Author Topic: The NWR Mailbag Talkback Thread  (Read 51133 times)

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
The NWR Mailbag Talkback Thread
« on: January 07, 2007, 04:56:22 PM »
This is the catch-all talkback thread for the weekly mailbag update.  If you have any comments, wish to add something to the mailbag responses, or want to point out a gross error by the mailbag poobah, please do so in this thread.

Please, do not ask mailbag questions in this thread.  Use the mailbag submission form for that.  
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
RE:The NWR Mailbag Talkback Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 05:38:38 PM »
There's a typo. You said Composite instead of Component.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 06:18:36 AM »
What's wrong with the other mailbag talkback thread?  I answered your question in there from last time and no one even cared to read it.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 03:52:20 PM »

The cannon room save bug, for those not aware of it, occurs when you save your game of Twilight Princess at a certain point that won't let you progress on through the game when you reload it.

Can I get some specifics on that? I understand the need to avoid uber-spoilers, but I'm in interested/paranoid at what times these bugs happen. I just beat the Sky temple and beat the cave of ordeals. Am I safe?

So it goes without saying to make a copy of your save in case something happens right?
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
RE: The NWR Mailbag Talkback Thread
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 02:01:56 AM »
Djunknown, you're past the cannon room bug.  It was in the room in which you found the cannon that eventually shot you to the Sky temple.  If you had saved in there, what's-his-name would have vanished, so you wouldn't have been able to ask him to leave the room so Midna could turn you into a wolf and teleport.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 09:35:57 AM »
My question wasn't answered.

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 09:50:09 AM »
Holy crap, I can't beleve they actually responded to my letter, now I love you guys all the more (despite all your whinning)
Wemen are like Artichokes, you have to work hard to get to there hearts.

http://duhduhduhduh.phantomhourglass.org/main.php?id=8534

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 10:09:09 AM »
Quick note.  Windy says Wii Points are cheaper to buy directly with credit card because they don't charge sales tax.  That is not true of everywhere.  I get charged sales tax here in New York State.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 11:09:34 AM »
That's because New York sucks.  California is wonderful!

(It's probably because Nintendo has the store in NY, so they need to charge sales tax on account of them doing direct retail business in that state.)

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 11:37:33 AM »
Who complained about the single player in MP2, I will crush them.

They will have had all of 2005, 2006, and soon 2007 to finish smash bros with online. Surely that's enough time?

You said Forever Blue "...was announced ... in the weeks before the GameCube launch" but I think you meant Wii launch.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 11:47:10 AM »

Originally posted by: MJRx9000
They will have had all of 2005, 2006, and soon 2007 to finish smash bros with online. Surely that's enough time?

The team was assembled to create Brawl in October of 2005... so they have had all of 2006, not two years now.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 11:56:38 AM »
Wait a minute, Forever Blue was announced before the Gamecube was released?!!! That is definite news to me seeing as I didn't hear about it at all until E3 of 06.  Or was that just another typo in the second to last email?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 12:11:53 PM »
Forever Blue = Too Human Under the Sea
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 12:57:39 PM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
Forever Blue = Too Human Under the Sea

????? clerify that could ya?

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 12:59:45 PM »
Never Happening.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 01:42:51 PM »
Good to see more of the forumers  getting their letters published. Great questions!

If MP3 comes out during the first half of the year with online play, then we can breathe a small sigh of relief. MP3 is a heavy hitter no doubt, which should prompt the 3rd parties to take notice. But alas, we still don't know...

I've had problems finding Wii points (Or anything Wii-related for that matter.) too. Who knew this would be a hot item? In stroke of luck though, I stopped by Meijer's (Large catch-all chain like Target or Wal-mart) and found one lone card. I snatched it without delay, but still makes me wonder if the either the demand is too high or supply is way to low...
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007, 02:30:33 PM »
MP# shouldn'n at least come out within a month of Halo 3, I don't want Halo's popularity to overshine MP like it did when #2 came out.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 02:59:48 PM »
To the guy asking about the XCM universal cables - XCM usually makes some great quality stuff, so if you want that cable, buy it. I don't have one, I actually have a Pelican System Selector Pro component switcher that I bought 2 years ago ($100), so I can't guarantee it'll be satisfactory, but it should get the job done, and it will be out of sight. That other Pelican switch is pretty ugly. If you find the one that I have, it's basically "standard" DVD player size and has 9 inputs in it, including 4 optical audio jacks. You can also swap out the buttons to match your systems (although since I bought mine 2 years ago, there's no XBox 360, Wii, or PS3 buttons).
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 03:43:58 PM »

Originally posted by: MJRx9000
You said Forever Blue "...was announced ... in the weeks before the GameCube launch" but I think you meant Wii launch.

Oops, thanks for pointing that out.  Fixed now.

I've been having GameCube on my mind for the past few weeks.  You'll see why next week.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2007, 05:54:01 PM »
Is that a hint?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2007, 05:59:47 PM »
Never mind, I found my answer in a Gamespot interview.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2007, 07:30:01 PM »
I know, that sucks balls that they want to charge me sales tax even in the Shop Channel. What's worse is that don't seem to accept debit cards since I get an error everytime I try to use my Visa debit card (it says it's unable to verify the card).  
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007, 02:51:59 AM »

Originally posted by: WindyMan
The only way Nintendo can satisfy everyone looking forward to Brawl is to release it before March 2008 and have online four-player battles.

With all items and all stages available.  I know some people turn them off.  They can keep doing so, but I for one won't be satisfied unless the online game is indistinguishable from the offline game.  Yes, it is a tall order.

Originally posted by: WindyMan
(It's probably because Nintendo has the store in NY, so they need to charge sales tax on account of them doing direct retail business in that state.)

I have to pay sales tax here in Texas, too.  You technically owe sales tax (or use tax) to your state regardless (unless your state has no such tax), but I think Nintendo has to collect it if they report to the state's tax authority at all, which they do if they have any operations there.  I don't know what they've got in Texas.  They probably have servers in the Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex.  They may also have regional sales and support offices.  Texas is a good location for such things.  California is, too, of course, but the home office probably takes care of the whole west coast.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 03:19:57 AM »
Retro in Austin.  It isn't a retail outlet, but maybe it doesn't matter.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2007, 04:57:33 AM »
Ah, yes.  How silly of me to have forgotten.  Maybe if they could put out a game more than once every other year, I'd remember they existed more easily.