Author Topic: Advertisements (A reccomendation for the site)  (Read 11994 times)

Offline Cru_Jones83

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Advertisements (A reccomendation for the site)
« on: March 03, 2003, 02:59:19 PM »
I love those ads where it is an intermediate between where you are coming from and where you are going.  I hope oyu know what I mean, I saw it when I was going to the forums tonight.  IGN has been using them for a while, same with gamespy.  I like how you can just click the link to leave the ad.  As well, it doesn't slow down my computer by having 3 pop-ups loading at once.

My reccomendation, try and convert most of your ads to this format because it is much more user friendly.

Thanks
F*CK THE FREEWORLD
~ B. Rabbit

Offline Sean

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2003, 04:45:33 PM »
I would much rather have pop-ups.  Those "in-betweeners" (to use an animation term) REALLY, REALLY, REALLY annoy me.  I'm on dial-up, so I'll click a link and go check on something only to come back and see that ALL ALONG some stupid commercial has been playing instead of my page loading.

I for one hate those ads.  Sorry.
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline Cru_Jones83

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2003, 07:21:40 PM »
Question for the first reply...

my experience with 56k is that it takes even longer for windows to pop-up on dialup because their is an ADDITIONAL page trying to load so the bandwidth is split between them, I know that you can close them immediately, but it still takes your bandwidth away, so I don't really see the arguement.  Anyways.. just a comment.  You have your preferences I have mine, I think its an excellent way to advertise and they are usually alot more interesting than "pop-up eliminator"
F*CK THE FREEWORLD
~ B. Rabbit

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2003, 06:07:44 AM »
Personally I can't stand anything but banner ads but the "in between" ads aren't as bad as pop-ups or those ultra annoying flash ads that get in the way of the content you're reading.  Once every 24 hours for an "in between" ad is okay.  I can't stand the IGN way though where it does that almost everytime I go to another page.  You don't get a commercial break every minute with TV so you shouldn't get a full screen ad every time you go to a different page.

Anyway I've noticed two bugs with the in-between ads.  First of all it says "the Planet Gamecube" instead of "the Planet Gamecube forums".  I assume that's a typo.  Second whenever I get a full screen ad when I get to the forum every reply is marked as already read no matter what.  It's as if I loaded up the forum and then hit the refresh button.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2003, 06:54:35 AM »
Thanks, Ian.  I'll see what I can do about those.  Not sure if the second one can be fixed, though, since the URL isn't specified in the code, but pulled based on the page you're going to.  FuseTalk sees it as you hitting the page twice.  Maybe I'll just move what page it's on ...
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2003, 06:59:56 AM »
well planetgamecube is implmentign these far better then ign....they are all the freakign tiem on ign...soemtimes you cant get to where you want to go because they just keep takign you back to the advertisements.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Tsunekazu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2003, 10:06:59 AM »
It's a never-ending ad for Safari users.  It loads the ad, then the forum page, then the ad, then the forum page, etc.

It's likely Safari's fault, but it still forces me to use a seperate browser to access PGC.  Very annoying.

Offline Cru_Jones83

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2003, 10:31:53 AM »
personally, i could stand these ads once every 8 hours....

i agree the flash ones can be annoying... but thats the price you pay for quality and free journalism... I would much rather have free quality ad ridden journalism, than poor journalism, ridden with ads at a price (IE IGN).

Keep up the good work Rick, everyone appreciates it.
F*CK THE FREEWORLD
~ B. Rabbit

Offline Sean

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2003, 10:35:37 AM »
I guess my point is that all ads are annoying, of course, but they are necessities and I understand this.  A site like IGN, which I pay for (sometimes I wonder why), has more ads than most free sites I visit, and many free sites I go to have next to NONE, save the occasional pop-up.

I never really notice any bandwidth loss with pop-ups because they load very quickly with low-data graphics, as I can tell, but interstitials can be VERY annoying at a place like IGN.  I mean, I get them in-between screenshots, even.  That's lame.  I just hate walking back to the computer and seeing an ad when I was hoping the page would be ready for viewing.

It's a small complaint and I HONESTLY DON'T CARE AT ALL, but sicne this thread is about what ad's are better, I figured I'd throw in my two cents.  Not a bid deal either way.  

They keep this site free, and that's so helpful for most of us.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2003, 10:53:49 AM »

Keep up the good work Rick, everyone appreciates it.

*sigh*

If only that were true.  

A great deal of what I do goes completely unnoticed by the populace, as well it should.  And considering the flak I get for being the resident "forum nazi", it seems even the things I do that are noticable go unnoticed (or at least, unappreciated).  Fact is, most people don't care until it directly impacts them, and in most cases, when what I do impacts them, it's negative.

*sigh*
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline rodtod

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2003, 01:38:03 PM »
then take our silence as a compliment
will the real rodtod please stand up, please stand up, please stand u-[SMACK!]

Offline Gamer Donkey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2003, 04:56:41 PM »
*silence*

I think all of the staff here does a great job at giving us quality journalism and clean forums. Anyway Sean, when you go to the site, just wait long enough for the text link to load(it loads fast) hit that right away then leave. Just a little tip from a fellow dial-uper.

On the subject of bugs. I've noticed that sometimes the new ost icons work, sometimes all the threads have them, and yet other times none have them. Has anyone else noticed this? Sorry thats off-topic, but Ian reminded me.
"Heh, i just saw a petition somewhere for Halo to come to PS2. Hey look a green donkey!"

-Mario (Just found it interesting...)

The Gaming Donkey has returned.

Offline Sean

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2003, 04:59:01 AM »
Rick and fellow posters,

I swear, I wasn't complaining about the site's ads!  I was merely responding to the thread topic and saying that pop-ups are actually better for me simply because I hardly notice them since most seem to go behind windows nowadays and I don't notice a significant hit in bandwidth.

The interstitials aren't annoying here at all--since they rarely happen.  I was talking about IGN where, for me at least, there's an ad in between ALMOST every other page.  I was just saying that gets more annoying than pop-ups.  It was just me talking--I couldn't care less about ads--like I said--they keep things free, and that is something to very, very happy about.

Just thought I'd clear that up!

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2003, 09:29:55 AM »
::Silence::

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2003, 05:51:00 PM »
What are the "in-between" ads?

I haven't minded the adds at all.  This site is far better when it comes to adds than almost any other.  At least the two pop-ups when I first go to Planetgamecube.com stay closed.   I barely notice the adds in the forums.
it was time for a change.

Offline Sean

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2003, 01:42:38 PM »
I barely notice them here as well, Marcus.  At IGN, you actually PAY a substantial amount per year (especially considering they have no publication costs, although I understand server costs are very high), and there are ads upon ads there.  Here, there is what...I think Rick said one "interstitial" every 24 hours?  Wow.  I do try to keep my sound down when I'm here though--those "Willard" ads can be a bit terrifying...haha.

Cru_Jones...by the way...I've been thinking more about what I said in favor of pop-ups, and I find that you're right--the in-between ads really are more friendly and easier to deal with.  Oh well...haha...everyone has a lapse of judgment every so often, but I guess the IGN interstitials really did a number on me...haha.

Offline Gamer Donkey

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2003, 03:16:49 PM »
That Willard ad scared me too, took about 2 days to find out what it was. I just wish there was a way to make the text load before the ads, that way I could start reading right away cuz I don't even look at the ads{Edit: my mistake, it already does}. I refuse to pay for IGN, sure I miss out on stories but I bypass the screenshots and movies restriction by turning off cookies. Don't quote me on that.  
"Heh, i just saw a petition somewhere for Halo to come to PS2. Hey look a green donkey!"

-Mario (Just found it interesting...)

The Gaming Donkey has returned.

Offline Cru_Jones83

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2003, 09:04:04 PM »
Sean

I think in moderation this form of advertising is fine, but you are right, IGN has taken it too far... I mean, inbetweeners between going from a picture back to the picture index, come on.
F*CK THE FREEWORLD
~ B. Rabbit

Offline PGC-Agent Cooper

• Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2003, 04:46:43 PM »
Do you pay for Planet GameCube?  Don't complain.  Enough said.
Billy Berghammer
Founder -- Planet GameCube.com

Offline Cru_Jones83

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2003, 09:59:38 PM »
I dont think that anyone was really complaining, just stating preferences.  We all realize how lucky we are that you guys give us quality journalism for free.  But this is the place to discuss PGC site related matters and this is just a reccomendation, not a complaint.  If it can't be done, it can't be done... nuff said.
F*CK THE FREEWORLD
~ B. Rabbit

Offline PGC-Agent Cooper

• Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2003, 07:38:19 AM »
It's just getting a little tiring to keep sifting throught the 18 posts about people complaining about the ads.  Ads = survival.  People just have to get over it.
Billy Berghammer

Offline rodtod

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2003, 06:33:14 PM »
Maybe if PGC got into the videogame making business, and sold a FPS game featuring Louie... $_$
will the real rodtod please stand up, please stand up, please stand u-[SMACK!]

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2003, 06:50:33 PM »

Originally posted by: PGC-Agent Cooper
Do you pay for Planet GameCube?  Don't complain.  Enough said.

We DO support PGC though with donations and purchases.  I think that at least should give us the right to gripe, even if you can't do anything about it.  I personally take offense to every thread discussing the ads to be locked.  Some of these ads are annoying as hell, and I think that we should at least be able to complain about them to eachother.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline PGC-Agent Cooper

• Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2003, 10:47:51 PM »
Well, no, if the donations and purchases supported PGC, then we wouldn't have these ads.  We're locking the threads because it's tireless banter that we don't and shouldn't have to deal with.  We're giving you excellent coverage for the cost of a couple ads.  I can't help the fact that "The Core" ad sucked and repeatedly played audio.  But that keeps us alive.

I'd rather work on the site than argue about ads.  Especially since the ads won't be changing.  Christ, you have to pay IGN to take off SOME ads.  I'm an insider and I still get more ads than I get here.
Billy Berghammer

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2003, 10:52:20 AM »
Fair enough.  But I still think it's a little unreasonable to lock every thread related to the advertising, even if we aren't bitching about it to you guys.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean