Author Topic: 1upyours 8/18/06 Nintendo could sell Wii for $99  (Read 22891 times)

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:1upyours 8/18/06 Nintendo could sell Wii for $99
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2006, 05:07:53 PM »
Ahaha Nemo must zone in and out of his own frantic internet whinging. None of it ever makes sense.

Originally posted by: nemo_83

if i took my GCN to EB to sell they probably wouldn't give me fourty bucks.

lol yeah coz Wii is just a GameCube dur dur waggle wand, some extras.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2006, 05:36:14 PM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
They more I think about it the more I think they couldn't do it.  We haven't even consider what cut the sellers get of the price tag.  Let me rephrase.  If Nintendo sold the Wii at $99 I'm sure they have to make that up somewhere.  There is only 2 places that could come from.  Licensing fees and higher MSRP.  So what do you want a very reasonable initial price for a system or a very unreasonable price for the games?

You are right Ceric, I also believe that selling it for so low would make the innovative controls seem like a sparkling innovation. Yes it is perception but when Nintendo is touting the Wii as something that will be innovating gaming and yet sells it for dirt cheap, that is sending a CLEAR message inferiority (there is more to a system than the graphical powers when it comes to how inferior or superior it is).
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2006, 05:50:48 PM »
"Nintendo could sell Wii for $99"

And I could give up all my worldy pssessions and join a cult in hopes of catching a spiritual ride on a passing comet, but I won't.

and I think you get my point.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2006, 06:06:32 PM »

Originally posted by: Deguello

and if Nintendo can sell it at $99 and still turn profit then they better sell it at $99; i'm not a fan of being overcharged. yes, it does make it seem like a clunker when sitting beside the $599 PS3, but hey, that's Nintendo's fault for taking this strategy.

Nemo, if you honestly believe this, you are an idiot.  Seriously.

You guys are saying that if Nintendo could sell it at $99 you would rather they gouge you in the ass and charge a hundred dollars more than it costs them to make it.

Even at the more likely production cost of $150, you still want Nintendo to screw you and charge you two hundred?  

And I'm the idiot?  

Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Grubdog

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: 1upyours 8/18/06 Nintendo could sell Wii for $99
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2006, 06:26:06 PM »
Yes.

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2006, 06:31:53 PM »
Well, obviously, I would like to secure a Wii for as little money as possible, so if it can be $99, bring it on!

However, at a more realistic $199, I would still buy it, and Nintendo would be better off doing so.  Nintendo knows the hype is there, if they wanted to push it to $249, I bet they would still be really hot this Christmas.

Offline Invincible Donkey Kong

• DK Crew. HUH!
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2006, 06:53:55 PM »

Originally posted by: Grubdog
Yes.

Ditto.
Buy Zap's perler bead art!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/NewDonkCityVending

Operation: Get Zap a Switch GoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/get-zap-a-switch

Summer of Donk ~ 2017 Twitch meetups! ~ DKC2
https://www.twitch.tv/zapr2k

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2006, 11:20:12 PM »

Originally posted by: ReggieFA

Yes.

Ditto.

While MS and Sony sell consoles at hundreds in losses (mostly their own sloppy fault-- blu laser) you guys are saying that if Nintendo can sell the Wii (and break even or even turn profit) between $99-149 that you would rather they inflate the price fifty to a hundred dollars just to squeeze money out of...you?  

The thing is like a third the size of PS3.  It has a fifth of the RAM of 360.  There is no harddrive.  No wacky blu lasers or multi cored blunders driving up costs.  It is cleaned up GCN with 96 MB of RAM, emulation software I can thieve right now if I want, and the online hardware they should have had in 2001.  The whole purpose of the Wii is to push a peripheral that was planned for GameCube but couldn't be launched because not even the second coming could save the lunch box's reputation at that point (and then the tech would be looked at as a failure).  

I'm not alone in believing that either.  Developers believe that.  And obviously, journalist believe it as well.  I'm trying to look at the positive ($99 price according to developers) and you guys are calling me an idiot for thinking Nintendo should charge what it cost them to make their console.  With such a low starting price they can use the Wii to expand their market while prepping the real thing in two to three years.

Will cheapness and imagination win out against power and money in the console sector like it did with the portable market?  We may find out as soon as this fall.

You should keep in mind that third parties are looking at putting their games across three platforms next gen; PS3, 360, and PC.  Few will spend money downgrading.  They never spent the time or money to give GameCube proper ports when the console was adequetly powered.  
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2006, 01:07:24 AM »

The whole purpose of the Wii is to push a peripheral that was planned for GameCube but couldn't be launched because not even the second coming could save the lunch box's reputation at that point (and then the tech would be looked at as a failure).

Good lord, where do you get this constant stream of bullshit from? Do you live with Ian?

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2006, 01:15:01 AM »
Nemo... Seriously.

If you believe more technology went into making the DS than the Wii, so much so that the Wii should be significantly cheaper than it, you are absolutely loopy.

You are operating under a big list of great assumptions on your part.

1. You know how much the Wii costs to manufacture, and that it somehow costs in the realm of $100.
2. Nintendo is somehow obligated to sell at a tremendous loss just because their competitors do.
3. Size of product somehow dictates cost of product.
4. You probably also assume the Wii features the specs from a list of specs that has been repeatedly rebuked for simple problems as the presence of GDDR in place of the much widely advertised MoSys.

None of those are true.  Yet you claim them all as fact and act like Nintendo is making a big mistake by offering the Wii under what you assume it costs them without any sort of source whatsoever to back up your claim.  And you also continue to use troll-type language (lunchbox HURK HURK HURKITY HURK) that makes me question if you seriously enjoy posting at PGC.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Grubdog

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2006, 02:17:56 AM »
If we adopt Nemos logic, then the PSP should be around $40. It's just an even SMALLER shrunk down GC, with even WORSE hardware, and it doesn't actually play GC games at all!

Offline eljefe

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2006, 05:09:11 AM »
as much as I would want it for 99, there are crazy people (who happen to make up the majority of the population) who equate price with quality. That assumption is not all accurate (case in point, pretty much ALL nintendo products).

170 is perfect. Close enough to 200 to be smart from a profit standpoint. Close enough to 150 to win over many impulse buyers. And on the surface it is quite a distance away from the 360 pricepoint.

I would actually like a base of 135 USD (just Wii & one nunchaku setup) then retailers can bundle there way up to the 200 range if they want to.
..:    I just noticed WTF is FTW backwords. Sometimes when you think things are going bad, they suddenly turn around. Much like this thread. For the win.  :.   MJRx9000

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2006, 06:54:39 AM »
You know, with all the numbers I've seen in the past couple of months, I'm going straight back to assuming it will be about $200.  Hopefully Nintendo will reveal the actual price and launch date later this week to put and end to this foolishness!  Err, don't know what we'll talk about after that, but whatever.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline getter77

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2006, 07:03:31 AM »
Somebody dig up my old Temptation of Greed thread to see this same circular arguement WITHOUT all the vitriol in this one.  Jeez..

The way I see it, so long as the Wii is at least 20-30$ more expensive than the DS at any given time...Nintendo is acting wisely.  From Reggie's last blurb...it is clear Nintendo understands the power and majesty of a WiiDs combo as opposed to a Wii60...or even just a 360.

150-175 is the magic number.  If they want to be trailblazers, charging more or equal to the amount they have for pretty much every previous console isn't gonna cut it near as well with trying to tempt new people into gaming.

Otherwise check the old thread back when it was a kinder and gentler time round here...
The Exiled Videogame Enthusiast

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2006, 08:02:52 AM »

Originally posted by: Deguello
Nemo... Seriously.

If you believe more technology went into making the DS than the Wii, so much so that the Wii should be significantly cheaper than it, you are absolutely loopy.

You are operating under a big list of great assumptions on your part.

1. You know how much the Wii costs to manufacture, and that it somehow costs in the realm of $100.
2. Nintendo is somehow obligated to sell at a tremendous loss just because their competitors do.
3. Size of product somehow dictates cost of product.
4. You probably also assume the Wii features the specs from a list of specs that has been repeatedly rebuked for simple problems as the presence of GDDR in place of the much widely advertised MoSys.

None of those are true.  Yet you claim them all as fact and act like Nintendo is making a big mistake by offering the Wii under what you assume it costs them without any sort of source whatsoever to back up your claim.  And you also continue to use troll-type language (lunchbox HURK HURK HURKITY HURK) that makes me question if you seriously enjoy posting at PGC.

Awesome points, we still do not know for sure how much Wii costs to produce and that just applies to the hardware. That does not take into consideration the cost of the Wiimote or whatever else they decide to include in the package. If I recall Nintendo has stated they could even lose some money on the Wii, so that leads to me to believe that this 99$ thing is crap. Not to mention the fact that GC is priced at 80-90$? What kind of image would that give the Wii if it was priced like 10 or 20$ more than GC? That would be a huge blunder, and like someone else stated, whether it makes sense or not people do equate price with quality.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2006, 08:45:37 AM »
I rate this thread 7.9.

It's not even a "good" 7.9.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2006, 08:54:01 AM »

If we adopt Nemos logic, then the PSP should be around $40.

And an iPod Nano would cost like 10 bucks!! haha (I would buy it at this price though!!)
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2006, 09:17:49 AM »
I honestly think this thread should be locked, its rediculous to think that such a low price point will be reached atr launch. it should say "Nintendo could sell Wii for $99 by Christmas 2008"

150-175 is the magic number. If they want to be trailblazers, charging more or equal to the amount they have for pretty much every previous console isn't gonna cut it near as well with trying to tempt new people into gaming.

If that is the "magic" number then why release at that price? Do you really think the "Non-gamers" and the "lapsed" gamers are really gonna be the ones lined up around the corner the night b4 launch to get their hands on a Wii?
If $150-$175 is the "magic" # then wouldn't you want to reserve that # until production is able to overcompensate for the demand of the product, you know like around the time sales start to slow down and you need a boost?

Offline getter77

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2006, 09:29:12 AM »
Again, the other critical part is that the Wii shouldn't be = or cheaper than the DSL.  150-175 is the "magic number" because that range is currently in line enough about the current cost for a DS Lite.

A good release price is better than a bloated one with implied eventual relief(implied only to full blown gamers).  Think of the PR battle to be waged if a 250 Wii fails to outsell a 600+ PS3 for instance...if people go ahead and write the Wii off from the start no price drop to 150 in a year is going to mean much to them...just like such matters didn't for the GC.  All IMO of course.

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I don't think a new control style + cheaper than ever before price in absolute terms is a bad way to go in terms of opening the door wider for more people to get into gaming...and that IS the market Nintendo is aiming for primarily I think.  250 is still 250...and that price is less attractive by far than 150...ESPECIALLY considering the holiday rush shopping that'll soon be upon us.

If the DSL somehow got booted down to 99...well...I don't think it'd be unreasonable for the Wii to cost 130-150/170.  I just don't like the traditional 200 price point unless they are truly cramming lots of stuff into it.
The Exiled Videogame Enthusiast

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2006, 09:31:17 AM »
Look, I'm sure Nintendo has these experts with their charts and graphs trying to come out with the perfect balance of supply and price to meet demand and make maximum profit.

Considering that the competition is going to be between like $100-$400 more, the Wii is already a deal, especially if people love it as much as the hype suggests.  You're getting what could potentitally be the best console for a lot less, yet this Christmas I'm sure they could sell all of the Wiis shipped at $200 - twice as much as some people seem to be suggesting that they could charge.

Price drops are weapons used against the competition.  Expect price drops on following Christmases, the release of major games for other consoles, about the same time as their price drops, etc.  One day a new Wii might sell for $99 - but if they started at that price, they wouldn't be able to go much lower, now could they?

Again, I'd love to pick up a Wii for $99 if possible myself (who does want to pay more?), but Nintendo certainly shouldn't sell it that low this soon - the demand is there to be able to sell it for more and no company looks away from profit.  

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2006, 09:35:44 AM »

Originally posted by: JonLeung
Look, I'm sure Nintendo has these experts with their charts and graphs trying to come out with the perfect balance of supply and price to meet demand and make maximum profit.

Considering that the competition is going to be between like $100-$400 more, the Wii is already a deal, especially if people love it as much as the hype suggests.  You're getting what could potentitally be the best console for a lot less, yet this Christmas I'm sure they could sell all of the Wiis shipped at $200 - twice as much as some people seem to be suggesting that they could charge.

Price drops are weapons used against the competition.  Expect price drops on following Christmases, the release of major games for other consoles, about the same time as their price drops, etc.  One day a new Wii might sell for $99 - but if they started at that price, they wouldn't be able to go much lower, now could they?

Again, I'd love to pick up a Wii for $99 if possible myself (who does want to pay more?), but Nintendo certainly shouldn't sell it that low this soon - the demand is there to be able to sell it for more and no company looks away from profit.

Exactly, also I think historically Nintendo has made little to no profit on their consoles, maybe even minor losses. So whatever price point they choose will probaly fall within the expected cost of the Wii hardware that is included.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2006, 09:42:36 AM »
Thanx JonLeung for basically saying the rest of what I was trying to say. I think way faster than I can type so I never seem to be able to type out exactly what I'm thinking cause I alway get too far ahead of myself and start to lose my point when back tracking.

Offline Neodymium

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2006, 09:46:47 AM »
It's going to be 200 dollars. That's all there is to it. Maybe, maybe 250 with a bunch of junk, but 200 for all intents and purposes.
The Mighty Pirate formerely known as PS2stinks..

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2006, 09:57:22 AM »
Yep.  The thing is we all know that the Wii will not drop less then $99 during it's productive years.  When it successor comes then it can drop.  It's a whole image thing.  Starting at $250 gives it room to go somewhere and allows for cheaper games.  Nintendo WILL make a profit one way or another.  They are not NASA.  They do not develop technology to benefit mankind.  They do so for a profit.

Starting at $99 means thats what you will always pay for a Wii.  I think its sad the most people here are more willing to pay 200 or more dollars for a new cellphone with features you'll more than likely never take advantage of and are not willing to pay $250 for a feature rich console that you will more than likely use most of the features.   I mean looking at the cheapest plans $39.99 for 450 minutes thats about 7.5 hours.  1 game will more then likely get you more then that.  So forget your cellphone and buy a Wii and 1 game a month.  You'll thank me later.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2006, 10:18:30 AM »
GoNintendo has a comment from EA stating they believe it will be $170 in Japan.  I believe Nintendo will actually release less than that, or at a potential loss in the US, if $170 is Nintendo still making a profit.

$170 doesn't look nearly as good as $149.99 as a US price point.  And at $149.99 we are getting the system for over $100 cheaper than the Xbox 360 and what like $1,000 cheaper than the PS3?