Author Topic: 2D needs to make a come back...  (Read 6748 times)

Offline snorgasmo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
2D needs to make a come back...
« on: May 29, 2003, 05:47:00 PM »
having recently played the demo for viewtiful joe, i believe there is still a lot of potential for 2D gameplay.. i think we're getting too obsessed with huge 3D worlds and losing sight of the foundations that videogames were built on... viewtiful joe is a testament that 2D gameplay is still fun and refreshing...  viewtiful joe is a testament that we have not exhausted 2D gameplay...

i for one would love to see the next mario game return to the 2D plane.. even if they have to use polygon graphics instead of animated sprites... as fun as mario64 and sunshine are, i think we can all agree that they don't quite compare to mario 1,3 (2 doesn't count ) or mario world...  yoshi's island also still stands as one of the greatest platforming games ever... hell, the castlevania games on the gba are selling pretty well.. that's got to mean something... i think developers should consider 2D gameplay more often instead of defaulting to 3D... 2D is due for a comeback, and i for one, hope that viewtiful joe helps spark it...

(subliminal message, buy viewtiful joe when it comes out)
-- COMMODE7 - we write about videogames.. or something...

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2003, 05:53:01 PM »
i couldn't agree with you more- i love all of those old school 2d things
i loved the viewtiful joe demo and i love how it played
there have been rumors that the new donkey kong being made by nintendo is going to be 3d character sidescroller- like the ones on the snes
i hope that the new mario will take that direction as well- i would love a new 2d mario
also- wario world is sort of 2d- at least thats how the camera seems to have it look
ikaruga too was a good old-school shooter that i love and it is tons of fun
these are the things that should come back- i hope more 2d games will come
i call the big one bitey.

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2003, 12:04:41 PM »
Agreed.  2D gaming is great.  This makes me think of all those 2D classics on the NES and SNES that remain timeless while games like Zelda 64 look outdated what with its rusty look compared to The Wind Waker.

Most of my best memories of gaming come from 2D games.  One that stands out is jumping on the switch that sends Bowser plummeting to the lava for the last time and beating Super Mario Bros.

Games like Viewtiful Joe help keep the dying 2D flame bright...  
I got some killaz on my payroll.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2003, 10:44:18 PM »
lets not forget Contra Shattered Soldier... that game looks friGGin awesome
and the new Metal Slug games coming for PS2....

I sorely miss 2d gaming, I wish it received alot more support...SIGH

P.S. Ikaruga rocks!

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: 2D needs to make a come back...
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2003, 11:30:36 PM »
yeah i agree whole heartedly, just because you CAN go in 3d doesn't mean you should, games done in 3d have more chance for error, and so smaller less developed skillwise teams more often than not bodge them up, yet in the 2D days, more games were better if you catch my drift.
take earthworm jim for example, the first two despite being pretty simple games were awsomely fun 2d side scrollers, yet the 3d version did not stack up in comparison, same with the Donkey Kong Country series AWSOME 2d series, donkey kong 64 well.. i didn't even finnish it.

i think you all get what im driving it even if im not eliquent enough to word it properly

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2003, 01:31:05 AM »
I pre-ordered Mega Man NT and Viewtiful Joe directly from Capcom USA's site (early shipping, sometimes with a free gift).

Well son-of-a-gun, I just looked at my watch and it says 3:33 am.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Mr. Jinks

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2003, 01:34:17 AM »
2D games on modern consoles don't sell.  I don't consider the GBA to be a modern console, since it's essentially a portable Super Nintendo.  Konami opted to make the newest console Castlevania 3D for this very reason.
"A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever." - Shigeru Miyamoto

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2003, 03:41:39 AM »
name one good 2D game that has come out this generation, veiwtiful joe should sell a truckload judging from everyones opinion of the game, i hvaen't heard a bad word about it

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2003, 04:00:55 AM »
Yeah, let 2d come back! With cel-shading it can even look like sprites with higher resolution and smoother anims.
Most complex levels in SMB aren't possible in 3d, so I hope for a 2d SMB4

Offline VideoGamerX

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2003, 06:05:04 AM »
2D is going to come back. I'm sure of it. There's a catch though... there's no reason you can melt 3D graphics into a 2D-style game.

These people are supposed to be creative and innovative. They'll figure something out.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2003, 06:11:31 AM »
I'm not sure how Super Monkey Ball could use 2D graphics. That said, Amusement Vision are talented; I'm in awe regardless of how it comes out.

What would be really amazing is the use of 2, 3 AND 4D all in one game. But not simply, 2D here, 3D here, 4D here. I mean, in a Metroid Prime environment where all have to be used almost simultaneously to accomplish your objective in question.

Offline GoldShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2003, 07:19:53 AM »
I think there's a place for both 2D and 3D.  For example, Viewtiful Joe (though I haven't played it) certainly sounds like a game that would work much better in 2D.  The 2D allows for simpler directional controls and more complicated things like slow-motion effects and stuff at the same time (I also think The Matrix would work great in 2D).  Games like Zelda, however, I think are destined for 3D.  Though I loved LTTP, it simply can't capture the feeling of exploration as peering over a cliff to see a huge landscape before you with water stretching to the horizon... it just isn't the same in 2D.

"same with the Donkey Kong Country series AWSOME 2d series, donkey kong 64 well.. i didn't even finnish it."

I agree, but I think a *good* Donkey Kong game could be done in 3D.  Just cut out the collecting, and do it in a style more similar to Rayman 2.  Keep the flashy, fast-paced experience of the DKC games.  It's rather sad that almost all 3D platformers have been rather slow-paced and based on collecting things since Mario 64.  

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2003, 07:36:01 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666

whenever i see 3.33 i immediately think of Eternal Darkness

I'll shut up now...

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2003, 07:37:42 AM »
Best game of all time that is 2d on a major console....

SUPER SMASH BROTHERS! I was essentially a 2d with 3d modeled characters, and that's exactly how 2d games should be.
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline Luciferschild

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2003, 11:11:26 AM »
Well I agree too. My favorite gamecube game is ssbm. 3d games were really cool at first but like previously mentioned there is a huge degree for error and most them are extremely flawed. I don't find the gameplay quality has increased since n64 and this frustrates me cause I thought gc games would have better gameplay but it seems the graphics are just better. When done right, like Oot, Rogue Leader 2, 3d games are funner and have more potential but most of them aren't very good IMO. 3d works for some games like zelda but I'd rather see 2d for others like metroid, mario, castlevania etc...If anything they could make both. I think part of it is when we were growing up we wanted to play 2d games that had great graphics and power like the arcades but that wasn't possible back then. Now consoles are more powerful than the arcade machines were and suddenly they stop making 2d games altogether. I'm suprised that it has been shunned so much by developers. That would be hella sweet if more of them started being made though.    

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2003, 11:15:15 AM »
I've been playing my NES emulator recently.  Just finished an awesome game called Lickle, and my friends and I have started games of River City Ransom and Final Fantasy.  Tis fun.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2003, 11:29:39 AM »

2D games on modern consoles don't sell. I don't consider the GBA to be a modern console, since it's essentially a portable Super Nintendo.
You can't say that.  Name one good 2D game that has been released on GCN, PS2, or XBox...Heck, name one 2D game that has been released (slight exaggeration, don't take me too seriously, it's detrimental to your health).  Oh, I almost forgot, Super Smash Bros. Melee:  one of the best selling titles on GCN and in 2D.  And I seriously think Viewtiful Joe will sell at least relatively well.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2003, 11:35:13 AM »
I was very pleased that Sammy and SNK were at E3 with lots of old school 2D games.  They were right by Nintendo's booth, even.

Offline Mr. Jinks

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2003, 01:39:51 PM »

Originally posted by: kennyb27

2D games on modern consoles don't sell. I don't consider the GBA to be a modern console, since it's essentially a portable Super Nintendo.
You can't say that.  Name one good 2D game that has been released on GCN, PS2, or XBox...Heck, name one 2D game that has been released (slight exaggeration, don't take me too seriously, it's detrimental to your health).  Oh, I almost forgot, Super Smash Bros. Melee:  one of the best selling titles on GCN and in 2D.  And I seriously think Viewtiful Joe will sell at least relatively well.
A prime example would be Ikaruga.  Great game, but it wasn't a profitable venture for its publishers.  Very few companies will create 2D games on modern consoles because the money just isn't there anymore.  SSBM sold as well as it did because the Gamecube's launch was incredibly weak, so Gamecube owners were desparate for something.
"A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever." - Shigeru Miyamoto

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2003, 01:44:55 PM »

Originally posted by: Mr. Jinks

Originally posted by: kennyb27

A prime example would be Ikaruga.  Great game, but it wasn't a profitable venture for its publishers.  Very few companies will create 2D games on modern consoles because the money just isn't there anymore.  SSBM sold as well as it did because the Gamecube's launch was incredibly weak, so Gamecube owners were desparate for something.

I disagree Mr. Jinks while Ikaruga won't pull in GTA style sales or dollars, the game only had development team of 10 guys. It didn't cost much to make, they made there money back plus some on the DC version....the GC version is just icing on the cake for Treasure.

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2003, 04:48:26 PM »

Originally posted by: Stimutacs Addict

Originally posted by: Professional 666

whenever i see 3.33 i immediately think of Eternal Darkness

Yeah same, i'll probably never forget Eternal Darkness, a true masterpiece.

Anyway, a 2D Mario game on GC has so much potential, imagine wall jumping in 2D! That would be so cool, and Triple jump, backflip etc. would all work very well in 2D.

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2003, 05:04:45 PM »

Originally posted by: Mr. Jinks

SSBM sold because it was fun.  It is the only game me and my Xbox or PS2 friends have played together for more than ten hours.  Not only that, but it sold over two million worldwide.  I don't think that was out of desperation.

I got some killaz on my payroll.

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2003, 06:44:41 PM »
2D gaming is great, but I think the consoles can take this to their advantage. 2D games were restricted in their size, diversity, and control. With the next gen of systems, we have more freedom than ever. Imagine playing a Mario game that encompassed the whole world rather than a kingdom. Instead of 20 levels, you could have 100, possibly more. In addition, we have the power of "saving" these days, so having games these large won't be a big problem for a gamer trying to beat them. I also think we can always tweak 2D into 3D, sort of what we like to call 2.5D. Viewtiful Joe is a great example of that because they used the side-scroller and added the 3D power the Gamecube can pump. The thing I want most is diversity in characters. In the Nes and Snes games, we'd just have to beat up like 500 clones of character. I'd like to beat up 500 different looking individuals.

I'd really love to play like a 200 level Ninja Turtle, side scrolling game, which would have lasting abilities.

One thing that could be cool for future online games is this: A 32 player wrestling royal rumble in 2D!!!! Or even LAN. A machine this age can easily run at 60 fps with all those characters fighting each other.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2003, 07:27:46 PM »
i would love to see a 2D metal slug game on the gamecube, they are awsomely RSI inducing arcade games ^_^

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2003, 09:25:39 PM »
Once all the graphics for each system are barely recognizable from the others, we will see a return to 2d gaming...like in the next generation of hardware.   3D games were made to 'show off' the hardware...but when its reached its pinnacle, it'll go back to being fun 2d mayhem! yay!  ...and Nintendo is the only company prepared to compensate graphics for good ole gameplay,and ABLE to do so, so we are in luck.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates