $6k Rupees.... :/ 10x more rupees than I have right now now.

Most recently I was just trying to unlock memories, and went to the painting gut at Goron City. He led me to Woodland Stable, to which I basically recreated the pic, but there was no "memory marker".... what am I doing wrong? I looked over the entire area, and even matched landmarks in the pic to where I was looking.

The 1st time I teleported, no markers... so I teleported back to Goron City, and glided back to the same spot.... still no marker for the memory location. WTF!?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: February 03, 2018, 04:23:17 PM »
What is the name of the quest?

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: February 03, 2018, 05:47:57 PM »
You sure you donā€™t already have it?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: February 03, 2018, 05:51:23 PM »
The memory "near" Woodland stable was the hardest for me to find. I had to look at a guide.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: February 03, 2018, 05:59:09 PM »
I've found that sometimes you have to walk slowly around the area where a memory is and the light zone will then begin to materialize at some point as you face the direction the game wants you to face.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: February 03, 2018, 07:45:17 PM »
Oooops...... I wandered into the casle in the middle of the map, started exploring, found all sorts of nice weapons and shields then I made it to the top of the castle through careful "chamelon" mask switching and guardian avoidance, and then I knew I should have saved it before I wandered into what looked like the main throne room... and then I accidentally beat the game. I totally thought I was screwed and unprepared, only having 13 hearts, 6 Hearty meals prepared, 2 Divine Beast.... I wasn't looking for a big fight.

LMAO. My bad. :(
let the credits roll......

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: February 04, 2018, 11:53:53 AM »
hahaha

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1213 on: February 04, 2018, 11:58:34 AM »
Oh noes! The game autosaves pretty frequently.  I actually did this myself, but loaded an autosave which had occurred right before I walked in.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: February 04, 2018, 01:22:02 PM »
Just got back into this as well, I had stopped about 30 hours in, right before the first "dungeon".
In my case, that was Divine Beast Ruta Vah, the elephant in the Zora lake. Mannnnn what a rush! Just the approach already got my heart racing, with riding waterfalls up, shooting lightning arrows I'd gotten after an intense fight with my first Lynel.
At first I didn't realise you could use cryosis to unfreeze the blocks it shot at me, so I tried poking them out of the air with a lance.
Loved the dungeon by the way, it was shorter than usual Zelda dungeons which have never been my favourite aspect of the series. Some puzzles truly made me feel clever; adjusting the trunk to put out the fire and stuff.

BlackNMild -- I also just got to that maze you and your daughter did! I outran the first guardian though, he gave me too much trouble. Had almost the exact same frantic Mission Impossible style escape after nabbing the diamond thing in the chest, with like 3 lasers pointed right at me lol. This game is such a rush.

For those who might remember, I'm still playing this game as Park Ranger Link, hellbent on preserving the natural environment whilst ridding it of those intent on polluting it with malice. I've accidentally killed a wolf however; I was hoping to scare the pack away with a bomb, but one got caught up in the blast.

I'm also restricting myself a bit more by no longer cutting trees; lightning storms seem to happen frequently enough that I'll be able to gather wood from fallen trees. Additionally, I'm trying not to leave natural habitats entirely desolate. So if there's a bunch of acorns and a squirrel is nearby, I must leave at least one or two for the squirrel to fall back on. Similarly with roots/mushrooms/truffles and warthogs; they gotta have some left to eat, so I don't allow myself to take everything in a single environment - it's more engaging and fun for me this way, to imagine Link as shepherd of lil' ecosystems.

When I do find things like roasted bass left by enemies or from the Hinox near the Zora domain, I sell those to food establishments, where there's the biggest chance someone will come to buy those. That way the animals death wasn't utterly in vain, but Park Ranger Link also doesn't have to violate his oath of vegetarianism haha. Breath of the Wild is so cool you guys.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: February 04, 2018, 01:32:20 PM »
Luckily it does save literally just before you walk through that door, but honestly.... I feel that was too easy.

If it wasn't for Daruks protection though, I wouldn't have been able to pull it off. Daruks protection is what got the 2nd calamity to drop it's shield once it was down to 25%, abs Daruks protection is what reflected that last 2 lasers at Ganon himself. (I'd go into more detail if I wasn't typing on my phone...)

But we jumped right back in fully committed to exploring the rest of the map.
My daughter was actually super excited just now because she just found her 1st memory all on her own. I carried her to the left side of the map and set her free, she's been playing by herself since last night, so I have no idea what she has accomplished on her own since then.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 04:30:14 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: February 04, 2018, 01:47:42 PM »
As I've stated in a number of places, each step towards making Link more powerful is a simultaneous lowering of the impact and difficulty of the final boss(es). Its a strange dichotomy, since the player is encouraged to explore and complete certain story segments, when the final boss is immensely more enjoyable if you haven't completed said segments. But it also makes repeat plays extremely enjoyable, as the player can impose certain limitations to challenge themselves further.

Something I also strongly believe that Mark Brown of GMK summed up perfectly is that the game is an experiment in the organic development of courage, which is rather apt for its player avatar. If players wish to challenge the limitations of their courage, they can turn off the Champion's Abilities and face Ganon, or head straight to Hyrule Castle without reclaiming any of the Divine Beasts. They can trust their confidence in their ability to cook, and craft dishes and elixirs that will give them benefits that can defeat the bosses. They can fight a higher-level Lynel with a mop.

The problem, and brilliance of Breath of the Wild, is that people want to play it like a Zelda game, when it is meant to be played as your game. You can make Link's journey as easy or as difficult as you want it to be, the systems of the game allow this.

Also, if you think any of the enemies in the game are too easy, play Master Mode.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: February 04, 2018, 02:03:09 PM »
I'm 135+ hours in...still haven't beaten Trial of the Sword (1/3 steps done). According to the game I'm 33% done (I'll never get to 100% since that means 900 Korok seeds) - 34/42 Shrine Quests, 65/90 Side Quests, all the memories (including DLC), 95/120 Shrines.

I guess it's cute the way you're playing being a conservationist...but you know everything regrows after a blood moon right?

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: February 04, 2018, 04:32:21 PM »
BranDonk, my man, you do know the Korok Mask allows you to locate seeds with much greater efficiency, right?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: February 04, 2018, 09:44:22 PM »
Yeah, I've only just started using it within the past couple weeks. Pro: it finds Korok seeds. Con: defense = 1, armor set bonus goes away...so I have a bad habit of taking it off, or forgetting I have it on and getting my ass handed to me. I've found about 100 in the past week or so though.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: February 04, 2018, 11:04:19 PM »
where does one find this Korok mask?

...it's for a friend.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: February 04, 2018, 11:10:31 PM »
It's part of the Master Trials DLC. If you have that, it practically tells you where to find it. Magnesis is your BFF for all of that stuff. It's in the Lost Woods though...if that helps.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1222 on: February 05, 2018, 06:36:05 PM »
Once you buy the DLC, a bunch of side quests starting with "EX" pop up.  One of them has the Korok Mask.  There's another that I wish existed on my first play through, that I think would be super helpful as you're playing through.

Any way, I finally got the last shrines.  I admitted used a guide to find the last one.  It was tucked away in an area I had already explored, so it was kind of in a blind spot for me.  I've really been liking going around and exploring places I hadn't covered.  The Master Cycle Zero makes covering the land fast and fun.  Though one thing I did notice: you can not drive it on sand; the game literally stops you.  I've fought so many Lynels I didn't know existed until now. I even found a good place to farm items from Dinraal.  He comes there right after 5am, which is super convenient.

Now gotta find some better spots for the other two.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: February 05, 2018, 08:34:58 PM »
I've fought so many Lynels I didn't know existed until now. I even found a good place to farm items from Dinraal.  He comes there right after 5am, which is super convenient.

Now gotta find some better spots for the other two.
I found the Teleportation Stone to be a pretty fabulous addition, albeit somewhat superfluous for an endgame player. It's best utilized for grinding, as I'm assuming you hinted towards, and I would recommend the stretch of water in between Mount Lanayru and Zora's Domain for Naydra, as she makes her way through there around midnight and its relatively easy to swoop in and snatch her drops. Farosh is an easy catch close by either The Bridge of Hylia, which she swoops underneath, or the Floria Bridge, specifically if you set yourself up at Floria Falls.

I'll also mention that the stretch of water between Mount Lanayru and Zora's Domain is a pretty fabulous spot for grinding shooting stars, as there's relatively little foliage or topography to get in the way, and I found they spawned rather consistently. There's also a spot between Hebra and Korok Forest that gives consistent drops, too.

ļ»æ

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: February 06, 2018, 02:34:09 AM »
Have jumped back into this game. I finally got the DLC. I wanted the Hero's Journey for my map to better help me locate Korok seeds along with the Korok mask in order to speed up my progress and complete this game. Unfortunately, I don't the Korok mask doesn't have a long range so I still have to cover a lot of ground but at least I'm not trying to triple check everything and make sure I didn't miss something. If I enter a small area of trees and walk through the center of it from one side to the other and the mask doesn't shake then I don't have to worry about checking over all the trees from different angles. So, it helps in that regard but the Hero's Journey option on the map has been a big help already. I uploaded a quick little video showing what my map looked like this morning. You can see what trying to find Korok seeds without the Korok Mask and Hero's Journey option looks like which is a lot of finely covered ground.

However I've made more progress since this video. I've gone from 680 Korok Seeds to 711. Just 189 left to go! I've discovered a few more shrines and decided to just play through a few I'd found on my map before but had just left untouched for future playing. My completed shrines are now at 106 and I've got 4 more still unplayed on my map with a good idea as to where 6 others are at but haven't got to yet to add them on the map. I'm curious as to where the remaining 4 may be.

I've spent some time hunting for the DLC items. I've gotten most of the items but there are about 3 that are hidden somewhere in the Hyrule Field area which is a zone I've still left mostly untouched and didn't feel like spoiling it all now finding them. As much as I like the look of a lot of the DLC items, I'm disappointed they are all static stats and can not be upgraded. Thus, there's no urgency to find those last items yet. I'm pretty sure I've just got two peices of the Tingle outfit to acquire and one piece of the Phantom Guard outfit to acquire. I've got the Trail of the Sword to do and found two of the last three regular side quests in the game. That just leaves one final side quest for me to find and I'll have found all the Side Quests and then just have to complete them. I'm just hoping that I'm still working my way to finding this person with the last quest and I didn't miss someone from earlier in the journey but sitting at 85/90 on those.

As for Shrine Quests, I've got 4 of those to discover and do meaning I'm at 38/42 done there. I finally went and completed Vah Rudania. Since I know there will be the Champion's Ballad quest to do, I wasn't worried about saving that last beast anymore and I wanted to finally get the Dark Link armor. (Once again, disappointed in the lack of upgrade availability for the costume.) Doing that also unlocked the beginning of the Champion's Ballad if I want to go to the Shrine of Resurrection and start it but not yet. I did the maze in North Akkala since BnM kind of spoiled it on me. ;) I didn't expect him to start doing things I hadn't gotten around to yet so quickly! That gave me one of the Barbarian outfit pieces I've been looking for. Now I'm wondering if that third maze has the last piece I need. At this point, I only need the Barbarian Pants and the Rubber Suit Body to complete the regular game clothing plus the set that comes from completing all shrines.

Because I was in the North Akkala region, I picked up a bunch of Ancient Arrows as that is my preferred method of dealing with Guardians. And with that maze and where I wandered, I ended up taking down quite a few Guardians and along with treasure chests in the shrines I played, I finally got enough ancient cores to finish fully upgrading my Ancient Armor. At this point, the only clothing I have left to upgrade is the two pieces I still need to find along with the final uniform and the FireBreaker Pants for playing hot places like Death Mountain. I just need 5 more Smotherwing Butterflies for them.

When I finally shut down the game today, I was at something like 80.29% complete. I'm nearing that 100% completion goal and I'm getting close to the end of having collected everything and explored all of Hyrule. The endgame is now in sight. I'm looking forward to the Trial of the Sword and Champion's Ballad (and just noticed there are new memories to be discovered from it. Am curious as to what they will be like.) According to my Wii U log, I've put in 290 hours exploring around but I know at least 30 of those are times where I just left the game in pause mode while I went out to get something to eat or took a break for a little bit and did something else. I just didn't want to shut the system down and then have to boot everything back up so I left it running like that. And I still find myself just staring around at the landscape from a new high vantage point. It's just a lovely game to look at and I like to keep taking in that view.

Also fought a couple Silver Lynels in the Hebra region. Man, that was a bit of a pain as my timing is all off having not touched this since early September. So much food needed for recovery from blows and getting knocked around. The second fight was a little better because I managed to get a couple flurry rushes in but I need to shake the rust off my moves and make things easy on myself again. Also, I was having trouble locating some of the DLC chests despite being in the correct areas. I don't know if they took awhile to load in some areas or if I just kept looking around at the wrong angles and missed them so I remembered that treasure chests were in the compendium and selected my Shrine Sensor to look for Treasure Chests instead and that helped me locate the DLC chests much easier. In addition to covering the land for Korok seeds, I've discovered a lot of chests and plundered them. There are times where I'm moving through sections I've been through and the sensor is silent because I've discovered all the chests there. Of course, in new areas, the thing is beeping a lot but with that going and my Korok mask on, I'm looting and plundering Hyrule at a much more efficient and faster pace than before so my scorched earth policy of uprooting all Hyrule's treasures for my own is nearly unstoppable now. Time is my only enemy now.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.