Author Topic: Games Industry Death Watch 2010-present  (Read 333428 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Games Industry Death Watch 2010
« Reply #275 on: April 13, 2010, 11:30:23 PM »
It may have been ported by another company but Valve is the creator and EA was the publisher.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #276 on: April 13, 2010, 11:33:15 PM »
Valve did the 360 version in-house, but the PS3 version was ported by another group. Gabe Newell is not down with the Triple, to put it mildly.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 14, 2010, 12:43:40 PM »
That's what I heard. Valve does not like developing for the PS3.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 15, 2010, 08:08:58 PM »
Newell said laziness was a factor. I however think its business doing other cooler ****.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 16, 2010, 12:25:29 AM »
Gabe Newell hated on the Mac for a long time, and now Steam is coming out for OS X, so they could change their mind and be more supportive of Sony, or even Nintendo, in the future.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Galford

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 20, 2010, 12:18:41 AM »
Wow my login still works. ;D

Gabe Newell has stated more then once that hell will freeze before he codes for the PS3.
Some business types at Valve have made noise about supporting the PS3, but that's about it.
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 20, 2010, 07:24:12 AM »

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 20, 2010, 11:27:18 AM »
Is this really a surprise?
Xbox is basically a pc so its cake for there pc game to go there,  ps3 isn't so they don't want to do it.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 20, 2010, 11:44:07 AM »
From what I understand, the PS3 with its cell processors is VERY difficult to develop for.
is your sanity...

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 20, 2010, 06:08:51 PM »
But apparently its easier to do than add meaningful waggle to a Wii version with lower rez graphics or else we'd be seeing Wii60 releases instead of PS360 ones.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: April 20, 2010, 10:49:00 PM »
hehe the dot reply was for some xbox modding bot.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 20, 2010, 11:31:52 PM »
hehe the dot reply was for some xbox modding bot.

That's why we don't reply to the bots. you'll seem crazy replying to a non-existent post even if you quote it.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 21, 2010, 02:13:10 AM »
But apparently its easier to do than add meaningful waggle to a Wii version with lower rez graphics or else we'd be seeing Wii60 releases instead of PS360 ones.

I know what you mean. I am sorta hoping when the PS3's motion thing takes off we might see better multi-platform support on the Wii, because if other consoles also have motion control then it makes it harder for 3rd parties to come up with excuses for not getting it right.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 21, 2010, 02:14:46 AM »
It will just give them a platform to do their motion on while they continue to ignore the Wii.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 22, 2010, 05:24:58 PM »
SEGA lays off 73, US studio to focus on "Downloadable Games"
Sega was hit today by 73 layoffs as part of a business reorganization   that will see the company focusing more on social and digital games.

According to a statement received by 1UP, 36 employees in Sega's San   Francisco office and 37 in London have been made redundant as part of   the reorganization. The San Francisco office will now focus   exclusively on digital and downloadable content (as the newly formed   "Digital Division") while London will act as the company's   administrative hub, as well as handle traditional console and PC games.

"In recent years, digital platforms have taken an increasing share of   video gaming revenues and we believe this growth is set to continue,"   said the statement. "Sega has already enjoyed commercial success within   this new and exciting gaming medium and it is now the company's   intention to fully embrace change and set a strategy not only to   maximize revenues within the digital space but, through innovation and   quality, take up a leadership position."

Speaking to 1UP, Sega West president Mike Hayes described the move as   "chapter two" in the company's continued evolution after being a   hardware manufacturer.

"It's quite interesting, if you look at Sega's relatively short modern   history when we reinvented ourselves as a multi-platform publisher, the   excitement for us was being on the PlayStation 2 and Gamecube and Xbox,   and we sort of travelled a path where our market share has increased   significantly over the past five years in both North America and in the   European territories," said Hayes.

"[The new focus on digital media] is part of our ongoing expansion,   which is great. We have a very strong base now in the traditional   business. We still want to grow, we still want to be very   competitive, but in terms of development and growing our overall market   share, part of that sort of journey for Sega, sort of like chapter two,   is this big digital arena," he continued. "It's new, it provides new   outlets for us. We can do different things in terms of gaming   experiences, which is interesting for us. So in a way it's sort of a   part of the ongoing rebirth of Sega as a multi-platform agnostic   publisher of games."

According to Hayes, the layoffs were mainly caused by Sega's U.S. and   London offices having different employees fulfilling the same tasks -   now that both divisions have been further consolidated, according to   Hayes, some of these employees are no longer necessary to the company.

"There was a lot of duality, there was a lot of doing the same work   twice," said hayes.

"There was a lot of copying between both San Francisco and London. So   it's kind of a natural question of how do we become more efficient and   affective as an operation, and that's what the exercise has been."

According to Hayes, the move will not impact Sega's current schedule,   nor will it affect the number of traditional retail games it releases.   1UP had a chance to speak with Hayes about the company's new direction,   as well as the future of its traditional console games, and will   publish the full interview tomorrow.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 22, 2010, 10:57:04 PM »
Sega Europe seemed to be more in tune with their fans then Sega America. This should be interesting.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 24, 2010, 10:09:45 PM »
Infinity Ward is Dead!!!
"They're scared shitless," the source said of Activision management.  "They never saw this coming. They can't believe what's going on. At  first they gave us some bullshit about moving up payments of all the  money they owe us to sooner increments. That was when [designer] Todd  [Alderman] and [engineer] Frank [Gigliotti] left. But with the  announcement of Respawn and all the people leaving, they just got there  heads in their hands."

The Infinity Ward insider painted the former bosses in a positive light,  blaming Activision for withholding Modern Warfare 2 payments. "They  fired the two most amazing leaders we've ever seen, and then shafted us  all out of a lot of money that was promised to us...there is nothing  they can do to gain our trust or respect. And I'm pretty sure they know  it now."

"IW as you know it is dead...and it will continue to crumble. There  are a lot more veterans who are definitely going to leave."

supposedly the account is over 20 people leaving IW.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 10:18:24 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #292 on: April 24, 2010, 11:00:17 PM »
Yeah I figured that that was going to happen. I wonder what Respawn is going to work on now?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 24, 2010, 11:02:47 PM »
Infinity Ward is Dead!!!
"They're scared ****less," the source said of Activision management.  "They never saw this coming. They can't believe what's going on. At  first they gave us some bull**** about moving up payments of all the  money they owe us to sooner increments. That was when [designer] Todd  [Alderman] and [engineer] Frank [Gigliotti] left. But with the  announcement of Respawn and all the people leaving, they just got there  heads in their hands."

The Infinity Ward insider painted the former bosses in a positive light,  blaming Activision for withholding Modern Warfare 2 payments. "They  fired the two most amazing leaders we've ever seen, and then shafted us  all out of a lot of money that was promised to us...there is nothing  they can do to gain our trust or respect. And I'm pretty sure they know  it now."

"IW as you know it is dead...and it will continue to crumble. There  are a lot more veterans who are definitely going to leave."

supposedly the account is over 20 people leaving IW.

Hopefully, this will lead to Activision's stock tanking over the next week or so.  It's about the best we can expect to bother them at this point.  I feel sorry for those still at Infinity Ward, though I suppose there is the possibility of Activision trying to keep them from leaving with lucrative new contracts.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 25, 2010, 01:56:18 AM »
Hopefully the talent that's leaving IW will start up some new studio and begin work on the same great games as before. They won't be able to do COD anymore obviously, but they could start a new franchise with a new name that would be more or less identical to COD and that would be just as fine by me.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 25, 2010, 03:09:52 AM »
Hopefully the talent that's leaving IW will start up some new studio and begin work on the same great games as before. They won't be able to do COD anymore obviously, but they could start a new franchise with a new name that would be more or less identical to COD and that would be just as fine by me.

That's exactly what they did last time this happened, creating Call of Duty because they couldn't make Medal of Honor anymore. If EA weren't already rebooting MoH it would be funny to give the IP to Respawn.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #296 on: April 25, 2010, 07:44:25 AM »
Hopefully, this will lead to Activision's stock tanking over the next week or so.  It's about the best we can expect to bother them at this point.  I feel sorry for those still at Infinity Ward, though I suppose there is the possibility of Activision trying to keep them from leaving with lucrative new contracts.
Right now, they're trying to keep people around by giving them the bonuses for the people who left. Of course, once the check clears nothing's stopping them from hooking up with Respawn...
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #297 on: April 25, 2010, 10:17:37 AM »
If they are under contract, then they can't just leave after getting their bonuses.

Let those ungrateful brats leave. Infinity Ward and Activision Blizzard will be fine without them.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 25, 2010, 10:50:34 AM »
If they are under contract, then they can't just leave after getting their bonuses.

Let those ungrateful brats leave. Infinity Ward and Activision Blizzard will be fine without them.

Why are you taking the side of Activision in this? Why would anyone take their side in this?
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 25, 2010, 10:54:33 AM »
TJ has a penchant for being on the wrong side of every argument lately.

I think he's in it for the drama