Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3140777 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Wii rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #1250 on: March 28, 2009, 06:38:16 AM »
What if that was just a way to prevent journalists from taking one of the devices home...

Yeah, that very well could be, but knowing Nintendo this probably is how it will be. After all, Nintendo is the company that forces us to view a safety warning message EACH AND EVERY single time we start the console up and then again when we start a game. I know these messages aren't up for long, but they are damn annoying, and having to put up with them all the time pisses me off. But anyway, Nintendo seems to be very obsessed with safety (probably to avoid getting sued when people get hurt for swinging their remotes around like mad), so forcing consumers to have a protective skin on their controllers seems like something they would do.

What would suck about this for me is I already spent a good deal of money buying colored silicon skins for my controllers, aand those will be a waste if I have to get another new skin with M+ embedded in it.
is your sanity...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: March 28, 2009, 08:18:16 AM »
Well, games published by MS on the 360 have a LOOOOOOOOONG epilepsy warning screen on startup, too...

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #1252 on: March 28, 2009, 02:00:45 PM »
What if that was just a way to prevent journalists from taking one of the devices home...

Yeah, that very well could be, but knowing Nintendo this probably is how it will be. After all, Nintendo is the company that forces us to view a safety warning message EACH AND EVERY single time we start the console up and then again when we start a game. I know these messages aren't up for long, but they are damn annoying, and having to put up with them all the time pisses me off. But anyway, Nintendo seems to be very obsessed with safety (probably to avoid getting sued when people get hurt for swinging their remotes around like mad), so forcing consumers to have a protective skin on their controllers seems like something they would do.

What would suck about this for me is I already spent a good deal of money buying colored silicon skins for my controllers, aand those will be a waste if I have to get another new skin with M+ embedded in it.

In my honest opinion, now that Nintendo is famous among non gamers they can't afford to mess up and give crazy people the upper hand.

I mean, look at the nutjob who claimed that Animal Crossing shouldn't be played by adults. If the game didn't have strict security measures his claim might have been listened.

At the very least, if people claimed that they got hurt playing Wii Nintendo can say "we warned you again, again and again".
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: March 28, 2009, 04:35:21 PM »
Aren't those warning messages the result of a lawsuit to begin with? Some kid had an epileptic seizure whilst playing a Nintendo game and the kid's father tried to sue Nintendo claiming that there should be more warnings. Placing a warning message at startup was a part of the settlement, I believe...

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #1254 on: March 28, 2009, 05:00:51 PM »
Aren't those warning messages the result of a lawsuit to begin with? Some kid had an epileptic seizure whilst playing a Nintendo game and the kid's father tried to sue Nintendo claiming that there should be more warnings. Placing a warning message at startup was a part of the settlement, I believe...

I am not 100% sure, but that definitely seems to be the case.

Nintendo, like many companies, can't afford to be in court every time someone gets in an accident using their products.

While to us these measures might be extreme note that not everyone has the capacity to be safe and  careful, especially with physical activity. So that's why when playing Wii Fit the game warns you to take a break or to lean onto something if you are losing balance, because then if someone sues Nintendo under the belief that they weren't warned, Nintendo can say "Oh yes we did".
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: March 29, 2009, 08:08:13 AM »
That is well and good, but it would be nice if there were a way you could disable those warnings. I've already viewed/read them so there's no point in me being harassed by them every time I want to load up a quick game.
is your sanity...

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: March 29, 2009, 09:40:59 AM »

Yup, I noticed that Sony has been starting to doing a similar type of message at start up and PS1 games available on PSN and some PS3 games have them.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: March 29, 2009, 01:03:29 PM »
The case in question was a rather interesting mix of a mentally retarded, epileptic child who couldn't read very well and his mother who bought a GC game for him, and apparently didn't read the warnings on the back of the box and on the first page of the manual.  But this pre-game warning is specifically to deal with the possibility of somebody buying a used game without the box or booklet.  now they are basically lawsuit-proof on this issue.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: March 30, 2009, 10:58:49 AM »
The case in question was a rather interesting mix of a mentally retarded, epileptic child who couldn't read very well and his mother who bought a GC game for him, and apparently didn't read the warnings on the back of the box and on the first page of the manual.  But this pre-game warning is specifically to deal with the possibility of somebody buying a used game without the box or booklet.  now they are basically lawsuit-proof on this issue.
I thought it had to do with one of the original openings for the Pokemon anime in Japan.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: March 30, 2009, 02:16:29 PM »
I thought it had to do with one of the original openings for the Pokemon anime in Japan.
Thats what I remember too. Nintendo just preemptively placed all those warning before everything to make sure they were covered on all angles.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: March 30, 2009, 03:01:25 PM »
The warnings started to come in majorly after the Yoshi Story Trial, where nintendo lost I believe. During our Gamecube days, some kid had seizures while playing Yoshis story, i'll never forget it.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #1261 on: March 30, 2009, 03:26:53 PM »
Was it 2003 we started seeing games shipped with the A-button Epilseippseilsy warnings?

I feel like they've disappeared, now replaced by the "CAUTION-DON'T BREAK **** OR GET WHACT BY YOUR WANGMOTE" screens.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: March 30, 2009, 04:25:59 PM »
Was it 2003 we started seeing games shipped with the A-button Epilseippseilsy warnings?

I feel like they've disappeared, now replaced by the "CAUTION-DON'T BREAK **** OR GET WHACT BY YOUR WANGMOTE" screens.

That's because the 'press A' screen appears at the Wii boot-up so if you press A to turn on your remotes you barely see the screen.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #1263 on: March 30, 2009, 04:43:13 PM »
ahahahah by golly, you're right!

Such an insignificant screen!  Much like ESRB ratings on game boxes!

On this subject, I believe ESRB ratings (w/ descriptors) should be the first or second screen to show when you load up a game (along with that dry boring voice that says "RATED EMM FOR MATOOR"), since they already show up on the box (which is ignored) and that the ESRB enforces the placement of ratings inside game trailers nowadays (to my frustration as a video sharer).  That way, Mom will see/hear/realize what a mistake she made to buy the game, then promptly return it, adversely affecting sales of "matoor" games.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: March 30, 2009, 07:36:45 PM »
ahahahah by golly, you're right!

Such an insignificant screen!  Much like ESRB ratings on game boxes!

On this subject, I believe ESRB ratings (w/ descriptors) should be the first or second screen to show when you load up a game (along with that dry boring voice that says "RATED EMM FOR MATOOR"), since they already show up on the box (which is ignored) and that the ESRB enforces the placement of ratings inside game trailers nowadays (to my frustration as a video sharer).  That way, Mom will see/hear/realize what a mistake she made to buy the game, then promptly return it, adversely affecting sales of "matoor" games.

Thing is, that would require extra programming and could complicate the game's boot proceedure.  The ESRB and the various publishers are perfectly fine with the ESRB rating being on the Title Screen so long as it's readable, and that's where I figure it'll stay (when publishers decide to use it at all) just because it's easy.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 07:50:07 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #1265 on: March 30, 2009, 07:56:20 PM »
Most boot logos are still images or movie clips.  It's not complicated to just lengthen a clip at the beginning or add another bitmap, which is unique and manually inserted for each game in the first place.  In fact, it's probably easier than getting a 480p release of MadWorld in PAL territories.

Where are these ratings on the Title Screen you speak of?  I don't seem to recall ANY these past few months, which brings me back to my original point of these labels being glossed over.

edit:  YOU CHEEKY BUGGER, you editedededed.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 07:58:35 PM by NinGurl69 *huggles »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: March 30, 2009, 11:49:15 PM »
Most boot logos are still images or movie clips.  It's not complicated to just lengthen a clip at the beginning or add another bitmap, which is unique and manually inserted for each game in the first place.  In fact, it's probably easier than getting a 480p release of MadWorld in PAL territories.

Where are these ratings on the Title Screen you speak of?  I don't seem to recall ANY these past few months, which brings me back to my original point of these labels being glossed over.

edit:  YOU CHEEKY BUGGER, you editedededed.

Eh, I work QA for a company that puts the ESRB logo on the title screen, so I had assumed that was a new industry standard or something.  I re-edited because I went through some of my Wii collection and noticed the ESRB logo wasn't on the title screen at all.

But yeah, believe it or not there are standards in place for the various platforms that dictate how long a boot sequence can go, disregarding legal screens.  It's questionable if the ESRB logo could be considered a legal screen or not, however, since the ESRB has no legal authority.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #1267 on: March 31, 2009, 12:04:01 AM »
Are you inserting the logos on in-game title screens, or the Wii Disc Channel gateway screens?  I now recall seeing labels on those.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: March 31, 2009, 12:15:08 AM »
Are you inserting the logos on in-game title screens, or the Wii Disc Channel gateway screens?  I now recall seeing labels on those.

In-Game title, but I don't know about Wii.  My work doesn't include that platform.  Ironic, isn't it?

Incidentally, I should warn you that I can't really elaborate much further, just in case I'd violate some hidden clause of the NDA I signed when I was hired.  Nothing too secretive, but I rather like my job and would like to keep it.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: March 31, 2009, 02:18:35 AM »
Can you say what company you work for?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: March 31, 2009, 02:21:23 AM »

Not sure if I can say, but I'm sure my profile might give you a clue.  ^_-  Let's just say this company put out some surprisingly good games last year I'm dying to play on a PS3 when I finally get one.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 02:25:08 AM by broodwars »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: March 31, 2009, 02:26:06 AM »

Not sure if I can say, but I'm sure my profile might give you a clue.  ^_-  Let's just say this company put out some surprisingly good games last year I'm dying to play on a PS3 when I finally get one.

I need you to deliver a message for me. A message regarding DS:E...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: March 31, 2009, 02:26:59 AM »
Can you hook up NWR with an exclusive interview?
How about with the Dead Space Extraction team
or something involving EA Sports/Active games that are coming up within the next 60 days?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: March 31, 2009, 02:28:41 AM »

I need you to deliver a message for me. A message regarding DS:E...

*laughs*  Well that didn't take long.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: March 31, 2009, 02:29:06 AM »
to be honest, I saw before you edited :D