Author Topic: 3D Classics you want to see  (Read 5648 times)

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
3D Classics you want to see
« on: May 09, 2013, 11:13:15 AM »
The 3D Classics branch of the 3DS eShop has been a little hit or miss. There are of course games which seem to genuinely benefit from the cosmetic changes, like Kid Icarus and Kirby's Adventure. Some games, however, have raised a few eyebrows in the west because they have seemingly been chosen to receive the stereoscopic treatment on the basis that they've retaining some amount of affection amongst nostalgic gamers in Japan. Urban Champion and TwinBee come to mind.

Recently, however, it was announced that a 3D Classics version of Sonic for the Genesis/Mega Drive is to be released in Japan. Up until this point 3D Classics have tended to be NES games, and in that sense Sonic marks a broadening of Nintendo's stereoscopic 3D re-release sub-category (catchy term, right?).

Which got me thinking (albeit wishful thinking), what if Nintendo were to really blow the doors off of 3D Classics? If there were no impediments to them being made, what 3D Classics would we would like to see? Of those platforms already under the VC umbrella which one game from each system would you choose to receive a 3D overhaul?

My choices might look something like this.

NES - Shadowgate - Viewed from fixed first-person perspectives this game had lots of cool and interesting angles which would work really well in 3D. Mostly though, I just want to revisit the game to see if it's as horrifying as I remember.

SNES - Donkey Kong Country - How cool would it be to see 2D sprites of pre-rendered 3D models in stereoscopic 3D?!

N64 - 1080° - Dion Blaster is so fast that viewing him snowboarding down a mountain in 3D is likely to cause some sort of aneurysm. That's a risk I'm willing to take.

Master System - Space Harrier 3D - That's right, Space Harrier was already in 3D back in the days of yore thanks to the Master System's 3D glasses accessory. So they should be able to just dump the rom, stick a 3D Classics tagline on it, and call it a day right?...I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Mega Drive/Genesis - Comix Zone - Essentially a 'Beat 'em up', Comix Zone has stuck with me because I really like the idea of 2D drawings physically jumping off the page and invading other comic panels of the comic. I also like the fact that the artist's hand intervenes in the world of the comic book characters and makes changes. It seems like a concept that might be well suited to 3D.

TG-16 - Lords of Thunder - If the existing 3D Classics catalogue has taught me anything it's that 2D sprites in stereoscopic 3D look great. By lifting sprites up slightly from the background, 3D really emphasises their crispness. Few games would be able to take advantage of that more than Lords of Thunder. The game is packed with massive colourful sprites and screen filling special attacks. I'm confident it would exceptionally good if it were to be given the 3D Classics treatment.

So, those are some of my choices. There are many more bizarre and wonderful choices out there, I'm sure, which we'd love to see under the 3D Classics banner. Which game from each platform would you choose?

« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 11:19:04 AM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Re: 3D Classics you want to see
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 03:11:58 PM »
Why would you need Master System port of Space Harrier if they already have 3d-fied arcade version?

Also, 3d classics TwinBee was awesome. So was Xevious. 3d effect helps a lot with layers.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 03:31:25 PM »
Why would you need Master System port of Space Harrier if they already have 3d-fied arcade version?

Because I own a 3DS and I don't own an arcade?

*Update - I misunderstood you and thought you were saying there was a 3D Space Harrier in the arcades. After some research I suspect you were referring to a 3DS version of the arcade game which is in development. Which does, indeed, sound better than a 3D Classics version of the Master System game. That's me happy then!

;D
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 03:47:29 PM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 08:13:23 PM »
didn't they say they were done with that run...

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 12:49:43 AM »
I would love a 3D classics Super Mario Bros. 3

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 04:16:43 AM »

I'd like to see the original Contra as a 3D Classic, and think it could look really pretty in some parts.  Also, Metal Storm would be great since it's a game that plays great, looks decent, and could use a re-release anyway.

didn't they say they were done with that run...

I believe so, but it's nice to dream.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 05:14:09 AM »
I would love a 3D classics Super Mario Bros. 3

Actually, that would be pretty sweet, and unlike my suggestion it has the advantage of being feasible. Can you imagine the sun circling and swooping down to kill you...IN 3D!

I'd like to see the original Contra as a 3D Classic, and think it could look really pretty in some parts.

I could be getting my games mixed up, but am I right in saying that the original Contra had boss battles which weren't sidescrolling but rather isometric, in which the view was behind the character as they were shooting forward? If so, that would look amazing in 3D.

Gouge away.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 08:28:46 AM »

I'd like to see the original Contra as a 3D Classic, and think it could look really pretty in some parts.

I could be getting my games mixed up, but am I right in saying that the original Contra had boss battles which weren't sidescrolling but rather isometric, in which the view was behind the character as they were shooting forward? If so, that would look amazing in 3D.

You're right, and that's a big part of the reason I would like to see the game in 3D.   ;D

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 12:25:51 PM »
I've really wanted to see the original Yoshi's Island as a 3D remake. The multiple background layers would be look gorgeous.

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 02:46:34 AM »
Gunstar Heroes
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 08:34:45 AM »
Gunstar Heroes

Gunstar Heroes is probably my favourite Mega Drive game and is one of my favourite Treasure Games. I don't like buying games multiple times, but I probably would buy it again on 3DS if it were released in any form. Alien Solider might also look kind of neat in 3D, but I don't like that game nearly as much.
Gouge away.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 11:53:12 AM »
Gunstar Heroes

This is a fantastic suggestion.  Could look really hot in 3D.