Author Topic: Games Industry Death Watch 2010-present  (Read 331207 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Games Industry Death Watch 2010-2012
« Reply #650 on: October 18, 2012, 05:20:14 PM »
They would have been a nice pickup for Nintendo. Starhawk is a kind of game you've never really seen on a Nintendo platform, and would be a nice niche to be able to fill internally.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #651 on: October 18, 2012, 05:23:04 PM »
Sony did nothing wrong, all they did was end their publishing agreement with the developer. It's not Sony's fault that the studio let themselves become dependent on Sony to survive. It was Lightbox who decided to fire their employees and switch to iOS games. The game flopped in terms of sales, so I don't blame Sony for deciding not to work with them again. I feel sorry for the employees who lost their jobs, but its in no way Sony's fault. The funny thing is that LightBox is made up of former Sony employees.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: October 18, 2012, 06:10:15 PM »
I thought Sony did a pretty good job of promoting the game too.  Everything I saw Sony related seemed to include Starhawk and I got multiple emails from Sony about it along with it being the first thing you saw entering the PSN store.  There was a code to join the beta in Uncharted 3.  So they tried.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: October 18, 2012, 11:50:55 PM »
Starhawk is a kind of game you've never really seen on a Nintendo platform, and would be a nice niche to be able to fill internally.
Isn't Battallion Wars series similar to it?

I don't know much about either series.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: October 18, 2012, 11:54:04 PM »
Starhawk is a kind of game you've never really seen on a Nintendo platform, and would be a nice niche to be able to fill internally.

I was thinking: "Starhawk = Star Fox"
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: October 19, 2012, 12:05:05 AM »

From what I've seen of Battalion Wars, there are similarities but they're overall pretty different.  Battalion Wars seems to be about commanding squads of pre-made mixed forces to take out an enemy stronghold/army.

By comparison, Starhawk is primarily a multiplayer team-based game where two giant armies of individual players clash with each other for control of a map, each player controlling a single character.  However, each individual player can call down a base structure at any time so long as they have sufficient resources, allowing them to change weaponry and even jump into vehicles.  One of those vehicles is the Starhawk, which is a bipedal robot that transforms into a jet for Star Fox-style dogfighting and aerial bombardment.  It's a game where the situation is constantly changing as players are constantly calling down new structures and vehicles and destroying each other's stuff.  It's a game I wish I had a lot more time to play in multiplayer, because it's a very fun multiplayer game.  The single player's pretty decent as well, but it's built more around a tower defense-like structure.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #656 on: November 23, 2012, 05:31:32 PM »
Eurocom has laid off at least 150 people, downsizing from over 200 employees down to about 50. They also plan to focus more on mobile games.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-11-23-eurocom-forced-to-make-large-number-of-redundancies
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: November 23, 2012, 06:07:13 PM »
They were never a top tier developer, but over the years they had shown then selves as fairly competent, although uninspired. Looks like Legend's Triple A awfulness did them in.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #658 on: November 23, 2012, 07:29:27 PM »
Thanks, Kotick.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #659 on: November 23, 2012, 07:42:08 PM »
Thanks, Kotick.

?
I assume that was sarcasm.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #660 on: November 24, 2012, 08:04:30 PM »
According to Joystiq, Sony's credit rating has been demoted to "junk" status. Can Sony survive if they keep refusing to shed their non-profitable divisions?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 08:28:50 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #661 on: November 24, 2012, 08:12:39 PM »
That happend a couple of weeks ago (though I think another credit agency just did it a few days ago). And most of their divisions are losing money

Offline MrPhishfood

• Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: November 24, 2012, 08:23:34 PM »
They will have to give up making Spiderman movies.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #663 on: November 24, 2012, 08:26:41 PM »
Sony could just give up on the handheld market and simply focus on home consoles, since it seems most people have no interest in the Vita.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: November 24, 2012, 11:17:57 PM »
Sony could just give up on the handheld market and simply focus on home consoles, since it seems most people have no interest in the Vita.

I would suggest that maybe there are people who want the Vita, but can't stomach the price of entry when considering the accessories needed, as well as a perceived lack of must-have games for the system, not just a general non-interest in the handheld at all.

Either way, although PSP didn't beat the DS in sales, didn't it do relatively well for Sony?  In general, I thought Sony's gaming division is one of the few profitable areas of the company.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #665 on: November 24, 2012, 11:22:31 PM »
I miss the days when it was just good ol' Sega vs. Nintendo - a two console generation each gen that consisted of a very heated rivalry between Mario and Sonic's owners. Such good times. Sure sure, there was the Atari Jaguar and the Turbo Grafx-16... or even the Neo Geo system... but those were all so minuscule in popularity that it really didn't even matter. It was NES vs. Master System, and Super NES vs. Genesis/MegaDrive. With that said...

I really hope to see Sony withdraw from the game industry and bow out by the end of this new generation. Cut their losses and move on - and hopefully rebuild their crumbling ecosystem of electronics in due time. But no more video games. Just stop.

I think a really good competition would arise from Nintendo vs. Microsoft alone. Japan vs. America, pretty much (in terms of video games, of course.) But would Samsung eventually step in like rumors are suggesting? I don't know how I'd truly feel about that.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #666 on: November 24, 2012, 11:23:04 PM »
It was, but even that is losing money for them now lol.

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #667 on: November 25, 2012, 08:28:03 AM »
Of the other two console players, Microsoft is more likely to bow out. They have gutted their first party development down to 343, Turn10 and the shambling rotting corpse of Rare and they care more about beating Apple/Google than Nintendo/Sony.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: November 25, 2012, 09:57:24 AM »
I really hope to see Sony withdraw from the game industry and bow out by the end of this new generation. Cut their losses and move on - and hopefully rebuild their crumbling ecosystem of electronics in due time. But no more video games. Just stop.

Alright, can you elaborate on why you think Sony should bow out? I think they've unquestionably put out the best lineup of 1st party titles (and a great selection of indie titles) this generation between them and Microsoft, so I don't see why the industry would be better with them bowing out as opposed to Microsoft. As I've said before, I hope none of the Big Three bow out of the industry.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: November 25, 2012, 11:48:09 AM »
I don't want any of the 3 to bow out either. However, I would like Sony and Microsoft to be more responsible financially. The whole take-a-loss-and-make-it-back-later does not work or at best, works poorly. They don't really make a profit when they stop taking losses. Rather, they make a profit once they make up for the losses they accrued which I don't think either Microsoft or Sony has done with 360 and PS3 yet respectively. It's bad for the industry when 2 console manufacturers as well 2 of the largest publishers are losing money.

If either Microsoft or Sony were to drop out, I would expect it to be Sony. They've lost more money. If I had to pick which one I would rather see drop out, it'd still be Sony. They bring almost nothing new to the table, besides disc formats. At least Microsoft is making an effort to not just ctrl-C Nintendo's ideas. Sony either goes 3rd party or they sell their assets. If Microsoft or Nintendo went for an IP grab, we're stuck with the same scenario we have with their games today: they'd be exclusive to 1 console. Imagine if Nintendo bought Sony's gaming assets (IPs, not technology) to be their Western/mature presence. That's the pipe dream of all pipe dreams especially considering Nintendo wouldn't even buy Sega when they were on firesale, but it's fun to think about. Ultimately, as long as there's at least 2 hardware manufacturers in the game to keep the other from becoming stagnant and/or arrogant, the industry should be fine. I just always hope 1 of them is Nintendo. It would be a sad day when the oldest of the 3 had to drop out because the industry was no longer sustainable.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 12:09:42 PM by Adrock »

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: November 25, 2012, 07:40:55 PM »

I would suggest that maybe there are people who want the Vita, but can't stomach the price of entry when considering the accessories needed, as well as a perceived lack of must-have games for the system, not just a general non-interest in the handheld at all.

Either way, although PSP didn't beat the DS in sales, didn't it do relatively well for Sony?  In general, I thought Sony's gaming division is one of the few profitable areas of the company.

I think the PSP concentrated most of its success in Japan, whereas the Vita is being outsold in Japan by . . . the PSP (last I saw).

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #671 on: November 25, 2012, 08:07:08 PM »
You know, it would be nice to have multiple companies making game systems, akin to smartphones, tablets, PC's, TV's, etc. There should be a standard upon which all game systems are based.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: November 25, 2012, 08:32:11 PM »
You know, it would be nice to have multiple companies making game systems, akin to smartphones, tablets, PC's, TV's, etc. There should be a standard upon which all game systems are based.

That's been tried a few times and has always been a colossal failure. Also, Nintendo would never let that happen.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #673 on: November 25, 2012, 08:53:31 PM »

Well Mr. Dyack, I must be forced to remind you that TOO HUMAN SUCKS BALLS
Tutorial box out.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #674 on: November 25, 2012, 09:04:09 PM »

That's been tried a few times and has always been a colossal failure. Also, Nintendo would never let that happen.

I'm talking about making the game platform a standard piece of tech that any company can make; like a TV, mobile phone, tablet, PC, etc. Game systems shouldn't be this proprietary.

I guess what I'm thinking of is something like Android or Windows, where there are multiple devices from multiple manufactures using a standard OS.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 09:08:55 PM by tendoboy1984 »