Author Topic: 2009: The year of the doorstop  (Read 10102 times)

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
2009: The year of the doorstop
« on: December 28, 2009, 04:10:26 PM »
Avoiding the big blurb designed to attract our celebrity folk into an argument, ultimately resulting in Pale or Lindy - Director of Nintendo World Report dotcom - to close the thread, i will keep it succinct.

Minus a few titles i want (Punch Out being one) but have yet to acquire and Wii Fit Plus, there's been NOTHING i want to buy for my Wii this year. To compound the problem, when i went to the Eurogamer Expo in London (did any other UK'ers go?) it only helped to excite me for some HD titles coming in 2010 such as Split/Second, Heavy Rain and God of War 3, while only Red Steel 2 caught my attention on the wii front.

I abused the hell of out The Condomunit and moved onto my 7-deep untouched PS3 collection (as mentioned in my Plugabugz Playground thread) and am lightly sprinking Wii Fit Plus.

Am i the only one in this quandry?

The lack of marketing doesn't help too. For me to get excited about Split/Second all they had to do was bring a demo to that expo and now its INSTA-BUY. Few Wii titles have done that for me this year, and really i hope 2010 does better.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 04:12:00 PM by Plugabugz »

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: 2009: The year of the doorstop
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 04:20:09 PM »
What were you playing before gaming died?

Edit:  I have plenty to play, but no time.  My buying habits involve growing a library that contains a variety of experiences and not relying on a couple games for some mythical "infinite replay value."  This is an intentional contrast to my N64 years, where I had plenty of time and no money, thus my collection grew at a rate of 1 game per year with very little variety outside of "Nintendo character adventure."
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 04:25:30 PM by NinGurl69 *huggles »
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 04:21:55 PM »
GAMES!

I'm still playing them now (Littlebigplanet and Motorstorm 2) but nothing on the Wii front.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 04:29:53 PM »
Well, you're not providing an indication what types of games you might be interested in (if the names escape you), and what pricing conditions suit you most (first day full price?  or price drop hesitance?).  This looks like a job for the long-forgotten "What game should I get?" thread.

The other option is to sell your Wii.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 04:34:16 PM »
The thing is i know stuff is on the way for 2010 so selling my Wii isn't an option.

I wanted some more racing games and platformers in particular. I have nearly nothing but those in my PS3 collection. With PS3 games i will hold out for the price to drop, but for Wii they drop fairly quickish.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 05:19:30 PM »
I can see where you're coming from Plugabugz, especially as regards your original points for marketing (some marketing, ANY marketing, please?), general awareness, and the unique mix of games available on the Wii.

Of course, I personally have a backlog of Wii games about... oh.... 12+ games deep? So I can't exactly say I'm in the same boat now can I? Like Pro (Ningurl69*huggles*), I'm a Nintendo gamer looking for a bunch of unique and different gameplay experiences. I'm not tied to any one genre, but instead am invigorated by the existence of such varied games as A Boy and his Blob, Modern Warfare: Reflex Edition, We Cheer 2, and Munchables. I also resemble Pro in that during the N64 era, I had a smaller and less radical gaming library, but I'd add that my NES and SNES collection were much more varied. In many ways, the Wii reminds me more of the NES or SNES mix of games than my personal "Golden Age" of the N64.

But enough of that. I think one of the reasons I'm not in the same boat as you is that I proactively seek out games to my taste. I don't rely on marketing, I rely on the internet (which, now that I think about it, sounds risky! lol). I may be enjoying plenty of games, but either there's not a lot of advertising out there, or I'm just not in the right places at the right time to be exposed to it. Thus, I've become really dependent on sites like NWR and others to notify me of new or upcoming releases, and after that, going to the game's website and doing more research if the basic description of the gameplay catches my attention. The ONLY advertising I am exposed to on a sorta-ever-present basis is the Nintendo Channel, which I turn on every couple of weeks when I get a curious streak.

I wouldn't say that the Wii is guaranteed to have everything, but I find that where marketing fails in its job to inform me as a consumer of what my options are, I have to take responsibility of my own enjoyment. (Since WHEN has the racer Need For Speed: Nitro been out?!?! The first I heard of it's availability was in the NWR review!) (And how in the world did they expect me to know that my heavily anticipated flight/shooter Sky Crawlers (supposedly from some people behind the Ace Combat series) was coming out?!?!?!).

It sucks that it takes extra energy on my part to do the (sometimes fun) research, and I bet the game's suffer for the lack of general knowledge about their existence as well. *shrug* But I want to play fun games, darn it, not just games that manage to, by luck, moneyhats, real worth, or a combination of all three, hog the gaming attention of the day.

...that said, I'm STARVED for a fun, light, strategy game in the style of Dawn of Discovery or Star Trek: Conquest. I even bought an ancient copy of Gladius for the GC because I'm so starved for this Sim/Strategy genre. Is anyone aware of a remedy for my situation?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 05:55:37 PM »
I can't say I have that problem, as there are still at least 30 games on my to-buy list and I have a considerable stack of games I haven't finished or even played. Like Kairon suggested, I'd say do some more research and see what other games are out there which may suit your taste. And don't just look at games released this year either, as there may be some good stuff you missed, especially games not published by Nintendo.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 06:16:41 PM »
This was definitely a light year for the Wii, but it had its share of good games (especially towards the end of the year).  I've had a great time this year with Punch Out (which I just got today); New Super Mario Bros. Wii; A Boy & His Blob; Dead Space Extraction; Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles; The Metroid Prime Trilogy; and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.  Sure, those aren't the kind of games that would make the Wii my primary system, but they're fun for spurts as my secondary system (my PS3 is my primary system these days).  Hopefully, 2010 will feature much meatier games on the Wii.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 06:39:38 PM »
Wii games released in 2009 with a Metacritic score of 80% or higher.

Metroid Prime Trilogy
Beatles Rock Band
Guiter Hero 5
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
DJ Hero
Little King's Story
LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias
Boom Blox Bash Party
Punch-Out!!
Guitar Hero: Metallica
Pro Evolution Soccer 2009
Swords & Soldiers
NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits
Dead Space Extraction
EA Sports Active More Workouts
Pro Evolution Soccer 2010
Dawn of Discovery
MadWorld
EA Sports Active
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
Bit.Trip Void
Wii Sports Resort
Wii Fit Plus
Bit.Trip Beat
Rune Factory: Frontier
A Boy and his Blob
Bit.Trip Core

I know that some of you will ignore anything that's below 80% so I posted these first, but for the rest of the world including Metacritic, games that score 75% to 79% can still be considered good as well.  Hell, some of the games I'm about to post were well praised by a lot of people and are only this low because of certain reviews that make you wonder if the reviewer really played the game.

Wii games released in 2009 with a Metacritic score of 75-79%.

Band Hero
Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1: Launch of the Screaming Narwhal
Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 2: The Siege of Spinner Cay
Rabbids Go Home
WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2010
The House of the Dead: Overkill
MySims Agents
Grand Slam Tennis
Excitebots: Trick Racing
Madden NFL 10
Klonoa
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
Contra ReBirth
Bubble Bobble Plus!
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - Reflex
Phantom Brave: We Meet Again
Ghostbusters: The Video Game
FIFA Soccer 10
Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles
Bonsai Barber

Hell, even games with a 70-74% are still decent.  Wii games released in 2009 with a score of 70-74%.

Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars - Director's Cut
Naruto Shippuden: Clash of Ninja Revolution 3
Marble Saga: Kororinpa
Guitar Hero: Smash Hits
Samurai Shodown Anthology
LIT
Virtua Tennis 2009
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life As A Dark Lord
Water Warfare
Deadly Creatures
LEGO Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games
Shaun White Snowboarding: World Stage
Spectrobes: Origins
Mr. Driller W
The Munchables
Let's Tap
Excitebike: World Rally
LEGO Rock Band
Tenchu: Shadow Assassins

So take your pick on what you like or don't like, but to say the Wii had nothing in 2009 is complete BS.  The Wii has a whole had a great lineup of games from many different genre's in the year 2009 and just because some of you were too ignorant to notice doesn't mean everyone else that owned the system was.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 06:45:12 PM »
I saw several Hero's in that list. *continues waiting*

There's several there that i hadn't heard of.

Things like Excitebots aren't even here.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 07:47:54 PM »
I own 12 out of the 1st group
4 out of the 2nd group
and 0 out of the last group.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 07:49:23 PM »
My problem is that there are a lot of games I want to get, but can't because I have no money (having no job sucks).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 07:52:00 PM »
Hmmm... out of curiousity Luigi Dude I decided to take the metacritic list you had and see which and how many games from that list were in my collection (26, which when grouped as listed break down to 11-8-7). It's pretty interesting seeing what my major omissions are (Punchout, the Rockbands/Guitar-DJ-Band Heroes, sports games in general). It's also pretty interesting to realize that some of my beloved titles fall below the 70 mark on metacritic (We Cheer 2).

Also evident is what Plugabugz mentioned, where are the racers on that list? I checked Need For Speed Nitro. which got an 8.0 on NWR and actually a lot of other places, and it falls just out of the range of your list due to some outlier scores on the lower end of what is pretty much straight 8s and 7s everywhere else.

As a side note, I'm reminded that I told myself about 2 years ago I'd be interested in a Nascar-sorta game... I'm not really a racing fan and haven't been much into racing games ever, but I think I'm ready to try the genre out. I still haven't gotten one though, so now I'm researching Ferrari Challenge for the Wii to see if that might scratch my itch. Or Formula 1 2009... which has a metacritic rating of 71 but didn't show up on your list Luigi Dude.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 07:56:47 PM »
Mario bought both F1 2009 and NFS Nitro.  He returned Nitro after a couple days.

I have 13 from Group 1.
5 from Group 2.
3 from Group 3.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 07:58:40 PM by NinGurl69 *huggles »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 07:58:41 PM »
As far as racing games go, EA needs to bring Burn Out to the Wii.
That was my favorite racing game back on the GC and we've gotten nothing like it since that I know of.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2009, 08:05:47 PM »
As far as racing games go, EA needs to bring Burn Out to the Wii.
That was my favorite racing game back on the GC and we've gotten nothing like it since that I know of.

Yeah, I think that the Burn Out series is a MAJOR omission from the Wii's gaming library.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2009, 08:17:29 PM »
Or Formula 1 2009... which has a metacritic rating of 71 but didn't show up on your list Luigi Dude.

Sorry about that, I was trying to type my first post rather fast and so going from Metacritic to here over and over again for my list made me not notice several other games it seem.

I think these are the games I missed that are reviewed somewhere over 70%.

F1 2009 - 71%
Nerf 2: N-Strike Elite - 71%
Tornado Outbreak - 71%
Driift Mania - 71%
The Biggest Loser - 74%
Mini Ninjas - 79%
You, Me, and the Cubes - 79%
JumpStart Escape From Adventure Island - 76%
NASCAR Kart Racing - 70%

Alright I think that's everything now.  I'm sure there's at least one game for 2009 I'm still missing though.  :-\
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2009, 08:35:24 PM »
2009: The year everyone ignored games.

Thanks for the list Luigi Dude, now my to-buy list is even huger. Of those, I have 5 from the first group, 2 from the second group, and two from the last group. So there are a lot I wasn't able to get, mostly because I'm playing catch-up with the last couple of years.

Burnout was pretty good, it was a decent replacement for the Rush series that I adored on the Nintendo 64. If I remember rightly, Burnout 2 was released on GameCube several months after other versions and sold poorly, and the publisher claimed that there wasn't an audience for racing games on the GameCube (or something along those lines). So it is probably unlikely that the series will come to the Wii.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2009, 08:44:57 PM »
Publishers make me mad.
With how many people owned a PS2/Xbox, they can't honestly believe that there was no audience on the GC for the game when they release it many many months later after most people had already bought it on one of the other 2 systems.

The 3rd rate treatment from 3rd parties need to stop.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2009, 09:30:47 PM »
Burnout 2 GC is the best racer on Wii.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2009, 01:07:38 AM »
The thing is i know stuff is on the way for 2010 so selling my Wii isn't an option.

I wanted some more racing games and platformers in particular. I have nearly nothing but those in my PS3 collection. With PS3 games i will hold out for the price to drop, but for Wii they drop fairly quickish.

I can't help you with the racing game part, but platformers? I'd say 2009 was a pretty good year for those, especially the 2D kind. NSMBWii's the obvious one, and it quickly became one of my favorites. This year also saw the release of Klonoa and A Boy and His Blob, both of which are cheap at retail. Winter of the Melodias is another great game that you can get at a budget price. Download the demo for NyxQuest and see if you like it: I know I sure did.

In addition, get Little King's Story. If you don't, you probably have no soul. True story!  :cool;

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2009, 04:26:32 AM »
For some reason i wasn't interested in NSMBW. I just didn't want the DS game, in style, again.

So that leaves Lostwinds, Boy/Blob, and NyxQuest. I have a silly question, can you get demo's frrom the Nintendo Channel now?

The entire first quarter of Luigi Dude's top list I wouldn't touch, like Kairon. I'll even give the Bit Trips a go (Jonny on RFN said Void is the easiest one to start with?). I think there's quite a few you've all told me about to keep me going. I'll start with the WiiWare ones.

I guess i'm a bit more of a passive gamer in the sense that i want to be informed of games (thats what publishers should do, inform me!) rather than an active one and search out what i want.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2009, 05:32:08 AM »
You do understand this is a public forum where people, sometimes, discuss new games they buy, correct?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2009, 06:10:57 AM »
For some reason i wasn't interested in NSMBW. I just didn't want the DS game, in style, again.

Heh. Lucky for me I completely ignored NSMB for the DS.

I have a silly question, can you get demo's frrom the Nintendo Channel now?

Yeah. Right now I think there's demos for:

World of Goo
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Dark lord
Pokemon Rumble
NyxQuest
Bit.Trip.Beat

I'll even give the Bit Trips a go (Jonny on RFN said Void is the easiest one to start with?).

After watching videos of the Bit.Trip games, I'm sorta scared to try out Beat and Void, they look a little confusing, Beat resembling hardcore musical arkanoid and Void resembling musical Ikaruga. But Bit.Trip.Core sorta looks like a simple rhythm game, so I'm personally trying that out first.

I guess i'm a bit more of a passive gamer in the sense that i want to be informed of games (thats what publishers should do, inform me!) rather than an active one and search out what i want.

Usually there's nothing wrong with that, but the sad thing is that this generation is just weird.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2009, 06:22:27 AM »
I don't think you can complain about a lack of games if you still haven't picked up a game you want (PUNCH OUT) when it has been out for 6 months already.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 06:25:16 AM by SixthAngel »