Author Topic: Games Industry Death Watch 2010-present  (Read 333509 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Games Industry Death Watch 2010
« Reply #125 on: February 02, 2010, 05:59:27 PM »
But then again, I see Cursed Mountain on Amazon for only $19.99 so what's the deal? It has great reviews, and it has a great price, so why aren't people buying this? It looks like a great impulse buy.

Why are you saying a game that averaged 68% on Gamerankings got "great reviews"?  It looks like it got some decent reviews, okay reviews and just outright poor reviews.  There are way too many 50% scores for me to not be skeptical.  Great games don't get ANY reviews in that score range.  Cursed Mountain got mixed reviews.  That's an honest assessment.

So combine that with the fact that I had no idea this game was even out (I remember it being announced way back but that's it) and of course the game didn't do well.  There's no advertising and the game didn't get good enough reviews to attract attention on it's own merits.  It looks like a mediocre game with no marketing.  It's supposed to bomb.  That means the world still makes sense.

As for owning Namco-Bandai, there's enough valuable IP in there that it would be worth it for any company that can afford to do so.  Though I have a feeling if Nintendo bought them Namco would lose it's identity.  Some of Namco's best games feel pretty much NOTHING like a Nintendo game.  I get a feeling instead of Soul Calibur we would get "Nintendo's Soul Calibur" which would not feel right.  Namco reminds me more of Konami, Capcom and Sega.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 02, 2010, 06:19:54 PM »
As for owning Namco-Bandai, there's enough valuable IP in there that it would be worth it for any company that can afford to do so.  Though I have a feeling if Nintendo bought them Namco would lose it's identity.  Some of Namco's best games feel pretty much NOTHING like a Nintendo game.  I get a feeling instead of Soul Calibur we would get "Nintendo's Soul Calibur" which would not feel right.  Namco reminds me more of Konami, Capcom and Sega.

Yeah, same here.  I'd only be happy with Nintendo buying Namco-Bandai if it meant they got to keep a relative amount of autonomy ala Activision and Blizzard.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 02, 2010, 08:33:47 PM »
If Nintendo does buy companies they should leave them with a great deal of autonomy, but the two things Nintendo should demand out of them is:

1) Quality, and not shovelware.
2) The games must be exclusive to Nintendo hardware

But other than those conditions Nintendo should let them do whatever they want.
is your sanity...

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 02, 2010, 10:43:31 PM »
BUY PLATINUM NINTENDO.

I WANT AN RE4 GAME FROM THEM AGAIN.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 02, 2010, 10:53:10 PM »
Buy them with promises of HD production in 2 years time.
Full funding and Nintendo magic can be all theirs.

But tea tables must be present in every room that development is taking place.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 02, 2010, 11:02:12 PM »
I'm sure Mikami won't mind.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 03, 2010, 12:49:13 PM »
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 03, 2010, 01:46:29 PM »
I'd only be happy with Nintendo buying Namco-Bandai if it meant they got to keep a relative amount of autonomy ala Activision and Blizzard.
You want Nintendo to purchase a company that just posted a huge loss and then let them keep doing what they've been doing?  That makes no sense.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 03, 2010, 01:51:06 PM »
I'd only be happy with Nintendo buying Namco-Bandai if it meant they got to keep a relative amount of autonomy ala Activision and Blizzard.
You want Nintendo to purchase a company that just posted a huge loss and then let them keep doing what they've been doing?  That makes no sense.

Like I said, a relative amount of autonomy.  Nintendo keeps them in line and makes sure that they don't do something stupid that will cripple the company, but they don't put a stranglehold on their creative output either.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 03, 2010, 01:58:17 PM »
Did you guys see the financial report from Namco?

I'm no expert on reading those things, but it looked like they actually made more money(~Double) from their 9 Wii games that they did on their 5 HD games that I will assume were multi-system ports and not 5 separate PS3 and 5 separate 360 games.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 03, 2010, 02:23:22 PM »
Fact

Tales of Re-Phonia: Dawn of Pokemon sold more on the Wii then Tales of HDPhonia (Vesperia) on 360... in North America. Exactly numbers? Not too sure.

Marta for Super Smash Bros. Sequal plz.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 03, 2010, 09:49:13 PM »
THQ Cuts 60 Jobs As Rainbow, Juice Rebrand, Refocus On Digital
Developers of Deadly Creatures and Juiced
Publisher THQ announced it would be refocusing its Juice Games and Rainbow Studios on digital distribution -- and cutting 60 jobs as part of the strategy.

Juice Games will now be known as THQ Digital Studios Warrington, while Rainbow will be re-titled THQ Digital Studios Phoenix. According to the publisher, the studios' core mandate will now be to create digitally-distributed games based both on owned and new IP.

The first of these will begin releasing in 2011; the two studios are developing downloadable games for Xbox Live Arcade, PlayStation Network, iPhone and iPad. THQ says it will still publish its MX vs ATV sport racing franchise under the Rainbow Studios brand.

Notably, the publisher also says the studios will be tasked with implementing "a portfolio-wide community platform to connect consumers to all of THQ’s core games using proprietary technology developed by THQ Digital Studios Warrington."

"Consumers are increasingly looking for deeper engagement with their favorite entertainment experiences," says THQ executive VP Danny Bilson. "They also want to enjoy games and entertainment via convenient social and portable platforms that suit their lifestyle."

Bilson explains: "We plan to address these needs through a rich offering of content distributed across digital platforms, based both on all of our major core brands as well as new intellectual properties."

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 03, 2010, 09:57:10 PM »
People losing their jobs is sad.

THQ losing said jobs because of HD budgets/crappy economy is divine justice. God I'm such an ass for saying that.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 03, 2010, 10:03:54 PM »
People losing their jobs is sad.

THQ losing said jobs because of HD budgets/crappy economy is divine justice. God I'm such an ass for saying that.

Yes, let's blame the HD consoles for this.   ::)   I'm sure the fact that THQ has produced nothing but crap for years (at least, that's how it looks looking over their list of games on Wikipedia) had absolutely nothing to do with it, and that if they published that same crap on Wii it would be all rainbows and butterflies.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 10:08:31 PM by broodwars »

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 03, 2010, 10:29:04 PM »
Everyone blames Nintendo for their problems, I blame HD.

Neither of us can be right, but I'm just a forum user. They are companies that need money and have to pay workers.

And those rainbows and butterflies need advertising.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 04, 2010, 02:49:45 AM »
jobs cut at Rainbow? :P I see opportunity there :P
I've been eyeing that place for a bit, but they never quite have jobs posted. Although my sites are usually set on better companies. My portfolio has made headway in the last 4 weeks since I've gotten in bed with the source engine.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 04, 2010, 01:01:08 PM »
Wherever you go Perm, spread the Nintendo love!

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 05, 2010, 04:42:53 PM »
Actually, MX VS ATV Reflex was a huge leap for the genre. Sadly, only myself and a dozen others follow it so it doesn't suprise me to see some of Ranbows talent shifted to digital games. At least we'll still get more mx games. But they'll probably just be minor upgrades.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 05, 2010, 10:30:02 PM »
I just assume this isn't anything special.  Whenever a new industry is developing, often more businesses get involved than said industry can support.   And what happens?  The weaker ones have to go under and drop out of it.  Weaker doesn't mean the ones with the least capital, either.

The good news, though, is that it's still possible for just about any start-up to get involved with the industry, create a great hit, and get a jump-start into games.  The reverse is true, too:  Make one flop, and you're out.  Still, it's a type of survival of the fittest, and that's never a bad thing.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 06, 2010, 04:47:17 AM »
It's only sad when potentially good series or developers are lost in the process.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 12, 2010, 11:17:40 PM »
Neversoft getting shut down, Vicarious Visions taking over
I have always felt bad for Neversoft. Their Spider-Man game on the PlayStation is a forgotten classic and a precursor to the free-roaming Spider-Man games on PS2 and beyond. Gun was a critical and financial success that was set in the wild west. Apocalypse (starring Bruce Willis) is a highly underrated third-person shooter that more-than-hints at Robotron. Rather than being known for these titles, Neversoft is known today for their work on the Guitar Hero series.

After Guitar Hero 6, they won’t even have that.

According to sources at both Activision and Neversoft, after the developer completes work on technically-unannounced-but-we-all-know-its-coming Guitar Hero 6, the publisher will hand the groundbreaking franchise over to Vicarious Visions.
Vicarious Visions has some history with the Guitar Hero franchise, having worked on the Wii ports of every GH console game since Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock. The studio works on the Nintendo DS Guitar Hero: On Tour series as well.

For a little additional creepiness, it was Vicarious Visions whom Activision awarded the Spider-Man license to create Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro.

This spells trouble for the developer. According to the same source, several members of the Guitar Hero team have been laid off (specifically several “note trackers”) and there are currently no official projects post-GH6.

UPDATE: Though there have been many layoffs at Neversoft, those who are currently working on the aforementioned Guitar Hero 6 are being kept until their jobs are complete at which time they’ll be let go. In layman’s terms — April. They’re being told today that they’ll be fired in April.

UPDATE 2: No more need to call this a rumor…

It's good news in terms of Wii Support, but Bad News for the developers being replaced.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 11:20:47 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 12, 2010, 11:52:25 PM »
Every third party that craps on or ignores the Wii deserves to be laid off.
is your sanity...

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 13, 2010, 09:09:37 PM »
GRIN says hi.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 02, 2010, 01:53:45 AM »
I'm not 100% sure whats going on here, but this is definitely something to keep an eye on.

Security Appears Unannounced At Infinity Ward, Studio Heads Missing, Staff "Freaked Out"
Something's happening at Infinity Ward right now.

A source close to the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 developer just informed me that a "bunch of bouncer-types" just showed up outside of the Infinity Ward offices unannounced. When approached by employees, the non-uniformed "bouncers" were unwilling to disclose why they were there.

"Everyone is on edge," said my source.

Infinity Ward studio heads Vince Zampella and Jason West reportedly met with Activision this morning and have not been seen by Infinity Ward staff members since. My source did not delve into specifics, but described the relationship between Infinity Ward and Activision lately as "tense."

The mood around the Infinity Ward offices is currently described as "freaked out" and "confused."

"We just wanna make our games," said my source.

I've contacted Activision for comment on the ongoing situation at Infinity Ward. Stay tuned.

UPDATE - 10:07 PM:
More developments on the situation at Infinity Ward have come to light.

A screen shot surfaced from Jason West's Facebook page at Kotaku with the status update "Jason West is drinking. Also, unemployed." I can confirm from a source that's friends with West that update did actually come from West's account.

West also updated his Linkedin profile to appears to reflect a change in employment.

"President/Game Director/CCO/CTO Infinity WardJanuary 2001 – March 2010 (9 years 3 months)"

While this doesn't yet provide much insight into what actually happened at Infinity Ward, it confirms there are changes afoot at the Call of Duty developer. As soon as I know more, you'll know more.

Could Activision be on the verge of dismantling Infinity Ward? just months after making $1Billion with CoD: MW2?

there is speculation going around and some of it makes sense, but no one knows whats going on right now.

edit:

Jason West's LinkedIn account update pic
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 09:25:10 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #149 on: March 02, 2010, 02:12:10 AM »
"it wasn't supposed to be this way"
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::