Author Topic: The Nintendo World Report 3D Mario Rankings  (Read 2370 times)

Offline John Rairdin

• Director
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
The Nintendo World Report 3D Mario Rankings
« on: June 06, 2016, 03:00:38 AM »

Just how far down the list is Sunshine?

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/video/42799/the-nintendo-world-report-3d-mario-rankings

For the last few weeks, we've been polling the site staff and Patrons to determine our definitive rankings of the 3D Mario titles. All the votes have been tallied, and Nintendo World Report TV has the results. Check it out below!

Want a say in future videos? Head on over to patreon.com/NWR/and find out how!

Offline KisakiProject

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
Re: The Nintendo World Report 3D Mario Rankings
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 12:34:27 PM »
Flip Sunshine & 3Dworld and I agree 100%.

Offline NES_RPG_NERD

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 01:21:20 PM »
How about a transcript for people who hate having to watch videos and/or can read faster than most people speak?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 01:34:18 PM »
Flip 64 and Galaxy 1.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 07:57:05 PM »
Nice video, but 3D World is easily my number 1

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 01:11:27 PM »
My list is similar to this list, the main thing I disagree with is that I didn't have too much issue with Super Mario 64 DS. It of course doesn't control as well as the original, but it was okay enough and I like the new characters.

My list would be:

1. Super Mario 64 / DS
2. Super Mario Galaxy
3. Super Mario Galaxy 2
---------
4. Super Mario 3D World
5. Super Mario 3D Land
---------
6. Super Mario Sunshine

Offline Darth Asterix

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 06:30:02 PM »

My problem with that video is that you say Mario 64 is the "best" 3D Mario, but defend that with why it was transformative and impactful. Those are reasons for it to be the most important 3D Mario, but not the best. I mean, maybe for you it was still the best, and that's fine, but I don't like the reasoning you use there.

My list of "best" would be:
1. Galaxy 1
The only 3D Mario I could play forever and never stop. Hell, I could spend an hour just running/jumping/flying around Rosalina's ship listening to the music.

2a. 3D World
Finally, a Mario game with multiple levels that I can dump dozens of lives into and yet still be determined to go back and do it right.

2b. Galaxy 2
The reversion from a hub world to a flat, boring 2D map = bad, but they also added Yoshi, and once you're in the levels it was good times, so...

4. Mario 64
Yes, the jump to 3D was massive, but looking back at it now, it's really not that difficult of a game; playing it now, nearly all my deaths are from fighting with the camera. I do give it the award for best final Bowser boss fight, though.

5. 3D Land
I have this game, I 100%ed this game, and yet the only thing I can remember about it is the one level where you use the 3D to jump nearly vertically down a waterfall. I think. Maybe it was clouds? That's my problem though; this game is utterly unmemorable to me.

9. Sunshine
Yes, 9. I rank three 3 slots of nothing ahead of this game. The camera was horrible, the movement controls are stiff, and while as mentioned I LOVE me some 3D hub worlds, this one was just unnecessarily convoluted - there's a big difference between "I have to get from A to B and it'll take a while (see: Banjo-Kazooie)" and "I seriously have no idea where the bleep I'm supposed to go". Give me this game with Galaxy's controls and camera system, and then we can talk.