Author Topic: The Next Generation of Consoles - What should Nintendo do?  (Read 7142 times)

Offline 007

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
The Next Generation of Consoles - What should Nintendo do?
« on: July 17, 2003, 03:27:45 AM »
THE NEXT NINTENDO CONSOLE

A Name: I think NES5 is good name but Nexus is also good, GameCube 2 is OK

Backward Compatability: This is a must, having Gamecube games at launch will increase their game library by alot and also you could sell your Gamecube and Buy the NES5 (working title)

GB Player: I think this is a good idea, GB & GBA Games would increasse the library very much, and people will buy the console to because it has so many games.

A Harddrive: This is a must, it will sell systems and gives you plenty of space for save games. Also have Memory Cards so you can visit friend's houses and show them your save files on their system.

DVD Compatability: I dont think this is a good idea, it will push the price up to much and people buy the console for the games not for movies, anyway most people will have atleast 1 DVD Player by 2005/6.

Games: Must launch with good games, 2 or 3 Nintendo titles eg: Mario, Zelda & Metroid (not to many or 2nd and 3rd parties will not sell well enough and will leave Nintendo) also maybe something new that will sell systems, something like Halo. Nintendo needs games that will fit anyones taste, Shoot-Em-Ups, Adventure, Role Play, Sports etc. Rockstar's contract with Sony ends 2004, maybe buy it (Rockstar make Grand Theft Auto). Also contract a sports game publisher/developer eg: EA Sports or SEGA Sports.

A new Handheld: A new handheld launch same time as the console to go head tto head with Sony PSP (Play Station Portable).

More Mature Games: Nintendo have outsold PS2 in Japan but not anywhere else. They need more mature games to boost sales in other countries. Rockstar Games (reffered to earlier) is a good example.

Online Playability: I think this is a good idea, some decent online games are a must eg: Mario Kart Online, Mario Party Online a few decent Shoot-Em-Ups, also Sports Games, Beat-Em-Upsand a racing game or 2.

Controllers: Have a selection of Pads eg: Standard Pads, Wavebirds and a Hori Pad (for GB Player and Beat-Em-Ups) all in a good range of colors.

The System: Good Specs, (I'm not a tech genius but i do know a good console) A range of colors (Purple cannot be the main color) I think it should be available in: Jet Black, Red, Clear Blue, Clear Orange, Clear Green and in the old NES Color Style

Got any Ideas??? Please feel free to tell us!!!
aLaN

Offline Chode2234

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2003, 09:10:00 AM »
I was just thinking:

Since Nintendo wants, or seems to want, to make gaming machines only; while the other guys want to make home entertainemt solutions packed with lots of "stuff" (dvd etc).  Nintendo should counter this with its own "stuff" instead of a multi-fucntion home system, it should be a multi-platform home system.  Market the darn thing as a games solution.  Plays GBA, GBA2 (if its out), GCN and "N5" games too.  Instead of doing lots of different things, make it able to play lots of different games.

This way it wouldn't be seen as an inferior product because it doesn't have bells and whistles, it would seem more valuable for what it is, a game machine.

The reason DVD is wanted is because it provides an increased percieved value, an alternative it to provide percieved value through the ability to play almost any kind of game.  What do you guys think?

p.s. I also think it would be great if Nintendo released demo video disks on DVD designed to be played on the competitors systems.  Put them in video game mags.
Wii:  0279 2707 3253 3306

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2003, 09:26:03 AM »
its rather arrogant to say what Nintendo should do...however back in the day we used to say what Nintendo could do and that takes out the arrogance.

heres what i think they could do

make the tokyo studio have a flavor that is different the miyamoto

realese with a dvd player so the mainstream will except it(though actually i think the mainstream has come to beleive using a system as a dvd player...breaks the lazer now thanks to ps2

make the system look like its a cool new machine rather then a purple box.....

a hardrive like earlier is a must. Giving editability tro games, and also allowing for levels to be more dynamic...which could really be cool in the next generation
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Chode2234

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2003, 10:21:22 AM »
You're right I could be a little more cautious about my wording about what nintendo could do to counter market presures and trends.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2003, 10:45:55 AM »
This is one of the most reasonable threads like this that I've seen yet.  While I disagree with more mature Nintendo games (maybe slightly, but mainly they should up their 3rd party support, which they're already doing), and they should be careful about online, most of those suggestions are pretty good.  They're actually really basic ideas, but one of the best combinations as of yet, in my opinion.

Chode's idea is also pretty good, but whatever.  I'll just buy the next system whether anyone else does or not.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Chode2234

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2003, 11:20:55 AM »
Following up on that, one thing they could do, which to some extent they are, is give 2nd parties and encourage 3rd parties to fill the gaps in demographic that isnt filled by your typical Nintendo game.  SK comes to mind, factor 5, etc.  The only problem is that Nintendo would need to push these games more.  Let people know how good these games are.

I remember the turning point for me with N64, watching that goldeneye comercial with the site zooming in on the guy and dropping him like a bad habit, I was wowed into dropping the money for the 64.  Those types of comercials were everywhere back then showing off a variety of games, and to some extent they are comming back.  The madden 04 and RL : III comercials.  Just show me more gameplay footage instead of people with veins comming out of their neck etc.  

Nintendo could have a very successful marketing campaign if they would let the games sell themselves.  Seeing them on TV its almost as if they are trying to hard.  It screams despiration more than cool.  If only the "clean is better than dirty" campaign would have never happend....

In summary, there are good third party games to fill the gaps, we need more of them, but what is really lacking is awareness of them and how good they are.  

Offline evilnate

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2003, 11:34:44 AM »

Originally posted by: Chode2234
I was just thinking:

Since Nintendo wants, or seems to want, to make gaming machines only; while the other guys want to make home entertainemt solutions packed with lots of "stuff" (dvd etc).  Nintendo should counter this with its own "stuff" instead of a multi-fucntion home system, it should be a multi-platform home system.  Market the darn thing as a games solution.  Plays GBA, GBA2 (if its out), GCN and "N5" games too.  Instead of doing lots of different things, make it able to play lots of different games.

I've been thinking about this since I got my GBP.  At this point my Cube is only second to my PC in the quanity and variety of games that it can play.  I can go from playing the original Tetris to Super Mario World to Golden Sun to Metroid Prime without messing with a bunch of cables or switch boxes.  Also, with the amount of SNES ports for the GBA, as well as NES games available through e-reader cards and GB games, I don't have to own a bunch of systems either.  When the next system comes out, I'd hope that there would be a built in GB slot, or there would be a new GBP available for the system, or the current one would be compatable.  Imagine a backwards compatable Gamecube 2 that could not only GC and GC2 games, but all the GBA and GB games out there.  Heck, if you want to get really fancy, if the next GB portable uses disc media, have it playable in the GC2's disc drive right out of the box.

I'm not planning on being an early adopter next generation (I waited over a year to replace my N64 with a Cube), but if something like I described above is available at launch, I'd have to take a long, hard look.

Offline Rich

• View Profile
RE: The Next Generation of Consoles - What should Nintendo do?
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2003, 11:42:56 AM »
I like most of chode's ideas but instead of a hard drive I would rather that nintendo packed a 1 gig SD card with the system. That way people would be able to put in pics of themselvs in a game(ie: your creating yourself in madden. you can upload a pic of your face and the game maps it onto the players head. also when your managing your team and your name gets highlighted it shows your pic and not the stupid madden symbol). it would also allow people to put in music in there games.  

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2003, 04:56:35 PM »
I think the most innovative  and new idea I've read in this thread is by Chode2234.

What a clever idea to counter Microsoft's and Sony's entertainment system with their own Mega-Gaming system. I mean...I think now DVD compatibility is like asking for a VCR in your console...who cares. A majority of homes already have a DVD player...I'm not sure adding one is anything special...(you've prob got the main DVD player hooked up the the biggest TV in the house any ways, and that's probably where you watch all your DVD's too. Having another DVD there won't change the fact that you'll switch to wathcing DVD's on a smaller TV).

But I don't think adding a built in GBA/GB port is good. I think that would drop the sales of the GBA, and that is something they shouldn't do. I'd like that feature a lot, but I'm not sure it would be better in the long run.

All the other suggestions are good too. I'm glad this is one of the threads that is keeping it realistic without throwing out outrageous ideas.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2003, 05:51:18 PM »
how bout a hardrive and sd card support...really sd cards are only good because their protable and you can transfer things from the computer...however...the type of gameplay im thinking of would require a hard drive.

Offline The Real Mario

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2003, 08:09:42 PM »
What I've seen is the way to a mainstream gamer's heart is through Madden.  That and hype is what basically sold the PS2 at launch.  So using this thinking, Nintendo should get Madden exclusive for two years.   This will surely bring the average gamer to Nintendo as everyone loves Madden.
Play or be played.

Mentos the Freshmaker

Offline Rich

• View Profile
RE: The Next Generation of Consoles - What should Nintendo do?
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2003, 09:21:40 PM »
yeah but if the put gigabyte sd card packaged with the N5 then they wont have a need for a hard. the 1 gig sd card should be enough to meet anyones requirments of saving space and its also portable. i have 2 memory card 259's and i fit all of my fourteen game saves and most of my rental saves. the 259's are what 8 megs together? if i could fit all my stuff onto 8 megs then imagine what anyone could do with a whole gig.

oh and about the suggested idea of getting madden exclusive. i think it would cost and absurd amount of money and think it would be worth it but, i dont think it will happen. if a deal is struck with EA it will be something like superior nice graphics, more plays, online play, more animations, and something like and extra mode. all that would be included into the N5 version but not the PS2 and Xbox versions.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2003, 10:32:33 PM »
a 1gb sd card is more expensive then an 8gb hardrive(like xbox had),and really you would never need more then 128 mb on a portable medium such as an sd card.

Offline Chode2234

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2003, 04:39:54 AM »
Plus a hard drive would be great so we can run Linux on it too.  Just Kidding.

Perhaps if the system had USB2 or firewire ports on it to be able to hook up storage periphirals, and the like.  It might be something to consider.  What do you guys think?

Also I don't think that the inclusion of a GBA player would truly hurt GBA sales.  If that were the case why would nintendo release the GBA player for the gamecube?  People want to get there 2d gaming fix on there home TV.  I love the gba player because it allows me to play so many more games at home.  People will still want the GBAs because they are portable, but having the option of playing this format at home is very attractive to many gamers.

I think it is also a necesity for them, if they are to remain focused on a "gaming only" machine to make it play more than 1 format.  I think that is one of gamecubes faults.  You cant seriously bill something as a gaming machine that can only play one type of game.  If it supported all/most of nintendos formats it could truly be THE gaming machine that people flock to.

Offline evilnate

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2003, 05:43:29 AM »

Originally posted by: Nintendo Gamecube
But I don't think adding a built in GBA/GB port is good. I think that would drop the sales of the GBA, and that is something they shouldn't do. I'd like that feature a lot, but I'm not sure it would be better in the long run.

I agree with Chode - having a GBP or a built in slot for GB games wouldn't hurt the handheld's sales.  In fact, it might be the opposite.  I didn't buy a GBA until I heard that they were coming out with the GBP.  Knowing that when I was at home I didn't have to squint at that tiny screen played a big part in my decision to finally buy a portable.

I like the ideas in this thread.  Microsoft and Sony seem to be focused on making "Entertainment Solutions" with TiVo capabilities, DVD players, Internet access and so on.  If Nintendo made (and marketed properly) a machine that could play not only the greatest games of today, but also of yesterday, that could appeal strongly to a more "mature" market of 20-30 year olds who are starting to wax nostalgic about the "good old days" but want to enjoy new games as well.  With the GBA hardware you can have NES and SNES games, and if they include next-gen GB support, probably N64 level games.  Include backwards compatablitly with GC games, and you'd have a machine that has the best of over 20 years of video games.  Even to a casual gamer who has memories of the NES, that would be a very appealing system.  Nintendo has a far longer legacy in games than either Microsoft or Sony and I think that they should capatalize on that.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2003, 03:44:19 PM »
the xbox hasnt really exploted its hardrive features beyond addons for splinter cell and regular saves for every other game. But with a hard drive you can have levels that change whenever you mess with them and it can allow for alot more interactivity in a game. Like earlier in another thread i figured it be really cool if you could destroy the invironment in such ways that it actually allows you to devlop your won strategy. Say you cant hold alot of items? Ten rip[ off the medicine cainet in a bathroom and use it to put stuff in and carry it around with you...carrying it maybe be a sytrain...but you would be able to put it down wherever you want...and pick it back up again.
Abnother thing you could do is chop down a door and tie it to a rope lay the door flat and drag the door with a rope you found. Imagine a game thta ets you solve puzzles in whatever way you want. Eve played a game where you had to look for the key to get through a door...screw that break the door down...although that could be problematic...monsters could get through that door or something. m thinking a resident evil style game where every puzzle was illogical and all the items you saw in the backround were uselss.

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2003, 04:37:13 PM »

p.s. I also think it would be great if Nintendo released demo video disks on DVD designed to be played on the competitors systems. Put them in video game mags.
Wouldn't Nintendo have to get permission from Sony or Microsoft in order to do this?  And I seriously doubt Sony or Microsoft would do that.  And if they didn't get permission from either company it would be illegal.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2003, 06:36:15 PM »
yeah that ones too far fetched

Offline The Real Mario

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2003, 08:38:11 PM »
I wouldnt say that Perm.  I think what was meant by that was putting promo videos in gaming magazines a la EGM and people would end up playing them on the DVD players on they're ps3/xbox2
Play or be played.

Mentos the Freshmaker

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2003, 10:19:22 PM »
If Nintendo want to be successful, they need a new advertising agency. That is all. Good games dont equal sales anymore, its all about image. Personally i hope Nintendo doesnt go for image, but makes a game so good that everyone wakes up and notices how good they really are.

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2003, 06:01:09 AM »
Nintendo can have it both ways to some extent. If attracting "mature" gamers is the image they want (IF IF  IF), they can put more effort into making more games like ED, Geist, and Metroid directly or through 2nd parties... all of which are, or will be, very high "Nintendo" quality. Right now those types of games are the exception to Nintendo's rule of making "universal appeal" games. If they release more mature titles with more consistency, making it PART of the rule, things can start to change.

For anyone that thinks Nintendo isn't marketing, that's not really true. Their ads can smother the viewer, they just don't happen to be marketing to YOU, because you're not watching the shows/channels that they're targeting. I mean, you won't see a Pokemon commercial during Buffy. They have a pretty hefty budget at present.

But Nintendo will always have some type of "image" issue while they still have Mario, DK, Pokemon, child Link, and so on. However, they'd be insane to forfeit this young market that they pretty much own. So the issue will never go away completely.
"wow."

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2003, 09:30:17 PM »
perhaps if they made the same number of e titles as m titles as t titles

Offline Chode2234

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2003, 05:46:39 AM »
I don't even think they need to create a 1:1 ratio of M and E games, just when they do make a great M, or even T game let the people know about it.  I think all people know about nintendo is mario and zelda, let them know there is more to Nintendo than that.  More adult orientated games are always welcomed, but nintendo should work on creating awareness for the ones they do have.

It will be a sad sad day if Nintendo pushes Too Human like it pushed Eternal Darkness.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2003, 07:29:14 AM »
"perhaps if they made the same number of e titles as m titles as t titles"

That alone would help a fair bit.  Sony releases several E rated games but they're not considered "kiddy" because they also release M and T rated titles.  They have a good balance and that's why the PS2 is popular with all demographics.  So far the way Nintendo releases a mature title it's like they're just throwing us a bone.  "That'll shut those whiners up."  So we get something like Conker's Bad Fur Day or Eternal Darkness and then Nintendo has this attitude like "that should be good enough" and we don't really get any more M rated games for a while.  The lack of consistency is what really hurts their image.  They do release mature titles but they don't do it enough and they market the their few mature games in such a way that it's as if they don't care if they sell well at all.  It's like it's just something to quiet down the complainers.  Actually they do that with pretty much any type of game that they don't normally make themselves.  There aren't many RPGs so they'll make like ONE and then act like everything's okay now because we have an RPG.  Or they'll get Sega to make ONE online game.  We want Square games so they'll get Square to make ONE game and I'll bet that will be it.  It's like if the fans want something and it's not something that Nintendo really wants to do they'll do the bare minimum to please us and assume that's enough.  That's a big problem with Nintendo right now.  The "kiddy" thing is only part of the issue.  The real issue is that Nintendo TELLS it's fans what they want instead of giving them what they want.

If Nintendo really wants to be a force to reckon with next generation they should make a serious effort to fill in the gaps in their lineup.  If they don't want to make those games then hire developers to do it for them.  SK making mature games is already a good start.  Now what they need is someone to make sports games and another developer to specialize in RPGs (Camelot would be a good choice instead of wasting their time with Mario sports games).  Someone else can then fill in the gaps by working on a realistic racer and a fighting game.  Nintendo published games should cover all demographics and all genres because that's what Sony does and they're number one.  Each game shouldn't appeal to everyone, the game lineup should appeal to everyone.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2003, 11:28:24 AM »
you know what  i thought just now that be really cool...beign able to download different powerups....and downloadign the powerup changes the game in some way. Like adidgn chanllanges and monsters and stuff....kindal ike pso quests but mario style.