Author Topic: 200,000 Pre-Orders!?!?!? - Jump Superstars  (Read 22960 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
200,000 Pre-Orders!?!?!? - Jump Superstars
« on: July 13, 2005, 09:20:37 AM »
Gamefront.de
your gonna have to scroll down a little ways

200.000 Vorbestellungen für Jump SuperStars

13.07.05 - Nintendo gibt bekannt, dass man für das Prügelspiel Jump Superstars  bereits 200.000 Vorbestellungen in Japan erhalten hat. Release: 08.08.05
translated:

according to Gamefront Nintendo has announced it already has 200,000 pre-orders for Jump Super Stars!

the game is released 8th august 05.

I this game will cement the DS as the 'Next GameBoy' for the foreseeable future and easily become the #1 selling DS game in japan in its opening week alone(it will debut at 400,000+ taking the monthly chart by storm shaming all NON-game software and kicking the PSP and its movies square in the nuts)

EDIT Not to mention that this releases te same day as the new RED DS which ='s PSP pwnage to the 5th power

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: 200,000 Pre-Orders!?!?!? - Jump Superstars
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 09:28:23 AM »
...........Wow...I really hope this game is good and it's localized...It's just so bizarre-looking that I MUST have it!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 09:31:52 AM »
The game does look awesome, and it does have a small chance of seeing localization, so let us pray!
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 09:33:25 AM »
Ha.

I wonder what the preorders for this new Mario Kart will be???  

Or

The preorders for the new Mario Brothers game.

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 09:55:19 AM »
Jump SuperStars could be trash and stinkweed and still sell well over 200,000 copies. This will be the first import game I buy since well a long time in the past. Naruto-Kun Vs. Son-Gouku, If that doesn't sell systems nothing will.

Isn't this being developed by Nintendo and Bandi or am I confuseey?
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 10:16:00 AM »
"I this game will cement the DS as the 'Next GameBoy' for the foreseeable future"

In Japan.  Nintendo needs to get this kind of sales for a game in North America.  "I hope this gets localized" and "when is this being released in America" shouldn't be the most common reactions to every DS game by North American DS owners.

It's been a glorified movie player for the last few months but the PSP still hasn't been completely owned over here yet.  So I wouldn't be declaring victory for the DS just because it's doing better in Japan.  According to Gamerankings the PSP still has more games released for it in North America than the DS despite literally no new PSP games being released in two months and the DS being in stores for much longer.  There's still a lot of work to be done.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 10:18:18 AM »
"I hope this gets localized" and "when is this being released in America" shouldn't be the most common reactions to every DS game by North American DS owners.

You fail to realize that more than half the characters in this game are unknown to most people outside Japan, THAT is the thing...

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 10:34:04 AM »
I don't mean this game in particular, I mean like every game.  Every neato DS game seems to stay in Japan or take longer than you would think to get localized.  It's like to own a DS importing is a requirement.  That has to be improved.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:200,000 Pre-Orders!?!?!? - Jump Superstars
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005, 11:14:35 AM »
All in good time, Ian, all in good time...besides, what's the PSP doing to rush it?

We all knew that this game would be killer in Japan because of all the recognizable characters and the hype surrounding it. It is the one to carry the DS until the holiday season when all of those other must have titles come out.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2005, 11:17:56 AM »
"According to Gamerankings the PSP still has more games released for it in North America than the DS despite literally no new PSP games being released in two months and the DS being in stores for much longer."

According to what is actually the truth, they are tied at 29 until Nanostray gets released this month for the DS.  
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2005, 11:20:10 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"I this game will cement the DS as the 'Next GameBoy' for the foreseeable future"

In Japan.  Nintendo needs to get this kind of sales for a game in North America.  "I hope this gets localized" and "when is this being released in America" shouldn't be the most common reactions to every DS game by North American DS owners.

It's been a glorified movie player for the last few months but the PSP still hasn't been completely owned over here yet.  So I wouldn't be declaring victory for the DS just because it's doing better in Japan.  According to Gamerankings the PSP still has more games released for it in North America than the DS despite literally no new PSP games being released in two months and the DS being in stores for much longer.  There's still a lot of work to be done.
Actually I was only reffering to the Japanese market, as most people(myself included) know absolutely nothing about most of the characters in that game.  Only a handfull of the cartoons that those characters are based in are (just now) being played in the U.S.. I don't expect this game to have a noticeable impact on the U.S. DS sales at all, but a very deep impact on the JPN DS sales, especially with a new color being released.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2005, 11:23:52 AM »
"According what what is actually the truth, they are tied until Nanostray gets release this month for the DS."

Well the difference in my research was like only two more games for the PSP.  I don't know which ones are missing.  Nonetheless it's still pretty dumb for them to be so close when the DS came out well before the PSP and the PSP has had very few games released since launch.  There should NEVER have been a situation where the PSP had more games.  That was completely unaccepatable.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2005, 12:04:28 PM »
"Nonetheless it's still pretty dumb for them to be so close when the DS came out well before the PSP and the PSP has had very few games released since launch."

It is much more time-consuming to create original content for a handheld than to drag a few sports title ports from a console.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2005, 12:07:30 PM »
Ian, you're the most obnoxious complainer ever. You've passed constructive criticism and gone one to annoying SOB.

Get stuffed!

And btw, the DS leads with 31 released games to the PSP's 29.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2005, 12:10:56 PM »
Artimus... you are counting Pictochat and the Metroid Demo aren't you?  

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2005, 12:53:01 PM »
LOL; let's count the movies for the PSPs as well just so Sony can be happy.

Ian, yes the "drought" was not the best thing that could happen, but with titles like Yoshi, WWT, Kirby etc scattered across, it was bearable. But now, look to the FUTURE and how incredibly bright it is for the DS.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2005, 01:43:16 PM »
Yeah, but get some sunglasses first.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2005, 02:08:22 PM »
are you sure you don't work at IGN Ian?  you spin to find any negative you can in any sort of positive announcement.
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2005, 03:39:41 PM »
LOL

If this game wouldve had Saint Seiya characters, Id buy it in heart beat, but its only the more recent Shonen Jump stuff, which Im not very fond of, and I despise Dragon Ball. Whats really funny is the sony fanboys going nuts about this game being in the DS since most of them are anime freaks too, its just lovely to see that sad show they put... "the game looks bad" "I dont want it" "rehash of  Smash Bros!" etc.etc. etc. hahaha, sad people indeed, they are willing to avoid getting their dream game just because its not on a sony console.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2005, 04:18:16 PM »
I thought this thread was about Jump Superstars, not the current condition of the DS's US game situation.  Ian, you've already complained about this in every other thread on this board, it's about time you stopped.

A few guys at a Nintendo board pining over a couple of possible Japan-only titles hardly equates to "every DS game by North American DS owners."  Besides, if Nintendo were to realease it here, it would hardly sell because most of the characters are unknown in the west.  But surely you would not complain about that!  You most certainly would not still complain that Nintendo isn't thinking about YOU when they make their games.  You would be quite content if Jump Superstars were brought to US shores, wouldn't you?  You don't even have a DS, so quit spreading your garbage over here.

This game looks fun
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2005, 05:32:16 PM »
I'm hoping they release this game here even though some characters aren't known here in north-america by the general public. Since they are finally releasing Naruto and One Piece games here I suppose this game is also in plan to be released. One more thing, if I find out that they put in the game Hiruma from "Eyeshield 21" I will seriously consider buying my first import.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2005, 05:59:55 PM »
He's in...

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2005, 07:41:50 PM »
YA-HA! I can't believe it, hehehe. Kick ass! Thank you Bill. Now if I knew Japanese it would make it much more enjoyable.

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2005, 09:28:26 PM »
I think this game could do well in North America if they market it mainly as a DBZ game. Put Goku and Vegeta on the cover, and maybe some Naruto and One Piece characters in the background.
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2005, 06:59:31 AM »
>All in good time, Ian, all in good time...besides, what's the PSP doing to rush it?

Not to jump to Ian's defense, but you know what?  I don't care about what the PSP is doing.  I care about the DS and the fact is, I bought my DS at launch and I have three whole games for it (not counting the Metroid demo or Pictochat).  I use the thing as a fancy GBA more than anything.  Personally, I'm getting sick of waiting for all the "great games of the future"...  I almost wonder if Nintendo should have just launched in Japan first and waited until sometime this summer to launch here in the states...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2005, 11:20:05 AM »
I can't believe people are STILL whining.  Yes, Nintendo should have done better, and I was right there bitching along with you in January and February, but the lineup is fine now.  Two of the best games on the system so far were released last month, go play one of them!  Those of you who aren't convinced yet, sucks to be you!  Kirby is awesome.  Everything I hear about Meteos is awesome too.  Nanostray comes out next week.  On top of those games, there are at least 8 others that are worth checking out.

Hopefully Jump Superstars will come here but I won't miss it too much otherwise.  There are plenty of other titles I'm looking forward too.  Looks good, though.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2005, 12:19:16 PM »
Call it whining if you want, but I'm tired of Nintendo of America delaying stuff until the point where they determine it's just not profitable for them to release it.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2005, 03:57:03 AM »
I cant wait to buy this game (japanese version)
card system in japanese will mess me up thu.

its natural for some ds owners to be urging more ds games, same happened to gc..... 6months after release people were crying out for doshin to be released in USA, 2 years later wasnt released and noone cared about the game anymore, because people finally got the variety of games they wanted (well some genres)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2005, 06:12:03 AM »
I like Ian, he's the Devil's advocate of the PGC Boards. Or maybe he's Eeyore, I donno.

BTW, what's the average ratio of preorders to first month sales in Japan? anyone?

I've noticed that Japan's best selling games lists have really fast turnover.  A game will sell 400,000 the first month and not even make the top 10 next month.

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2005, 09:08:29 AM »
Interesting observation...perhaps it is because they get so many more new titles (many of which are culture specific and never make it here.)
Or perhaps all the folks who want the game just basically get it in that first month.

Some games do have legs tho...and of course we have recent examples in the Brain Training Game, but titles like Pokemon as well I'm sure.

Offline ABlueflameA

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2005, 11:54:12 AM »
Howdy all,

If I had to guess, which I am about to, I would think that Jump Superstars would indeed make a U.S. appearance.  I think this because
1.) Most of the animes in it are/are going to be shown here.  Especially Naruto which starts this Fall and could be just as huge here as it is in Japan.  
2.) So what if we don't know who all the characters are, who knew who Roy and Marth were when SSB:M came out?  This just allows for you to get excited about new characters and then buy games based on them when their respective TV shows appear over here.
3.)  It has 200,000 pre-orders.  Its going to rake in enough cash for them to be able to take a slight "risk" and spend a few months working on an English version.

I could be completely wrong, but we'll wait and see. I would think that if it does make a U.S. appearance, I would look for it in the spring or maybe even summer of '06.

-Blueflame
Yea! Ramen!

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2005, 12:16:12 PM »

1.) Most of the animes in it are/are going to be shown here. Especially Naruto which starts this Fall and could be just as huge here as it is in Japan.

The cartoons have nothing to do with it.  These are all about comic books.  Of course... the popularity of the cartoons can only help.

2.) So what if we don't know who all the characters are, who knew who Roy and Marth were when SSB:M came out? This just allows for you to get excited about new characters and then buy games based on them when their respective TV shows appear over here.

Yeah really.  There are enough recognized and respectable characters for the US market already.

3.) It has 200,000 pre-orders. Its going to rake in enough cash for them to be able to take a slight "risk" and spend a few months working on an English version.

Bingo.  There would be some people that believe that JSS is a little "risky" or "niche."  JSS is nowhere NEAR as niche or risky as Trace Memory, Electroplankton, and Trauma Center... and yet they are getting localized.  

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2005, 02:41:08 PM »
gamefront is now reporting that first shipments to stores will be over 300,000!!

http://gamefront.de/
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2005, 08:38:11 PM »
Only that much?  There could be a shortage if all cards play out well...

Offline ABlueflameA

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2005, 03:54:43 AM »
Bill, was that a really bad pun?  "If all the cards play out well".  You do realize that cards play an integral role in Jump Superstars right?  Maybe its just the fact that its not even 9am yet and I'm at work.  I dunno.

In related news, other gaming sites, including this one, are predicting that Jump will not be coming over to the US.  How can a game that pre-sells 200,000+ copies and will in all likelyhood sell 3x that NOT come to the U.S.?

Blueflame
Yea! Ramen!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2005, 06:24:51 AM »
Why am I the funniest when I don't even know I'm making a joke?

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2005, 09:07:57 AM »

Originally posted by: ABlueflameA
In related news, other gaming sites, including this one, are predicting that Jump will not be coming over to the US.  How can a game that pre-sells 200,000+ copies and will in all likelyhood sell 3x that NOT come to the U.S.?

As mentioned in the mailbag here, rights issues. For example, the fact that DBZ characters appear in here is likely going to set off a red flag with Atari, as they have the US rights to that franchise in regards to video games and they need to protect their right to shell out crappy games related to it that sell well do to a lack of alternative.

Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline ABlueflameA

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2005, 10:57:57 AM »
well, nuts.

I can still hope, can't I?

Plus, I have a friend who's going to be living in Japan for a year (or more?) teaching English there, so getting an import copy for me should be rather easy, should I choose to import.

-Blueflame
Yea! Ramen!

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2005, 11:27:28 AM »
The rights issue can be worked around...after all, either everyone here is recieving license off of Jump themselves or they are specifically in a deal for the animation and not the manga. I think Jump would have some leverage there...I was also told a very important point, that the context of the original licensing agreement could make it a non-issue anyway.
Either way, I don't think a company such as Atari with DBZ would seek to block this game...it is sufficiently different from their own offerings and does not provide the background story from the actual license.

I think the big issue really comes down to the fact that the vast majority of those 150+ characters are not familiar with most Americans. Some of them certainly have their followings tho...and I wonder that even if Nintendo ultimate decides to not bring it themselves, could another company, say an Atlus or Majesco, obtain an agreement with Nintendo to localize.

I think this game will be money in the US as well...to kids getting it just for Dragonballz and Shaman King to anime fans and word of mouth among hardcore players if it ends up being a fun game...

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2005, 01:44:49 PM »
Yummy
Here's a link for some video from JSS.
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2005, 04:15:00 PM »
Couldn't Atari publish the US version?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2005, 05:41:54 PM »
I'd rather not buy a game with the Atari label, thanks...

Offline Famicom

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2005, 03:13:38 AM »
Because I have nothing else better to do, I decided to dig up a list of what titles are in the game, and how they fare or will be faring over here in the states within the next year.

The official count is 27 series, 5 hidden (so I can't assess them). Of the remaining 22, 11 of those can be found in the states in some form, be it anime or manga (for the interested, those 11 are Dragonball Z, Naruto, One Piece, Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakusho, Yugioh, Shaman King, Hikaru no Go, Hunter X Hunter, Prince of Tennis and Eyeshield 21). 4 more will be released in the states in some form within the next year (Black Cat, Death Note, D.Gray-man and Bobobobo) . There's potential room for 2 more (Ichigo 100% and Gintama) depending on how things go. The other titles either look too old or niche to probably be noticed at this point.

Among the 17 possibles listed, 13 have been animated (plus one pending), and 7 of those are either on the air, have aired, or will air within the next year in the states. 15 either have or will have manga available within the next year (16 actually, if you want to count the japanese version of Ichigo 100%, which can be found at certain Borders).

Going off these numbers, I'd say there's enough name recognition to work with, given who this game is targeted at. If Naruto becomes the big television hit everyone expects it to this September, the dream matches of Kenshin, Luffy, Goku and Naruto alone would move copies off shelves.

License wise there should be nothing sticky to work out on the manga side, since one company owns all of the Jump titles (and that company is owned by the japanese company that owns all the Jump titles). The animated side could get problematic though. 4Kids, owners of the Shaman King, Yugioh and One Piece animes always license merchandise rights to their titles, and they may or may not play friendly with their two biggest competitors (Funimation, owners of YYH and DBZ, and Viz, owners of Naruto and all of the Jump manga licenses) over the small cash-in potential of one game. Especially if the revenue has to be split multiple ways.
Oops pow suprise!

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2005, 08:32:27 PM »
Does anyone know what size cartridge SJS will be using?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2005, 08:55:34 PM »
Roughly 35x38x3mm, I don't have a ruler at hand.

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2005, 08:27:19 AM »
lol KDR.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2005, 04:14:06 PM »
I intend to import this game but I am wondering will I be able to get aroung without knowing how to read japanese. The card battle support system seems to be quite tex heavy. Just take a look over at IGN's preveiw.
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2005, 06:54:21 PM »
Don't know if anyone's said this yet, but pre-orders have exceeded 300,000, the original shipment.

Wow, them Japanese love their manga.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2005, 09:40:18 PM »
I wonder how many pre-orders it will get over the next week or so, now that the game is about to come out(Aug. 08) and commercials have surely been running about this game.

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2005, 08:37:42 PM »
Gaara isnt in the game, Boy....
Cant even say the word lol

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2005, 08:29:39 PM »

In Japan. Nintendo needs to get this kind of sales for a game in North America. "I hope this gets localized" and "when is this being released in America" shouldn't be the most common reactions to every DS game by North American DS owners.

EVERY Japanese DS game should get a US/Euro release. The "IT'Z TOO WACKY" rule doesn't apply anymore, publishers. I probably derailed the thread because I quoted Ian from the first page and didn't read the other pages. I'm cool like that.

Oh yeah, JSS. Stuff.  

Offline ABlueflameA

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2005, 03:47:42 AM »
I'm guessing that this thread has changed from a OMG TEH JUMP JUPERST4RZ pre-sold a butt load of games to more of a general thread about the game, therefore, with that assumption in mind, does anyone know what sort of reviews this game has gotten in Japan?  Famitsu scores?  I know IGN imported a copy and already put their hands on impressions up, they will do a review shortly.

oh, importers beware, this game seems to be difficult to understand without good knowledge of the Japanese language, kanji specifically.

-Blue
Yea! Ramen!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2005, 05:18:26 AM »
Famitsu - 8/8/9/7 (32/40)

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2005, 05:41:30 AM »
FLOP

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2005, 06:12:59 AM »
Well my copy is on the way from Lik-Sang.  I went ahead and imported because if you think logically, there is NO WAY it will get released here, and you can't blame anyone for this.  Think about it, the reason the game is possible in Japan is because all of the properties are affiliated.  Think of it this way...  what if each Nintendo franchise was picked up by a different company in the US, much in the way animes are?  How would they distribute royalties on a game like Smash Brothers?

I'm excited about the game though.  It supposedly has a pretty good single cart multiplayer mode so even friends who didn't import can play.  I'm kind of bummed Ty's impressions didn't mention it.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2005, 09:14:36 AM »
Pale - Do you know if it's full single card multiplayer or is it limited in characters/levels/etc?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2005, 09:24:47 AM »
From what I've heard thus far from people, the only limitation to single card is that it gives you a random "deck" for your special attacks and such.  I hope thats the only limitation, but I'm not sure yet.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2005, 02:12:03 PM »
Single cart multiplayer is:
Goku, Naruto, Luffy and some weird guy
with limited deck, which seems to be only a small ammount of cards from the game

I played It today, against 2 people
Quite fun, but its not a smash brothers by any account
Its very basic with 2 attack buttons, most of the support cards do the same thing as a support card with a diff characters (attack up, slow down ect.)
I played 1 player and a few missions (there are alot of places on the maps to fight people), was very easy, tap a random bunch of icons, press Y and then X... basic combo does tons of damage, easly beat a character in 2 combo's (or super combo, full bar, tap ur person, ur support person, and your person again)
Pushing or attacking someone off the screen is very cheap too, esp since there is no delay after combo's, you can just keep pushing back, till they fall off (you have to make the hole in the wall before hand).

Still is a fun game, and will be importing it in a few weeks  

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2005, 07:34:54 PM »
Are you sure that those are strict limitations to the multiplayer deadly or is it possible more can be unlocked?
---------------------

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2005, 09:06:46 PM »
So the singlecart deck is the same as the demo deck?

You can't combo continuously, using your super attack or any support characters uses one point from your hyper bar which only refills through fighting.

Pale: More can be unlocked by going multicard .

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2005, 10:32:50 PM »

Well my copy is on the way from Lik-Sang. I went ahead and imported because if you think logically, there is NO WAY it will get released here, and you can't blame anyone for this. Think about it, the reason the game is possible in Japan is because all of the properties are affiliated. Think of it this way... what if each Nintendo franchise was picked up by a different company in the US, much in the way animes are? How would they distribute royalties on a game like Smash Brothers?

I do not imagine it would be too difficult to get all of these licenses in one place.  Allow me to demonstrate.

That Fantastic Four game was released recently, yes?  That was from Activision.
Hulk: Ultimate Destruction comes out soon.  That's from Vivendi Universal.
Ultimate Spiderman?  Activision again.
X-men Legends II? Activision.

And yet EA has a game coming called "Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects"  that has characters from all of them.  Trust me.  things like this can be worked around.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2005, 03:55:33 AM »
But the difference is, Marvel owns all of those properties...  So Activision, Vivendi, and EA just had to go to Marvel.
---------------------

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2005, 05:24:41 AM »
By the way, it sold through 320,000 copies on day 1 in Japan.
---------------------

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2005, 08:55:30 AM »
As far as releasing the game in North America, would it be possible to remove certain characters or tweak existing characters (basically change the sprite, maybe alter some moves) so they become either (a) characters the publisher owns the rights to or (b) entirely new characters?

In fact, couldn't the developer completely remove all anime/manga references and make it a fighter with all new characters rather than existing characters?  Sure, it would lose some of its charm, but if many of these guys are unknown in the USA it wouldn't really make a big deal.  Plus, it's better than nothing, right?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2005, 08:59:42 AM »
But then it wouldn't sell at all. That is the main attraction for this game; sure, there may be good gameplay, but what sells it is the characters.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2005, 09:03:08 AM »

Originally posted by: Pale
By the way, it sold through 320,000 copies on day 1 in Japan.

Nintendo has been making some absolutely fantastic publishing decisions lately...

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2005, 09:03:53 AM »
The characters are what sell it in Japan.  Since many of the characters are unknown in America, it wouldn't have as big an effect.  Besides, if it could manage to sell 100,000 copies without the licenses, it seems like it would be worthwhile to tweak the game so it could be released in America.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2005, 09:25:00 AM »
I don't even know who owns the rights to all of them here.  I know Funimation has DBZ and YuYu... 4kids has one piece and naruto i think.  Ocean group may have Kenshin?  I'm not sure...
---------------------

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2005, 09:28:04 AM »
I really want this game.  Everything about this game seems top-notch.  I mean first you have a HUGE character selection that really mixes it up with variety, and then you add the touch screen comic mechanics to add strategy and depth above and beyond most 2D fighters...it just sounds GREAT!!!

I know in its current state it is impossible for Nintendo to release it in America without costing...too much.  I also know importing will be very hard because of the language barrier...so my question is:

1)Could we see a stripped down version of this game with few character hit in America?  Sure it would only be a shell of the original game, but I would take that over nothing.

2)Could Nintendo of America buy the rights to DC or Marvel characters and retool some of the graphics to fit those characters.  Yeah, it would cost alot of money to do this, but if the gameplay is solid I am sure they can find away to match DC characters to counterparts that are similar in design to those in JumpStar.  

3)Nintendo pay the big bucks and just release the game as is.  This game has enough character recognition to bring huge sales to the DS.  Most of the characters in this game are over in America in one form or another.  Even if you aren't a fan of the characters, but are a fan of animation or anime you would pick up the game for the art and style.  Nintendo could use this game to huge success in America.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2005, 09:54:41 AM »
From everything i've read, you really shouldn't be worried about the language barrier.  All it really does is increase the learning curve... as soon as good guides are published that will be easier.

Once you figure out how to play, unlike an rpg or something, you can continue without worrying about language issues.
---------------------

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2005, 09:59:53 AM »
alot of companys dont like giving up there licences
australian anime company madman has ben trying to get teknoman and pizza cats rights for years, but knocked back by disney.
You have to remember american rights are worth alot.

American version could just be "corocoro" manga game
pokemon, mario brothers, kirby, rockman exe, duel masters + others
proberly be easier to licence, since most of them are exclusive anyway  

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2005, 06:53:54 PM »
That'd be fun.

But, couldn't they translate the game to english? Just make a "Now in English!" version and get it to improters?

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2005, 12:58:32 PM »
Ty,

Thanks a ton for the sweet guide.  I haven't read it yet because I haven't received my copy and I always like to dive into imports blindly once, but I'm sure I'll hit it up very shortly after that.
---------------------

Offline therat

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2005, 08:25:16 AM »
any reviews on this game yet?

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2005, 07:23:44 PM »
Don't think so but I know there are some import previews up.

Offline MrMojoRising

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2005, 11:28:02 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
Famitsu - 8/8/9/7 (32/40)

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2005, 05:46:26 AM »
Well, my copy finally arrived.  It's a lot of fun, but I'm starting at guides a lot to help me figure it out.  The menu system is deep and confusing at times, but the actual gameply requires no Jp language know how.  Tys guide has been super helpful.  So far, when I hooked up with a friend for some download play, they gave us a random "deck" each time with 2 main characters in different combinations of Goku, Naruto, some affro dude, and luffy (is that his name? the one-piece guy).  Each time it was on the same stage.  I'm hoping that more will be unlocked as I play through single player.
---------------------

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2005, 06:26:37 PM »
I dont think you'll be disappointed there....from what I read, the game's sheer number of unlockables will keep you quite busy. It truly is for multiplayer tho...

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2005, 05:08:45 AM »
iv ordered my copy, should have it in 7days yay

Offline therat

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2005, 01:44:05 AM »
how could a fighting game exist in which you cant throw? its fun, but not a very deep game, prolly fun multiplayer

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2005, 05:16:59 PM »

Originally posted by: therat
how could a fighting game exist in which you cant throw?

By having fully customizable sets of fighters, helpers, and powerups?

Deck/Manga building brings a level to the game that I haven't seen in another fighter.  I think it's pretty deep.
---------------------

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2005, 10:20:56 AM »
I can understand why that game drove up DS sales, if mission mode remains that frustrating (City 1-7) I'll destroy my DS with the constant hits.
Whoever decided that a mission where you have two opponents, thirty seconds and lose if you are hit even once during the time limit should be mandatory deserves as many punches as I've given my DS (so far, I'm not done with it yet) because of that mission. ARGH, this is worse than Counterstrike and Soul Calibur 2 Weapon Master combined!

Offline Leon Esla

• Custom Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2005, 01:19:44 PM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1

which ='s PSP pwnage to the 5th power

That's wishful thinking at best.  The difference between units of PSPs and DSes in the States at this moment is approximately 200 units.  That's not 200 thousand, that's 200.  PSP is closing ground on the DS, and it's only a matter of months before they take top spot in the US Market.  Of course, the DS will probably continue to be superior in the Japanese market.
Member of the AllRPG exploration committee.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2005, 03:10:25 PM »
source?