Author Topic: PODCAST: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 113  (Read 39883 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
PODCAST: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 113
« on: August 30, 2008, 04:11:00 AM »
Hot on the heels of the previous episode, this hefty one features the return of Nick and a discussion (more a dialogue, really) on story in games.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/podcastArt.cfm?artid=16601

Sometimes I wonder.  

Episode 113: Indigo Popsicle    

AAC Format        Subscribe to AAC Feed    

MP3 Format        Subscribe to MP3 Feed    

Subscribe via iTunes        Digg Radio Free Nintendo    

Greg is off to America to visit some football stadium, so Nick fills in for a huge episode that Karl foolishly volunteered to edit ahead of time.  We're still building up a good pile of Listener Mail for next week, so be sure to send in your questions and comments!    

In New Business: Nick is playing Nights on Wii, Jonny is in love with Call of Duty 4, James is in love with hating King of Clubs, and Jon is slightly befuddled by Bangai-O Spirits.  Listen for the RFN-exclusive stage code!    

An atypically wonderful week for DLC Mondays leads into a contentious argument over pricing of downloaded games, so we just made this its own segment.  After a second break, Nick and Jonny dominate a special discussion of storytelling in video games, centering around their reflections on Indigo Prophecy but also pulling in other games like Eternal Darkness.    

Credits:    

This podcast was edited by Karl Castaneda.    

Music for this episode of Radio Free Nintendo is used with permission from Jason Ricci & New Blood. You can purchase their new album, Rocket Number 9, directly from the record label, or download it from iTunes, or call your local record store and ask for it!

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
Re: PODCAST: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 113
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 03:11:34 AM »
Big thanks to Karl for editing this.  I don't know how I would have managed catching up on 112 and getting this out this week without going crazy.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 03:17:24 AM »
Heeere I cooome to save the  DAAAAAAY!
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 03:31:21 AM »
I'm so proud of this episode title.  Anyone who has played to the end of Indigo Prophecy should get a good chuckle out of it.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Schadenfreude

• It's human nature
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 08:42:55 AM »
Are there any Indigo Prophecy spoilers? I just got it yesterday.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 11:51:13 AM »
Big props to Karl! Wish you could have made it to PAX. :(

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 11:56:36 AM »
No, I don't think we said anything that could be considered a spoiler, because we encouraged people to go check it out.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Schadenfreude

• It's human nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 12:28:46 PM »
Sweet. It's too bad Greg wasn't available, but at least you got a great substitute. :)

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 01:52:38 PM »
Nice try, but the Bangai-O sound transfer didn't work for me, maybe Nick can upload it and post the link in the future? I also liked the feature about story driven gameplay I like the concept and I'll check out the games too.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 02:36:17 PM »
great show as always.

I really enjoyed Eternal Darkness I was low on money and I sold it to buy Meteos for DS. I felt so bad, but at the same time I didn't play that game in forever. I still miss it. ( This was back when Meteos originally released)

How I would change up Eternal Darkness.

1) Remake, not sequel ( I heard it sold terrible so why make a sequel )

I would make every color you choose, you would have 3 different sets of insanity effects. So with each color you get different ones that way it stays fresh, and with Wii they can do some amazing stuff to really throw you off. (have the low battery announcement come up but be a LIE)

Obviously clean up the FMV which was compressed. Maybe change the set up for levels with different colors like you would play the entire level in 1st person if you pick green, but red is 3rd person like normal.

Throw in some different levels here and their for different colors and you got yourself one great package. I really loved the insanity effects so i was disappointed they sometimes recycled them.

Is Greg in Denver or St. Paul? I assume Denver, but since you guys frown on talking about politics talking about what region of the US can be a clue.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 04:14:58 PM »
I'd like to make a comment about the firmware on PS3. On 360 I believe it's just a patch on the existing version of the software however on the PS3 it does a full system flash so each PS3 firmware could be at least 100MB big.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 04:51:06 PM »
Jonny should not be allowed to talk about WiiWare.

Seriously, Wild West Guns may not be the best WiiWare game on the service, and it's not, but it's fun, and certainly not anywhere close to in the same league as Pong Toss. And since he ignores what I have to say on the subject (and really, why should you listen to the opinions of someone who plays a lot of WiiWare games on the subject of WiiWare games?) I'll link you to the 6.8 from IGN and the 7 from WiiWare World. Also, for the record, Midnight Pool: 7.0 from IGN, 8 from WiiWare World.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 05:15:42 PM »
Yeah, I regret mentioning Wild West Guns in that context, because I have seen a couple of decent reviews for it.  But I find it hard to be interested in such a game, regardless of its respectable quality, when there are so many other things like it already on Wii.  And the same goes for Midnight Pool -- it may be okay, but who really cares?  It's time we saw some actual originality on WiiWare, you know, like Nintendo promised when they announced the service a year and a half ago.  And Nintendo itself is hardly leading the way.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 05:54:26 PM »
There's a difference between not being interested in something and bashing it. I liked the shooting gallery and billiards portions of Wii Play but would rather have them immediately available to me as channels than on a disc so the two games are perfect for me.

I don't think you can blame Nintendo for the lack of originality on the service apart from the lack of Nintendo-developed titles. Thanks to Nintendo's policy of letting anything on the service as long as it won't brick your Wii, shopping for WiiWare games is like shopping for retail games; there's going to be a fair amount of crap and a whole lot of mediocrity in addition to the good stuff.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 05:58:51 PM »
Well Jonny I highly doubt Nintendo wants to be the big fish in the Wiiware pond, I think Nintendo would rather have indy developers have a good foothold in at least one area of where they could get a chance of their games being out in the market. So in this space I think Nintendo would like to see indy developers leading the way, quite frankly with some of the Wiiware games whether they are good or bad there are some interesting ideas that you would normally see absent from retail games.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2008, 06:03:12 PM »
There's a difference between not being interested in something and bashing it. I liked the shooting gallery and billiards portions of Wii Play but would rather have them immediately available to me as channels than on a disc so the two games are perfect for me.

I don't think you can blame Nintendo for the lack of originality on the service apart from the lack of Nintendo-developed titles. Thanks to Nintendo's policy of letting anything on the service as long as it won't brick your Wii, shopping for WiiWare games is like shopping for retail games; there's going to be a fair amount of crap and a whole lot of mediocrity in addition to the good stuff.

Wiiware games also go through a Q&A check to see if there are no major bugs, when I bought castle crashers on XBLA for 1200MS points which is $15 me and a friend wanted to play co-op online but guess what? The online mode causes either 3 wonderful things 1. Kicks every player from the game and into the main menu when it tries to launch a game 2. Kicks everyone out right before a boss or in the middle of a level 3. Same as number 2 except freezes the entire game to a point where you need to do a hard reset of the console.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 09:49:50 PM »
Yo Greg, you should have told me you were coming to Denver, I could pointed out which CO beers to indulge in!
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2008, 10:16:00 PM »
I'll see about getting the proper cables to post that Bangai-O level online.  It's AWESOME, and my creativity should not be wasted.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Armak88

• Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2008, 02:16:45 PM »
The panning camera has been done in a few third person action games, I suppose the only difference is that in these games the camera is fixed behind your character. For instance, RE4 on the cube lets you use the c-stick to pan the camera, likewise you can do the same in metal gear games. It is certainly an interesting idea that could be really cool with some development.
"I'm not going to ban you yet just in case you really are a huge fan of bean bag chairs..." - Pale

Offline Schadenfreude

• It's human nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2008, 06:12:47 PM »
Excellent episode guys. Loved the intro and outro Karl. :D James continues to make me laugh and he's not even talking about Ubisoft!

That Indigo Prophecy discussion got me really excited to play it, since I just bought it recently. Some people may gripe that there wasn't enough Nintendo talk this episode, but I think it's good to look at other games, especially ones that were overlooked. It's not like there is a lot going on outside of downloadable games for the Wii right now.

Offline AV

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2008, 06:41:30 PM »
Hey I loved the part about King of Clubs so much I edited it down and posted it on youtube. I put some pictures up occasionally too so its a little different

Part 1

Part 2

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2008, 07:20:32 PM »
We're being pirated!

SWEET
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2008, 07:42:03 PM »
I am a true Internet celebrity!  Actually I was laughing at the various boxarts.  Good work!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 07:46:14 PM by Crimm »
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline AV

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2008, 09:36:08 PM »
We're being pirated!

SWEET

hate to burst your bubble, but I contacted Johnny and he gave me the ok.

I am a true Internet celebrity!  Actually I was laughing at the various boxarts.  Good work!

I was considering putting video clips of the game, but decided against it since the audio is the star of the show the video is just something to keep you busy.

What episode was the "man beam" discussion with Cho Anike releasing in europe. Months after that podcast I remember it well, boy that was some funny stuff. I'll post that. I was thinking about posting all the times I sent mail and you guys answered it, but I got lazy and to many episodes.

Offline Schadenfreude

• It's human nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2008, 10:43:06 PM »
I wanted to send an email in for the next episode but I can't think of anything to ask. :(