Author Topic: 2011 Nintendo Game of the Year Discussion Thread  (Read 9512 times)

Offline Quadran

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Nintendo Game of the Year Discussion Thread
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2011, 11:16:09 AM »
My picks for game of the year:

Wii
  • Retail: for me Xenoblade Chronicles is by far the best game to be released in Europe.
  • WiiWare: I have 2 picks for this year: Hydroventure (Fluidity) and FAST - racing league. Although Hydroventure is technically a 2010 game (it came out on Christmas eve in Europe), It was the game I played and enjoyed the most on the service this year.
DS
  • Retail: Normally I would pick Radiant Historia, but if I had to exclude imports then i would go with Ghost Trick or SolatoRobo as this years winner.
  • DSiWare: Zelda - Four swords takes it this year
3DS
  • Retail: Mario Kart 7 takes the number one slot for 2011.
  • eShop: For the virtual console, my pick would be DK '94. It's the first time I played this game, but it impressed my very much. For the other releases it's more difficult, but as I like pinball games, my pick would be Zen Pinball 3D at this moment.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 08:12:51 AM by Quadran »

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2011, 08:41:43 AM »
Because it's been mentioned several times - with good cause - in this thread, let me point out that Fluidity (WiiWare) can now be purchased from the Club Nintendo website for a paltry 150 coins.  It's not technically free... but darn close for anyone with points who has been waiting for good prizes.
NNID: ejamer

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2011, 12:40:02 PM »
Speaking of Game of the Year discussion, Edge Magazine released their list for 2011.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword received Mainstream Game of the Year.

Mario Kart 7 received Best Portable Game.

And Nintendo was named Publisher of the Year.                                                             
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2011, 11:52:44 AM »
Great "Nintendo Game of the Year" discussion in the latest RFN Podcast.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/28725

Spoilers posted below with the overall winners, determined by awarding points to each game based on where it was listed in each of the three lists discussed:

1. Ghost Trick (DS) - 12 points   GotY Winner!
2. Super Mario 3D Land (3DS) - 11 points
3. Zelda Skyward Sword (Wii) / Xenoblade (Wii) - 8 points
4. Radiant Historia (DS) - 5 points
5. Rhythm Heaven (Wii) / Pushmo (3DS eShop) - 1 point

Go listen to the podcast if you haven't already. The discussion starts about an hour in, and is very interesting while avoiding any notable spoilers. Hearing each participant list their favorite games and talk briefly about why they enjoyed that experience is worth far more than a simple list of games.
NNID: ejamer

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2011, 02:59:37 AM »
For Wii, my GOTY is The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. Yes, I agree that there are problems with the pacing, occasional control snafus, and a lot of padding. I also agree that the story and characters are great even if some did not live up to their potential, most notably, Fi. Ultimately, I find the core gameplay of running across the land, solving puzzles, and fighting beasts throughout the dungeons so utterly engrossing that I feel justified calling this my overall Game of the Year.

For DS, my GOTY is Pokemon Black/White. The fact that the developers attempted to give the game a darker, more compelling narrative certainly helped, and the core gameplay of capturing and raising the hundreds of monsters to be as fun as ever.

For 3DS, my GOTY is Super Mario 3D Land. What else is there to say? The controls are great, with superb level design, and the overall package is just ripe with content.

On Wii VC, it's Chrono Trigger. Fantastic game, go play it. On 3DS VC, and this is probably on no one's list, but I picked Game & Watch Gallery. I went into it with modest expectations and found one of the most addicting and replayable games of this year. As for 3DS Downloads, I went with Freakyforms: Your Creations, Alive!. It's Nintendo-like to its core: simple to understand and get into, and can be very enjoyable to play. Not to mention it gets a few laughs out of me almost every time I play it.

Sure, there were some bumps, but overall, I'd say it was a good year for these platforms. Here's hoping next year is great as well.
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2011, 04:18:23 AM »
There are probably four games I'd put ahead of Freakyforms on the 3DS Downloads side, which is impressive considering there are only six games total available on the service. That's not to say Freakyforms isn't good, but that there are three amazing titles (Mighty Switch Force, VVVVVV and Pushmo) and one underrated gem (Pyramids) that I like better.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent