Author Topic: The NWR Mailbag Talkback Thread  (Read 51096 times)

Offline retledge

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: The NWR Mailbag Talkback Thread
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2007, 08:39:08 AM »
Regarding the comment that Nintendo hasn't released a headset for the DS, that's probably true for us outside of Japan. (Nintendo of Japan released one on September 14th?) At this time, the usage for a headset is minimal - no games really use it. Once those games come out - there will probably be headsets for the rest of us, neh?

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
RE:The NWR Mailbag Talkback Thread
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2007, 08:42:38 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Reader scores are usually because of votes, I don't trust those because most people will just vote 0-1 or 10 even if they haven't played the game just because of the way they're currently hyped. Reader scores rarely go to 9.0 or higher for that same reason, someone will always vote 0 and if it's just fanboys of another system.

True, but many times the lows will cancel the highs.  Statistically, my argument is still valid.  If so many people will vote a game down, why are the reader reviews still so much higher than the site reviews?  And it's not just for one game on a single platform, either.  It's for every single game on every single platform.  That's hard to argue against.
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2007, 09:21:10 AM »

Originally posted by: WindyMan
True, but many times the lows will cancel the highs.  Statistically, my argument is still valid.  If so many people will vote a game down, why are the reader reviews still so much higher than the site reviews?  And it's not just for one game on a single platform, either.  It's for every single game on every single platform.  That's hard to argue against.
I swear, I just picked ten games off the top of my head and punched them into IGN's search.

Metroid Prime Hunters  IGN Review:  9.0; User Review:  8.8
Resistance:  Fall of Man  IGN Review:  9.1; User Review:  7.9
Final Fantasy VII  IGN Review:  9.5; User Review:  9.4
Super Mario Sunshine  IGN Review:  9.4; User Review:  8.9
Seaman  IGN Review:  8.3; User Review:  7.9
Family Guy  IGN Review:  4.1; User Review:  6.8
Gran Turismo 4  IGN Review:  9.5; User Review:  9.2
Panzer Dragoon Orta  IGN Review:  9.2; User Review:  8.9
Battalion Wars  IGN Review:  8.8; User Review:  8.5
Castlevania:  Circle of the Moon  IGN Review:  9.0; User Review:  8.8

In every case but one (Family Guy) the IGN Review is higher than the average User Review.  It's probably skewed a bit because the games I tended to think of were for the most part great games (I saw a Family Guy banner ad, which is why I thought of it) but it still shows that there are many instances where "professional" ratings are inflated.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2007, 09:35:33 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu

In every case but one (Family Guy) the IGN Review is higher than the average User Review.  It's probably skewed a bit because the games I tended to think of were for the most part great games (I saw a Family Guy banner ad, which is why I thought of it) but it still shows that there are many instances where "professional" ratings are inflated.

Or at least, IGN's.  But that's a different topic.

As long as you guys don't think our review scores are inflated, we're cool.  We're pretty low on the Game Rankings table of average review scores, though, so at least we're consistent about things.  

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2007, 03:42:59 PM »
I wonder if, on every review page, like, in it's own column, there should be a small bit about the reviewer, like, some of their previous reviews/scores, their likes/dislikes and, perhaps when possible, quick links to other reviews on the same game done by other members of the staff.  This would give the reader a little more insight - for example, if they're reading Stan's review of a new Mario Tennis for the Wii and they see he gave it a 10, but they also see that he gave the GCN version a 10, and if they've played the GCN version, perhaps that'll help them judge where Stan is coming from with his review score.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2007, 02:17:27 AM »
They've got some of that if you click on the reviewer's name.  There's enough on the staff pages to figure out whose tastes line up with yours, although they lack dislikes.  If there's more than one review of the same game, in the row of links about the game, there will be a number after the reviews link.  It could all be more obvious, and I haven't found a way to look for other reviews by the same person.  I'd like to see that in the future.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2007, 03:47:35 AM »
True, but many times the lows will cancel the highs.

A 1.0 and a 10.0 cancel each other out to 5.5, that'd still drag a rating of 8.0-9.0 down. It's very difficult to recover from a low vote once you're at the upper end of the scale, look at TP at Gamerankings, it was the #2 game of all time before three ~80% reviews got added and now it's not even in the top ten anymore.

Also careful, many people vote before a game is out purely on how hyped they are, if you read a review when it's first posted the user score may be higher than it will end up a year later after the people who vote on the actual quality have played enough of the game to judge it.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2007, 06:13:16 AM »

The March 5 date comes from Nintendo's Wii site, although Nintendo's press materials still list the game as a Q2 2007 release, I doubt they'd keep an incorrect date in public view for very long.

Actually, March 5th is the older date and it was more recently changed to the more vague Q2.  
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline tonythekitty

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2007, 02:54:34 PM »
Now am I correct in understanding that the only thing that prevents us from downloading other regions Virtual console games is the region of the unit itself? Does this mean that if I buy a second Wii from japan then I can download Neo Geo games? Or would I not be able to use my credit card to buy points off of it?
To err is human but to really F@*K things up takes Sony.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2007, 03:26:47 PM »
Yes, you can do just that.  As long as you can navigate the menus, you're golden.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2007, 04:37:38 PM »
About outputting the Internet Channel in 720p - I'm sure it's actually possible to do. Even the PS2 can output at 720p and 1080i (HDTV Player, and GTA4), the Wii's GPU is much more powerful than the PS2's.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2007, 05:13:38 PM »
Yes, but the video chip still needs to support the video mode.  Computers can't output high resolutions unless the video hardware supports it, even if it had enough power to do so.

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2007, 06:22:25 PM »

Moving the camera to the over-the-shoulder perspective is what really made everything come together. Such a good idea, it was, that many shooters since then have adopted it as the standard camera angle.

You say that as if RE4 invented the idea of an over-the-shoulder shooter.  Max Payne did that (and did it well) years ago.  
GOREGASM!

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2007, 06:51:42 AM »

Originally posted by: Smoke39

Moving the camera to the over-the-shoulder perspective is what really made everything come together. Such a good idea, it was, that many shooters since then have adopted it as the standard camera angle.

You say that as if RE4 invented the idea of an over-the-shoulder shooter.  Max Payne did that (and did it well) years ago.

Music games have been around forever, but it wasn't until Guitar Hero that everyone started to take them seriously.  The over-the-shoulder camera had been around before Resident Evil 4, but now it's standard in games like Gears of War, GRAW, Rainbow 6 and a lot of other shooters.  RE4 perfected the camera angle, which is why many games after it now use it.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2007, 10:53:24 AM »

Originally posted by: Smoke39

Music games have been around forever, but it wasn't until Guitar Hero that everyone started to take them seriously.  The over-the-shoulder camera had been around before Resident Evil 4, but now it's standard in games like Gears of War, GRAW, Rainbow 6 and a lot of other shooters.  RE4 perfected the camera angle, which is why many games after it now use it.

If I recall correctly, Max Payne had an almost flawless camera angle with the over the shoulder view. Personally I think the main reason why RE4 was copied wasn't because of the "Perfect" camera angle, but that it was vastly more popular than Max Payne ever was, so it gets all the credit.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2007, 01:13:49 PM »

Music games have been around forever, but it wasn't until Guitar Hero that everyone started to take them seriously.

Really?  I guess those millions of different versions of DDR for every system under the sun - not to mention all the DDR rip-offs and DDR-esque TV apparances (King of the Hill, South Park, etc...) were just fancruft?

Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2007, 05:57:11 PM »
Max Payne didn't quite nail it. The aim point doesn't take into account of where the player charater is, especially with duals. You can aim right at some ones head and shoot bullets around it. RE4 by removing duals and using the laser, eliminated the difference between the camera and the player charater.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2007, 07:17:30 PM »
Lots of first person shooters have a slight disconnect between the crosshair and where the weapon is aiming, since the barrel isn't held right in the center of the screen.  Are you saying the first FPS to have a weapon with a laser sight should be credited as being the first game to get the first person perspective right?  What about Winback?  It controlled almost exactly like RE4 all the way back in the N64 days, right down to the aiming button and laser sight.

All I'm saying is that while it was absolutely an excellent decision for the Resident Evil series, RE4's camera wasn't anything particularly new.  As for GoW and others, I'd say their choice of camera angle had more to do with the fact that those games are so cover-based, with the whole sticking to walls novelty.  Implementing the same mechanic in the first person would give you a face full of wall a lot of times.
GOREGASM!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2007, 03:10:16 AM »
I think RE4 is one of those games that isn't particularly innovative, but is so well polished, and put together (not to mention popular) that it became the standard for future games. I'd say the same about Guitar Hero as well, though not nearly to the extent of RE4 since the DDR games have always had a big following.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2007, 06:07:12 AM »
I would argue that is was more innovative than that you give RE4 credit for Golden Phoenix. The game was has a number of gutsy gameplay mechanics that bucked the norm to what was expected out of a 3rd person shooter.

The greatest of them was that fact you couldn't move and shoot at the same time. It could be said that they simply carried that from the previous games, but they could have chossen to follow everybody else and allow shooting on the move. By not allowing movement while shooting, it forces the player to constantly answer the question of fight or flee. Other games made after this like GRAW has a similar mind set, but is extreamly restrictive as you can only fight or flee from cover. Any other option is attemped suicide.

Another thing they brought into the game was hit locations that meant something outside of damage calulations. Other games before it simulate damage on individual parts, eg Goldeneye. But RE4 made wounding a valid tactical option as it allowed you to save ammo and use an area attack.

The laser corrects the error between the camera, gun and aim point without resorting to multiple cursors or a jumpy self rangeing cursor.

Integrated Knife.

Max Payne, remembering back then was popular as hell. If it didn't do anything else, it brought bullet time to the masses. But it didn't bring just that. It allowed games to have a heavily stylised story and heavy action all in one neat package. No longer were shooters confined to things like the gates of hell or nazis. It effectively begain the physics race that still rages today.

But I cannot credit it for the camera system. It was too far from perfect or even flawless. When doing a Hollywood dive alot of the time, you can't see past Max's backside. As discussed already, the disconnect betwwen the PC and camera.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2007, 06:16:24 AM »

Originally posted by: oohhboy
I would argue that is was more innovative than that you give RE4 credit for Golden Phoenix. The game was has a number of gutsy gameplay mechanics that bucked the norm to what was expected out of a 3rd person shooter.

The greatest of them was that fact you couldn't move and shoot at the same time. It could be said that they simply carried that from the previous games, but they could have chossen to follow everybody else and allow shooting on the move. By not allowing movement while shooting, it forces the player to constantly answer the question of fight or flee. Other games made after this like GRAW has a similar mind set, but is extreamly restrictive as you can only fight or flee from cover. Any other option is attemped suicide.

Another thing they brought into the game was hit locations that meant something outside of damage calulations. Other games before it simulate damage on individual parts, eg Goldeneye. But RE4 made wounding a valid tactical option as it allowed you to save ammo and use an area attack.

The laser corrects the error between the camera, gun and aim point without resorting to multiple cursors or a jumpy self rangeing cursor.

Integrated Knife.

Max Payne, remembering back then was popular as hell. If it didn't do anything else, it brought bullet time to the masses. But it didn't bring just that. It allowed games to have a heavily stylised story and heavy action all in one neat package. No longer were shooters confined to things like the gates of hell or nazis. It effectively begain the physics race that still rages today.

But I cannot credit it for the camera system. It was too far from perfect or even flawless. When doing a Hollywood dive alot of the time, you can't see past Max's backside. As discussed already, the disconnect betwwen the PC and camera.

Sounds like alot of what you give RE4 credit for was done by PC shooters and action game. So no, I don't consider it innovative. Gutsy for a console game, MAYBE, but innovative, not really. I seen battle damage, so to speak, in various games before RE where shooting various parts of the body impact their movement in some way (heck I believe the first Resident Evil had something like that). Not sure I would give much innovation credit to the stopping and shooting, because they probably implemented that to make it more user friendly when you were aiming at your enemy's body parts (perhaps even to emphasize that fact).

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2007, 08:07:54 AM »
About the question regarding a PC monitor - (almost?) every PC monitor will let you display a 16:9 signal correctly even though it's on a 16:10 display. You can manually adjust how the image is stretched, or choose for it to not be stretched. You'll just have (very small) black bars at the top and/or bottom of the screen. XCM also just released a USB box that lets you play your Wii on a PC screen (via USB), and you can use it to record as well. $59 on divineo.com if anyone's interested.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2007, 10:31:32 AM »
Max Payne's camera system was different than RE4's.  

Offline Jome20

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2007, 07:35:46 PM »
I was very interested by the last letter in this edition of the Mailbag.  I can actually relate to what this person was saying.  Especially regarding the excitment of the titles that were out around the launch times.

I have noticed that there have been several people I know that say they NEVER really play their Wii since Zelda: TP.

I myself have at times, stopped playing my Wii for several weeks at a time.

I have also noticed that the Wii's initial launch window games seem to be shallow or lack depth.  Some may even see them as Tech Demoes.  Although that's certainly not a good thing, I relate this to the DS launch.  That had several games that seemed to be rather short, many that seemed gimmicky, and plenty that didn't really know how to utilize the DS to its fullest.  I believe the same will be the case for the Wii eventually and that we haven't even scratched the surface of what the system and controller setup is capable of.

I am amazed that the Wii is selling out like crazy.  Because for the past decade that hasn't been the case for Nintendo systems.  But I'm not completely shocked, considering they've had a smart game plan and their competition hasn't been very impressive (although the 360 is doing a decent job).  
I'm a student at DigiPen Institute of Technology, where I work on designing games and hope to do that for a living.  

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2007, 09:13:05 PM »
The Wii has a very solid lineup, and we forget that the N64 lineup variety pretty much sucked for months. Really the only games worth playing were SM64, Pilotwings and maybe Shadows of the Empire (but that game was a love or hate it) until MK64 came out.

Wii so far has:

Zelda:TP
Wii Sports
Excite Truck
Paper Mario
WarioWare
Sonic (another love/hate game)
Godfather
SSX Blur
Madden 2007

All of these games have received good to great reviews, and are liked (even loved) by a great many people. That to me is a solid lineup, even if you take out the "ports".