Author Topic: What will you do with your Wii after you buy a Wii U?  (Read 14848 times)

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
Re: What will you do with your Wii after you buy a Wii U?
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2012, 10:12:12 AM »
My Wii will get moved to the bedroom where it will reside on a SDtv - it's true home. :P
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2012, 12:55:51 PM »
I'll keep it. There are games that will never be re-released on Virtual Console that I treasure (like MVP Baseball 2005) and I know I want to keep playing.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2012, 05:32:17 PM »
Transfer my stuff to the WiiU and go from there.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2012, 05:36:13 PM »
Assuming I won't lose my save files (like what happened to DSiWare games when you transferred them to a 3DS), I will probably transfer everything to my Wii U and then give my Wii to my GF.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2012, 01:51:08 AM »
Maybe I'm being overly cautious, but I'm kind of worried about the virtual console experience on the Wii U, and I'll definitely hang on to my Wii for a while after launch.   We don't know very much about the Wii U and how it will present virtual console content.   Will it look and sound as good as it does on the Wii?  Part of the Wii's strength in terms of VC is the fact that it isn't an HD console and natively displays at 480.   Will VC still look as good on our HDTV's as they do now?  How will VC games be affected when the Wii U displays at 720 or 1080?  Will it scale up the sprites?  And if so, just how crappy will that look?

I'm sure Nintendo will say that VC will look fine on the Wii U, but after being spoiled by just how good VC games, especially SNES, look on the Wii, I will be very hesitant to unplug my little white box and replace it it with...okay, well, another white box, but you get my point.
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline HeyItsMe

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2012, 07:10:47 AM »
I'm going to keep mine.  I have a couple of Gamecube games that I haven't played it. Eternal Darkness is calling my name thanks to the segment on Connectivity but wanna get through Skyward Sword first and many more

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2012, 07:30:09 AM »
Maybe I'm being overly cautious, but I'm kind of worried about the virtual console experience on the Wii U, and I'll definitely hang on to my Wii for a while after launch.   We don't know very much about the Wii U and how it will present virtual console content.   Will it look and sound as good as it does on the Wii?  Part of the Wii's strength in terms of VC is the fact that it isn't an HD console and natively displays at 480.   Will VC still look as good on our HDTV's as they do now?  How will VC games be affected when the Wii U displays at 720 or 1080?  Will it scale up the sprites?  And if so, just how crappy will that look?

I'm sure Nintendo will say that VC will look fine on the Wii U, but after being spoiled by just how good VC games, especially SNES, look on the Wii, I will be very hesitant to unplug my little white box and replace it it with...okay, well, another white box, but you get my point.

The system will almost certainly be able to output in 480p if it wants to; the question is your TV. If you've got a Wii hooked up to a non-CRT HD TV then VC games (and all other Wii games) are already being converted to the native resolution of the TV before display, so not much will change with the Wii U.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Do_What

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2012, 09:33:41 AM »
After doing the soft mod to play Xenoblade I went the extra step to go ahead and rip all of my wii games to an external hard drive. So since I won't have to actually put in discs or switch discs out I can leave the wii hooked up somewhere to play games whenever I feel like it. It's actually super convenient.
(╯°□°)╯︵ â”»â”â”»

Offline superfoor

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2012, 09:52:07 AM »
When I buy my Wiiu I will be moving my wii out to the family room tv so It can retire with the NES SNES N64 and GC. The Wiiu will then take its spot in the living room and the process will begin anew.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2012, 09:41:52 AM »
Keeping mine since I traded in my Game Cube for it when the Wii came out.
Mission...complete?

Offline Anth0ny

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2012, 06:59:15 PM »
Same thing I did with my N64 and Gamecube. Keep it exactly where it is  :)

You can't plug a Gameboy Player into a Wii, so keeping my Gamecube around this gen was a wise choice. Besides, I love that sexy little Cube. I'll never part ways with it.

Judging from the 3DS so far, Nintendo has upped its security, so I don't expect homebrew breakthroughs on the Wii U to be anything close to the Wii. I'll keep my Wii to play Brawl with custom textures and music.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2012, 07:09:33 PM »

You can't plug a Gameboy Player into a Wii, so keeping my Gamecube around this gen was a wise choice. Besides, I love that sexy little BOX. I'll never part ways with it.

Judging from the 3DS so far, Nintendo has upped its security, so I don't expect homebrew breakthroughs on the Wii U to be anything close to the Wii. I'll keep my Wii to play Brawl with custom textures and music.

Fixed.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2012, 09:36:12 PM »
I might see if there are any trade-in deals (GameStop or Best Buy) before I jump on the Wii U bandwagon.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2012, 09:51:29 PM »
While the Wii will definently be killed in the retail space in favor for the Wii U, I could easily see Gamestop selling used Wiis for $49.99 and advertising them as Netflix boxes, or Virtual Console systems. I know a lot of people who want Netflix, but have no way of getting the service. They could buy Wiis and solve their issue. The Wii would more or less become a set-top-box for Netflix.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2012, 12:13:42 AM »
Virtual Console systems.

How is your SD card project coming along? You should make a new thread all about it, and post pictures of how it worked out.
is your sanity...

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2012, 12:48:21 AM »
I know a lot of people who want Netflix, but have no way of getting the service. They could buy Wiis and solve their issue. The Wii would more or less become a set-top-box for Netflix.

That would be pretty cool. But what's stopping some people from getting streaming Netflix without a Wii? I thought Rokus are pretty cheap now?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Anth0ny

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2012, 01:06:42 AM »

You can't plug a Gameboy Player into a Wii, so keeping my Gamecube around this gen was a wise choice. Besides, I love that sexy little BOX. I'll never part ways with it.

Fixed.

Well technically mine is a cube since it has the GB Player attached =)

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2012, 04:59:53 PM »
I know a lot of people who want Netflix, but have no way of getting the service. They could buy Wiis and solve their issue. The Wii would more or less become a set-top-box for Netflix.

That would be pretty cool. But what's stopping some people from getting streaming Netflix without a Wii? I thought Rokus are pretty cheap now?
Rokus are as little as $49 I believe.  You can also stream on a pc, on many newer bluray players, on any ios or Android device, and many, many more items.  While the idea of a Wii as a Netflix box has merit, I think there are definitely better options out there.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2012, 06:22:44 PM »
The Wii is a poor choice for a multimedia center device. Why pay $200 just to play Netflix in standard definition? You can use the Wii for Netflix, but better alternatives do exist for this purpose.
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2012, 06:28:40 PM »
Wii is $150 new, less than $100 if you want used. If you don't own a HDTV, then you don't need HD versions of media. So the Wii is not a bad choice for a multimedia device as you can use Netflix, Hulu Plus, YouTube (well, some), and others. If you want a cheap choice, Wii is good.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2012, 06:49:19 PM »
Hmm... I got my second Wii (used) for $50 and think it's a great Netflix box for our cheap tube TV. Not sure any of the suggestions offered so far are a better fit for our particular situation... and I imagine that plenty of others are in the same boat.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2012, 06:57:23 PM »
I think a cheap Wii is a good solution for a lot of people. I just don't think it's the only solution, or a perfect one.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2012, 07:51:10 PM »
I'm leaving my Wii right where every self-respecting gamer put it; in the closet.
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline Monteblanco

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2012, 06:37:28 PM »
I plan to pick up The Last Story this week, which should be the last game I will play on my Wii. After that, I'll install it át. My sister-in-law home, where it will introduce her kids on the Nintendo family.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2012, 11:41:38 PM »
I will hook it to old CRT in other room.

Still have lots of gamecube games to play.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks