Author Topic: Paper Monsters Recut (Wii U eShop)  (Read 3695 times)

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
Paper Monsters Recut (Wii U eShop)
« on: October 28, 2014, 10:22:33 PM »
Okie dokie. I was given the go-ahead to post a review or two. (I don't intend to overwhelm the review forum with my reviews, so no worries!)

My first review will be for a game that a lot of sites have yet to cover. It's Paper Monsters Recut for the Wii U eShop.

===

For someone new to mobile gaming like I am, I had no idea that Paper Monsters was originally a mobile game. Doing some research, I found out that the game was making its first console appearance in the form of an enhanced port with Paper Monsters Recut. No doubt Mobot Studios took this undertaking of porting a mobile game to a major home console seriously, evident by the work easily seen through comparing the two games. In essence, Paper Monsters Recut takes a tried-and-true take on the old school 2D platformer, and it adds in physical (read: no touch screen) controls to make this Wii U version the definitive one.

The entire world of Paper Monsters Recut is made of paper and cardboard. This includes platforms, backgrounds, characters, and more. This enhanced port of the original Paper Monsters on mobile features even more to make its unique visual style stand out from the crowd of other eShop titles, such as improved lighting and effects. The colors come from a wide pallet, offering some very beautiful areas. While not everything is perfect tech-wise (e.g. there's some significant slowdown at the start of the Puzzling Pyramid level and rare hard system locks), Paper Monsters Recut looks absolutely glorious on the Wii U, especially if you have an HDTV.

Despite the uniqueness of the graphical presentation, Paper Monsters Recut is still a traditional 2D platformer. You run, leap on enemy heads, you traverse platforms, you double jump, and you explore levels for hidden optional goodies like gold paperclips and golden buttons (the latter unlocks mini-games to play and set high scores on). The simplicity of controls make the game very accessible to beginning players, although the challenge of the game itself isn't very high. Paper Monsters Recut doesn't hold back on giving you copious amounts of extra lives at your disposal, nor does it punish you in a harsh way for dying. You just lose one of your many lives and are sent back to the last reached checkpoint with everything you already collected saved.

===

I think it's best I do a "click here for the rest" deal because I'm having trouble with formatting and to get some curiosity on how the rest of the review will play out!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Re: Paper Monsters Recut (Wii U eShop)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 12:43:16 AM »
a fellow blogger hey. I might have to spam your comments section till you check out my blog. Or just read more of your stuff.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
Re: Paper Monsters Recut (Wii U eShop)
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 08:47:41 PM »
Yeah, I've had my blog for six years. I imagine that's how NWR peeps contacted me for a staff position long ago. I couldn't do all three things: college, NWR, and my site at the same time. I don't think I could do NWR and college, for that matter. Too much work necessary, although worth it, for sure.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)