Author Topic: Games Industry Death Watch 2010-present  (Read 332468 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Games Industry Death Watch 2010
« Reply #225 on: March 10, 2010, 09:52:09 PM »
16:9 is already cramped

:|

I wish there were more I could say to that.

Maybe I should have explained more. I hate it when movie studios release something in wide-screen and then just add black borders at the top and bottom of the screen (what's worse is the studios that for some reason do letterboxing and windowboxing at the same time, resulting in the whole picture being surrounded by black borders). Some actually get it right, as well as all video game companies, by having 16:9 pictures actually fill the screen (most TV shows get this right too).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 10, 2010, 10:04:55 PM »
Well there is Widescreen 16:9(1.78:1) and then there is Theater Wide 21:9 (2.35:1)

if you have a widescreen TV and your movie has black bars on the top and bottom, then your movie was shot and displayed in full frame Theater Wide Display.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 10, 2010, 10:10:33 PM »
Yup....

That's what's called "Anamorphic" widescreen.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #228 on: March 10, 2010, 10:32:33 PM »
Anamorphic just means the picture is actually stored "squished," relying on the display to stretch it to proper horizontal ratio.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 10, 2010, 10:33:54 PM »
What doesn't make sense is that if they were just introducing the HD market with all new TV's and widescreen was to be the standard, then why not bump the standard up to "Theater Wide" WS and use that as the HDTV standard?

It sucks to have 16:9 as the standard and movie makers want to up the ante to extra widescreen when everyone just started buying WS TV's barely 10 years ago. Weren't movies already being shot in that frame before 16:9 was standard?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 10, 2010, 10:36:13 PM »
What doesn't make sense is that if they were just introducing the HD market with all new TV's and widescreen was to be the standard, then why not bump the standard up to "Theater Wide" WS and use that as the HDTV standard?

It sucks to have 16:9 as the standard and movie makers want to up the ante to extra widescreen when everyone just started buying WS TV's barely 10 years ago. Weren't movies already being shot in that frame before 16:9 was standard?

Indeed.  Coincidentally, I'm watching my Blu-Ray of Evangelion 1.11 right now (which was a theatrical movie in both Japan and limited theaters in North America), and it's perfectly sized to my 24 in. widescreen LCD with no bars or stretching.  It's rather glorious, actually.  How I wish all my movies would do that, because although after a few minutes of focusing on a "widescreen" movie I can no longer see the bars they're still annoying.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #231 on: March 10, 2010, 10:40:10 PM »
At least some movies put the subtitles and closed captions in the bottom black bar, others us letterboxing and still put the closed captions over the movie.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 11, 2010, 12:46:28 AM »
People aren't buying $60 games like they used to.

When did they ever? The $60 a pop games is a new phenomenon of this generation. One of the reasons Nintendo is the market leader is because they stayed at the tried and true $50 MSRP for games. The reason the PS3/360 is struggling is because of expensive consoles and also expensive games.
is your sanity...

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 11, 2010, 01:09:06 AM »
Actually, that's why I think handheld gaming is even more popular now. Most games are 20-30 bucks brand new and they are just as fun.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #234 on: March 11, 2010, 01:18:23 AM »

...Don't forget how lots of computer monitors were manufactured to 16:10 (wtf) in addition to 16:9 and 4:3, and how lots of 4:3 pre-HDTVs included 16:9 modes, plus there's a specification called "Super Widescreen" TV that's been in the conceptual stage designed specifically to display Hollywood's 2.35:1 pictures.  Just throw more monkeys in that barrel.

The end result is:  no matter what TV/monitor you buy, you will OFTEN end up wasting screen space with black bars, somewhere.

^ All this fuels a big part of my Anti-Industry stance.  I once planned on ranting on the subject in detail for my site, and I was using the screenshots below as part of my research/presentation.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=22602.msg592023#msg592023

Example,

- Misconception:  Some Wii games, like Capcom's, don't display in "full" "widescreen," whereas Nintendo's display fine.
- Truth:  Capcom's (and others') games are designed to proper 4:3 "computer SD" specs, 640x480 initial, meant to be stretched for an "effective" 16:9 resolution of ~853x480  (on a widescreen SDTV, the 480 height doesn't change (pixels are wide instead of square), so the math is based on the 480 lines that "stay true":  16 * 480 / 9 = 853.33).  HIGH DEFICIENCY TELEVIZIONS do NOT display SD NTSC content correctly -- they cram all NTSC 720x480 pixels (640 plus the 80 "unused" pixels on the sides) into the viewable space, retaining the CRAP REGIONS OF THE IMAGE we're traditionally not meant to see.  On classical TVs, only the middle ~640 pixels of the picture were actually viewable (on older computers, everything was viewable, so 4:3~640x480 was a clean and straightforward standard), becuz the sides were essentially overscan areas of the tube that were hidden under the TV's outer frame, therefore any "vertical black bars" would've been chopped, plus TV networks made sure their watermarks fit inside the viewable area correctly.  The  assumption was "4:3 can be converted to 16:9", but 720x480 ISN'T 4:3, it's 3:2, so WHAT, THE ****, WENT WRONG, INDUSTRY?

HDTVs should have ignored/chopped off the sides, but don't.  Nintendo overcame this HDTV "SHORTCOMING" by drawing most of their games at 686x480 inside the video signal instead of 640x480 -- 640x480 is ideally supposed to be stretched to "16:9", but in real-life the effective viewing ratio on the TV is about "14.22:9" (the leftover 1.78 = empty black bars); 686x480 yields a real-life viewing ratio of about "15.24:9" remedying the "black bar" effect.

I hate everything.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 01:20:33 AM by NinGurl69 *huggles »
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 11, 2010, 02:37:16 AM »
awesome info! Ningurl69*huggles!
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 11, 2010, 02:43:57 AM »
People aren't buying $60 games like they used to.

Maybe the publishers should stop pricing every B and C list game at 60$ then.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 11, 2010, 06:34:55 PM »
" Cing Incorporation, the developer of Nintendo's Another Code series, Hotel Dusk: Room 215 and Little King's Story, have filed bankruptcy with debts of 256 million yen (US$2.8 millions)."

I loved LKS too :(.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #238 on: March 11, 2010, 06:36:43 PM »
Check the previous page, that was already reported in this threat a few days ago.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #239 on: April 05, 2010, 01:55:51 PM »
Sega confirmed today that they are shutting down Sega Studios San Francisco. The studio developed Iron Man, Golden Axe: Beast Rider, and just finished Iron Man 2. The studio was mostly made up of people from Secret Level. The wording makes it sound like the employees were fired, not just re-assigned to other internal studios.

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/sega-closes-iron-man-2-developer/

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #240 on: April 05, 2010, 02:28:21 PM »
Sega confirmed today that they are shutting down Sega Studios San Francisco. The studio developed Iron Man, Golden Axe: Beast Rider, and just finished Iron Man 2. The studio was mostly made up of people from Secret Level. The wording makes it sound like the employees were fired, not just re-assigned to other internal studios.

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/sega-closes-iron-man-2-developer/

Considering how terrible the games they've released allegedly are, I won't shed a tear over this developer closing.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #241 on: April 05, 2010, 02:36:26 PM »
Maybe, but it's never good to see a group of developers suddenly lose their job.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 05, 2010, 03:07:25 PM »
Depends, have they made any Wii games outside the shitty movie tie in trash (IRON MAN)?
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 05, 2010, 03:46:56 PM »
Maybe, but it's never good to see a group of developers suddenly lose their job.

I think of this as natural selection.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 05, 2010, 09:26:32 PM »
im with KDR here. I'd just fire the programmers though, the art in those games was well done.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 05, 2010, 09:31:19 PM »
Depends, have they made any Wii games outside the ****ty movie tie in trash (IRON MAN)?

Does it really matter if they made Wii games or not?  They made bad games, and bad movie tie-ins at that.  I'll never understand this mentality that it's fine if studios close up, so long as they hadn't made any Wii games.  I wish the people who worked at that studio the best because there's a lot working against you when you make a movie-licensed game that's all out of your control, but the studio made bad games.  I won't miss them.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 06, 2010, 05:31:50 AM »
I thought the Iron Man game was actually somewhat decent and sold well?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline fiendcode

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 06, 2010, 06:15:39 AM »
Depends, have they made any Wii games outside the ****ty movie tie in trash (IRON MAN)?
They only made the 360/PS3 versions of Iron Man.  A2M did the Wii version.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #248 on: April 06, 2010, 06:19:10 AM »
From what I heard the Iron Man game was a good game. The only bad game that TJ Spike posted was that Golden Axe:Dragon Rider game. I think it was buggy and was short in length.

And guys not all movie games are bad.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 06, 2010, 11:40:11 AM »
From what I heard the Iron Man game was a good game. The only bad game that TJ Spike posted was that Golden Axe:Dragon Rider game. I think it was buggy and was short in length.

And guys not all movie games are bad.
True, but the problem is that they are not common enough. For every Goldeneye we get, we also get The Matrix... many more times.

@broodwars: Why do you take my comments seriously?
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?