Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3156826 times)

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:The OFFICIAL Wii rumor thread *bring your own salt*(updated 7/14/2006)
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2006, 07:02:19 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion It was SE's idea in the first place...

It was?!?

Then that bodes even better for not only SE and Nintendo's future together but for the appearance of a FF character in SSBB.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
I just hope nothing FF related ever touches Smash Bros.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2006, 07:57:04 PM »

Originally posted by: mantidor
I just hope nothing FF related ever touches Smash Bros.

To be honest, I'm pretty neutral on FF characters in SSBB. If we saw one, it would have to have appeared on a Nintendo console previously so that rules out all of the "angst-filled teen" characters which have haunted FF7+.

That leaves the original FF games (including US FF3), Tactics, CC, and now FF3 (which will be out on the DS by the time SSBB is released.

Cloud will not be in SSBB (unless they release FF7 on the DS between now and when SSBB completes development, which ain't very likely) even though he's the most popular FF character to date.

If we did get one, I'd bet it would be a Moogle: they're the enduring symbol of FF and were born on Nintendo consoles. As long as it's not an angst-filled teen Moogle, I'd be fine with it.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Hey I understand wanting to keep traditional Zelda games pure.  I get that.  But Hyrule and the world of Zelda is rich with history and lore...and I could see a traditional RPG made as an offshoot.  People would have never thought a Mario RPG would work...and Square Nintendo made it work...and it was beautiful.  Now we have a new franchise.

Why does everybody close their minds to new ideas about games and characters...if it doesn't take away from the original style games being created, then I say go for it.  

And as I said before, I think it would be an amazing trade.  You know how much money and how huge of a new franchise could be created with Square creating a traditional Zelda Japanese RPG.  Or hell, they could even make a Kingdom Hearts with Nintendo franchises instead of Disney.

If I deal like this would get us Dragon Quest exclusive, then I say it is worth the investment.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
The thing with Zelda is your to close to the source with an RPG.  The closest thing Mario had to an RPG to date when Super Mario RPG happened was Mario 2.  Zelda on the other hand sort of falls in that category by lack of category.  Also, I'm going to post this in the SSBB thread as well, Miasm(sp?) level would rock.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2006, 07:53:24 AM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
The closest thing Mario had to an RPG to date when Super Mario RPG happened was Mario 2.
Shouldn't that be Super Mario World since they were both on the SNES or did you mean something else by Mario 2 other than SMB2?

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
SMB 2 had multiple unique characters to play.  A "party" if you will and characters that were never reused again in the series really.  (Like the mouse one who threw bombs)  It just feels the least like a "Traditional" Mario game then the other "Traditional" Mario games.  Especially at the time.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2006, 08:53:31 AM »

& no one has anything to say about a Secret of Mana MMO?

I love SoM on the Snes, and would just about pre-order the MMO now if this were true.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 16, 2006, 04:10:44 PM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
SMB 2 had multiple unique characters to play.  A "party" if you will and characters that were never reused again in the series really.  (Like the mouse one who threw bombs)  It just feels the least like a "Traditional" Mario game then the other "Traditional" Mario games.  Especially at the time.
Doki Doki Panic.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
It's kind of funny that if Nintendo hadn't converted Doki Doki Panic we wouldn't have Shyguys, as they were Doki characters, not Mario characters. So thank goodness for bizarre import choices!

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
Doki Doki Panic Wikipedia Entry

The popular gender confusion for Birdo (in US she was described as a male who thinks he is a girl in the manual), due to the perception that beating up a female was abhorent, but not a transexual.

lol

Finally the answer.  Birdo is a girl at least in Doki Doki Panic (I had to look up that bit of trivia.)

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 16, 2006, 06:58:43 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
I remember hearing that that is why NOA was hesitant to release EB3 here in the states for GBA, they want to kill off the GBA and push sales of the DS Lite instead.

Earthbound 3 doesn't exist...

sarcasm right?
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
No, Earthbound 3 does NOT exist!

If Mother 3 is localized it will be Earthbound 2!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 16, 2006, 07:58:57 PM »
fair enough.

i was under the impression you didnt know mother 3 ever saw the light of day... unless you didnt and were smart enough to save your ass ;-)
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 16, 2006, 08:31:08 PM »
Mother = Earthbound 0.

Deal.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2006, 05:29:21 AM »

Originally posted by: EasyCure
i was under the impression you didnt know mother 3 ever saw the light of day... unless you didnt and were smart enough to save your ass ;-)

That's almost insulting!  I'm the biggest Mother fan here!

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
You're the biggest everything fan here!
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
Nah, only Zelda, Golden Sun, and Mother...

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
Unfortunately, you couldn't earn the title for Jungle Beat..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Again, I can see arguement saying that Zelda is already an RPGish type game, so why rework it into just a different type of RPG.  And I would agree if you were doing a story about Link solo then to make an traditional turn based RPG instead of an action adventure RPG would be silly.

But, I think there is potentially a really great story inbetween Ocarnia of Time and Wind Waker, that doesn't involve Link.

Remember, there was a great war and no hero of time showed up.  Well what happened?  which heros tried to rise to the task to defend Hyrule?  This is an important story that could connect the stories and be really cool.

Personally, I would handle the story that the Sages from OoT came back to fight for Hyrule's future.  This would give you a great diverse party system, that all have connections to Link, and reasons to try to save the world.  It would be a game that could greatly expand the lore and mythos of Hyrule and Link.  Square would be perfect for a game like this...and I think we would be pretty stupid not to be excited about something like that.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
That would be cool. As long as it involves no cards what-so-ever.  Square did something like this for Kingdom of Hearts and it turned out relatively unplayable for anyone who actually liked Kingdom of Hearts because of the stupid cards.  (Then again KH2 is not near as good as KH)

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 17, 2006, 11:34:03 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion

Originally posted by: EasyCure

That's almost insulting!  I'm the biggest Mother fan here!

then i apologize. im a huge EB fan as well, but i could car less about the name really. eb3, mother 3; its just the name. i just cant wait to play the third one already. that and finish the first one

and spak-spang  has, yet again, another brilliant idea.

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
I say Boo! to Spak and his idea...

I say Boo! to EasyCure for agreeing with him...

And lastly, I say Boo! to Bill for no reason at all...

Seriously, Spak -- do you really want to play with Sages? I admit that the story in between has a damn cool feel to it, but sages? Plus there's like 7 of them, which one would be the main character? Plus, I think TP is the story in between OOT and WW anyways.
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #98 on: July 17, 2006, 03:55:57 PM »
Req:

That was just my initial idea...we could design other characters to play as for the story.  I personally thought the Sages would be interesting.

1)You get to play as several different species from the Zelda realm.  This would allow you to design unique fighting styles, magics, and history for each species.

2)Each Sage has a connection to Link, and is a character Zelda fans are fimilar with.  So there is already emotional connection to the characters.

3)The Sages are an active interest in protecting the realm of Hyrule as it is now their reason of existance.  

4)The humor between the relationships of several of the Sages would make for some interesting dialogue and character relationships.  Sarai "What do you mean Link is betrothed to you."

5)Spring boarding off of OoT would help explain why a new hero of time never emerged.  The Hero jumped in and out of time screwing up the legacy of the hero of courage emerging.  (Just an intial thought and explaination.)

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 17, 2006, 06:23:48 PM »
i thought the same question about who the main character would be, Req, but i thought to myself "who is the most important of all of them?" and theres only one answer: Zelda

zelda is the leader of the sages because of her royal bloodline (and since she's in every frickin game with link...well almost) so it just makes sense she takes position as leader.

zelda is your all-around hero and can diguise herself as sheik for certain parts of the game. say for instance a land close to hyrule, but has no allegance(sp) with the king, and might be hostile to the royal family.

saria could be your healer

darunia is the power house character

nabooru is the theif character

so on and so forth.

... ok so maybe i run out of ideas really.... but who says impa, ruto and rauru have to be playable characters???