Author Topic: 1UP on last secret "perhaps the most intriguing element of the system"  (Read 15109 times)

Offline AnyoneEB

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: 1UP on last secret "perhaps the most intriguing element of the system"
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2006, 05:27:51 PM »
I think we are all talking about the name because it is the latest news and, as has been pointed out a few times in the past weeks, we do not have much info to talk about. Once more info is revealed at E3, it will be much bigger than the name.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE:1UP on last secret "perhaps the most intriguing element of the system"
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2006, 05:58:35 PM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
"Bill":  You are not Bill you imposter.  Turn over your cute avatar now.  You just don't seem like yourself today.

I may seem tame, but I actually have quite a bit of a mean streak...Particularly when half the board goes cynical on me...(Doesn't help that I'm in the middle of exam week, stressed out enough as it is...) =\  

What REALLY bothers me is the topic title...That is, that people would rather whine about the name than discuss the possibilities of this "intriguing element"...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Blue Plant

• View Profile
    • My site.
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2006, 06:01:53 PM »
I love the name, it's so exotic...  And I think it was smart for the name to be released now, those who "hate" it will forgive and forget after all the info is released.

And, oh yes, I'm really interested in this last secret. ^_^  Curse E3 for being so close, yet so far away...  

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2006, 06:12:40 PM »
How on earth did this turn into a discussion about the name? Take it to the other thread.

If this new secret is more intriguing than the remote and "Wii", then nobody here has a CHANCE of guessing it.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2006, 06:24:38 PM »
Wii can bake a pototo in under a minute.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2006, 06:44:34 PM »
I'm quite sure it will have something to do with the name.
Some way of bringing "wii" gamers together. Like a whole new take on online play that will make it easier to connect and play with local gamers perhaps with a Pictochat like program, focused on real communication and building real relationships as opposed to just playing with some random stranger on the other side of the country.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2006, 06:48:54 PM »
The original topic...

Sounds exciting. I really hope it is good. I can't imagine what it is though...

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2006, 06:50:00 PM »
We shall see... (no pun intended) I think thing's are about to get REALLY intresting. OMG I KNOW SOMETHING lol!
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2006, 07:47:23 PM »
I really wish Nintendo would stop teasing me with their secret hardware functionalities for the Wii-mote.

Offline zakkiel

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2006, 07:57:17 PM »

So having people like you call us morons because you don't agree with our opinion is very childish.
He usually is when people are insufficiently adulatory towards Nintendo.

I've turned this name over in my head, asked myself if it can grow on me. And I've decided that if it does, I will lose all respect for myself. Because it could maan Nintendo really could do anything, and I would convince myself it's right. I would basically have to abandon any pretense that my opinions about Nintendo had any validity, because I would always convince myself that Nintendo knows best.

And there are no "intriguing possibilities" in a name. As has been said, it's a name. There are no depths or aspects to be revealed. A year from now, it will still suck just as much.  
Defenestration - the only humane method of execution.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2006, 08:04:16 PM »
LOL zakkiel, I just got out of a Psychology final and you just reminded me of Milgram's experiment on obedience.

... Of course, all this negativity over tha name reminds me of Asche's experiment on conformity.

... I better have aced that test.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2006, 08:25:52 PM »

Originally posted by: Zach

Originally posted by: BigJim
I'm done making fun of the name now.

But the last detail was whispered around the GDC and someone mentioned it to me. And it's interesting. I'm anxious to see what they do with it.

Does it have anything to do with the new name, right now I think the name is crummy, but if Wii somehow means something, I think I could reserve judgement untill E3.

If it does, I didn't get that connection. So I would say no.  
"wow."

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2006, 08:48:48 PM »

Originally posted by: zakkiel

I've turned this name over in my head, asked myself if it can grow on me. And I've decided that if it does, I will lose all respect for myself. Because it could maan Nintendo really could do anything, and I would convince myself it's right. I would basically have to abandon any pretense that my opinions about Nintendo had any validity, because I would always convince myself that Nintendo knows best.

Come on now. You've never disagreed with any Nintendo decisions so far?

Be that as it may, I like this name but no amount of Nintendo PR can make me accept Metroid Prime Hunters or this vapid online direction they seem to be going in.

Let the marketing execs at Nintendo decide on the most effective name for their console... but when marketing seeps into and effectively lobotomizes the games they make is when I get angry.

Anyway... the editorial/blog seems to have been edited since the quote, because they no longer directly claim to know the secret.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2006, 08:53:43 PM »

Originally posted by: Mario If this new secret is more intriguing than the remote and "Wii", then nobody here has a CHANCE of guessing it.

I'm thinking "Wii", in the context the site used it, indicates that Nintendo is not only doing something with online play, but they intend to do something with it that no one has ever done before. Then again, that could be hype and we're used to seeing things like that be overblown by Nintendo.

Either that, or like the editors suggested in their discussion, Wii stands for "Wireless Interactive Innovation" or something along those lines, indicative of the Revmote.

Originally posted by: PaLaDiN Be that as it may, I like this name but no amount of Nintendo PR can make me accept Metroid Prime Hunters or this vapid online direction they seem to be going in.

Not to be the harbinger of sorrow or anything, but all this talk about "we will change it together" seems to indicate that Nintendo has some rather extensive online plans.

At least, that'd be my first guess.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2006, 09:24:12 PM »
I just had an inspiration.  Im not sure if anyone has thought about this before, so Im gonna say it.  We all know the Wii (I still dont like the sound of that) has usb ports, what if you could load software on the system so that you could hook up your keyboard to the system to chat on the internet during the game, or I could hook up my webcam so you could all see my pretty face (and block other's webcams incase people decide to be... inappropriate).  A headphone with a mike could also be hooked up.

Something like this probably wouldnt be the big secret, but it would be pretty smart, People wouldnt have to buy all of the accessories that they already have for their computers.
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2006, 09:39:47 PM »
No. No webcam, no keyboard, no separate mic. I don't want this thing turning into a WiiCii.  
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2006, 10:50:18 PM »
Wow, this is the most edgy I've seen Hostile since the "you should be shot" comment..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2006, 10:52:19 PM »

Does it have anything to do with the new name, right now I think the name is crummy, but if Wii somehow means something, I think I could reserve judgement untill E3.
Considering Jim didn't know about the name and was as surprised about it as us, I don't think so..

EDIT: Jim already replied..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2006, 10:53:24 PM »
What can I say?  I like violently opposing the popular opinion.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2006, 03:45:07 AM »

Originally posted by: KnowsNothing
Wii can bake a pototo in under a minute.

Don't forget about the waffles too.

I be set.  Never hungry again.  With the built in NHS I wouldn't even have to leave to change the air condtioning or turn off the lights.

I definetly by two.  One to play with and another to cook with.

Edit Also what if Wii is really a hint at the true purpose of the Wii.  There can only be 1 Wii per person why you might ask.  Well it's really a symbiote like Venom.  Once you get your Wii it will integrate itself into you and you shall then truly be a We.  The digitial components of it will allow you to access the internet wirelessly with your mind.  Interface and exchange information with other people vy your USB ports.  Maybe after honing yourself well enough with another Wii user combining to be one Wii unit helping control the population.  

So what do I sacrifice for this greatness?  Some indepence that's all.  The Wii side of you would be controllable therefore making you controllable to.  Then the Revolution will occur.  Nintendo will rised to the domninance of nations and no one will now it.  We will unwitting puppets at there greatness.  Never the wiser.  For We are Wii and We came to play.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2006, 05:42:08 AM »

Originally posted by: Fro
http://1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=3&cId=3149198

Miyamoto and Iwata have hinted at a final secret for Wii that has yet to be revealed. And while we're sworn to secrecy, 1UP knows what this secret is -- and it's rather revolutionary. In fact, it's perhaps the most intriguing element of the system -- something with some rather cool implications for gaming. Let's just say that people have more to look forward to at E3.

I think 1up did some backpedaling because the quote you referenced actually reads like this now:

Miyamoto and Iwata have hinted at a final secret for Wii that has yet to be revealed. And while we don't have all the details, we've heard that what's in store is exciting indeed -- secrets of a rather revolutionary nature, with some rather cool implications for gaming. Needless to say, we're looking forward to E3

Offline pudu

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2006, 05:50:18 AM »
I know the "big" secret isn't this but I do hope they have one:  a wireless headset.  I don't know why some people think a mic in the revmote would work...the wind in the mic would mess everything up if you are moving the revmote around and your distance to the mic wouldn't be close enough and would be constently changing.  This is why they need to come out with a cool little wireless headset for their wifi games.

Also, if Nintendo reveals something even close to as big as the original controller revealing then...I will be stunned.  Nintendo knows how to own E3 though and this year they already have it in the bag imo...call it a gut feeling  

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2006, 05:54:16 AM »

Originally posted by: Hostile Creation
What can I say?  I like violently opposing the popular opinion.

So you just blindly go against what the majority says without even questioning your own motives?

I'd suggest contemplating the consequences and weighing the evidence before I tried to form an opinion, not just adopt a counter opinion and run with it.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2006, 07:57:01 AM »
The thing with this big secret is that no matter how hard we try, we wont come up with anything close to the truth, the same happen with the controller, and the speculation was huge, yet barely anyone got it right.

And we are two weeks away from finding out, so I see any speculation about the secret as a waste of time.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2006, 08:00:14 AM »
*strains to avoid talking about the frigging name*

I'm very interested in the final secret.  I have trouble imagining something that could be as exciting as the controller itself.  And if it's better than the nunchuck having some motion detection...well, that wasn't  HUGE, but it was already a cool addition, in my opinion.

Maybe some ultra-realistic force-feedback?  It would be cool, but I doubt it can be done in a wireless controller without sacrificing a ton of battery life.  Ultimately, whatever it is will probably take me totally by surprise.  I'm getting really excited now!
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX