Author Topic: 2014 E3 Impressions  (Read 19783 times)

Offline Diet Cake

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 E3 Impressions
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2014, 10:14:29 PM »
I have to say, I was very impressed with this E3.  With the last E3 being nothing too special, I think this E3 is a big step up.  Unlike Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo managed to show great exclusives for Wii U.  The Amiibo figures are an interesting idea, though I don't find its use in Smash Bros. too intriguing.  The new Zelda looks amazing, though not the art style I expected.  Splatoon seems like a fun game that takes a new spin on shooters.  Smash Bros. is obviously amazing, and the invitational was fun to watch.  The one think I hate was that the news was spread out among the Digital Event and the live Treehouse stream.  In conclusion, I think they won E3 because they came prepared. Also, 2015 seems like a HUGE year for Wii U.
You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?
3DS FC: 0018-1808-4994

Offline RarityGamer

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2014, 06:48:08 PM »
I don't think Nintendo did amazing, but I do think they made a giant step in the right direction. If more of these titles were coming out this year, they would of stole the show in my opinion. What they did do though was show some great games for the Wii u that I have no doubt will help sales either soon or next year.

The games they showed convinced me to get a Wii u despite not liking the gamepad for example, and even though I know it's probably going to have a short life, I'm quite happy with the amount of games coming to it. I'll basically get my money's worth.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2014, 07:31:22 PM »
Can I just say that Nintendo's take on E3 this year was 10 times better than any other company's ever? The pre made digital show allowed jokes to flow smoothly with no BS awkward moments on stage. No freeze ups on early demos and no potential lack luster audience to make things seem less cool. Though I was with an enormous amount of Nintendo fans(over a thousand) during the live showing and the crowds were roaring in downtown LA! It was all pretty exciting.

The treehouse constantly going with people who know the games left and right playing them how they should be played was so much better than some dummy making everything look boring and putting their own spin on everything. There was so much constant and NEW information every day it was amazing! That is how E3 should always be done! I don't see how anyone could say other wise! So many of you once again looked down on the fact that "Nintendo wasn't doing E3 again" but look now! At first people questioned why Nintendo would abandon a live conference, now people question why no one thought of doing it like that sooner!

As for the games I am the unquestionable master and ruler of Smash. Played it there, saw Sakurai at the tournament, and loved that fight scene between the presidents. It was all just so magical! I bought the U for Nintendo in general but I really bought it for Smash Bros!

Zelda blew me away, lets just see if it can keep surprising me. I have loved all Zelda's for the most part but there has always been something since WW that really irked me with each title.

Splatoon looks super fun, can't wait.

And everything else I will probably buy. Smash Bros.

Ridley.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2014, 10:32:19 PM »
Yeah, the Digital Event was pretty good. I was far more impressed by Nintendo Treehouse. Almost constant stream of gameplay on new games was fucking glorious.

Offline RarityGamer

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2014, 05:22:19 AM »
Just to add, the treehouse was great, but those 2 project games Miyamoto showed were just embarrassingly bad. They really shouldn't of shown that and I can't believe the NWR crew defended it on their podcast.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2014, 10:31:03 AM »
I thought the base defense game looked cool, but the controls and physics of the giant robot game looked awkward. What didn't you like about them?

Offline RarityGamer

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2014, 12:05:42 PM »
For Project Giant Robot, the slow clunky and horrible control scheme, the "combat" is dull and tedious and lacks any sort of enjoyment. The idea itself is nothing creative. It's basically a really poorly made Giant robot fight.

As for the defence game. It's the most basic of all tower defence sort of games as they come that lacked any sort of creativity or originality.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2014, 03:01:10 PM »
I'm sure that by the time we see either of those games again, it will look and probably play nothing like what we saw at E3.

Online Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2014, 04:20:31 PM »
It's been stressed a lot those games are in early development as well so it is not like they are about to get released in a month or two. Clearly, the focus is still on controls and utilizing the gamepad. While the gamepla might be basic, I think the idea is just to make sure the whatever control scheme they are using can work with something basic before it gets expanded with more and more ideas.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2014, 07:39:16 PM »
I bet Miyamoto incorporates both of them into his Starfox game. You're a Starfox fan, right Rarity? ;)

But seriously, these a pre alpha prototypes that show how Nintendo fleshes out its ideas. I appreciate the behind the scenes look at the process.

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2014, 10:49:23 PM »
The problem I have with them showing those early projects was that half the idea was to show off unique ideas for the Gamepad and if they're as early as they looked, it wouldn't surprise me if games based on them don't see the light of day until Nintendo's next system.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2014, 11:10:22 PM »
The problem I have with them showing those early projects was that half the idea was to show off unique ideas for the Gamepad and if they're as early as they looked, it wouldn't surprise me if games based on them don't see the light of day until Nintendo's next system.

Wii U 2 confirmed. Buoyed by the success of how well their E3 Digital Event was received the 2nd time around after the first one fell flat, Nintendo has decided to release the Wii U again as the Wii U 2 to much expected fanfare and positive reception.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2014, 11:21:15 PM »
Wii Them confirmed.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2014, 11:25:15 PM »
Wii US

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2014, 11:28:17 PM »
Wii Mii

c'mon guys, that one was obvious.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2014, 11:35:56 PM »
When people didn't buy the Gamecube, Nintendo re-released it again with a motion controller and called it the Wii. YOU WILL LIKE IT

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2014, 01:04:28 AM »
They could call it the Wii Do, and release a bunch of Wii Makes, and attempt to Wii Gain our trust and Wii Spect to keep us as Wii Peat customers.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2014, 02:12:41 AM »
You know seriously, if Nintendo was to make a Wii 2 in say 3-4 years.  That uses the Wii U controller and allows for 4 player simultaneous play, it would be a huge hit...and you all know it.  I would be interesting in that product, and because the control would not need to have huge R&D costs then maybe they can lower the price to normal-ish controller costs.   

Offline RarityGamer

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2014, 04:13:50 AM »
I seriously doubt it would be a hit. I own a Wii u, and I'm still not interested in the pad. I bought the console for the games and that's exactly what people want. Not Nintendo's strange use of the word "innovation" as a selling point.

I really hope their next console just uses a standard game pad.

Oh, and if Miyamoto does use those things in Starfox. I'll be the first to introduce him to my middle finger.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 04:16:19 AM by RarityGamer »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2014, 05:07:43 AM »
If you think one poorly-executed tech demo is enough to write off a whole concept you're crazy. We finally got Nintendo to show stuff more than six months away from release and being that critical of things that were obviously just tech demos is only going to make them revert to their old habits.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline RarityGamer

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2014, 06:21:20 AM »
I didn't say that. They shouldn't of showed it. It's not just beyond 6 months away, it's not even 2 years away at that stage.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2014, 06:28:06 AM »
I disagree, I enjoy seeing the little weird concept stuff they've got going on in the background.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2014, 10:25:37 AM »
When people didn't buy the Gamecube, Nintendo re-released it again with a motion controller and called it the Wii. YOU WILL LIKE IT

It's funny 'cause it's true.

They could call it the Wii Do, and release a bunch of Wii Makes, and attempt to Wii Gain our trust and Wii Spect to keep us as Wii Peat customers.

Nicely done, good sir. *politely applauds and gives a nod of approval in your direction*

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2014, 12:55:51 PM »
You know seriously, if Nintendo was to make a Wii 2 in say 3-4 years.  That uses the Wii U controller and allows for 4 player simultaneous play, it would be a huge hit...and you all know it.  I would be interesting in that product, and because the control would not need to have huge R&D costs then maybe they can lower the price to normal-ish controller costs.   

Is this like a full-on new console or pretty much a glorified four player Wii U?  Frankly I don't think Nintendo will ever find any meaningful success with an outdated console again.  But assuming they made something with up-to-date hardware and it had all the consumer expected bulletpoints checked off I still don't think four player Gamepad support is going to attract much interest.  Surely if the concept was so awesome the Wii U would have sold better and if Nintendo actually had great ideas for the thing, they would have used them already.

Another thing to note is that the younger generation doesn't really give a **** about local multiplayer which is where the whole appeal of four gamepads would be.  Kids today have never lived without the internet.  They didn't have the N64 years of playing four players in the same room.  They don't have that personal connection so I don't think it matters to them.  Being limited to the internet for multiplayer is fine for them - case in point the backlash against numerous online-only multiplayer games is tiny and perpetrated by old ass gamers in their 30s like me.

The Gamepad concept is very similar to Cube games like Crystal Chronicles and Four Swords and the "benefits" seemed kind of silly even then.  "You get your own screen!"  "Well I also get that with online play."  "Ah but here you can interact with the other players!"  "...and I can't do that with a headset?"  The whole concept was like Nintendo's weird ass alternative to online play, like something you would expect from some isolated hermit who didn't know the internet existed.  It was kind of silly in 2003 and it's ridiculous now.  It solves a problem that virtually no one has.  The person that wants an online-like experience in the physical presence of other players is a very niche market.

If offering four player gamepad support doesn't compromise anything important like the specs or the price or the ability to have a worthwhile controller then, sure, they can offer it.  But I don't think it will attract any real interest at all.  What is the million dollar videogame idea that it offers that can't already be done with online play?

Offline Eiksirf

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2014, 03:20:33 PM »
That sounds about right to me. The controller hook just didn't click with people like the motion sensitive controller did. Remember how shocking it was that it was one-handed? It demanded your attention.

Now, Nintendo is seeing some more success for Wii U and it's coming on the heels of this good E3 showing. It's the first-party software that's creating interest, not the controller. The Wii was a huge hit, but it was an anomaly because it caught on in the mainstream. With Wii U and consoles in the foreseeable future, Nintendo is going to have to carve out its marketshare the old fashioned way, with compelling software.