Author Topic: Building A Computer - $800 Budget - New Build for 2021!!  (Read 104929 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Building A Computer - $800 Budget - New Build for 2021!!
« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2021, 10:04:31 PM »
Are the Ryzen 5 series coming back in stock now? I'm thinking of Upgrading my CPU/MB this year.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2021, 11:46:48 PM »
I've seen plenty online.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2021, 09:57:56 AM »
Are the Ryzen 5 series coming back in stock now? I'm thinking of Upgrading my CPU/MB this year.

There were quite a few Ryzen 5 5800x popping up online yesterday.
I bought the Ryzen 7 3700x w/o an issue. But the 5's seem to be really popular.

I'm currently on the hunt for the last piece I need and that's a RTX 3060ti or a RTX 3070, but prices seem to be going up and availability in the US being almost non-existent.

Do we have any non US people here that can help a brotha out?
The 3060ti's I was looking at were around $440, and the 3070 was around $530
3 fan, and preferably ARGB. If you got a line on one, willing to pick it up and ship it to me, let me know, would really appreciate it :)

thanks.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2021, 01:59:07 AM »
So I got my Radeon 580 in the mail today to upgrade my existing PC. Went to hook it up, only to realize that I need a new PSU w/ 1 extra 8 pin connector.....

I currently have  the Corsair vx450w
https://www.cnet.com/products/corsair-vx450w-power-supply-450-watt-series/

1 x power 24 pin ATX with detachable 4 pin section
1 x power 8 pin EPS12V with detachable 4 pin ATX12V section
1 x 6 pin PCI Express power
6 x 15 pin Serial ATA power
8 x 4 pin internal power

So my question is, does this PSU look like a good replacement PSU?
https://www.newegg.com/corsair-rmx-series-rm550x-cp-9020177-na-550w/p/N82E16817139231?Item=N82E16817139231

1 x ATX 24-PIN (20+4)
1 x EPS/ATX12V 8-PIN (4+4)
2 x PCIe 8-PIN (6+2)
6 x SATA (3 SATA)
4 x PERIPHERAL (4-PIN)
1 x FLOPPY DRIVE ADAPTER (4-PIN)

Is there anything I'm missing here?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2021, 08:37:57 PM »
So I was FINALLY able to get my hands on a RTX 30 series GPU
I ended up upgrading to a RTX 3070, for a bit of a premium over what I originally expected to pay for a GPU, but I was tired of looking and my build is nearing the 30 day mark on returnability.
Time=Money / Money=Time... I got tired of wasting time to save some money, so I spent some money to save some time.

If you're in the Bay Area and looking for a store with regular stock, instead of having to rely on scalpers and dodgy online sparring matches against sniper bots, just let me know. I'll tell you were to check.

Now I gotta find the time to actually build this thing, now that I think I have all the pieces.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 08:40:19 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2021, 02:40:33 AM »
Finding the time to build is its own challenge. I bought my parts over the summer but didn't get around to building it all until the Fall.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2021, 04:11:52 AM »
I spent the last 2 hours trying to figure this build out... cpu into motherboard. that's easy. check.
I started to do the PSU next, but wasn't sure how to route all the cables.... since the case has it underneath in a separate compartment accessible from the other side of the case....

So I tried to figure out the water cooler.... realized after I attached it to the case, that's the last thing I'm gonna put in, before I plug in the RAM and HDD's. But I did at least figure out how to set it up and how it needs to be set up, it will be a lot quicker the next time around.

so now I gotta take it back out, attach all the power cables, figure out the best way to get them all back to the PSU (detachable cables), then install the Water cooler again (which almost didn't fit... gonna be kinda tight, had to remove the rear fan and then put it back in afterwards)

But I think with a few more videos.... and a thorough reading of all the pamphlets, some trial and error, I think I got this (I hope.)

I feel like me 10 years ago would already have put this thing together. LOL
This whole thing looks extra complicated with all parts spread out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2021, 02:32:37 AM »
Ok, so I feel like this:
Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

is overly complicated and the instructions in the box are absolutely terrible at explaining what the F#(k I'm supposed to do to make this thing work.
Theirs a a dozen cables, and I then there's apparently 3 different ways to hook it up, all of them just as confusing as the next.... I had to take a break after getting the majority of complicated stuff setup. But going back and forth from a video to the digital "manual" and the booklet it came with, was just too much for me tonight.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2021, 12:32:37 PM »
Makes me glad I didn't get a liquid cooler!

I attached the cpu, ram, and ssd to the mobo before adding it to the case.

I stuck the PSU in first so I could play out the cords and get a feel for where they go, then I stuck in the mobo and settled where the various psu cords went best.

Stuck the gpu in the wrong slot and nothing would appear on the monitor, but fixed that and it all thankfully worked.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2021, 02:05:45 PM »
I actually bought an M2 hard drive.
No idea how to install it.... Hopefully I can do it with everything else in place.

Other than that, just need to connect the PSU, RAM, and GPU
Then call over my old HDD from my old computer..

Quick question tho....
I can do a new install of windows 10 using the same key from my current computer, right?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2021, 11:30:28 PM »
Update: all things plugged in.

I just plugged in power to the pump thing and it is working. No idea how to control it without the remote, but I'll watch another video for that... I believe I have to plug it into the MB somewhere, but they don't make that clear as to where...

Anyway

Next step is to hook it up to a monitor and make sure it actually boots up, and that I can load windows and start using this new beast.

Edit:
Connected a monitor, verified the monitor worked....
No signal from computer.
Tried plugging in directly to the GPU and the onboard graphics as well. No luck.

My dilemma though, is that the only HDD I bought was the M.2 chip. Do I need an SSD?
I also don't have a "new" disc drive to install any software disc.
I guess I'll have to commandeer one from an older computer and try to install software till I'm up and completely digital?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 12:07:55 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2021, 02:00:07 AM »
M2 is a type of connection I believe. I thought all M2s were SSDs, but it should work fine so long as it is an M2 whether it is an SSD or HDD. My mobo has multiple M2 spots so you could run one of each it you wanted.

And so long as you having an already existing windows key that is not from a pre-install in the past should should be good there. You might have to "de-authorize" your old computer from that windows license though.

Sweet lights on your fans!
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2021, 09:46:17 AM »
Yeah, I just ordered a new SSD as well.

But my main issue is actually on how to get he computer to boot to the BIOS so I can even recognize the M.2 as a drive
If I can get that to work, the rest becomes less of an issue.
Software I can deal with, non functional $2k worth of computer hardware that looks pretty when turned on, is not really what I was aiming for here. LOL

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2021, 12:45:31 PM »
This was similar to my issue and I had the gpu in the wrong slot apparently because when I moved it everything worked. Maybe try that?
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2021, 03:51:07 PM »
I'm taking all suggestions, so please keep em coming.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2021, 04:55:43 PM »
Update:
Hardware is working fine.... apparently always was.
After reading though trouble shooting forums, I found out that you have to connect through the Display Port until you install software in order to display on the screen. And you have to do it through the GPU because onboard will not work with the Ryzen 7 (or something like that....)

So I had to move upstairs to the carpeted part of the house, and test it using the monitor there, as that was easier than dragging a different monitor and cable all the way down stairs just to test the system out.

Now I have to figure out how to get Windows 10 on the computer. :)
hopefully a much simpler problem. Also bought the additional SSD for no reason. The M.2 was connected and working properly. I just couldn't tell because the display didn't come on.

Also the Liquid cooler wasn't as complicated as I thought now that I figured it out.
The video tutorial made it seem over complicated and the booklet it came with wasn't much more help. Now that I know what is needed, it really wasn't all that complicated after all.

So onto the next mission... Windows onto a USB Drive, and attempt to boot from there to install onto the M.2
So I actually have to pay for Windows now, huh...? :/  $100 for Pro version on a USB stick.
$140 to download it myself, and $199 straight through MS.

edit: Oh, and when I have the 2nd RAM Stick in, the computer won't display, so it was the RAM.
not sure if they both have to be in the DIMM2 slots or not.... I might just check to make sure it was in all the way, and then see if I can make it work on DIMM1 slots, otherwise, gotta make an exchange.
I
Final edit: all is good. All hardware working fine.
Windows installed, just need to get the key... Hopefully I can use my existing one from another computer.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 08:08:00 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2021, 01:13:24 AM »
Quickly on the ram, you need to make sure they are in the primary positions. They are typically the odd or even ports and have some sort of vague marking. If you have four ram slots and two sticks you aren't supposed to just fill the first two slots with ram. Gotta alternate them. Mobo may just ignore the sticks not conforming to that patter and be undetected.

I bought a new edition of Windows 10 Pro because I need the features. Paid $130 for a disk which was the cheapest listing from a pcpartpicker.com suggesting vendor (I'm not chancing any of those other vendors with cheaper offerings as many seemed to sketchy to be worth it) as I also bought a portable CD/DVD/BD player that plugs in via usb-c (and my mobo has integrated usb-c). I just plugged that in and booted from that and installed Windows directly.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2021, 10:42:19 AM »
I made a boot disc from my existing Win10 and put it in a MemStick. Worked fine, I just need a key.
Plan to purchase one, wanted advice on legitimacy of those cheaper sites offering then for $40-60. So thanks for answering that before I asked ðŸ˜

As for RAM. Yeah, they're alternating.
The DIMM1 slots were 1 & 3, DIMM2 were 2 & 4
I have them setup in 2 & 4, both working now.

What sucks, is if I had known I had to boot from the Display Port, and only on the GPU, I might've gotten this running last week. But I was trying to avoid assembly of any kind upstairs because it's all carpeted. Thanks to some trouble shooting forums, I was able to figure that out, and problem was quickly solved.

Now it's the way part of installing all the software.
I'll just borrow a disc drive from an older computer and hook it up  through a non mounted position (dangling from the open side) since there's no place for a disc drive in the case.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 10:44:04 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2021, 12:30:21 PM »
The lack of an optical media slot in the case was a problem for me when planning. Seems they are being phased out at this point, but I have a lot of media so didn't want to go without. Settling on an external drive fixed that problem and I just keep it in a drawer unless I need it.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2021, 10:50:59 PM »
that's a good backup plan. I'll probably do that, but I'm not spending any more on this build at this moment. (posting from new computer BTW :D)

other than still needing to see if I can transfer my Win10 license from my old computer, I'm just installing and setting stuff up.
Everything I need is online, so a disc drive isn't really gonna be needed since I also have DVD player hooked up to the TV if necessary, but I stream just about everything any way.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 02, 2021, 03:03:02 AM »
So my computer is up and running, I figured out how to access the M.2 drive finally.
couldn't have done it without a partner SSD I guess....
But, now I want to make the M.2 the boot drive and move the Windows install onto it.
Is that a wise decision?
I want my back up SSD for all my software and games
and then my old HDD to continue to be storage of all my old stuff.

I also need to figure out how to play with the lights through software, but that's a task for a different day.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2021, 02:14:55 PM »
Installing Windows on an SSD is a great performance improvement. I've never moved an install so no idea how easy or difficult it would be to complete.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2021, 02:25:46 PM »
I decided to not overcomplicate things and leave it alone.

Instead I need to figure out how to control the lighting through the motherboard by way of an app/program.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2021, 04:56:03 PM »
Did you hardware not come with it's own program? I'd check the manufacturer site and see if they have any tools linked there for you.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2021, 09:18:03 PM »
Turns out I hooked up the Cooler Master Water Cooler incorrectly.... I found another video on installation while trying to figure out how to control the lights....

I just need to connect an extra cable to make it all work.
(and that cable is in a very very hard place to reach w/o un-assembling a few items first :/)

here is the video that makes the installation SO SIMPLE, unlike the previous 3-4 vids and the absolutely useless instruction manual that it comes with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZuTIS_sIWs

I really wish this was the first vid I had run across.... -_-

edit:
So i followed that video and plugged in the missing cables. I restarted the computer, and Dragon Center still isn't reading the GPU, RAM, nor the CoolerMaster.
The lights all work, but I can't do software control over anything but the built in MB lights. :?

There are a 2 more cables in the bag, but unless I know where their supposed to go... I'm not sure what to do with them. The instructions are literally useless for hooking up the controller portions of this device.

edit2: downloaded the software for the RAM and the GPU, ARGB working on those from the dedicated software.
Dragon software reads the RAM as present, but doesn't control it like it's supposed to.

The COOLER MASTER LIQUID ML360R RGB on the other hand.... software working about as good as the instructions in the manual. (read: as not at all)
I load the latest firmware #0008, says it detects the cooler, and then wants to force an upgrade to "latest firmware #0023". Once that completes, it says it no longer detects the cooler master :/

this has just become another tomorrow problem.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 03:14:46 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »