Author Topic: #1 in Japan?=#1 in the u.s.  (Read 6662 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
#1 in Japan?=#1 in the u.s.
« on: September 19, 2005, 06:08:19 PM »
its o f my opinion  that japanese devlopers are  going to jump on  this system. Hideo Kojima said he was very pleasantly suprised  by it...and there were a few other  devlopers who said things, i bet alot of them are  knocking on...then october-ton when  nintendo  talks about the networking....maybe  they'll show some games?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: #1 in Japan?=#1 in the u.s.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 06:14:36 PM »
I doubt gameplay for quite a while, particularly if the remaining "revolutions" have anything to do with the display of the games...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 09:07:35 PM »
You're forgetting the big variable, publishers. The developers can rant all they want, if the publisher says "No, you make games for the XBox" then you make games for the XBox.

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 09:20:21 PM »
I still don't think that MS is going to get the love from Japan next time either. At least not on the level that they seem to think that they are.

I agree that those quirky Japanese design teams will probably fall in love with the Rev. But what that will translate into stateside, and globally, I don't know. One can only hope for the best I suppose.  

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
RE:#1 in Japan?=#1 in the u.s.
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 11:15:01 PM »
It seems that there are a few publishers already on the band wagon Ubisoft, EA, Activision and THQ love the design, but they also are the few US publishers who supported the Gamecube.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 11:35:19 PM »
"You're forgetting the big variable, publishers. The developers can rant all they want, if the publisher says "No, you make games for the XBox" then you make games for the XBox. "

Well, the big variable - the only important variable really, is what consumers think of the system. That's all publishers care about.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 01:14:02 AM »
it really is a circle that feeds on itself though

if the publishers don't support it, the consumers don't buy it
and if the consumers don't buy it, the publishers don't support it

and by support I don't mean quick sloppy port from another system, I mean something that truly uses the systems strong points and doesn't equate to a gimmicky quick buck.  

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 01:58:37 AM »
Well, you can break that circle in a couple of ways. You could (and prolly should), for example:

-design a system that has appeal even in absence of a  'killer-app'. The DS had this advantage, through an interesting input device, and the REV probably will to.

-create a killer-app for launch. N64 tried this with M64, though other flaws brought the system down, and MS managed this with Halo.

-persuade as many 3rd parties as possible to develop games for the system in spite of the fact the system's popularity is unknown. The REV's developer-friendly hardware, innovate features, standard-sized discs and PR speak about broad appeal will help with this. But what REALLY helps is, you know, spreading the moolah around.  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2005, 02:24:40 AM »

Originally posted by: wandering
-create a killer-app for launch. N64 tried this with M64, though other flaws brought the system down, and MS managed this with Halo.

N64 also had Goldeneye, anyone who didn't like goldeneye was considered a freak at my school....people actually ridiculed others for not liking it!

Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2005, 02:39:47 AM »
Whoa, really?

I seem to remember that the N64 was the most popular system at my school.
Though that was probably part of the problem - it was popular with young school kids, but not 18+ year olds.

Anyway, the N64 DID have a lot killer apps, along with huge initial sales and the Nintendo name....it still baffles me that Sony was able to beat Nintendo just because their system was more developer friendly. Oh well.    

Offline Artimus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2005, 06:16:45 AM »
The N64 sold 36 million units, hardly a failure.

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2005, 06:52:57 AM »
Back on topic...

What would happen if Nintendo gets all the Japanesse Developers/Publishers, the X360 gets all the American Developers/Publishers and the PS3 gets some of both?

This gen I think that the GameCube got some of both and so did the PS2. The X-Box got the most American Developers/Publishers and little Japanesse support, and we know what happened.

My question is, could Nintendo survive in America with only (mostly) Japanesse Developers/Publishers?
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2005, 06:57:51 AM »
But Ninty already has a bunch of western publishers onboard, making your question moot...

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2005, 07:01:36 AM »

Originally posted by: Toruresu
My question is, could Nintendo survive in America with only (mostly) Japanesse Developers/Publishers?

I think the US market is going to be even more crucial this generation, as you are already seeing Japanese publishers attempting to make games that will appeal to this market.

Generally speaking about the US developers, I could really care less. Out of the 50 Gamecube games I have, only 10 of them were made outside of Japan (12 if you count the two Metroids).
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2005, 07:42:20 AM »
I definitly see the REV getting exponetially better Japanese support than the Cube.
KDR makes a good point about publishers having the final say. Even though a lot of developers did like the Cube it was difficult for them to convince their publishers to support it. There were a few exceptions likw Mikami who convinced Capcom to let him release the RE games on the Gamecube but I'm sure that some major convincing and power play on his part. Think about it, by the time Gamecube was released the PS2 was already a massive success having sold millions of units. With Sony not getting such a major headstard this generation, it will be a hell of a lot easier for REV loving devlopers to get their publishers on board. If a developer at Square, Sega, Namco, Capcom or any other major developers suggests creating an exclusive game for a Nintendo console it will no longer seem like such a risky prospect and the fact that many of these games will rely on the console's unique and hopefully well patented controller just makes the argument that much easier.
As for American developers. I still think the REV will get the least support from them but that won't really hurt it that much. If Nintendo can get great Japanese support it can more than make up for the lack of American titles with its own first/second party games. I do think some traditionally American genres like FPSs and racing sims will be surprisingly abundant on the Rev with its well suited controller though.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2005, 07:43:02 AM »
"it still baffles me that Sony was able to beat Nintendo just because their system was more developer friendly."

Because people prefer 50 good games a year over 3 great games a year.  Quantity wins every time.  The winner of each generation always is the one with the most games.

I think the Rev is going to go over much better in Japan than it will in North America.  The Rev has a lot of potential arcade functionality.  Most arcade games these days involve physical movement which is a big part of the Rev's design.  Arcades are still huge in Japan but are almost dead in North America.  So I figure the Japanese would be more interested in conducting orchestras, swinging swords, and hitting homeruns than Americans.

Whenever Nintendo talks about people losing interest in gaming they're talking about Japan.  In North America gaming is becoming bigger.  They designed this thing rather obviously with Japan in mind.  I could actually see the Rev being huge in Japan but totally bombing in North America.  I think it's so different from previous consoles that we might see a noticable cultural difference in how it's received.

All this non-gamer talk and "simple games" junk and pretty much the whole Revolution has been Iwata making decisions based on the Japanese market for the world market.  If someone wanted to specifically target North America they would NEVER come up with the Rev.  It goes against like every American game market trend there is.

I'd say though that the Rev will probably do better in North America than the Xbox 360 in Japan.  American gamers have always been much more appreciative of Japanese games than the other way around.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2005, 07:55:20 AM »
I agree with Ian on most points.  I think the Rev has a chance to take first in Japan.  I really do.  I don't think it has a chance to take first in NA though.  I'm still hoping that from a business standpoint, the differentiation will work in Nintendo's favor in NA.  There is a good chance that it will be so different, it will allow Sony to cut off Microsoft's head or vice versa and still survive.  
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2005, 08:27:49 AM »
So we all agree that the Revolution does have a good chance of taking Japan by storm, and doing 'ok' in NA, how about Europe?

Could we see X360 dominate NA, Revolution dominate Japan and the PS3 dominate Europe? How will this affect Publishers when making desicions? (Yes, this is all speculative, but hey, its fun to ask questions and have everyone answering them

North Aamerica - X360>=PS3>Revolution
Japan - Revolution>=PS3>X360
Europe - ?

*>= More or equal
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2005, 10:35:16 AM »
I think Americans are completely into the kind of interactive gaming the REV will offer.
The only reasons arcades aren't as big in the US as they are in Japan is because most American gamers are too lazy to get their butts off the couch. But by bringing arcade style gameplay to the couch the problem is solved. What the REV is offering is basically a moderately sized step into virtual reality gaming and I think most American gamers would consider that "cool".
Even in the worse case scenereo the REV is bound to win over the portion of US gamers who do go to arcades and do like alternative games in addition to the hardcore Nintendo fans who will buy it no matter what. That alone should more than guarantee its success in the States.  

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2005, 10:46:48 AM »
"in addition to the hardcore Nintendo fans who will buy it no matter what."

I don't like that assumption and I fear that's the assumption Nintendo has.  "Our fans are loyal we can target non-gamers and they'll stick around no matter what."  I don't buy anything "no matter what" and none of you should either.  Buy the Rev if you like what they're offering.  If you don't like it don't buy it.  Never give Nintendo the idea that just because you're a Nintendo fan that you just blindly accept anything.  That's the sort of attitude that lets them release a port as the sole first party DS launch game and get away with it.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2005, 10:51:57 AM »
Did you even watch Iwata's speech, Ian?  He confirmed that Ninty will not stop making "epic" games...

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2005, 02:02:01 PM »
I remember when the Gamecube came out and everyone insisted that Nintendo was going to put more effort into the GBA than the Cube.  I see this as the same argument, only even less convincing than before.  Just because Nintendo sees other lucrative pursuits (Gameboy, Non-gamers) doesn't mean it will stop making games for its fans.  And while I'll be the first to say that a lot of the first party games this generation have been a little disappointing, I don't think it has anything to do with Nintendo focusing more on GBA...that system got mostly ports from Nintendo, while the Cube got tons of all-new games, most of which took several times more resources to create than a new GBA title would.

Nintendo isn't going to stop supporting its original fans, just like it's not going to stop releasing a million games with Mario in them.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2005, 02:13:04 PM »
"Buy the Rev if you like what they're offering. If you don't like it don't buy it. Never give Nintendo the idea that just because you're a Nintendo fan that you just blindly accept anything."

This would be a lot more valid if they said they wouldn't make Mario, Zelda and Metroid any more. I'll accept anything (within reasonable limits), but not blindly. What I'm giving Nintendo is the idea that because I'm a Nintendo fan I'll buy whatever has Nintendo games on it. No matter what, fans of those series will have certain expectations about what kind of experience they should give us, and Nintendo not satisfying those expectations would be shooting themselves in the foot.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2005, 02:18:56 PM »
People who bought Geist should get a Rev for free.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2005, 02:29:42 PM »
I'm down with that

kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa