Author Topic: What is your most recent gaming purchase?  (Read 755144 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: What is your most recent gaming purchase?
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2011, 01:56:30 PM »
I've thought about picking up Beat Hazard before, but it's such a pain to transfer songs to my PS3 from my computer because of how our network is set up, so I never bothered.

Then buy it for your PC instead? It comes up for sale on Steam all of the time. I think I only paid a couple of bucks for it way back when.

I try to avoid PC gaming if I can help it.  Besides, I don't want to pick up anything for my computer at the moment when I'm about to get a brand new one for Christmas.  I'll probably finally get around to picking up StarCraft 2 then, as I'll finally have a computer that can run it.
Hey,
Did you see that Blizzard is doing a 50% off StarCraft 2 sale right now?  I don't know when it ends.  I presonally bought the collector edition because I wanted Raynor's dog tags with SC on it.  Great game even without the multiplayer.

Yeah I know, and it hurts that money is so tight right now that I can't take advantage of it.  I've only bought the things I've recently bought because of gift cards, vouchers, and trade-in credit.  I have to save what money I'm going to have for the near-future for FF XIII-2's and Mass Effect 3's CE next year.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2011, 06:46:55 PM »
I've thought about picking up Beat Hazard before, but it's such a pain to transfer songs to my PS3 from my computer because of how our network is set up, so I never bothered.

Then buy it for your PC instead? It comes up for sale on Steam all of the time. I think I only paid a couple of bucks for it way back when.

I try to avoid PC gaming if I can help it, as I just don't find the keyboard & mouse interface that compelling compared to the controller.  Besides, I don't want to pick up anything for my computer at the moment when I'm about to get a brand new one for Christmas.  I'll probably finally get around to picking up StarCraft 2 then, as I'll finally have a computer that can run it.

Seems like a shame to get a new computer and not do anything with it...
:P
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2011, 02:24:23 PM »
I try to avoid PC gaming if I can help it, as I just don't find the keyboard & mouse interface that compelling compared to the controller.

I don't want to shock you or anything, but controllers do exist for the PC.
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2011, 02:29:55 PM »
I try to avoid PC gaming if I can help it, as I just don't find the keyboard & mouse interface that compelling compared to the controller.

I don't want to shock you or anything, but controllers do exist for the PC.

I know that, and I don't give a damn.  PC games are designed for keyboard & mouse.  The only games I'd want to use a controller on are likely console ports, and I can just play those on the consoles I already own and probably enjoy them better.  Besides, people like Morari (elitist snobs) make me not want to associate with PC gamers.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2011, 03:05:25 PM »
Purchases made this week:
3DS:
you guys made me do it.

I just bought Super Mario 3D Land & SSFIV3D
B1G1 50% @ Kmart (= $60 after tax)

Wii:
Zelda Skyward Sword - $69.99

PC:
Portal 2 - $10.xx
Mass Effect 1 & 2 - $10
Orcs Must Die - $3.xx

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2011, 04:14:01 PM »
Ikaruga baby! Good mint copy also. Totally lucked out on this one.

Also have picked up Sin & Punishment Wii for 9.99 brand new since last posting. Best Buy in Canada is slashing the price but I don't know for how long. Might pick up Excitebots as well since that is at 9.99 also.

Meanwhile, HMV has Samba de Amigo at 9.99 and Sid Meier's Pirates at 16.00. Are these worth getting?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2011, 05:24:42 PM »
Seems like a shame to get a new computer and not do anything with it...
 :P: :

Not really, not when you consider that this laptop is already breaking in about 2 different ways right now, and is so outdated (2005, but it was a state-of-the-art gaming computer when it released) that it can't acceptably process mass amounts of moving images, such as giant flash banners and any video above DVD quality.  As I type this, my display has three sizeable lines running down the screen from where the display is breaking, and the battery charger broke a long time ago so the second this computer loses a charge it shuts down from 0% battery.

Yeah, I've been needing a new computer for a while now, and just having a functional computer capable of handling modern media is reason enough to own it.  Being able to run more-modern gaming is just a nice side benefit.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2011, 08:36:36 PM »

For Gamecube? Nice score. It really is a great game and still worth playing.

Meanwhile, HMV has Samba de Amigo at 9.99 and Sid Meier's Pirates at 16.00. Are these worth getting?

The controls in Samba de Amigo aren't great - they are kind of soft and don't always register high/low positions correctly. But it's still a fun party game as long as you don't feel a driving need to earn perfect scores on the highest levels. Have you checked GameStop pricing? At one point it was only $5 there...

Can't comment on Sid Meier's Pirates, but curious to hear if anyone else has played the game.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2011, 08:49:02 PM »
Besides, people like Morari (elitist snobs) make me not want to associate with PC gamers.

Elite: noun.
1. The best of a class.

Sorry, but it's true. Besides, we're certainly more tolerable than those masochist Sony apologists or the Xbox frat boys. ;)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2011, 08:58:21 PM »
Yes, and elitist means that that's how you see yourself, not that that's what you are. And personally, I find PC elitists like you far more annoying than the fanboys of the respective consoles.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2011, 10:28:43 PM »
Handheld master race is best master race.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2011, 10:40:44 PM »

I had to go to a Fry's in Las Vegas to get my copy of ikaruga.

Just so happened to already have a trip planned to go out there when I found that that was the only one that had the game in stock in an area anywhere near California.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2011, 09:42:03 AM »
I got Skylanders for PS3 for my  Birthday.  I have to say that so far the 3DS version is the vastly superior game.  In fact I'm hoping Skylanders 2 is the 3DS game with the Multiplayer modes in it.  In fact, I like those added to the 3DS version.  Those are good but, the base game not nearly as good.  Though Everything is Voice Acted.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2011, 09:44:01 AM »
Can't comment on Sid Meier's Pirates, but curious to hear if anyone else has played the game.
James (Crimm) has.  It is in one of his sick episodes on RFN I think last year.  He really likes the original game if memory serves.  I have to see if I can dig up the Episode.

Though looking at his Review he doesn't like the Wii game as much.
Also I found the episode that James talks about the game.  Its Episode 213. (If You want to skip right to it he starts at 11:15)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 09:53:08 AM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2011, 03:55:37 PM »
Got a blue Wii last night. Sexy. I'll post an unboxing photoessay blog at some point.

Now I gotta call up NOA and get my save data and DLC switched over...
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2011, 07:04:45 PM »
Will they allow that?  From what is said nintendo's pretty tight about transfering data on the WII, unless your old one died. 

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2011, 07:53:00 PM »
Zack's old Wii has been dead since... February? March?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2011, 08:28:28 PM »
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates (DS)

Trolling EB Games looking for something cheap while my wife was shopping. This caught my eye at $5 and fit nicely into my "pocket change" budget. Is it a good find worth playing, or should I have settled for some fast food instead?

Edit: Hmm... NWR review isn't exactly glowing, although the final verdict seems to be "fun despite notable flaws". For $5 that seems reasonable.  (Heck, for $5 I'd be willing to grab a second copy if I had someone local willing to play together.) http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/15609
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 08:37:40 PM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2011, 08:51:20 PM »
Payday the Heist (PC-Steam and PS3)

Basically you get into Hollywood shootouts with cops knocking over banks, robbing junkies and recusing a prisoner for some polite arabs. The game is completely co-op and the bots aren't too smart, so get some friends. There are 6 missions and they are pretty diverse. One is a running gun battle ala the movie Heat called "Heat Street", another has you robbing a diamond exchange with stealth, until the alarm goes off. The cops come in assault waves with casualties in the hundreds with special units intent on fucking you up.

Got it for $20, lots of fun with friends. If you like coop gameplay with games like L4D and Army of two, it a real blast.

Next buy on the list, either Portal 2 or Mario Kart 7.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2011, 12:03:28 AM »
I was very interested in Payday back when it came out (last month?). It'd be nice to have something to alternate with L4D2. It's way too expensive to justify buying without a demo though. Still,there's not a lot of things better than shooting cops.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2011, 12:21:54 AM »
I actually pirated a copy to see how well it would run in a VM since rebooting to PC is always a pain. It ran well enough in a pinch, but I would reboot to play it if I could at the time. At that point I figured why the hell not, it's plenty fun and brought it. I then threw the pirate files into where Steam would install it, saving me a large (re)install and a whole gig since the pirate version was very well compressed.

So yeah, pirate it, if you like it enough, go buy it. If you do get it for Steam, feel free to look me up for a game. Even when playing from the other side of the world, it's very playable since there isn't any "Verses". Although VS wouldn't really work... Some of the specials under control of a human would single handedly demolish a team since they don't have limitations like they do in L4D.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline leroypantweather

• Score: -6
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2011, 02:40:48 PM »

plus 1093746673

and on that note I picked up Project Diva 2 extend for psp, Corpse Party For psp, and Mario Land 3D.... to be fair starting after christmas I will be building my first computer and am very excited as I dont own either of the hd consoles

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2011, 03:47:53 PM »
I got the Sony PS3 Black Friday bundle from Target. I mostly got it for the BluRay player, but I'll probably be picking up the team Ico and GoW collections at some point.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2011, 05:45:37 PM »
plus 1093746673

I do love my Sega Nomad. :)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2011, 03:45:52 AM »
Will they allow that?  From what is said nintendo's pretty tight about transfering data on the WII, unless your old one died. 

Turns out they will NOT transfer my VC games OR save data. I have to get the old system repaired, which sucks because it's the whole reason I bought a new one in the first place. But whatever, they gave me a big fat discount on the repair charge. So I'll have two Wii's now--one for my VC games and old save files and the new one for...uh...Zelda, I guess.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.