Author Topic: PODCAST: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 113  (Read 39874 times)

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: PODCAST: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 113
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2008, 11:09:03 PM »
Ask something that will start a new podcast segment, Jon Lindemann's Crazy Anti-Nintendo Rants.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2008, 09:58:09 PM »
Did Lindy really say that no Wiiware game should cost $15? Really, so I suppose Braid isn't worth $15 because I really doubt it had huge development costs. Or better yet if a new full length Mario Bros. game comes out, that wouldn't justify $15? Lindy, Lindy, you confuse me sometimes. :(
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2008, 10:01:59 PM »
Ya Lindy was a snide snide man the whole epi. Just like here on the boards!
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2008, 10:19:10 PM »
At least he's consistent.

J.P. Corbran

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2008, 10:25:03 PM »
consistently wrong is still wrong. ;)

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2008, 10:29:22 PM »
Yeah, and it's not as hilarious as inconsistency can be, like if he were to continue on like this and then do a 180 and give Wii Music a 9.5 review.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Schadenfreude

• It's human nature
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2008, 11:16:49 PM »
Yeah, and it's not as hilarious as inconsistency can be, like if he were to continue on like this and then do a 180 and give Wii Music a 9.5 review.

That's not a 180, that's just crazy.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2008, 11:25:45 PM »

That's not a 180, that's just crazy.

No, it's both.

J.P. Corbran

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2008, 12:26:26 AM »
I hate you podcast people, now I have to get and play Indigo Prophecy. Looks like it is backward compatible with 360 so maybe I'll get to play my FIRST backward capable 360 game.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2008, 01:04:12 AM »
The problem I have with paying $15 for a WiiWare game is that it's using old tech.  At least the games on Xbox Live Arcade and Playstation Network need a little more development time (and cost) to be put into HD, have more intensive visuals, and are typically larger games in terms of size and scope.  Therefore, I'll begrudgingly pay the extra cost, but I'm not a huge fan of paying $15 for Braid either.

This is the same problem I have with $34.99 and $39.99 Nintendo DS games...there's nothing you can do on the DS that would get me to pay more than $29.99 for a game, no matter what it is.  I won't pay $39.99 for a PSP game, let alone a DS game.

Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2008, 01:07:54 AM »
The problem I have with paying $15 for a WiiWare game is that it's using old tech.  At least the games on Xbox Live Arcade and Playstation Network need a little more development time (and cost) to be put into HD, have more intensive visuals, and are typically larger games in terms of size and scope.  Therefore, I'll begrudgingly pay the extra cost, but I'm not a huge fan of paying $15 for Braid either.

This is the same problem I have with $34.99 and $39.99 Nintendo DS games...there's nothing you can do on the DS that would get me to pay more than $29.99 for a game, no matter what it is.  I won't pay $39.99 for a PSP game, let alone a DS game.

Says Lindy who paid $20 for Space Invaders and a Paddle controller.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2008, 01:10:57 AM »
I didn't pay more than $29.99 for the game though, did I?  Peripherals are in a different class entirely.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2008, 01:16:09 AM »
I didn't pay more than $29.99 for the game though, did I?  Peripherals are in a different class entirely.

Even at 19.99 you are still talking about a "primitive" game even for DS. So flip that around and put a fully fledged Mario platformer on the VC, how is that not worth $15?

A games value is dependent NOT on development cost unless you want to get into super goofy and incoherent territory or the system it is on. It depends on what the user gets out of it and what they FEEL it is worth to them which can range from replayability, production value, story, visuals, length, creativity, and above all us, how much they feel the FUN they are having is worth. It is obnoxious to state that X game should be X price based on something as silly as development cost or the "hardware it is on".

This kind of ties in with the podcast in the discussion over Indigo Prophecy? From most accounts the game was not that visually attractive and didn't have super big production values that took full advantage of the hardware, so would that mean it wasn't worth full price?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 01:19:17 AM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2008, 01:19:47 AM »
I guess my $10 price point comes from the investment that I've already made in the console, and the price of other software.  And besides, like you just said, it's how I feel.  I don't feel that any WiiWare game will be worth $15.  I have yet to be disproven, but I'd love to be.  Most Wii games aren't worth $50 to me, either.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2008, 01:21:35 AM »

Wow, no offense, but you REALLY come off as a graphics whore here. I can understand the WiiWare argument--the games so far seem very limited in scope due to file size restrictions and a general lack of effort. But I can't follow your DS comment. Portables have ALWAYS been "old tech," due to battery life and portability restrictions. I'd argue the DS's touch screen makes it "newer tech" than the PSP in terms of what it can lend to game design. Anyway, the DS (and even the GBA) are more than capable of providing a full-featured gaming experience (online gaming notwithstanding, I suppose). Even some GB(C) games can compete with 8-bit and 16-bit console classics in quality and depth. So unless you've never been OK with spending $35 on a portable game, and you can't enjoy games without whiz-bang graphics, your statement is bogus.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2008, 01:22:11 AM »
I guess my $10 price point comes from the investment that I've already made in the console, and the price of other software.  And besides, like you just said, it's how I feel.  I don't feel that any WiiWare game will be worth $15.  I have yet to be disproven, but I'd love to be.  Most Wii games aren't worth $50 to me, either.

Funny I feel the exact same way about most PS3 games! ;)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2008, 01:51:47 AM »
Don't get hung up on the "old tech" comment; I'm not disparaging the DS.  I just feel that due to the relative simplicity of its hardware and what I feel must be the lessened development costs involved, most DS games are overpriced at $29.99, let alone $34.99 and $39.99.  Instead of $29.99/$34.99/$39.99, I think the range should be $19.99/$24.99/$29.99.  If I'm paying $39.99 for a game, it might as well be a full-blown console experience.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2008, 02:17:08 AM »
Well I don't buy 39.99 dollar games for the DS either. I think usually Nintendo tacked 5 dollars onto the standard price if the game has WiFi but thats about it.

Overall, that should make the PSP worthless, and it is.  But I don't pay for tech. Just you do, Silks.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2008, 02:35:13 AM »
I remember a time when you spent money on games you thought were going to be good, not what was technically superior.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2008, 02:37:28 AM »
I remember a time when you spent money on games you thought were going to be good, not what was technically superior.

Ya sorry, some of us, including myself started asking for more.

I don't subscribe to the techno blah blah group, I believe there is a balence though and I will damn well always ask for more from the market. It's my harsh love, really.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2008, 02:45:34 AM »

I don't subscribe to the techno blah blah group, I believe there is a balence though and I will damn well always ask for more from the market. It's my harsh love, really.

DAaaMan and Lindy on the same page...CONFIRMED

I would really hate to be someone who judges a games merits solely on the technical aspects of the game when determining value. Guess that means I should hate Boom Blox. Heck I might as well say "Mario Galaxy should be 19.99 because Xbox 360 has better graphics!"
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 02:49:09 AM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2008, 02:54:51 AM »

I would really hate to be someone who judges a games merits solely on the technical aspects of the game when determining value. Guess that means I should hate Boom Blox. Heck I might as well say "Mario Galaxy should be 19.99 because Xbox 360 has better graphics!"

Thats a far stretch from what I said.

They way I see it, gameplay over graphics, of course. again something I shouldn't have to be saying, but I can always demand nice graphics and I love to see them.  How I love me the market, but it is but sad harsh love.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2008, 03:05:07 AM »

Thats a far stretch from what I said.

They way I see it, gameplay over graphics, of course. again something I shouldn't have to be saying, but I can always demand nice graphics and I love to see them.  How I love me the market, but it is but sad harsh love.

That is fine if you are talking about graphics on the same system. What Lindy is saying is that a Wii game (or in his example a WiiWare game) is of less value regardless of its depth or even the work put into it than a 360 Arcade game.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2008, 04:06:51 AM »
Personally, I'd pay $20 for DWARF FORTRESS.

If I can have fun with a game and the price fits that fun, I don't care if it's on the PS3, DS, or Dos 3.1.

Heck, I went and bought River City Ransom for $15 at a Funcoland around ten years ago just because that game is an amazing brawler/RPG combo (with co-op!). God I love that game... totally worth it to plug it into my NES. Old technology? Bah. A unique, fun, experience.

... Oh, and uh... I'd pay $50 bucks for the Monkey Island games if they ever rereleased...
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2008, 10:39:40 AM »
James' King of Clubs rant was fantastic.