Author Topic: 2014 E3 Impressions  (Read 19614 times)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Re: 2014 E3 Impressions
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2014, 07:58:21 PM »
Well Ian:  If you had 4 players at a time...you would have to have an updated system wouldn't you.  I figure a system that could stream to 4 different controller screens would have to be pretty powerful, if it is using the same technique to stream the game.  However, I am sure when it is playing games like this in 4 player it would be like split screen in the old days.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2014, 08:01:46 PM »
It's not just a matter of the power to render the visuals, they also need the wireless bandwidth to stream to four separate screens. That might not be that easy.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2014, 09:38:03 PM »
True.  If I was Nintendo though, I would keep the resolution of the gamepad the same, then I would just work on being able to send a single larger video feed.  Then the controllers can only display part of the image...according to what player they are.

It would literally work exactly like split screen gaming did back in the day.  So I think it could be possible but it might be difficult. 

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2014, 11:15:29 PM »
Sorry, but I just don't see that idea being feasible or beneficial to video gaming in any way.

Ian, you're quick to state that modern video gamers have never lived without the internet, but you underestimate how much of the youthful audience has never had a meaningful connection with that platform. I talk to kids every day that aren't allowed on the internet or even given the ability to use Streetpass because of parental controls. Local multiplayer is a thing, but Nintendo focused too much on complex uses for it rather than simplified ideas. They thought that the Wii userbase would have "grown up" by now and adopted a more complex state of mind, but it turns out, the audience that grew up on the Wii, and every subsequent generation prior, don't care about that stuff. That's where the bad sales come from, not kids.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2014, 02:10:56 AM »
True.  If I was Nintendo though, I would keep the resolution of the gamepad the same, then I would just work on being able to send a single larger video feed.  Then the controllers can only display part of the image...according to what player they are.

It would literally work exactly like split screen gaming did back in the day.  So I think it could be possible but it might be difficult. 

That is the exact idea I had 3 years ago when we first started discussing how to make multiple gamepads work.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2014, 02:39:09 AM »
@IAN

As a father of 5 kids all under 13, I can tell you that local multiplayer is still a very big deal. Mario Kart 8, NBA2k14, Madden, SM3DW.  The only game they play on line is POPTROPICA and CALL of Duty. When the cousins or the neighborhood kids come over, it all local.