Author Topic: NWR Wii code list  (Read 3231 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
NWR Wii code list
« on: November 21, 2006, 01:12:14 AM »
The NWR Wii code list thread is currently 40+ codes strong after only 56 hours on the market.  At this rate it will reach 100 by Thanksgiving.  This presents a problem, as the code list on you Wii currently only holds 100 codes.

The problem's made worse when there's a news item on the main page asking people to join our forums just to post their Wii code.

There are already several codes in the list from posters who haven't posted a single message in the forums except for their Wii code.  (What's the point of that, anyway?  If you never post on the board and you don't know me, why do you want to be my friend and why do I want you for my friend?)  If this keeps up there won't be any room on anyone's list for the Bills and KnowsNothings of the forums.  (And the wanderings, too, I suppose; but no one really cares about them, anyway.)

I'm not suggesting that new people shouldn't join the forums; I think we have a great community here and I hope it continues to grow minus the clownboats, anyway.  However, I think we do need to come up with some sort of plan to ensure those people who aren't one of the first 100 posts in the thread still make it onto everyone's Wii.

Anyone have any ideas?  I have a couple, but I don't really like either.

The first is we could try to split the board up into teams or *shutter* clans based on any number of things:  favorite game genres, physical location, length of time at NWR and/or number of posts, etc.  Thing is, I don't really like this because (a) some people are sure get their feelings hurt, (b) it's not really a fix to the problem, and (c) it's kind of elitist (if you go by length of time with NWR).

The second idea I thought of (and I'm not even sure if it would work) it to create a giant daisy chain.  A portion of your friends code list would be dedicated to adding certain people to your list in a way where eventually everyone was connected to everyone else through someone else.  For example, if person A adds person B, and person B adds person A and person C, and person C adds person B, then in theory A should be able to play games with person C as long as person B is playing.  However, this doesn't solve a number of problems including (a) A and C can't play each other unless B is playing, (b) A and C can't exchange messages or Miis, and (c) it seems like a long, convoluted process that probably wouldn't work anyway.

So is there anything we can do besides beg Nintendo to increase the number of Wii codes you can have?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
RE: NWR Wii code list
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 01:37:40 AM »
there will always be a place in my list for Bill and KnowsKnothing, and other pietriots.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 11:53:28 AM »
Save space for me!!!!
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
RE:NWR Wii code list
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 11:58:22 AM »

Originally posted by: IceCold
Save space for me!!!!
I just realized that people's Miis are going to be really disheartening.  If IceCold's Mii doesn't look like T-Bone I'm going to be very sad and/or confused.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 12:03:19 PM »
I'm not sure any sort of system is really going to work....I think you should add whoever you want to add.  For the DS friend codes I would add all the forum regulars and actual friends and whatnot, and pretty much ignore everyone else.  Like vudu said, what's the point of being on someone's friend list if you have no outside relationship with them?

I know I'll never fill up my friend list with 100 people because there aren't that many people I would care to play with.  Still though, Nintendo will hopefully increase that number later on...
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 03:39:53 PM »
Yeah when Wii day comes down under, it's not like I'll be going through the thread adding everyone because PGC told me too. Only the cool cats of the forum.

But I do like the sound of the stutter plan. Not seperated by posts or time or anthing but the physical location and gamer type one.
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
RE:NWR Wii code list
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 12:44:35 PM »

Originally posted by: 18 Days
Yeah when Wii day comes down under, it's not like I'll be going through the thread adding everyone because PGC told me too. Only the cool cats of the forum.

But I do like the sound of the stutter plan. Not seperated by posts or time or anthing but the physical location and gamer type one.

Yeah, if I'm playing online I'll add those people from the forums that don't shite me to tears, and then send them mine in PM form. I'd rather keep it private and not get invites from Johnny Random because I can play against the Pietriots and those people on the NWR forums that are cool instead.

Leave it as it is. Maybe change the first post to be an summary of the numbers and sort them by your location (US players, European, Aussies etc) and let the readers choose who to add.

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 08:40:17 AM »
Perhaps we'll emphasize that the point of the friend list is to have quick access to anyone on the forums. If I want to add Jonny, or Vudu, I add them then PM them to let 'em know. Personally, I'm not going to add my code to the list because I don't want people to think I'm adding them as well.

Vudu, let's start a friend code thread in the funhouse. That would filter out the non-regs.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 08:59:43 AM »
Remember that people need to add each other to each other's friend lists for it to work.  Let them add all the friend codes they want to their own systems.  If you don't add them, they are simply wasting their address book space.

You can choose who you want on your list by adding them.  As Captain Planet would say, the power is yours.
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006, 08:35:06 AM »
I would love if we could get a Wii friend code thread with 5000 posts.  It's up to each person to decide who to add from that list.  You can use the first 100 posts, or the last 100 posts (since those people might be looking hardest for a matchup), or pick out the people you know from chat/forums/real life/whatever and then fill in the remaining slots randomly.  It's up to you.  The address book grays out people who have not added you, so after a few days you can easily prune the list and replace those slots with other people who may have added you.

Personally, I'm trying to add everyone until my slots fill up, and thereafter, when someone I know wants to trade codes, I will delete one of the people I don't really know to make space.  Who knows, I may eventually end up with 100 people I actually know and have a great pool of friends with whom to play online games.

Somewhere down the road, we could even make a separate thread of heavy-duty players (for instance, those who spend more than ten hours per week playing online and own at least five common online games) and let those people trade codes amongst themselves to make it easier for hardcore online players to find good matchups.  It would also be helpful for those of us reviewing online games.  By the same logic, we could have a newbie thread for people who want matchups against low-tier players who won't crush them.  But all of this branching out is premature at this time.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 12:31:19 AM »
I just want Ian to add himself.
pietriots.com
Calenture