Author Topic: Nintendo Announces Nintendo 3DS  (Read 42599 times)

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Announces Nintendo 3DS
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2010, 11:39:13 AM »
So strange! Then why or why is Pokemon being released for this gens DSI? Why wouldn't Nintendo have that as ne of its flag ship titles? Oh I got it! There will be special accessable areas/pokemon only available on the 3DS.

But does anyone else just want another year with the DSi? Havn't even gotten one yet, now I wont.

Shoot, what does this mean for Wii?

Someone tell me, will the PS3 need glasses?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 11:46:59 AM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2010, 12:01:07 PM »
PS3 needs expensive WWI Red Baron glasses.

Way too soon for any next-platform Pokemon.

Nintendo's carving a path to a real flagship portable title.  Think of what Nintendogs did for DS.  Make no mistake, it'll be RIDGE RACER!!!!!!!!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2010, 12:06:07 PM »
But to keep pokemon Gen 5 on the DS? very surprised I am. Corocoro said they are gonna have details on it in their next issue. I just can't see Nintendo not pushing their new system when pokemon gen 5 will be released so close to it.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2010, 12:12:35 PM »
This means we could actually have a Virtual Boy Virtual Console.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2010, 12:17:10 PM »
3DS is STILL a DS.  As if Pokemon would use any real features not already in the original Game Boy.  Maybe you get to blow on your pokemon using the mic.

How about people cry for that fully 3D RPG adventure they always ask for.  It can look just as good as Animal Crossing, but in 3 DIMENSORS.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2010, 12:19:21 PM »
But to keep pokemon Gen 5 on the DS? very surprised I am. Corocoro said they are gonna have details on it in their next issue. I just can't see Nintendo not pushing their new system when pokemon gen 5 will be released so close to it.
Let go of the Pokemon on DS thing. 3DS is a DS and Nintendo never specified which DS it was launching to, besides 3DS is fully BC so it doesn't really matter if it is releasing for DS, DSi or 3DS especially since it will probably be enhanced for 3DS anyway.

My question is does it enable 3D on all previous games? Will you be able to go back and play Metroid Prime Hunters in 3D?

I also like the idea of a VBVC to go along with all the other VC stuff that should be coming, like Virtual Handheld, which is long overdue.

edit: kinda beaten by Pro

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2010, 12:20:18 PM »
Freaky. Still, if you're going to do 3D at home, it should be without glasses, so I'm hopeful about this. And the name is actually pretty good.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline mac<censored>

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2010, 12:25:56 PM »
Freaky. Still, if you're going to do 3D at home, it should be without glasses, so I'm hopeful about this. And the name is actually pretty good.

Creepiest avatar ever...

*shudder*

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2010, 12:28:01 PM »
I forgot to mention it again....

E3 is gonna be sooo good this year!

I can't wait till 3WiiD gets revealed at E3 2011 ;)

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2010, 12:43:26 PM »
This is a surprisingly interesting announcement.  I was a bit worried about the move to a 3D Nintendo handheld as the DS seemed like the last bastion of 2D gaming for a while there.  However, some good 2D games have been made for the PSP and a lot of good stuff is hitting Wii Ware and XBox Live as well.  Meanwhile, Nintendo is leap frogging mere 3D graphics and including a 3D display?  All in all, I think this is a great move and it's definitely a pleasant surprise...  I may have to change my forum title to ambivalent.

By the way, there's no way this will use head tracking technology.  That is very limiting technology because it requires the player's human eyes to act as the game's "camera".  That means that the player can't actually move in the game world more than a few feet in any direction and the developer can't script any camera events (aside from cutting to black and cutting back in in a different location).  Any attempt at camera movement would break the illusion of 3D created by head tracking.

Even if you didn't understand all that, just take my word for it.  It's not head tracking.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2010, 12:44:49 PM »

Don't you mean "3DWii?" Pronounced: "three-dwii"
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2010, 12:50:28 PM »
The PS3, PS4, and XBox 720 will have 3D on TVs well before Nintendo does (I've already established why head-tracking is a waste of time) since it relies on expensive non-standard HD displays to work.

Nintendo's coup is going to be achieving mass market penetration with the first 3D system well in advance of everyone else by including it all together in a portable format.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2010, 12:58:07 PM »

Don't you mean "3DWii?" Pronounced: "three-dwii"

No, I meant 3WiiD, pronounced ThWiiDee.

This does lead back to some rumored speculation that was 1 + 1 but no one ever actually bothered to add it up.

There was always the speculation that Nintendo was gonna shrink the GC hardware for the next handheld since that is the trend they have been on, of previous gen hardware level handheld.

There was also the rumor that the GC hardware was actually hardwired for doing 3D. It was programmed into the chip but never actually used.

So if you put those together, you could have speculated this happening.

there is also another piece to this puzzle from way back when that actually makes the problem 1 + 1 + 1 = 3DS

Sharp was developing a 3D tech that uses 2 screens to produce a 3D image. This was a long time ago, but it was rumored to be in the next DS shortly after the DS was revealed.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6087254.html
RUMOR #2: The Nintendo DS will incorporate 3D technology from Sharp.

Source: UK-based online game mag Gamesindustry.biz.

The official story: A Sharp spokesperson did not confirm nor deny the story. However, given the company's history with Nintendo, the rep added that such news would not be a surprise. E-mails to Nintendo were not returned.

What we heard: Sharp actually stopped by the GameSpot offices to show off its impressive 3D technology, which displays two slightly askew images on a single screen to create the illusion of three dimensions. Apparently someone heard the words "two" and "screen," thought "DS," and started posting away. They might have also remembered the two companies' industry-shattering 1989 collaboration, the Sharp NES TV, and figured one loopy idea warrants another. Still, Nintendo and Sharp's silence could mean they're hiding something--that or they can't be bothered to respond to pesky reporters' idle gossip. It's doubtful that Nintendo could incorporate such premium technology into the DS and keep its price low enough to arouse interest in such a, er, unique system.

Bogus or not bogus?: The thing already has us seeing double. Making it 3D would make millions cockeyed. Bogus.
I guess it wasn't so bogus, but we don't know who is providing the screens or if it's the same tech.

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2010, 01:03:48 PM »
By the way, it's possible the system might use head tracking (if it can reliably find your head without you having to wear anything) as a way to calibrate the picture on the screen.  In other words, it would be the same kind of 3D seen in 3D glasses, but it won't look right if you view it from an extreme angle and would only look optimal if you had your head in just the right spot (or if your head was tracked to make all spots within a reasonable range optimal).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2010, 01:05:40 PM »
The PS3, PS4, and XBox 720 will have 3D on TVs well before Nintendo does (I've already established why head-tracking is a waste of time) since it relies on expensive non-standard HD displays to work.

Nintendo's coup is going to be achieving mass market penetration with the first 3D system well in advance of everyone else by including it all together in a portable format.

Did you see ThePerms post? They were doing headtracking using only the cameras in the Wiimotes. No new TV needed.

Besides, 3DTV's are kinda expensive, and just because you have a 120/240hz HDTV doesn't mean it is compatible with the tech. Also each TV manufacturer's 3DTV requires only that manufacturers 3DGlasses for it to even work and unless it's built into the TV, you need a synchronizing device to go with it (assuming your TV is even compatible). Each person that wants to watch 3DHDTV needs their own set of glasses (starting at $130+ each) and the synchronizing device is around $40.

I don't really see 3D TV taking off anytime soon since there are still too many hurdles to jump through for the average consumer to enjoy it(glasses, new TV and financial commitment).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2010, 01:07:32 PM »
By the way, it's possible the system might use head tracking (if it can reliably find your head without you having to wear anything) as a way to calibrate the picture on the screen.  In other words, it would be the same kind of 3D seen in 3D glasses, but it won't look right if you view it from an extreme angle and would only look optimal if you had your head in just the right spot (or if your head was tracked to make all spots within a reasonable range optimal).

DSi is already doing head tracking
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=30728.0

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2010, 01:18:15 PM »
Oh wow, looks like Nintendo has been busy!
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
This is both surprising and unsurprising at the same time.  It's unsurprising because when I read it was so Nintendo.  Of course Nintendo of all companies would bust out 3D without glasses.  It's surprising in that I didn't know that was a realistic option.  I'm actually having a hard time envisioning how this even works.

It will be hard to demonstrate this though in screenshots and videos.  I remember when the Virtual Boy came out the screenshots in the magazines just looked like Gameboy games only red.  The "thrill" of the 3D effect could only truly be promoted in a hands-on demonstration.

Though I do question what real impact this will have a gameplay.  It seems like a neat gimmick but what sorts of games can only be made in 3D?  The same types of games as before only now it's popping out in your face is the sort of superfiscial thing that Nintendo would make fun of Sony for doing.  Whether you love or hate the Wii remote, you have to admit that with a different controller there is some sort of obvious impact on how a game plays.  But this is not a lot different than a graphical update.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2010, 01:39:20 PM »
My guess is Miyamoto already had an idea for a game before they implemented this technology. I have no idea what it could be though.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2010, 01:43:36 PM »
  My guess is Miyamoto already had an idea for a game before they implemented this technology. I have no idea what it could be though. 

Miyamoto's "idea" for the DS was a port of Super Mario 64 with crappy controls so I'm a little cynical about whether or not a specific game idea influenced this concept.  Clearly Nintendo feels that it is very important to stand out and for their product to be unique and this does.  I think that would be the prime incentive, whether or not a specific game idea was involved.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2010, 01:46:41 PM »
No, his idea was Nintendogs because you could touch screen the cute little puppy and it makes a certain part of your brain go "awwwww"

Offline Bboy

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2010, 01:49:13 PM »
I remember something from CES where someone was showing off tech for a 3D TV without glasses, but the problem with it was that you had to sit within a specific area to see the 3D, which, of course, wouldn't be a problem with the DS, because everyone would be holding it in nearly the same place. If it's not too expensive, then thumbs up to Nintendo. For some reason I think 3D used on a handheld would be used more creatively (and less just to show off) than on a console. On a console I think 3D would just become more of a pissing contest for graphics, whereas a handheld is more limited, so it's not just going to be about the graphics. Just an idea, anyway.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2010, 01:55:20 PM »
No, his idea was Nintendogs because you could touch screen the cute little puppy and it makes a certain part of your brain go "awwwww"

Exactly, Nintendogs was Miyamoto's idea for DS not SM64DS.

Anyways I am SOOOO excited for this. I love the virtual boy in all its red headache causing glory and I can't wait to see what can be done with true 3D visuals on a handheld. Once again Nintendo shows they are far from being a complacent company, and are trying yet another gutsy move.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2010, 02:05:41 PM »

Miyamoto's "idea" for the DS was a port of Super Mario 64 with crappy controls so I'm a little cynical about whether or not a specific game idea influenced this concept.  Clearly Nintendo feels that it is very important to stand out and for their product to be unique and this does.  I think that would be the prime incentive, whether or not a specific game idea was involved.
Ian everybody knows that most  games released at launch are typically rushed.If I were to comment on a game at launch for the DS that best was a jumping off point for new ideas for the DS it would be XY/XX:Feel The Magic.
While I am sure you will comment on the minigames that the game had it was the idea of trying something new for the handhelds. Previously with the GBA(which I love) it was pretty rare for a game to have a new idea for a game.The DS broke way from the norm of the time and tried out new things and changed the landscape of gaming. If I was to name a Miyamoto game for the DS that really selled the concept for the DS it would be Nintendogs.

It seems that great minds think alike. GP and Shyguy beat me.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 02:41:10 PM by Maxi »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline TheBlackCat

• Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2010, 02:17:50 PM »
There are a number of technologies that can produce 3D effects without glasses.  One example is the previously mentioned multi-layered screen, but I think that can generally only produce as much depth as you have layers (unless you use complex phase-based interference .patterns, see my discussion of phased arrays for more on that)  Another option is to have thin slits in front of the lcd that block different pixels for different eyes.  So each eye will only see half the pixels.  I think it is somewhat dependent on eye distance and eye width, though (3D glasses are also dependent on eye width).  You can also do the "magic eye" stereogram thing, but that takes a lot of practice and is very tiring on your eyes, so it isn't really a general solution (although I did have a game years ago that could be played that way).  Others I have seen only work within a large 3D volume.

You can also used phased arrays, but I don't think that is feasible in the range your eyes can see so I won't bother going into more detail on that.  Another technique requires microscopic spinning light emitters, but that is not computationally feasible even if we had all the processing power currently available in the entire world.
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin