Author Topic: Interview with Monolith Soft (Baten Kaitos)  (Read 3924 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Interview with Monolith Soft (Baten Kaitos)
« on: August 04, 2006, 08:08:03 AM »
Inteview with Mr. Hirohide Sugiura, President of Monolith Soft and Producer of Baten Kaitos Origins

Originally posted by: Cubed3.com
C3: Has work begun on a Nintendo Wii version of Baten Kaitos or any ideas been formulated yet? And can fans expect Baten Kaitos to remain exclusive to Nintendo formats?

HS: At present, we do not have concrete plan to produce Baten Kaitos for Wii. However, there are several on-going titles exclusively for the Nintendo format. Please look forward to them.

C3: What are your thoughts about the WiConnect24 concept, being able to leave the Nintendo Wii on in order to download new content? How do you think this could be best incorporated into the RPG genre?

HS: I think it is an amazing concept. We will be able to make it clear how the function will be utilised in the game when the on-going titles are announced. We would rather refrain from commenting on the details at this point in time, since our competitors seem to be in the process of the development of their software.

C3: Finally, how do you see Nintendo doing against the competition in this generation?

HS: I feel Nintendo is aiming at the innovation of entertainment, while Sony and Microsoft are interested in technological innovation. Nintendo’s message of “the graphical beauty is not the decisive fun factor of games” has strongly reached out to the developers. And it is clear that more and more users are agreeing with Nintendo’s message, as the success of Nintendo DS indicates. I hope they continue to work on overcoming the innovator’s dilemma.

Originally posted by: Jesusraz
Topics that couldn't be talked about, for various undisclosed reasons:

- Namco x Capcom, doing a similar thing with Nintendo
- Disaster: Day of Crisis, as Nintendo doesn't want it discussed yet
- Xenosaga I & II being translated, making me think something is going on (I've also asked Rising Star Games to enquire about bringing it to Europe, so fingers crossed in any case).

I see Monolith and Nintendo growing closer in this generation...

"Namco x Capcom, doing a similar thing with Nintendo" what do you think this means?

edit:

As for the Namco x Capcom question - I originally asked if Monolith would be interested in doing something similar on a RPG with Nintendo characters, you know like a Namco x Nintendo RPG or something. I was told they weren't allowed to answer it, though...strange, huh?

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
RE: Interview with Monolith Soft (Baten Kaitos)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 08:09:55 AM »
I love Baten Kaitos, in fact the sequel might very well might be the last GCN game I get, so more love from Monolith is always more than welcome.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 08:20:15 AM »
Sounds like that Super Smash RPG someone was suggesting a while back could happen.  That would be interesting.

That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
RE:Interview with Monolith Soft (Baten Kaitos)
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 10:28:38 AM »
a Super Smash RPG makes me think of that MK SubZero "rpg"....
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 08:11:51 PM »
MK Myths: Sub-Zero is an awesome game, and I don't care what anyone says...

This sounds cool, though. Monolith isn't one of my favorite developers or anything, but they've made some good games, so +1 for their support.
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 09:07:02 PM »

Disaster: Day of Crisis, as Nintendo doesn't want it discussed yet
I really wanted some information on that game; hopefully what they're hiding is something awesome..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 09:22:11 PM »
I am going to have to pick up a copy of Baten Kaitos, I've heard nothing but great things about it. Hopefully I can still find it and it is relatively cheap!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 09:32:30 PM »
Maybe you haven't read the forums much cuz I've heard lots of horrible things about it.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 10:09:12 PM »
I personally loved the game. That is one of my favourite games i have.

My thoughts...

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 10:59:49 PM »
I loved the game as well, but it does seem to have some vocal haters.

Suffice to say, if card style games with RPG elements sound awful to you, then avoid it.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2006, 05:07:06 AM »
BK isn't a bad game, per se, but it's very slow and takes a little while to get going.

The card system gets better once you can use multiple cards and generate combos.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Hocotate

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2006, 07:35:27 AM »
Baten Kaitos is definately one of my favorite RPGs and GCN games. I'm really looking forward to BKII (origins). Also, a NamcoxNintendo RPG would be an instant purchase for me.
Currently Playing: Twilight Princess(Wii), Castlevania: PoR(DS), Mario vs. Donkey Kong2(DS), Wii sports(Wii)
Anticipating: Mario Galaxy(Wii), Blue Dragon(360), Dragon Quest:Swords(Wii), Dragon Quest IX (DS)

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2006, 10:59:03 AM »
HS: At present, we do not have concrete plan to produce Baten Kaitos for Wii. However, there are several on-going titles exclusively for the Nintendo format. Please look forward to them.

I'd like to apologize to the BK fans, but I'm pretty happy with this news...I would rather see them make even more new stuff than make more sequels to games that aren't doing so hot...

Also this seems to almost confirm that Monolith Soft is almost completely Ninty exclusive, which is nice...I can't wait to see how DoD turns out, and I'd love a more traditional RPG from them...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2006, 06:49:48 PM »
heh, I got BK last year, but haven't played much yet, as I have to finish ToS first....

an odd thing is that I had to buy it used, as I found it new in only one store and it's price was $65 oO (this was in the US btw)

and Bill, aren't they doing another Xenosaga?
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2006, 01:20:41 AM »

aren't they doing another Xenosaga?

Nope, unless you mean #3 which comes out in America at the end of this month.

Xenosaga was originally supposed to be six games, but #2 didn't do as well as Namco expected, so they turned #3 into the end of the series. Xenogears was #5 in the "Xeno" saga that Monolith came up with when they were working for Square, but since Square owns Xenogears they said they'd have to re-write #5 by the time they got up to it (and the series would likely have evolved differently by that point anyways).

I do wonder what's up with the Monolith/Nintendo love. The Xeno series has done a lot more for Monolith than Baten Kaitos could even hope to do. Not that I'm complaing. As long as they don't waste their time making sports games.  
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2006, 09:38:38 AM »

Originally posted by: ruby_onix

aren't they doing another Xenosaga?

Nope, unless you mean #3 which comes out in America at the end of this month.

Xenosaga was originally supposed to be six games, but #2 didn't do as well as Namco expected, so they turned #3 into the end of the series. Xenogears was #5 in the "Xeno" saga that Monolith came up with when they were working for Square, but since Square owns Xenogears they said they'd have to re-write #5 by the time they got up to it (and the series would likely have evolved differently by that point anyways).
heh, that's EXACTLY what I wanted to know ^^ (I knew there were going to be six, so that's why I asked)
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2006, 03:21:24 PM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1- Xenosaga I & II being translated, making me think something is going on (I've also asked Rising Star Games to enquire about bringing it to Europe, so fingers crossed in any case).

They're adding III to the DS cart and releasing all of them together as one game in the US. (My hope anyways)