Author Topic: I'm sure you're aware  (Read 21926 times)

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
RE: I'm sure you're aware
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2007, 12:41:38 PM »
Alright, well, Castaneda and I are in Florida, so it qualifies as the place to hold the NWR convention.  How about at the O'Connel center, so I only have to take a bus to get there?  I'll bring the Smash Bros. Melee!  

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
RE:I'm sure you're aware
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2007, 03:14:46 PM »

Originally posted by: thatguy
Alright, well, Castaneda and I are in Florida, so it qualifies as the place to hold the NWR convention.
Bob and I are in Illinois.  Plus Chicago > any & all of Florida.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2007, 03:23:24 PM »
However, I called it first.  So nana nana boo boo, stick your head in doo-doo.

Plus, Gainesville rox the sox offa everywhere else, even when it doesn't seem like it.  It's that hardcore.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2007, 04:50:47 PM »
Gainesville was cool back when LTJ was cool.  (double burn)
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2007, 04:56:52 PM »
Gainesville's level of cool for hosting the NWR convention is independent of the level of cool of independent music.  Gainesville is so cool it's hot.  In fact, it's so hot it caught Gerogia, Alachua County, Lake City, Columbia County, and just about everything else down here on fire this Summer.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2007, 05:16:06 PM »
Look you two, we all know the the West Cost is the best coast and I happen to be in Cali, so thats where it should be held if it were to be held.
Actually I'm in the Bay Area to be more specific and nothing really beats the Bay Area as we have access to all the perks and comforts of all regions of the U.S. all within driving distance. So if you really wanted a place where you could find a place for all the NWR users to fit in and feel comfortable, here would be the place.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2007, 08:42:48 PM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
Look you two, we all know the the West Cost is the best coast and I happen to be in Cali, so thats where it should be held if it were to be held.
Actually I'm in the Bay Area to be more specific and nothing really beats the Bay Area as we have access to all the perks and comforts of all regions of the U.S. all within driving distance. So if you really wanted a place where you could find a place for all the NWR users to fit in and feel comfortable, here would be the place.

Also living in the Bay Area, I approve of this post.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2007, 08:59:06 PM »

Originally posted by: Arbok

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1

Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2007, 03:24:35 AM »
If something like this were to seriously happen, I saw *no* to the West coast.  Everything already happens on the West half of the country.  E3, PAX - y'all have your events.

I say Carmi, Illinois.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2007, 03:43:14 AM »
I say we meet in *cough* beautiful Rochester, NY. Hey me and Pale are out there.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2007, 03:55:49 AM »
That *would* give me an excuse to go to the Nintendo store...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2007, 05:58:41 AM »
I've been to that store twice.  I don't think it's really worth it.  I was excited, too.  

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2007, 10:11:55 AM »
I too live in NY =)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2007, 04:55:23 PM »
No offense, but I wouldn't actually fly to New York to meet any of you, but if I happen to already be out there, then why not.
I have been wanting to visit NY for quite some time and I do know a really hot chick that lives out there, so I could always use that as the official excuse for being out there.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2007, 05:09:16 PM »
Visit sunny Florida!  With the beaches, the sports teams, theme parks, and the old people, Florida is the place to be!

Offline BigJim

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2007, 08:22:34 PM »

Originally posted by: 18 Days
But we're dying
Death

What are you're theories?

No more Billy Berghammer, first and foremost.

I'm joining in way late, but whatever.

- I second/third/fourth (whatever it is by now) the idea of more podcasts. Doing weekly "mega" podcasts is fine, but I would also suggest a couple of staffers have their own short, regular 10-ish minute solo podcasts covering some topics. This way you could end up with 3-5 podcasts per week?

I think it would be a bit excessive to have a bunch of 2 minute clips, but if there are some things worthy of some additional discussion, go for it and just make a nice 5-10 minute solo podcast to talk about it. This wouldn't require scheduling collaboration, unless it were to clash with someone else's scheduled podcast (in which case, still make it, just delay it a day).

- You could even make the Mailbag a podcast, answering a couple of questions.

- I'd also like to see some more occasional serious roundtable-style discussions over big issues/topics. Be it podcast or written.

Ultimately, NWR doesn't have a "face" anymore like it did with Billy. That "personality" bled through in everything PGC did and kept the place fun. Take more risks!
"wow."

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2007, 04:08:32 AM »
Excellent Points BigJim.  If you look a lot of the aspects of the site that displayed personality have not been around for awhile. Louie the Cat, Roundtable discussions, Side Comments from staff on the stories...

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2007, 04:20:20 AM »

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
Excellent Points BigJim.  If you look a lot of the aspects of the site that displayed personality have been around for awhile. Louie the Cat, Roundtable discussions, Side Comments from staff on the stories...

Oh man I miss Louie the Cat...

On a side note, and no offense, the stories themselves look... well, boring. I think making effort to include one picture per story (screenshot, production art, etc) when possible would spice up the look of the articles quite a bit.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2007, 04:32:29 AM »
Rochester isn't exactly the same as NY City.

Hell, when I went to that Press event I still flew there.    
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline mottsc

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2007, 07:04:16 AM »
I think I most miss the staff comments on stories. I think that's one of the things that the mini-podcasts would address. I also have to say that I like the idea of mini-podcasts even if they're just 30 seconds. But I think the mini-podcasts wouldn't be in high demand of staff comments were going on.

Offline UERD

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2007, 07:30:18 AM »
I thought they ended the staff comments because they were afraid people would mix up the 'official' story or press release with the commentary. I know they mentioned it somewhere, but I can't find it .
"I'm looking for shrunken heads w/ DVD playback options. I figure I can hang them in my car like dice. Will you help me?"
- thatguy

"Can you shoot out customizable fireballs? Then why should your Mii be able to?"
- vudu

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2007, 09:22:58 AM »
That is why, but I think people liked it the other way, honestly.  It's in just about every press release story.  There's a button that says something like "Why just a press release?"

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2007, 02:18:45 PM »
First off:  Come to Tennessee. We're Playing your Song.

Second: BigJim hit the nail with the hammer.  When PGC became NWR a lot of the fun that was part of its being and the front page went poof.  We here at the forum try to keep it alive in are own way but the redesign and naming made the site more serious and it carried threw to the staffers.  It also doesn't help that their is not an easy way for us regulars to support the site.  I don't want to click on Ads that are useless to me.  Give me a link to Amazon, NWR Merchandise, or even a donate link.

Another thing is that the official part of the site tends to ignore us here in Forum Land.  The new weekly forum topic is a step in the right direction.  Though I can guarantee that the day UncleBob made it so that NWR Broke the news about the newest strap iteration was when NWR probably got the most advertising in a long while.

The strength here is the people and maybe it might be time to start considering finding a way to make a full time somebody work.  
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2007, 02:44:08 PM »

NWR Merchandise

Yes please.

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2007, 02:35:17 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu

Originally posted by: thatguy
Alright, well, Castaneda and I are in Florida, so it qualifies as the place to hold the NWR convention.
Bob and I are in Illinois.  Plus Chicago > any & all of Florida.

That makes 3 in Il and I know theres one more person but I cant think of who it was. :/

As far as not having enough staff to do certain things.  I mean this site is all done with volunteers who get paid nothing, why not hire more people to do that sort of stuff.  The new staffers could take on news, previews, and vc mondays.   The older staff can take reviews, editorials, podcasts and new features.  I just think its hard to be creative when you guys are spread so thin.  You all have have lives outside of NWR obviously so why not get more people involved within the site and make more happen.  

As far as video for the site goes. . . . no one really can't do that unless they had capture equipment which no one has really so nix to that idea.

I am really liking the quick podcast idea and it could be implemented so quickly.

For example:

Yesterday there was the press release for the Links crossbow training.  Now if I was the staffer I immediately turn on my recording software say my two cents on what I think of Nintendo using their franchise to sell a wii-add on and quit the recording.  I import the sound clip into Adobe Audition, delete some of the dead space make sure my sound sounds clear and I upload it with the press release.  

Another weird idea which I am sure people wouldnt like would be a once in awhile open forum podcast where people from the forum could all log on together and have a discussion.  If there is too many people maybe just randomly choose 3 forum posters and 2 staff members and have a way with it.  That way NWR is going one step further to interact with their audience.  

Contests are another way to have fun but I understand that prizes can be hard to get from sponsors perhaps that is why the NWR Hot Topic died.

OMG NEW MEGATON IDEA

Have a NWR official comic, you can even make a contest to see who would get the job.  Or what if you had people send in a comic every week and the best was shown off. If the comics become popular enough you can have almost a web comic spin off going on.  Web comics can make money if marketed right.  Look at VgCats the guy updates every few weeks with just one comic and he doesnt even need to have a job anymore.  

I still say that a lot can happen with the site and that no one should be spread thin, just hire new people to take the older staff's jobs so they can move on to bettering the site.