Author Topic: REVIEWS: The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass  (Read 45168 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
RE: REVIEWS: The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
« Reply #175 on: October 11, 2007, 02:35:25 PM »
Personally, I'm thankful you can travel across the ocean in PH in a couple of mins...  Much better than traveling across the ocean in Wind Waker...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 11, 2007, 04:57:30 PM »
I DO agree with GP on the Wind Waker being a better item than the Phantom Hourglass.  The PH is just a container for the time you collect to travel through the dungeon.  The WW was a tool.
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE:REVIEWS: The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
« Reply #177 on: October 11, 2007, 05:19:27 PM »

Originally posted by: cubist
I bought the game when it came out...but my brother the leaching Zelda fan started on it.  He and I have the same opinion about Zelda titles and he thinks this is better than both Wind Waker and Twilight Princess both.  I'm going to play through it myself to rank it.  I just hope that this review isn't based on the disagreement with the control scheme...you'd lose all credibility as a reviewer if that's the case.

He gave the controls a score of 9.0.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 11, 2007, 07:31:33 PM »

Originally posted by: Jonnyboy117

Originally posted by: cubist
I bought the game when it came out...but my brother the leaching Zelda fan started on it.  He and I have the same opinion about Zelda titles and he thinks this is better than both Wind Waker and Twilight Princess both.  I'm going to play through it myself to rank it.  I just hope that this review isn't based on the disagreement with the control scheme...you'd lose all credibility as a reviewer if that's the case.

He gave the controls a score of 9.0.

yeah and the controls are sweet. haha I love what it did for the bow, bombchu's, and the boomerang.  They all felt really fun to use.  However I hate HATE the Ocean King Temple
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 12, 2007, 04:05:58 AM »

Originally posted by: Maverick
I DO agree with GP on the Wind Waker being a better item than the Phantom Hourglass.  The PH is just a container for the time you collect to travel through the dungeon.  The WW was a tool.

They're both crappy, throw away items...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 12, 2007, 05:23:35 AM »
But with the WW at least you could make Link do a neat little dance.    
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 12, 2007, 05:29:22 AM »
The Wind Waker impacted the gameplay directly, the PH really does nothing except give you a time limit in a dungeon.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 12, 2007, 05:30:43 AM »
Whoo!  Item of the Century FTW, right there.

Question - which would you rather have, a cheap plastic replica Wind Waker or a cheap plastic replica Phantom Hourglass?  (I'd rather have a replica Majora's Mask, personally...)

(...waits for someone to suggest a replica Twilight Princess like a "love doll"...)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 12, 2007, 05:42:52 AM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob
Whoo!  Item of the Century FTW, right there.

Question - which would you rather have, a cheap plastic replica Wind Waker or a cheap plastic replica Phantom Hourglass?  (I'd rather have a replica Majora's Mask, personally...)

(...waits for someone to suggest a replica Twilight Princess like a "love doll"...)

I'd rather have the Wind Waker, because I can find an hourglass anywhere!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 12, 2007, 06:14:12 AM »
Ummm... you can find a stick anywhere as well...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 12, 2007, 09:24:36 PM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob

Oh come on, a Midna plushie would be cool. Reminds me of seeing a roughly 1 metre tall Yoshi plushie in a store when I was a kid, too bad it cost 200DM and I couldn't afford that... Would have been totally awesome, I think I was small enough at the time that I could actually sit on the saddle.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 13, 2007, 01:57:54 AM »
I'd rather give my daughter a Midna plushie instead of a teddy bear, personally.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 13, 2007, 02:37:22 PM »
So I just beated the first dungeon and I don't see the problem in gameplay, this is pretty standar for 2D Zelda, isn't it? I've played some of LttP and is not that different, is even better in some ways.

Oh and the prime: echoes mechanic of the ocean king's temple is awesome, I guess the terrible part comes later? So far, I have zero complains, well just one, my screen is going to end up a huge irreparable mess.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 22, 2007, 07:36:39 PM »
I just got to the Gorons which I guess is past the halfway point... and I have the distinct feeling that this game is awesome. This may be the first Zelda game I actually enjoy completely since OoT, without any moments of game breaking cynicism.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 22, 2007, 08:06:28 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
I just got to the Gorons which I guess is past the halfway point... and I have the distinct feeling that this game is awesome. This may be the first Zelda game I actually enjoy completely since OoT, without any moments of game breaking cynicism.

Thankfully Far Cry didn't have any of those moments!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 23, 2007, 11:42:13 AM »
FarCry didn't need my cynicism to break, it could frame tear all on its own, thank you very much.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 25, 2007, 10:37:27 PM »
I got PH when it finally came out here, not going to buy Metroid Prime 3 now that I've got so many games left to play...

Anyway, I'll second (or however high our count is so far) that the Temple of the Ocean King is not a big issue. Never had to solve a level twice the same way since the items switch it up (and sometimes different enemies spawn) and there's even a teleport to a lower floor included. The phantoms are fairly easy to avoid but it can get annoying when you have to wait for one to move to a certain point of its patrol. I only hit the time limit once and that was during my first run when I got stuck. What annoyed me more is that wannabe pirate woman since every fight with her is the same.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 26, 2007, 02:33:25 AM »
You know, as much hate as some people give the TotOK (Temple of the Ocean King, for those who don't know), there seems to be a major effort among fans of the Zelda series to "Speed Run" the temple, completing it with "0:00" time used.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2LuZKu2PQLk

Some people (this review included) complains that the forced time limit restricts you from fully exploring the temple.  It seems to me that the forced time limit is really giving people a reason to explore the temple.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 26, 2007, 06:01:02 AM »
This time limit doesn't restrict you from doing anything but running through that place willy nilly.

Or did y'all hate Wind Waker too?

Offline BakaKid

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: REVIEWS: The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
« Reply #194 on: July 12, 2008, 12:20:07 AM »
This might be really late, but I think I have to disagree with you on some parts... I thought Phantom Hourglass was a great game! Switching items while fighting was pretty difficult, but it was still enjoyable. This game, I believe, seems to turn towards more casual players. The bosses were easy (Except Gleeok or what his name is), But they were highly enjoyable! I had a lot of fun running around and defeating them. I do believe that the makers of Legend Of Zelda really want to expand their players. Wind Waker for example, they gave it a toonish look. Maybe it was because they wanted younger people to play.

The use of the D pad or the buttons wasn't necessary anyway. The platform for Phantom Hourglass is a DS, which specializes in the Touchscreen. There are many games that don't use the pad or buttons (I'm pretty sure). So you statement on that is a little irrelevant.

As I said before Phantom Hourglass is more easygoing or casual game. So it would be nice to look at things from another perspective.

People have opinions though. I don't want anything bad coming from you. I just felt Phantom Hourglass got a slightly unfair review...

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Re: REVIEWS: The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
« Reply #195 on: July 12, 2008, 03:07:31 AM »
BakaKid, I encourage you to read NWR's second review of Phantom Hourglass, written by me. I felt this review was a bit off myself when I read it, even before I had played the game, so you might agree more with my take on the game.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi