Author Topic: A mic on the Wiimote seems promising  (Read 2764 times)

Offline TomBracco

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
A mic on the Wiimote seems promising
« on: September 07, 2006, 11:56:10 PM »
Spit Valves for the Wii-mote?

While hearing the crackle of the bow and the whizz of the arrow sounds great, what if we can actually play the ocaria we may see in Twilight Princess. Considering that the Nintendo DS has a microphone on it that players are able to blow into while manipulating something on screen like a sailboat for exmple makes it clear that the Wiimote could handle such functionality if it sports a fancy microphone. Maybe then we can hold it like a flute with our left hand touching the d-pad and the A button for each note and our right just for extra support while blowing into it to ring each note out. You'd only hear the notes if you blew like a real flute or ocarina. This is something very possible that would not only work extremely well but would add something even greater to the game, the chance to actually feel as if you are playing the ocarina, something many Zelda fans would find very exciting.  

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
RE: A mic on the Wiimote seems promising
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 04:25:08 AM »
I've also thought that a microphone makes alot of sense considering it's heavy use in the DS. I like your idea for the Ocarina in Zelda, definitely an interesting application of the Wiimote. Hopefully Nintendo has this as it's last card up their sleeve. Maybe on the 14th we will know for sure.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 04:35:48 AM »
I see this being of limited use.  Much better served by a wireless headset.  The controller is getting pretty crowded as it is.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:A mic on the Wiimote seems promising
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 04:46:31 AM »
Ocarina Of Time was great, but how many times can you play it?  It's on the N64. It's twice on the GameCube; once on the Wind Waker pre-order disc, along with the Master Quest version, and then yet again on The Legend Of Zelda Collectors Edition disc.  Okay, maybe not everyone pre-orders or subscribes to Nintendo Power to get these goodies, but still.

I guess there are other instruments used in Zelda games (like a flute, and I think there was another ocarina or flute in one of the GBC games) so it wouldn't be surprising if it showed up again, and I realize that it was really just an example...but a microphone on the controller may be of limited use and it's crowded enough as it is.

Okay, maybe not too-limited use...the DS uses it in some games, there's always online chat, Hey You Pikachu!, Mario Party 6, Mario Party 7, Odama, and other crazy uses Nintendo could come up with but I think a headset would be more comfortable (not to mention more stylish, and, you know, "hardcore"-looking.  Maybe).

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 05:26:57 AM »
I'm fairly certain Nintendo has already confirmed they decided against a mic in the remote.
The reason being that people are not accustomed to speaking into remotes. As if they are accustomed to swinging them around like swords. LOL.
But it was also stated that a head-set accessory was likely.  Anyone have a link? I swear I read it on N-Philes.

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 06:04:59 AM »
I already saw a pic of a headset for the DS a couple weeks ago. It rests over the ear. Compatibility with Wii is probable. Making it cross-compatible seems like a logical thing to do.  

Edit: Linkypoo
"wow."

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 06:35:18 AM »

Originally posted by: Michael8983
As if they are accustomed to swinging them around like swords. LOL.

Whaaaaaaaaat?  That's the way it is done, my friends.

If you change the channel at my house on my tv, you damn well better yell out BYAAAAAAAAHH! like Dave Chapelle imitating Howard Dean as you swing it through the air, felling another channel in the pursuit of worthwhile shows to watch.  
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 06:52:30 AM »
What happens when you Smite all the Channels because their is nothing good on?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 06:54:51 AM »
Well isn't it obvious?

You destroy the TV, buy another one, and hope the new one has better channels.

BYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 10:23:43 AM »
why can't Wii work with those yuppie-bluetooth earpiece/microphones ?  
I'll shut up now...

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 02:20:20 PM »
I would really love a mic in the Wii especially for a Harry Potter game (yes I am a HP nut). It would be so cool to move the Wii remote a certain way for a certain spell and say the spell.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144