Author Topic: 3do's bankrupcy and Army Men  (Read 3944 times)

Offline milenko292

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
3do's bankrupcy and Army Men
« on: May 29, 2003, 01:59:02 PM »
Everyone is talking about the four horsemen and what will happen to it, but what I want to know is what will happen to Army Men: Sarge's War.  It is suppose to come out in a few weeks.  If anyone knows what will happen to the game please let me know.
The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as
a cribhouse whore.  We don’t just borrow words; on occasion, English had pursed other
languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2003, 02:00:58 PM »
I think you are about the one person on the earth who really cares what happens to Army Men... I honestly don't know anyone who was even remotely interested in the game after the second incarnation.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: 3do's bankrupcy and Army Men
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2003, 02:01:15 PM »
I didn't know it was so bad for them.
Trip Hawkins is, IMO, the Bill Gates of the 16-bit generation. And doesn't he have a hand in EA or something?
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2003, 02:31:46 PM »
was Trip Hawkins at one time the head of EA? I could be wrong, but wasn't he the one who boldly proclaimed during a 1999 interview with the now defunct Next Gen magazine that "Dreamcast would never succeed without support from EA" or something along those lines. the man is a modern-day soothsayer, I tells ya!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2003, 03:03:50 PM »
yes he founded ea..but he wanted to make his own console so he left his company and founded 3do..actually hwen 3do had their own console they made decent quality games for that system.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ShockingAlberto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2003, 03:07:53 PM »
Just out of curiosity, who kept buying those Army Men games to warrant them making more?

-- ShockingAlberto  
Press X to run.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2003, 03:10:37 PM »
Alberto, I was asking myself that very same question not too long ago.  It's got to be the most unpopular franchise with the most titles in record.  Nobody likes it, yet they still kept churning out the games like it was a Mario killer.

Offline Christberg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2003, 03:12:56 PM »
You know, the only stuff I'm worried about having to do with 3DO is Heroes of Might and Magic.  It's a fantastic series and I hope somebody nabs New World Computing soon.

Offline lanna

• View Profile
RE: 3do's bankrupcy and Army Men
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2003, 03:46:22 PM »
 anyone know whats gonna happen to street racing syndicate?

Offline StRaNgE

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2003, 04:06:56 PM »
i loved the 1st and second of those on the 64, the multi player   games i had on that were a blast.

i always loved the concept and idea of them as well.  I was hoping that they would take it  to bigger and better  hights on this generation.

never liked the copter games at all though.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2003, 04:08:35 PM »
I'm still waiting for that Four Horsepeople of the Acapulco.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2003, 05:20:37 PM »
Ill miss 3DO, my friend had the panasonic model
wing commander 4, Myst and a voodoo game.....
Ill forever have memorys of the fun times

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2003, 12:10:50 PM »
Ahhh...Army Men.  So many horrible memories spent playing the N64 incarnation of that game...
I got some killaz on my payroll.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2003, 12:33:12 PM »

Originally posted by: DeadlyD

I've always wanted to get a copy of the DVD version of Wing Commander IV for PC.  It's the only game out of the series that I haven't played.  How is it?  Is it better than Wing Commander III in terms of story?  How does it hold up next to Wing Commander Prophecy in terms of gameplay?  Have you played the others?  

Myst just sucked though...

Offline SatansNemesis

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2003, 01:36:51 PM »
I've only played the first n64 army men game once (a bout a week ago) and while it was horrible with cortrol, it was an entertaining and fun game (at least the multi player is). It was a game that made me think 'this has a lot of potential to be really cool". guess 3do wasn't thinking the same thing. Someone needs to make a different type of army men game (not with the 'army men' license but with the real toys of old), one that is actually less 'real war' like and more of a true game about plastic army men.  
What kind of Flame Warrior are You?<BR><a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame1.html">http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame1.html[/url]

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2003, 01:41:21 PM »

Originally posted by: Grey Ninja

Originally posted by: DeadlyD

I've always wanted to get a copy of the DVD version of Wing Commander IV for PC.  It's the only game out of the series that I haven't played.  How is it?  Is it better than Wing Commander III in terms of story?  How does it hold up next to Wing Commander Prophecy in terms of gameplay?  Have you played the others?  

Myst just sucked though...

from what I remember it was great, It had alot of fmv for its time. I remember the gameplay being pretty good, but since there were soo many missions, it some times got boring, thu at the end it got pretty hard
The game was 2-3 disks too
I cant remember much, I just remember Hobs (big fluffy guy) and the main guy (luke from star wars) in a fmv and a few missions

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2003, 02:02:49 PM »
"Just out of curiosity, who kept buying those Army Men games to warrant them making more?"

Probably no one.  That's why they went broke.

Offline msuzuki

• Staff Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2003, 02:12:53 PM »
FYI...Jonny mentioned in the story that High Heat 2004 was completed and awaiting mass-production and distribution.  What he didn't mention (probably 'cause he didn't think people cared) was that Army Men: Sarge's War and Army Men: RTS are at the same point; completed and awaiting mass-production and distribution.  If another publisher was looking to make some quick games, these 3 would be easy pick-ups...but that assumes there's a publisher that thinks these games are worth selling.  High Heat is a good baseball game, but GCN sports game sales haven't been great.  Sarge's War, I believe, is essentially a slightly darker, next-gen version of the N64 Army Men games (Sarge's Heroes).  RTS is a port of a largely ignored PS2 game.

As for SRS and Four Horsemen, those were still in development and need more work before they're done.  If another publisher picked these up, they'd have to continue the work on them.  I think there was some good reactions to these at E3, so there may be a small chance that someone else would want to continue the work.