Author Topic: Games Industry Death Watch 2010-present  (Read 332618 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Re: Games Industry Death Watch 2010-2012
« Reply #525 on: January 15, 2012, 07:26:38 PM »
Just one correction here: in the game, North Korea doesn't become a super power overnight.

I knew its something like that, but that's still way too short of a time for a 3rd world backwater to rise up to a position where it could conquer not only South Korea and Japan, but also the USA. That is kinda as stupid as the notion of the USA becoming a global power 16 years after its independence and then invading Great Britain. Sure the USA is powerful enough to do that now, but a mere 16 years after independence? So I didn't mean overnight literally, but 16 years is still a very small amount of time as far as history is concerned.

Not to mention that the Japanese aren't exactly a people who are known to surrender easily, so I think that game's notion that Japan folds and gets annexed without a fight is absurd.

It has taken China about thirty years to go from a country pretty much in the stone age to an economic juggernaut that is nipping at the heels of the US. Who knows where they will be in two more decades?

The stone age? Did you know China is the country which invented paper, the compass, and gunpowder? Heck, if anything they were one of the very first countries to emerge OUT OF the stone age.

I was refering to China getting out of the hole that colonialism and communism dug for them. I once collaborated on a project at my college for a economic and political science convention centered around China's rise in the last thirty years.

Well, let's get this back on topic.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: January 21, 2012, 04:23:49 PM »
lol, ill get into this discussion later

but a short, China is non-aggressive. The average Chinese person wants to buy you not kidnap you...if that is a good enough analogy.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: January 21, 2012, 06:32:05 PM »
but a short, China is non-aggressive.

Tell that to Tibet.
is your sanity...

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: January 21, 2012, 07:50:15 PM »
sooo... how 'bout dem videogame studios shutting down?

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: January 22, 2012, 01:08:36 AM »
Zynga looks to be heading towards a slow death as it's business model falters. That is one "Games" publisher I would be happy to consign to the mists of history.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #530 on: January 22, 2012, 01:51:15 AM »
but a short, China is non-aggressive.

Tell that to Tibet.

This gave me lols.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: May 05, 2012, 05:26:45 AM »
An in depth look into the death of Free Radical.

I am surprised any games get made, let alone good ones considering how dysfunctional the developer/publisher relationship is.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: May 05, 2012, 06:38:21 PM »
I am surprised any games get made, let alone good ones considering how dysfunctional the developer/publisher relationship is.

Indeed, oohhboy. Have you read the anonymous stories that get sent in to the Penny Arcade's newest creation? The Trenches: http://trenchescomic.com/tales/post/9810

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: May 05, 2012, 07:36:55 PM »
Yeah I read every single one and I can relate. Power hungry idiots, zero tolerance rule use, ignorant bosses, hopeless coworkers, useless procedures without reason. Not something just confined to the software industry, but it certainly magnified in it since it draws in people with passion, something to give and it slams into a wall of soulless MBAs.

When a game is buggy I know it's not QA fault most of the time. I have sent in my share of bug reports that thankfully got fixed. But here a quick example of how not to do QA with your customers. It's a link to the Trendy forums on Steam, the guys who made Dungeon Defenders. Why you ask? It's the broken bug process in action. I didn't link to the main forums because it gets worse.

On the Mac, for a lot of people the game doesn't run at all, me included, It has been like this for months and it didn't have to be like this. You see they had a Beta period for the Mac and people quickly started logging bugs with them. It became pretty obvious that the game wasn't ready to go gold on Mac since it had multiple show stopping and performance bugs. 24 hours later they released the game to the general public as is without warning or a single fix. Day one, I gave them my bug reports.

Week after week go by without a fix for most of these bugs while the company releases DLC after DLC after DLC barely testing them, more often than not breaking the game in the process. Bug reports flood in and patches get released daily. But there is another problem. Because of how the game engine is set up, the files have to be overwritten wholesale, rather than modifications made. So when you want to tweak a number, the tweak becomes a 100  MB patch. Not only that, the Beta/bug testing process has been captured by a select few instead of being a public consultation process, so you got a bunch of idiots railroading whatever balance changes they want instead of taking care of basic stability issues. The developers in an attempt to be "Responsive" bows before them meaning even if they wanted to take care of the basics, they are too busy making balance changes and cranking out DLC to do proper fixes. Since patch speed is the measure of a good patch, once a balance change is made it goes live in hours, wasting hundreds of MB of bandwidth, GBs in a week, then the rollback comes when the patch breaks the game too much and starts affecting some of those testers. Then they break the patching process itself requiring the entire game to be rolled back.

The testers then defend the game tooth and nail since they now control the game. The developers then hide behind these people, have an opaque debugging process where finding the "Right" channels is the key or else nothing gets fixed. The poor tech support guy on the forums can offer nothing more than "turn off the sound". They had some significant technological debt when they first released, but they never took the time to repay it or even maintain it. Actual, proper, methodical testing is non-existant. So now even on the PC side the game is starting to collapse under it's own weight.

It's on a bundle right now, but please don't buy it or this game especially if your on a Mac. It will cause only grief.

Offline Uncle_Optimus

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: May 06, 2012, 03:25:34 PM »
An in depth look into the death of Free Radical.

Thanks for the link.
Indeed, it is likely no coincidence that we see so many recent stories about developers swearing off publisher relationships now that they have self-publishing platforms to release on.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #535 on: August 17, 2012, 05:48:15 PM »
So OnLive has laid off ALL of its employees, yet the company somehow claims they are "just fine". I don't know any companies that fires its entire staff and is fine.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/176180/OnLive_lays_off_all_employees.php
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: August 17, 2012, 05:49:21 PM »
So OnLive has laid off ALL of its employees, yet the company somehow claims they are "just fine". I don't know any companies that fires its entire staff and is fine.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/176180/OnLive_lays_off_all_employees.php

Well, obviously the employees now reside in the Cloud as well.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #537 on: August 17, 2012, 06:02:36 PM »
Apparently the company froze so they had to turn it off and back on again.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: August 17, 2012, 07:36:16 PM »
OnLive? I thought they were doing quite well?

It doesn't matter if OnLive goes down, because Sony now owns Gaikai, so the future of cloud gaming is still bright. Now if only the internet companies removed bandwidth caps and lowered prices / raised speeds...
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #539 on: August 17, 2012, 07:49:20 PM »
Cloud gaming will never be big, the whole idea is bad. You essentially just rent the game, even when you "buy" it. You lose the games if the service shuts down, and you can't even play your games if the Internet goes down. Add in that broadband is still not available everywhere (it's expensive for the providers to add it to rural areas). OnLive was doing OK, but not that great.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: August 17, 2012, 08:55:20 PM »
They only laid off AT LEAST HALF of their employees, they're just fine!
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: August 17, 2012, 09:16:26 PM »
Cloud gaming will never be big, the whole idea is bad. You essentially just rent the game, even when you "buy" it. You lose the games if the service shuts down, and you can't even play your games if the Internet goes down. Add in that broadband is still not available everywhere (it's expensive for the providers to add it to rural areas). OnLive was doing OK, but not that great.

The same negative points can be said of Netflix, Pandora Radio, Spotify, and countless other streaming services.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #542 on: August 17, 2012, 10:00:21 PM »
Except those are all subscription services, there is a huge difference. You aren't paying to get individual movies or songs. You aren't paying $20 to essentially rent a movie (and with Netflix, you can get physical discs too). And you don't even pay for Pandora, so that is moot for them anyways. With OnLive, you pay $40-$60 to "buy" a game that you have to be online to play and that you lose if/when OnLive goes down.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #543 on: August 17, 2012, 10:01:47 PM »
It doesn't matter if OnLive goes down, because Sony now owns Gaikai, so the future of cloud gaming is still bright. Now if only the internet companies removed bandwidth caps and lowered prices / raised speeds...
LOL
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: August 17, 2012, 10:45:43 PM »
This will never happen, but Nintendo could buy OnLive and use its streaming infrastructure for a cliud based Virtual Console service that charges a monthly or yearly fee for access to their games.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: August 17, 2012, 11:12:21 PM »
If OnLive goes down that's just fine.... just means less competition for Ouya. ;)
is your sanity...

Offline SonofMrPeanut

• (illegitimately)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: August 18, 2012, 03:53:57 AM »
If OnLive goes down that's just fine.... just means less competition for Ouya. ;)

Except Onlive is working with Ouya.  So...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 03:55:35 AM by SonofMrPeanut »

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: August 18, 2012, 08:02:40 AM »
http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/8/17/3250589/onlive-official-layoffs-statement

Onlive has been. Aquired by a newly formed company with substantial funding. Still the rumors are going to hurt them in the long run. I'd still say thieronly true hope is to grab onto one of the big three or steam and that won't happen due. To microsoft not needing them and steam and nintendo not having an intrest in that yet.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #548 on: August 18, 2012, 10:43:37 AM »
Cloud gaming will never be "big", it will have its niche but will never become the main way of gaming because the negatives outweigh the positives. OnLive's only real positive is being able to play games your PC normally couldn't handle. Maybe have it be a back-up option you get when you buy a retail game (like how many DVD/Blu-ray Discs now come with a free digital copy).

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: August 18, 2012, 11:30:46 AM »
If they reworked it as a rental service a la GameFly where you paid a certain amount and could play whatever you wanted it would be a lot more attractive. It wouldn't matter anymore that you lose the ability to play when the company goes away if it were just subscription-based. I'm not sure the publishers would let that happen, though.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent