Author Topic: Wii S-Video/Component Cables, aka NINTENDO PHAIL REPORT  (Read 69206 times)

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Wii S-Video Cables (Component cables too) aka "NINTENDO PHAIL REPORT"
« Reply #175 on: October 08, 2007, 10:30:34 AM »
Hey Pro, I found a great site for cheap cables, but I'm not sure if they're any good. Here and here are their Wii component cables - look any good?

EDIT: Apparently the second link is the same as the first - just search for "3566" to see the second one.  
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #176 on: October 08, 2007, 11:47:57 AM »
They look like Frankenstein mix-ups of previously released cables.  They probably get the job done as good as any other set since they're probably from the same factories that other brands originate from.

But I'd stay away from the store cuz the pictures and product descriptions are INCONSISTENT.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline oiram

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 19, 2007, 07:42:05 AM »
I have a question for you S-video cable owners.

With my gamecube, my s-video cable is split so that the s-video plug goes to the TV and the audio plugs go to my surround sound.  However, all of the Wii s-video cables look like they can't be split (the cable is one big cable until the last few inches).  Is there a way to cut them open and split them, or are there any that can be split?

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 19, 2007, 07:44:32 AM »
My S-Video cable for the Wii is split as well. I have the Blaze one.
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline oiram

• View Profile
RE:Wii S-Video Cables (Component cables too) aka "NINTENDO PHAIL REPORT"
« Reply #179 on: October 19, 2007, 08:11:08 AM »
How did you split them?  With my GC cable I just pulled them apart, but with the blaze cables it doesn't look like you can do that, on this diagram it looks like it is one cable for most of the length. (the diagram could be wrong though)

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #180 on: October 19, 2007, 11:32:31 AM »
Ghisy's cable is not split, or he's totally identifying the wrong brand.

What should be done is completely connect the A/V cable to the TV set.  Set the TV audio into a pass-thru mode (deactivate TV speakers; deactivate TV volume control).  Then route the RCA Audio-Out from the TV to the surround sound receiver using an additional RCA stereo cable.

OR

Buy an A/V switchbox.  Route the switchbox directly to the TV and surround sound, separately (more cables needed).  All other A/V sources will neatly connect to the switchbox, so no cable splitting required.

Don't go splitting cable sets.  Avoid such extremes.

I don't mind splitting typical male-male A/V sets, cuz I'll completely detach them for separate uses.

Offline oiram

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 19, 2007, 02:33:34 PM »
Thanks for the response.  I figured it might screw up the shielding if I messed with the cable.  I'll try the TV-out thing or purchase some extension cables (the good switchbox's cost too much).

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 19, 2007, 09:44:17 PM »
My S-Video cable
My bad, I did not understand your question correctly: it is split but only towards the end of the cable, near the plugs, like you said.
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #183 on: October 27, 2007, 12:26:00 PM »
Finally sharing this article with everyone. (also added it to my 2nd post in this thread for faster reference)

>> My Wii / GameCube Video Connection Comparison <<
Screenshot comparison of the different video connection options for Wii & GameCube
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 03:25:31 PM by MADONNA DYNOMITE »

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 27, 2007, 01:50:26 PM »
Nice job. Component WTF.
"wow."

Offline oiram

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 28, 2007, 04:42:19 PM »
Got my Wii the other day, just dropping in to let you guys know that the best deal for S-video is now probably Gamestop's "premium" cable. They lowered the price to 13 bucks.  It's solidly constructed and the picture is great.  No complaints, except maybe Zack and Wiki is too fun and taking up too much of my free time.

Also, the cable is actually manufactured by Madcatz, which is funny considering the "gamestop" one seems to be of higher quality than the more expensive "madcatz" cable.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #186 on: October 28, 2007, 05:39:55 PM »
Not funny, more like late to the party and taking a price drop under pressure (cuz no one would buy it at the ridiculous original price).  The original Madcatz cable has been out about twice as long as the GameStop version.  The GameStop version simply has extra plastic, extra paint, and lacks the composite video connector, meaning you can't consider it as the definitive replacement of the default Nintendo cables since it doesn't provide you with that "backup" option.

originally,
GameStop = $30, no composite hookup, 6-ft long
Madcatz = $20, w/ composite hookup, 10-ft long
^ this info is already on the first page of the thread

The price drop tells me something more interesting:  the "GameStop" brand cable is being discontinued and they want to clear stock since sales have been slow from the start.

$13 is simply a deal for those who haven't upgraded till now.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: Wii S-Video/Component Cables, aka NINTENDO PHAIL REPORT
« Reply #187 on: April 18, 2008, 09:32:12 PM »
Updated the first post with a real guide.

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 19, 2008, 05:10:39 PM »
I bought my component cord from dealxtreme for 6us posted from hong kong, works great

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #189 on: April 19, 2008, 05:19:06 PM »
You saved big $$$.

Then again you didn't ask for much.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 11, 2008, 05:36:43 PM »
I have a question, is there some card that can capture from component cables in a PC? or PC capture devices are exclusively s-video? I finally upgraded my PC and it would be a shame if I don't take advantage of its new shiny 22" monitor for playing wii games, but the thing only has dvi inputs.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Mikintosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 12, 2008, 06:05:06 AM »
mine uses AV cables (like the ones that come with the Wii) tho I bought it in 2004/5.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 12, 2008, 11:18:36 AM »
a quick google search tells me that these devices are either scarce or way too expensive, so I will have to live without capturing screens and video from the wii in 480p, also simple conversion of component signal to DVI signal seems hard (read: expensive), so I will have to just resign to s-video, thats it if I can find s-video cables in my area. I really wanted to try some widescreen wii action :( maybe not all hope is lost, I will research more about it too see if I can find a cheap solution
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #193 on: May 12, 2008, 06:42:22 PM »
I paid $400 to get my capture card from a Japanese AUCTION 1.5 years ago (It was lying in a box for a half-year until I could afford to make a computer to put it in).  It covers the bases like 480p, 720p, 60fps, widescreen detection, and stuff, but it's only sold in Japan, requires Japanese D-Terminal cables, requires TOSLINK optical digital audio input, and the software/menus are only in Japanese (my WinXP is running in Japerneze mode), and I knew enough Japanese to surivive the whole purchase/installation/usage process. (yes, it was a gamble)

The only other card that does 480p-Component and is in the CONSUMER end of the market is
http://www.leadtek.com/eng/tv_tuner/overview.asp?lineid=6&pronameid=399

It's mostly found in Euroland at the moment, for abour 45 Euros.  I don't know anyone who has it, and the reviews I found were not helpful.  I do not know if it will display/capture 60fps, has video lag, or if it detects/ignores widescreen images.

If it detects widescreen properly, then the TV window should be wide like this http://ssv.vgafix.com/misc/vidcomp/re4_cut8.html
(or include a widescreen viewing option)

If it doesnt detect properly, the window will look like this http://ssv.vgafix.com/misc/vidcomp/re4_cut7.html
(cuz the picture is like this in reality; widescreen televisions do the extra step of stretching it to the proper ratio)
... in which case, when running the TV tuner program on your computer, you have to stretch your TV window horizontally to get the proper effect -- but there's a small chance the window won't allow independent stretching between the horizontal and vertical dimensions.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 12, 2008, 09:24:59 PM »
Thanks, that was very informative!

I think I'm going to search locally to see what the market has to offer, and I will get back to the thread in case I find something.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 10, 2008, 09:48:13 AM »
ok I just wasted $60 on those damn component cables.

Seriously, I was expecting at least some improvement, but the games look even more jagged than before! what the hell am I doing wrong? The new HDTV we got has so far been a disappointment. I'm going to try a more direct comparison with simple AV cable to at least try to justify the waste of money.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #196 on: July 10, 2008, 12:17:43 PM »
"Seriously, I was expecting at least some improvement."
What would be your reference?

SDTVs display standard resolutions better than HDTVs, that is the truth. (lolololol blurry jaggies, fail-definition television)
Standard AV and 480p-component on HDTVs worsen by similar degrees, but AV will still look relatively worse than component.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 11, 2008, 10:18:13 AM »
Indeed, my reference is SDTV.

I will plug the wii directly into the AV as I said which will make me see the difference more clearly. I'm glad however to finally be able to play in widescreen.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 05, 2008, 05:47:33 PM »
This guide is FAIL.  Don't make me think for myself.  Just tell me what is the best component cable for $X.XX.  :tpg:
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #199 on: November 05, 2008, 06:17:28 PM »
ask ebay!